Masters Running

40+ going beyond.... Inauguration Week 1/25......... (Read 535 times)

jfa

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you. Thomas Jefferson Love him or not, let's all be optimistic and support our new President. Good to see Cindy on last weeks thread!! Hey there! Thanks for the kudos( I think) Kelly but we all know that when the weather breaks, I'll be looking at your heels again! As for me, I'm trying to hold onto 40-49mpw then increase for a spring marathon.Also eyeballing one for fall.Working on my form and feeling good.(fingers crossed). Good runs, workouts and rests for everyone. Started the week strong with a 16.7 miler.First third with BB, second two thirds without. Warmed all the way up tp 37*. Smile

Evnin', Folks - Dragged my butt out for a tough 5-miler this a.m. It was such a gorgeous day, I had to. I don't think I've been eating enough the last couple of days to sustain a good workout, but I made it through in just a little over 50 minutes. One good thing about not knowing what I can and can't eat - I've lost 6 pounds in the last almost 2 weeks. Yee haw! Also got to use my new G305 today, and am playing with it tonight, trying to figure out all the stuff it can do. Fun! Jewels - The outfit sounds cute, and it's even cuter with the great price! But I echo Kelly - no pumps, chicky, only tennies. Evil grin Wink We have crappy shopping here for women, unless you're retired or 18 and under. And no one - I mean no one - carries women's slacks with an inseam longer that 29". A few years ago, I actually took a measuring tape and went to every single store in our crappy mall and measured anything that looked like it'd pass for work slacks. I have a 31" to 32" inseam. Can you say, "high waters??" Ev - Are ya doin' yer shin exercises? Sounds like the DW is doing great with her running! My brother came up from Healdsburg yesterday to help my dad work on his VW today. I went down and spent about 4 hours with 'em, watchin' the progress. I know my dad enjoyed having his two kids together, even if only for a short time. Joe - You're right. Whether or not you're happy with who our new President is, this country needs everyone to ban together and turn things around. It's going to be a long hard road, so prayers for our leaders are important. Here in California, things are so bad, we may end up with IOU's from the government for tax refunds. Does that mean I can give an IOU on the taxes I owe?? Probably not. Tongue

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good morning all..... Thanks for getting us going Joe, super nice 16 + miler you did! Sounds like you had a decent run and a nice visit with your dad and brother Leslie! Dang 6lbs. in 2 weeks... Kelly, I can promise you I won't wear pumps/heels with the warmup suit. But I can't promise you I'd wear tennis shoes either. I hate tennis shoes........only when I run would you catch me wearing a pair. I'm just not into the sneaker look. I have a couple of pairs of sporty "slaps" that I like to wear with clothes like that. I live in a very layed back area. I mean l-a-y-e-d back......nothing at all fancy about where I live, so flip-flops, slaps and sandals are all I own besides my running shoes. O.K., more info then needed to explain my footwear........yes, and I do wear a little makeup (when I'm not running) No work or school today because of MLK day so will either hit the gym or go run...... Have a great day everyone........Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
          Hi there 40's, Arla, I don't think I ever congratulated you on your awesome Marathon debut! You did all the right things to prepare, and did it up right. Not that many people recover as well as you did, but I know it's because of what you put into it up front, and that you were smart about how you ran. Way to go, and sounds like many more to come! Thanks for starting us off Joe. Nice 1/3 Buddy run you had there Smile. Sounds like you're enjoying the ride. Leslie, glad you have found a silver lining in the form of the 6 lbs. That 305 is pretty cool. Have you tried uploading to the motion based website? Kind of cool....gives you your "moving" pace vs. total pace, whereas the regular software does not. Glad it's working well for you in the trees. Took yesterday off, and not sure about today. Having what I think is some IT band issues outside rt. knee. Have had a few twinges of that before, but this time it's more noticeable. Also bottom outside of rt. foot was painful after Sat's run and house cleaning marathon. It's a little better after a rest day and some ice last night, but walking still not great. I just ask hubby if he want's the aches and pains report and he kind of gives me this "why do you do this to youself?" look. Co-worker is coming over to train with me today so she can take some of my accounting work, I've stopped pet sitting, and our church finally got the database (with web access) up and running so I can abandon the spreadsheet I've been using for the last 6 mos. and recruit some helpers on that front as well Smile. Soon I may go from too much to too little work, but right now that sounds good. Hope to do a better job of keeping up with you this week!
          Progress Trumps Pefection
            Thanks Joe, for starting us off this week. Nice run. You've got a good base going into that spring M training. fatozzig....nice 5er. Nice score with the garmin! Yes, I have been exercising the shins....Big grin Jewels.....I think we need pictures of the warm up suit! hi Carol...I vote for resting the IT. Good running to you 40s+
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Morning Gang! Smile Thanks for the start Joe! Cool Give the Budmeister a scratch from me & Mairead! A similar quote that I like: (interpreted, modified & unk source) "What you do screams so loudly at me that I can't hear what you say!" Love those shirts Arla! Will have to check that place out....we got a couple from www.onemoremile.com too...."Kick Assphalt" "Running My Mass Off" "Got Toenails?" & "Sorry, I've Got to Run (with my Dog!)" & pawprints all over it....smaller selection than cafepress...but still some fun ones... Leslie: AVOID THE CRUD!! Zicam, EmergenC in orange juice, NyQuil/DayQuil, Gatorade.....whaddeva it takes! Wink while I didn't full on get it, it did kinda take the stuffin outta me! Tongue & I guess the current style w/those pants is to wear them baggy (longer options) & down around your hips (I just can't get into that!) Ended up passing on covering yesterday's shift for a co-worker who's slacking in Cali recovering from the Holidays - traded it in for marathon house cleaning! Been much warmer here of late (on track for 64* later!!) which makes thick soup outta the yard & having 3 "little" doggies in this house & 2 in the other......Roll eyes thank goodness for my Dyson! + just trying to put everything back from the holidays' disruption...wound up the day w/movies, popcorn & beer w/Doug...Wink ...all day long, we kept saying, "we need to go for a run!...as soon as we get this one thing done..." which of course (per Joe's list) didn't exactly happen that way! So, movies it was! ....& further house remodeling discussion/planning....seems the kids from Hastings are considering our offer to move in here for awhile....better access to support goods & services...specifically, the Colorado Commission for the Blind, which is located right here in Littleton & offers more stuff than Nebraska's (course it does, we have a bigger tax base!)...& they kinda liked seeing everybody & having help w/the babies, etc.....the open basement needs to get finished in this Winter/Spring.....Tongue Gotta go - or I won't get a run in today either! Surprised Ciao!~ Cindy
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

here in Littleton
                Hi Folks, just a quick peek at work for now. Cindy, before I forget (again), I knew a guy in the Navy from Littleton.His name was Mike Linheart or Lynnheart, or some thing like that. Just a shot in the dark, he's about our age. C ya's Joe

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - looks like you've got 40 - 49 in the bag, you're gonna do fine upping that weekly mileage - watch out for Kelly! Bet you'll slaughter your PR! Leslie - I hear that you can opt to apply your refund to next year's taxes. Better than getting an IOU that will come who-knows-if-or-when. Jewels - OK, flip-flops get the green light Wink You'd be cute in that outfit with tennies, too. Carol - take care of that IT thing. Ask hubby to get you a massage as an early Valentine's Day gift Evil grin I'm chasing 2000 mi this year, off to a bad start what with tapering and then un-tapering...trying to resist overdoing it...but man it's a gorgeous day for a long run! Arla

Ex runner

saltyd

Hi All, Went out yesterday for test run on my new shoes. I went to the Expo for the PF Chang, even though I wasn't running it, I figured I'd check out the deals during lunch break from Jury Duty. I found some "worn once" Brooks Cascadias that seem to feel and fit nicely. They seemed to feel good yesterday too. Tomorrow I'm planning to try them out on my hill work. The weather here is too nice to not be outside, since I know in 4 months or so, it will be too hot for me. I'm thinking about doing a Super Bowl 5K that morning or the morning before. Stay safe. Salty
                    Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

flatland mountaineer

Long story short just got home. Did a pretty nice off trail snowshoe tour with a friend of mine. Didn't really think I was tuned up enough to do backcountry Randonee skiing this trip. I did a short little recovery run this morning, apparently running and snowshoeing use different parts. more later Chaos Canyon Rocky Mtn National Park another on the way up

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jewels - Slaps?? Carol - Use your rolling pin on that ITB. You'll want to say a few "words," but it'll help. MTA: Thanks for the info on the web site. Will check that out. Arla - 2,000 miles this year? Good luck! We know you can do it. Joe - Love the new pic of the Budster. Farmer Jim - Beautiful picture! Cindy - Nice to hear from you again in such a short time. Wink Salty - Howdy! Check back more often. Did 3 miles w/about 45 min of strength/core. I think I could've done more, but I was really hungry and feeling "weak." Smile Made pancakes. The Hub's turned out good, I burned mine. It was absolutely gorgeous today. We went for one of our famous drives around town. Just drove around checkin' out houses, yards, etc. Nice and relaxing. Then hit Borders, and the Hub bought a book on oil painting. He's a budding artist. Not great, not terrible, but most importantly, has fun.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Just back from dinner and sitting by the fire with my 1/2 marathon friend. Came home with 1/2 a foam roller (cut in half with electric steak knife), a foot roller thingie, and a tip on where to get a nice wraparound knee icer thingie. So I should be set to cure whatever ails me. All parts feeling better after 2 rest days, so I'm ready to run again tomorrow. My friend's hubby is a Ft. Worth police sarge and is in DC working the inauguration. As Joe said, love our new prez or not, it is an historic event, and I'm really happy for him that he gets to be part of it. Arla, sorry I forgot to mention before...the "Why is everyone following us?" t-shirt has made the cut Smile Jewels, yes, please explain "slaps"????Confused Cindy, yer making me feel like a slacker...dang...you got a lotta irons in the fire. Arla, I have no doubt you'll make that 2,000. Did you give in to that long run temptation? Salty, sounds like you're getting back in the flow. New shoes never hurt Wink R2, jealous is all I can say. Wow! Leslie, your pancake story made me laugh...how many times have I done that! We must stop multitasking and focus on the cakes. Ev and Joe -- hiya!
                          Progress Trumps Pefection
                            Good morning everyone. Planned on hitting the weights and running 4 EZ miles on the TM but stayed in bed. After shoveling snow 3 times in the last two days and running 23+ miles since Saturday and then taking my girls sledding yesterday (trudging up the hill)...well...I felt like I got hit by a bus when I woke up this morning. The extra hour of sleep was more beneficial than any running or weight lifting would have been. That 2000 mile pace bunny is relentless though. I'm going with a co-worker for an easy run at lunch. My wife wants to join the local Y so I'm ending my gym membership and signing up for the family plan. I'll now be able to add swimming to the repertoire Big grin. Fatozzig - congrats on the 6lbs! You're right. If you're losing 3 lbs a week, chances are you could add a little more quality calories for your workouts. Do you use FitDay or DailyPlate? Nice job! Good runs everyone.

Fatozzig - congrats on the 6lbs! You're right. If you're losing 3 lbs a week, chances are you could add a little more quality calories for your workouts. Do you use FitDay or DailyPlate? Nice job!
                              No, I don't do any calorie counting. I'm confident that once my medical issues are figured out, it'll come back with a bang. Big grin Carol - You have enough "thingies" now that you should pert near be feeling mighty fine! EG - I think that extra sleep was well deserved. Did 5 miles this a.m. with 6 steep, long hill repeats. Ended up with the following results: 1. 10:29/9:04/138 2. 10:00/8:32/150 3. 9:23/8:33/155 4. 12:45/8:00/149 (hill repeats started) 5. 9:56/8:32/152 6. 9:41/8:38/153 (.25 miles) I decided last week that I would start tackling the The Hill right by my house. Well, last week was all well and good because we had a full moon. I got down in that area this morning and was like, "Crap! There's no light! Ah -no full moon this time." Evil grin Decided to run the other one right there that at least has one street light. The problem would be the cars flying over the top on their 100-mile an hour descent. Only a few cars went by, but I kept a sharp ear tuned to any engine sounds. I had also forgotten my reflective vest and felt quite nude and exposed without it. Yesterday morning I forgot my inhaler and had to go back for it. What gives? 40s dementia?? All in all, a good workout.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Greetings my fellow fortyish friends- For all of us that are chasing that repulsive little rodent-like rabbit, a new avatar to reflect our intentions. Beautiful pictures JIm! Carol- take care of that IT band.Funny looks from non -running spouses are the norm around here. Jewels- Glad you had the day off. Ev- how are you feeling?Hitting the road again soon? Leslie-please refer to last week's thread.Don't say that I didn't worn you.Good job with your hills. Arla- Love those slogans too.Good luck with the 2K plan. Be careful in the Swamp,things can get dicey down there! Cindy-sure do have your hands full.Glad your weather is breaking a bit. Hiya Salty! Good luck with the new shoes! Welcome George .Nice chunk of runs there! Sledding sounds too hard like fun! 8.5 snowy miles on the hills at lunchtime today. Began the run with one President ,ended it with another.Major milestone for me today, exactly 3 years since I last smoked a cigarette.Sure do prefer the life of a non-smoker! Yes