Masters Running

MAY Challenge (Read 70 times)

TammyinGP

For May, we are going to do two different exercises - every other day.

Odd Days: Abdominal Crunches.  Start with 25 or so (less if even 25 is hard to do, or more if 25 is too easy). Each week, we'll add another 10 crunches for the challenge. I'll also throw in a few variations for those that want more of a challenge that will work the obliques also.

Even Days:  Wall squats.  Below is a little blurb I found on how to perform the wall squat properly.  I would caution anyone that has a back or knee injury to not do this one, or make personal modifications if you'd like to try it. BUT, it's not worth injuring yourself, so if this just doesn't feel right to you or you don't want to do these, then skip this one and just continue working on abs each day (could alternate crunches and planks for some variation if you want).

wall squats:

1. If you have a back or knee injury, condition or pain, ask your doctor if this exercise is appropriate for you. In fact, be very careful with your knees.  The wall squat exercise might load them with too much of your body weight, so be sure to err on the side of caution if there is pain.  This article only describes how to do this exercise; it does not recommend that you do it. Only your medical professionals (and your pain level) can tell you if you should.
    2. Stand against a wall, with your legs extended out.  Your feet should be about 2' away from the wall.  If you have knee pain or an injury, adjust your feet out so that when you bend and straighten, you feel no pain.  You should not feel pain or discomfort in your knees at any time during this exercise.
    3. Inhale, then exhale and allow your abdomen to fall toward your back.  Your gaze is straight in front of you, knees slightly bent and chin is slightly tucked.  Try to keep the back of your head touching the wall.
    4. As you exhale, bend your knees to slide your back down the wall.  Ideally, you will come to a level almost as low as sitting.  But let the presence of any pain guide you as to how far down you go.  Remain with comfortable knees!  You will get a better workout for your seat muscles that way.  Also, check to see that your knees do not come any more forward than your ankles.   Try to line them up with the area between the big toe and the 2nd toe.  This will protect them from injury.
    5. Check for knee pain again.  If need be, adjust the distance between the wall and your feet to accomodate good knee alignment and the level of challenge to your muscles.  In other words, it's okay to take them more than 2' away from the wall, if it will help you accomplish the movement safely.
    6. Hold the position for 5-10 seconds.  Breathe evenly.  If this position feels challenging to your muscles, pay attention to your breath -- that should help you get through your 5-10 seconds.  Eventually, you can work up to holding the position for 1-2 minutes.
    7. Move slowly back to the start position.  The workout for your seat muscles should intensify on the way back up.

If you choose to do the wall squats, start out this first week easy, which may be only doing 5 of these and holding the position for 5-10 seconds. We'll see how this first week goes for wall squats (I've never done them before, so not sure how my knees will fair with them either).

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks Tammy!  This challenge is perfect for me for May.

I like this challenge!!    I'm in!!

denise

Great challenges.  If you want to make the wall squats harder, put an exercise ball between your back and the wall.  Same with the crunches - on an exercise ball or a BOSU.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Thanks tamster, this will be great!

25 Abdominal Crunches done.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Last night I did about 30 crunches and a couple wall squats to see how those felt.

This morning I did 30 crunches.

Tammy

Hoodoo Guru

Awesome.  What are my two weakest muscle groups?  Legs and Abs.  I'll be Superman by June 1st.

The tangents are moot.

Mike E

MM #5615

50 crunches for me yesterday.

Mike E

MM #5615

2 sets of wall sits @ 20 seconds--40 seconds total.  As soon as my quads come back, I'll do more.

Marathon Maniac #957

25 full situps yesterday and one 60-second wall sit today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

slacker  wingone posting....

10 times  20' wall sits reporting...Sleepy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

oh my goodness! I am glad I logged on because I almost forgot to do wall squats! It was a long day with work and prelims . .

okay, I'll do 5 wall squats right now.

whew!

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

200 crunches

Mariposai

200m crhunches? wowow.

Just 50 for me.

Marathon Maniac #957

50 bicycle crunches

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."