Masters Running

Sunday, June 1st Daily (Read 370 times)

Good morning........welcome to JUNE! NHL hockey is close to an end.......the NBA playoffs are at the finals with the Celtics and Lakers facing off for yet another series.......College softball and baseball are both in their "World Series".....Major League baseball is well into the season........schools are at their end........summer plans and schedules are being quickly made. Gardens are being planted and the price of gas rises almost daily. The political scene remains on the front page. This is JUNE of 2008. We have a few people doing races today, but not that many. Good luck to those who do. Thanks to yesterday's racers for your reports already showing up. I trust each one has a GREAT start to their running for the month.....maybe with a long run today. Prayers and healing wishes to those nursing injuries. Have a wonderful day, whatever your lot in life may be today. Joey
    Vista

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks visat. I don't know much about hockey but get to help welcome Mariposai at the Ipenema Restaurant and Lounge reveling in Brazil's 3-2 win over Canada in Seattle last night while she's here for a special Governor's Conference meeting. She's really something. Though DQ’ing at mile 42 of yesterday's planned 100K (62.2 miles) that I did okay last year, it was the longest run of the year and got me a timely ride to finish in time to see Francesca finish her first 100K and, in only six weeks, the third ultra in her life after a single marathon back in 2005. Running Trivia - By coincidence, we were running our 100K at the exact same time of another famous 100K in her hometown in Italy that started at 3pm in the afternoon (6am here just as we were starting too).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good morning Vista and Tet! 11.75 H&H miles at a slow slog. 1:48 and change. Felt like a slug. A sweaty slug. HR stayed down for 8 miles, but went up pretty good the last 4. I guess I gotta acclimate myself to the summer weather again. We went out to a local Greek Restaurant last evening with some friends. It was amazing. Everything was great, but the Baclava desert was to die for. I dreamt happy Greek Food and Belly Dancer dreams. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

12 humid miles today in what turned out to be a mini-adventure. First time running this route and I thought I was heading down a well-maintained gravel road. After about a mile, though, it turned into rugged rocks, ruts, gullies, a couple downed trees, pooled water across the road, and lots of branches just big enough to trip me up but just small enough to be tough to see. And the sweat flies are out too. Wasn’t expecting all that so it turned into a run/walk sort of a day. Kind of fun though.

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP

Thanks for the grand start Vista Tetsujin, you should have your own action figure. Wow. oo pah!!! Your run sounds like a good time Tramps. The new dog, Ace and I put in 4.18 miles this AM.My longest run in over a month. We saw four knee high fawns. A couple of yearlings and a number of white tailed deer. He paid them no interest. He did not care about the horses. Nor the birds. Does not mark his territory. He seemed mildly interested in the chicken farm. The info at the animal shelter says he likes to chase bikes. This is not true. He does go after cars though. We need to work on that. We have seven acres we'd like to let him run around on, however, the car chasing thing may prohibit that.

SteveP

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, Cute dog SteveP... Summer is here...mid-seventies here this morning going into the 90's... 15.05 miles of hills @ 9:21 pace...my longest in a while. It got a little tough towards the end of the run with temps approaching 80F. I'm cooling off in the pool after breakfast...everyone's welcome to jump in Smile Good running today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

...morning vista//......''.Southern Hockey, Catch the Fever''.......... ===== .......45min lackluster run,,,,,,coolish, windy, stormclouds swirling overhead, What's Not to Love?? ..... ...................good running guys...........Off to my 2nd Church....... ========

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Had to cut my run short as I have to go to work again this morning...8@7:55 pace... Tet-You only ran 42 miles...It takes me all week to run that much...good goin'
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  spacityrunner

SteveP: nice dog, hope you can work out the car issue Vista: thanks for the great intro to June On June 15th it will be exactly one year since the PF took me down. I am disappointed that I have not made more progress with this injury. But, nothing much I can do about it as I have tried everything to make it go away. Today I was able to go out and do 3 miles at ~15 m/m. I am blessed to be able to get out there. I must remember this. My new C25K running group at work has 30 interested members. I am hoping that out of the 30, we will get 10 core members at the end. We will start next week, Monday. It is lots more work that I had planned on, but it is rewarding. One lady that showed up for the planning meeting has never, ever exercised before. This is the person I want to show how much fun it is. Good runs and good day everyone

Trails Rock!

Thanks for the great start Vista Fantastic 63F with lots of sun and gentile breeze. 9 wonderful miles on a beautiful trail, although there were a lot of sticks down from yesterday's storms. DW turned around at 4.25 miles, I turned at 4.5 and had to run hard for 1.5 miles to catch her. We finished in 1:30:30 a 10:04 pace for my 9 miles. As beautiful as this trail is it will soon be taken over by horse flies and mosquitoes. Tramps when I'm feeling adventureous I always take water, gel & cell phone just in case. Liz the new running group sounds great! Steve the new dog has a very loyal look to him & would look terrific in a cape Wink

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

pfriese

Good morning, A nice overcast morning for a run around the lake. 8.2 miles @ 9:35/mile pace. Now it's time for yard work. If I finish early enough, maybe a bike ride later this evening. Have a great Sunday. Paul
                        Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning ! Wow Tet, you were up early!! After Sat's 100K, no running for me..no walking either .... I'll work on my RR later on and give away the answer to Jon's trivia . Happy Sunday and runs to all! Francescal

King of PhotoShop

Another 12-miler to start my week, this one at 9:17's so a bit quicker than last week's. Tet, stay away from Mariposai. Steve, that dog reminds me of the dog on Little Rascals. Very cute. Spareribs
                            wildchild

Carolyn

Happy June! I went for a rare morning run today, to beat the heat. It's supposed to hit 72 degrees here today! It's already warm, and bright sunshine. What a beautiful day here in the Rocky Mountains! The aspen trees are just starting to leaf out. They're about a week later than usual, as they usually get leaves by Memorial Day, but it was a snowy May. I startled a mule deer on my run, and watched it bound away into the woods. I ran about 4.5 hilly miles to make this a PR mileage week for me, 36.9 miles. Rest day tomorrow, as I'm feeling tired. Did I mention that I signed up for my first half marathon next Saturday? Cool Its called Run the Rockies, and goes from Copper Mountain ski area to Frisco. The weather forecast for race day is mostly sunny, highs 54 to 64. Sounds perfect! Although on Wednesday and Thursday they're calling for chance of thunderstorms and snow showers. Shocked Copper Mountain is at about 9800 ft, and Frisco is at about 9100 ft. It's mostly downhill with a few rolling hills in the second half. So hopefully all my training on the hilly dirt roads in my neighborhood will pay off - the highest point on my usual route is 9600 ft, and I have to run over this hill twice, on the way out and the way home. Steve, your dog looks fast! And he must be smart, too, since he got himself adopted by you and DW. Do you know how old he is?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Not a chance to read just yet. My FIL is back trying to get me back on the roof! Big grin 6 miles easy 10:26 pace. I'll catch up later.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM