Masters Running

Sunday 2.11.18 (Read 37 times)

mrrun

Just back from a 45 minute run in Manasota Florida (between Sarasota and Naples).  warmth is lovely!

have a glorious sunday!

Mike E

MM #5615

LIKE 👍

bioguy

We are under a flood watch at the moment. The backyard is a quagmire. I'm going to brave a 6 miler.  Much of the day is going to be baking cupcakes for my Darwin Day party in Biology class tomorrow. February 12 is Darwin's birthday (exact same day/year as Lincoln) and I show a short film about Darwin's life, some photos of my trip to the Galapagos a few years back, and we eat "natural selection" cupcakes.

Tailwinds!

Tramps

We are under a flood watch at the moment.

Flood warning here. Yikes.  It's been pouring all night.  Wind and thunder now too.

Just came in to see how Mike did.  I hope I get to read his report before the power

Be safe. Be kind.

bioguy

Got 3 miles into the run when the heavens let loose; thought I'd slipped out during a quiet spell. Anyway, kept at it and turned in 7.5 miles. Good mental training.

Back to cupcake making.

Tailwinds!

Marathon Maniac #957

Much of the day is going to be baking cupcakes for my Darwin Day party in Biology class tomorrow. February 12 is Darwin's birthday (exact same day/year as Lincoln) and I show a short film about Darwin's life, some photos of my trip to the Galapagos a few years back, and we eat "natural selection" cupcakes.

Tailwinds!

Very cool!

Henry and Marj - I am envious!

I set out in 33 degrees and slight miizzle, but a few miles in it turned to freezing rain/drizzle - not fun.  I am so tired of winter.  Anyway I got home at 8 miles drenched through and with frozen achy hands, changed to dry clothes and did another 6.8 on the TM.

14.8 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I rarely have the stamina or drive to do a Holly run. I'll do the outdoor part and plan on finishing and then... bleh, nope. Good for you for getting that done.

Bioguy, way to crank out the soggy miles! The Darwin Day sounds pretty cool, I bet the kids love it.

Tramps! Tramps! Come in, Tramps! Big grin

I wonder if Jlynne managed to sneak into Marj and Henry's suitcase for the FL trip. Deez is still down there, right? But not sure where. Would be fun to have the Boston folks meet up in FL. Enjoy the sunshine!

So I found this essay/article/whatever on returning to running after a stress fracture that looks very credible and sounds right. I kind of messed up Phase I (didn't go completely No Weight Bearing, or NWB) but I did back off significantly (although it seems the elliptical wasn't a good idea). I think I'll ease into Phase II with the pool running and add strength training and some stationary bike. I like how they ease you back, with lots of discussion on the 10% "rule" for building mileage. Hey, it's a plan of sorts. Today I'll head to the pool for an hour or so.

Henrun

I wonder if Jlynne managed to sneak into Marj and Henry's suitcase for the FL trip. Deez is still down there, right? But not sure where. Would be fun to have the Boston folks meet up in FL. Enjoy the sunshine!

No wonder our suitcase was so heavy!!!

I believe Deeze has already returned home. However several members of our book club are nearby and we’ll be getting together with them.

...Flood Watch here today too......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Warm and sunny here in Joshua Tree NP!  Sorry about the bad weather some of you are having.  Holly, I agree with Erika - after coming in feeling cold and wet, I'd head straight for a warm shower and bail on the rest of my run.  Kudos to you for sticking with it!

I've been climbing some and running some, and sitting in the sun reading, and walking my dogs.  Rough life!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike - Congrats on your race!

Question for the Computer-Savvy - Do routers go bad?  I'm having a heck of a time connecting, especially with my desk top which is right next to the router. (??)

If you don't mind a bit of a continuation of yesterday's 420 discussion:

Tramps - The State decided to go the same route as alcohol re transportation.  If you're a cultivator, it's illegal for you to transport your product to the manufacturer.  This, in effect, holds the cultivators hostage and at the mercy of the transporters.  There are other regulations of "you can't have this license if you have that license," but the transportation one is the worst.  It's a whole mess of crap, IMHO, but nobody asked me.

As far as the impact pot has on the community, it's kind of a double-edged sword.  The economy of this county has run on pot for decades, especially Southern Humboldt.  Set the non-payment of income taxes aside, SO much cash runs through this county from the growers.  The ugly side is the influx of the criminal aspect over the last 10 years or so, especially the Bulgarian mafia.  Yes, it's a real thing.  Also, the trimmers who converge on the area during trimming season then never leave.  They're mostly young people and cause big vagrant problem.  They are definitely not productive citizens and again, bring the criminal element with them.  Then there's the whole issues of immoral and unscrupulous growers basically holding trimmers hostage on their properties, not paying them, making them live in very subpar conditions etc.  It's a real mess.

But we also, like so many other places around the country have a terrible meth/heroin problem.  Our homeless//drug-addicted population has virtually exploded over the last 5+ years, with part of the issue being what Tet described, as well as the fact we have a fairly temperate climate year-round and our county pays out the highest general relief in the state.  And then we have a huge lack of affordable housing issue.  Our rents rival more urban areas like Santa Rosa, etc.

Anyway -

Yesterday after I got off work, The Hub and I went on a couple of walks in virgin territory for about 3 miles.  At the river, we had a rock-skipping contest . . .and my left arm is sufficiently sore.  It was a really good day.

Today was 3 EZ miles and now I"m working on invoices and tax stuff.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie - I'll definitely tell as many people as possible about the temperate climate down there but too many benefits up here to want to go anywhere else.  Me too.

ps - I used to be a champion rock-skipper in the days

when right shoulder moved around like it used to.

Boomerangs too.,

Holly - yep, I don't but if I did, I would definitely embrace running rule no. 1 in temperatures producing freezing rain . . . . but, then, where would be the satisfaction of overcoming the elements. Not much to do about floods, though.  Everyone be careful.

jay - 3.5 unplanned miles.
                          Sunny and cool (40o) - perfect for a run but, with six consecutive days of AquaFit and CycleCizing coming up this week, need to honor this Sunday as a true day of rest.  However, for some reason, went for a 45-minutes anyway.  Thanks marj and henry.  I haven't had a running calendar for 20 years or more but I'd sure get another one if it had you guys featured every month.  Love the BAA gear you wear from those days.  Do you go as a BAA pair sometimes?

Dave - we checked out a church of interest next door to the clinic Medicare seems to be sending us to more-and-more now-a-days.  No need for notes, though, as it’s all on their web page.  I wish MikeE's were too. Pretty soon, everyone'll probably be able to send in a hologram to fill the pews.

Holly - more than 30 Chinese Lunar New Year celebrations in-and-around Seattle.

Lunar 5K next week, though.

Year of the dog classic round sticker | Zazzle

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Love the picture, Marj and Henry.

Still sick bay here in TN.  I gave my husband my cold.  It's been raining and flooding outside, so I haven't missed much.  I wasn't sure I could eke out anything on the treadmill, but I managed 1.1. miles for the streak.  I'm not good at being sick.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

3.5 miles in overcast but turned to freezing rain oh boy that hurt weather.  But...it made me go faster..a random lady stopped her car and asked if I wanted a ride...I said no, I had to finish my run.  Soaked through when I got home I stripped and jumped into a hot shower.  Gee I was only out there for 40 min...you'd think I'd run 20 miles in it 

I wore my Miami half marathon hat out there...it didn't make it any warmer 

Trails Rock!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good game by your Sabres, Dave.  Hope Eichel is OK.

3.1 miles around the lake after ALMOST breaking down and going for a TM run.  Rainy morning and 41F was not enticing.  So I packed my gym bag and charged my MP3 player and headed off to the gym (that I've paid for for several years without visiting   ).  When I got there, the parking lot was packed, which would have meant a likely wait for a TM.  Since I saw several folks out running on the way down, I felt shamed into heading home and changing into damp weather gear.  Somewhat above a mizzle, but it turned out to be a fairly quick (for me) 9:22 pace.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.