Masters Running

Sat 4/12 Master Boomers (Read 517 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Just getting ready to leave for my 5K this morning....the race site is a about 3.5 miles away, so I am going to easliy jog there for a good warm up, race, than run home. I will let eveyone know how it goes later on. The weather took a down turn as it's 39 degrees, pouring rain, and super windy....PR may have to wait for another day. Have a great day of runs - workouts - rest, or whatever today. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

So, last night, the weather report was for torrential downpours here at the coast. In-accu-weather strikes again. Knowing how I live in weather opposite world, I set the alarm. Kids were restless all night, but when the alarm went off, I got up, and whoo hoo! no rain! Renee and I quickly got ready and headed out for 7 miles. By the time we made our first turn to the north, there was blue sky over us! Met up with a dog friend on the boardwalk and stopped the watch and walked with the dog and her people for awhile. Smile On the way back I headed for the beach, which was wet and spongy but do-able. Then, after coming around the fishing pier, the first groomed sand of the season! Awesome! As this was my last mile, how nice not to be sinking in wet sand, but sinking into fluffy, drying sand. The only thing I can compare it to is a last ski run of the day realizing you're too tired and you hit a perfectly groomed run to ease on back to the base. It was that kind of spritual lift! Finished strong. Tendonitis seems to have gone away completely. Yes! Good like biketm in you 5K today! Good runs to everyone!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Biketm - Good luck on that race. PR"s come when they are sometimes least expected. nonoruns - nice that there was no rain and you got your miles in. I am off form my first ever 35K run today along Ottawa's canals downtown. Rain/Sleet predicted but nothing yet (please hold off). I am hoping I can keep up with a fast masters runner today. She is very very nice and a 3 hour run together should tell us a lot. It's okay eveyone Tall is moving very slowly on the dating scene again. Just meeting people. I just hope I can finish the run. I have four 35K runs in the next five weeks, the only missing week is next week's half marathon race in Montreal. In running my past marathons I had only once ever run 32K in practice. So this should be a fun run. Have great runs everyone Frank

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Good luck Tim and Tall! Nono – nice run – glad the tendonitis is gone. Erika – you have my total sympathies with your house woes. CNYrunner – your granny is awesome! 7.2 easy-paced miles for me today (ave pace 10:01) in 46 windy degrees. I got my hair cut and highlighted last night and when I woke up this morning it had neither fallen out or broken off – what a relief! This is always a fear of mine when I have this done…. Smile Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Saturday morning - 7:00 AM - 42 degrees, light rain and windy: 8.26 miles w/100m strides last mile: 9:13 - 8:40 - 8:21 - 8:16 - 8:13 - 8:23 - 7:59 - 7:22 - 1:40 - AVG HR - 135 Feeling good and strong can't wait for Boston! Cool
              Good Luck biketm, and tall.. Excellent runs this AM.. Rest day for me.. Tomorrow...last 12 miler before Boston....still nursing this shin...looks like it is gonna hang on for a long time....until I can give it some serious rest... Good running ALL...
              anachrotech

Good luck on the race Tim. Holly S - that has happened to me. Not fun. 3 miles on the treadmill this morning in 32:45. Felt ok. Earlier in the week I had "tired legs" but noticed some chest congestion from what I believe to be allergies, so I didn't get my planned run in on Tuesday or Thursday. Nuts. Good runs all. ETA - just got an iphone - the thing is sweet. Now when I hit the road that's all I need cause it also has my music. Less stuff to carry is always a bonus.
                btb1490

Welcome to the weekend! yesterday... JJJ- Enders Island....ooooh, how nice! You had little choice but to relax there, and enjoy the scenery! Did you have some Mystic Pizza while there? enke- Phew, we are all so glad you found your legs! They were causing quite a stir, running around town all by themselves without a body attached. Keep them, will you? Aamos- please don't implode. What a mess that would be to clean up. nono- yoga isn't tough enough as it is, eh? You son must be like a cat... always landing on his feet! PDR- if you are still looking for something to do, my driveway needs cleaning as well. You can stop by on your drive up to Boston. I'll email you directions. CNY- your granny make ME smile too, and I haven't even met her! Eliz- congrats on the long run and record week! As long as your running is ok, everything else is moot! Wink Coach- I'll bet Aruba won't be half as fun as Boston will be next weekend... yeah right! wildchild- very cool about the new trail! I'm jealous! Pictures would be nice... Smile deez4boyz- seeing another doc can't hurt. Keep up with the therapy please and get better by next weeekend, that's an order! Mariposai- I'm glad you got through your workshop relatively ok. Nice thought to move to SA during the spring, I'm sure you wouldn't mind that! Get a note from her and tell everyone it's doctors orders. dg- what are you tapering for? You seem to have tapermadness 24/7/365 Wink evanflein- 50's would be great, maybe we could ask for a tailwind too? That's not asking for much, is it? Actually, Boston can have a very strange phenomonon with the wind. You can have a tailwind at the start, but then after about mile 21, as you approach the city, the breeze kicks in from the water and you end up with a headwind. Weather is often what makes Boston such a tough race, but you are ready for anything! evryday- can I borrow your wife? Wink What a sweetie, and what a lucky guy you are! stumpy- I think your running shoes will be just fine using them as biking shoes. If you were biking 300-400 miles a week, I'd say they might show some unusual wear. The toe straps might cause a little wear on the uppers, and the edges of the pedals may dig into the soles a bit, but shouldn't cause anything that'll prevent you from running in them. evanflein- I'll be a full-blown participant pretty soon... That's what she said! today... biketm- you're probably done with your 5k by now. Where's the damn report! Wink Hope it went well, Mr. workout maniac! nono- what a great morning you had! Groomed beaches! That must've looked cool to have your footprints as the only thing on the beach! I'm glad all seems well with the foot! Tall- do they still close the roads by the canals on the weekend? What an awesome place you have to run there! Holly- ahhh, the final cut and highlight before the big race. NOW you are ready! mainerunnah- you are gonna be awesome in Boston! Care to share a time goal with us? Tim- how about using this last week before Boston as your rest? It can only help at this point. anachrotech- always good to hear from you! I like hearing the words "felt ok". Smile Have fun with your new toy! I drew the short straw today and am at work this AM, babysitting the few people who are here. Hit the gym beforehand and got in a short bike and elliptical workout. Had some wicked cool thunderstorms overnight, hopefully the trails won't be too muddy later for a hike with pooch. Lacrosse practice last night was a hoot, it was drizzling the whole time and the field was all muddy. The girls had a blast with it, but I'm sure the parents didn't appreciate the aftermath! Have a great "rest" of the weekend, gang! Be safe out there!
                    you guys and girls are all sooooooooo funny!! i was never part of a running forum when i ran my 2 marathons so listening to all this is hysterical - we did have a bit of our own taper crazies at work the year i ran Boston because there were a few of us running, but nothing like this!! so fun!! Big grin it is very hard to post when you can't run and feel this frustrated - i can see why people drop off for awhile, but i am here and reading and want to be part of all your excitement.........not sure if what i'm doing OR NOT DOING is because i'm depressed from not being able to run or if i should just rename it SERIOUS REST - ya, that's what i'm going to call it.........anyway, i have done nothing since i went to the gym the other day besides work (lots of walking there) and sat thru an agonizing 2 hour+ dance recital last night to watch my twin 7 yr old neices in 1 little number --- ugggggg - but they are so adorable and i loved seeing their faces after the show!! ok - enough --- need to go stretch and do some of those proprio exercises then off to the warehouse TO FILL THE BAGS!!!!!! yes THE BAGS - for all of you AWESOME marathoners!! ok - yes, there's my spirit!! it's still here!! the pre-race pasta party is going to be sooooooo fun!!!! woot woot!! Big grin

denise

Good morning Boomers. Got up and dressed for a long run outdoors this morning, then looked out the window. There was 3 inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down, with an added bonus of wind gusts about 30 mph. This is spring??? Decided there was no way I was strapping on YaxTrax in April and headed to the Y. The training schedule I'm following for the half said 10 miles today. I could only manage 9. Why is running long distances on a treadmill so hard? Confused Note to self - don't eat big bowls of ice cream the night before a long run. Tim and Tall - good luck with your races today. Hope you both have good speed and good weather. Nonoruns - glad you enjoyed your run on the beach. Must be nice to run on sand instead of snow! btb - who said girls can't be mudders?! Loved your pictures - enjoy your walk with your dog later. Holly - you'll be looking good at Boston with a fresh haircut and highlights. Did you go with everyone's suggestion and buy something red? Mainerunnah - sounds like you're ready for Boston. Enjoy your taper week. Tim - take it easy on that sore shin. You want to be ready for the 21st! I refuse to shovel snow this morning. My dad had an old saying: "the good Lord put it there, let the good Lord take it away." Good Saturday runs, everyone. Jeanne
                      Mariposai

btb, what a good idea you have about getting a prescription from my doctor to move to SA every spring...hummm I will have to try that approach. So Holly is going to look nice and crispy for her Boston race Blush. did you buy anything red yesterday? I see Tim is going green today...jog 3 miles, race 3, jog back home 3. Thank you brother. nonoruns, great news about the tendinitis being gone completely. Tall, your run today sounds like fun. I bit you can keep up with the faster masters. wa5yon, just keep on pampering that shin for a little while longer. It is amazing how many little twinges we all have when taper time comes along...but it shall pass. You will do great in Boston. Another day of rest for me today. I will do my last LR tomorrow morning to mimic marathon starting time as my last dress rehearsal (asthma permitting). I have a long day ahead of me in the "house cleaning front", but for now...it just feel good to start the morning slowly drinking mate and reading the news. Good luck to the weekend racers!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BTB-Lacrosse in the mud...ahhhh memories...thems were good times... Going to meet my running club soon for a little jaunt around town...I'll post later... Mariposai-Did you buy anything red?
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          Dave59

Non-race report: (Race for a Reason 5k) I woke up to 42° and a steady rain. I got ready for the 5k and drove 32.5 miles to downtown Mt. Pleasant Michigan only to be greeted by a sign that the race has been moved to next week. No word why but I assume it was weather related. When I got home I checked the race website and there was no mention of a date change. Since I was already psyched to run in the cold and rain I headed out for a run around the neighborhood. By now it was 38° and a rain/snow mix. I decided to head out on a 6 mile twisting course where I am never too far from home. My goal was a minimum of 3 miles and from there I would evaluate how cold and wet my feet were. I made it to the 4 mile mark before I decided I had enough and I headed on home. Total distance ended up at 4.9 miles. I already have a 5k scheduled next week, so I won't be going back to this one.

5 easy miles in neighborhood w/DW. I seem to be recovered from recent bout w/ a intestinal virus. Tried to run Thurs. but had to keep it short, legs were a little shaky. Tim running 3.5 miles to the race in the pouring rain, wind & 39 degrees Shocked That alone should count as a PR Wink Bob sounds like that would have been a good time to teach sliding, Big grin oh never mind that's baseball, not lacrosse. Although maybe lacrosse players have the need to slide sometimes? Everyone is glad Holly's hair didn't fall out Clowning around Boomers Run The Country!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mariposai

Mariposai-Did you buy anything red?
                                I not only bought something red, I am wearing it right now Cool. Hey...how does NOD M looks for you as a training run?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard