Masters Running

Dec. 28 Bewildering Runs and such ... (Read 414 times)

I really didn't feel much like running today. DS and his GF are in town and we all went out to eat last evening. I found a nice Sam Adams seasonal brew that was tasty as could be, and the food was okay too. The 'shrooms didn't sit well though. Anyway, got up and out at 5:45 AM. Ran 13.1 miles at what felt to be an easy, under control pace. It ended up being run in 1:53 with the last 6 miles all between 8:10 and 8:28. Avg HR 141. Max HR 155. What's with all this easy speed lately? This was a bewildering run ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nice run, Bill. It's good to see you running so easily these days. And early. Here we are just getting ready to go out the door.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hill Runner

Good morning Bill & Lou, Bill, you are running well now, it's time for a nice fast, flat marathon...soon! I'm not running today after my LR yesterday...as SR commented yesterday...although I tend to run long whenever I run, I usually run every other day. It seems to work for me as far as lack of injuries and improving my marathon times. I also only run hills which is not the norm. Enjoy the gift.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Very nice Bill, sooo happy your running is going so well...and love your excitment about it also. I am just sitting here wondering how far I am going to "not" run today...16 miles seems nice...sigh. I had to laugh as I was thinking about something this morning, about my injury / injuries. Some have said something like "boy, it's a good thing you broke your toes". And the person they are talking about - me, agrees and thinks it was probably good too, to keep me from trying to run. Point being: where else could people say...hey, glad you broke your toes, and it's taken in a good way, and almost funny. You guys are all great people, who have kept me on the straight and narrow...I am sure I would be attemtping to run if it were not for all of you...thanks. But boy...I really really want to run super bad right now...more than ya know! After my weight workout at the Y yesterday, I noticed this cute gal running on the treadmill wearing a grey cotton tee shirt. Well, the more she sweat the more some certain spots of her body started to show....er, you get the picture...prolly the guys more than the gals, lol. But I was sooo close to trying a test run, I was at the treadmill, had it turned on...then turned it off and walked away. Whew, that was very hard, but did the right thing...but the scenery was nice. I need a GF, huh? Hope everyone has a great day. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

The Jogger

Afternoon Gang Bill that run sounded real good, Lou and PDR enjoy your run, Peter sounds like a good plan, day on, day off. Tim, reading your post, woody springs to mind for some reason, I know it's hard not running Smile Anyway, myself, MrsRoy and the real Woody went out for a really slow 3 miler, I don't care, it's just nice to be jogging again out on the trails....... Good Runs All Roy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Let's see .... I was out for 5 the day after Christmas if I remember correctly. Yesterday I spent most of my time playing my new Wii Fit and boy can I feel the effects!! It is pretty cool. Today was 3 on the treadmill with some intervals thrown in just to help it go by a little faster!! I figure with two 5 mile runs over the next two days I'll finally make my 1400 mile goal. WooHoo!! Now - if the weather just cooperates so I don't have to do them on the treadmill. We had/have high wind warnings here and early this morning we heard a big bang. Found out that it was a tree that hit my daughters room. Now her light and heater do not work - but the ceiling fan does. Curiouser and Curiouser. Sounds like a job for MrHopeful when he gets home. {{{{Tim}}}} Yep - we need to find you a GF!! Big grin Happy Sunday everyone!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

xor

This morning, I am headed to the gym. I grabbed my bag, but didn't need to pack it. Already packed. This is significant because I packed it 13 days ago, on Monday December 15th. I've only been able to make it out of my house a few times since the middle of December... 3 Iditarod-like runs to the post office, once to the grocery store, once to take the dachshund (aka, 'the $10,000 dog') to the vet. I skipped all my workouts, two local races, and a trip to Missouri. But today, I might get back to my normal life with the bag I packed two weeks ago.

The Jogger

1,400 WOW Go Girl Smile
                  Tramps

None of Bill's "easy speed" for me. A tough hilly run in warm (65F) and humid conditions with plenty of wind--which was a double-edged sword; nice and cooling but tough to run in. 15.8 miles @ 8:58. Exact same run as last week but 20 seconds slower per mile and AHR that was 6 bpm higher.

Be safe. Be kind.

spareribs, congrats on your 3rd consecutive 30 mile week (in spite of the weather). JVol, I'm glad to hear that there is progress in your rehab and am looking forward to your report of running on 1 Jan. runningindc, sounds like great progress. Nice long runs for holly (in the wind, no less), Ilene, breger (easy and fast), and Tramps. This morning, the temperature was in the mid 30s but the wind was not so good. It was consistently about 30mph with gusts of 50 and close to 60. That convinced me to use the TM again. It was 6 miles at 1% and 6.2mph (9:40/mi). A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Renee the dog

Decided to take Mariposai’s and Spareribs' advice on how to end the year with one addition. Today was the addition – a 3 mi. sweat out the sugar and booze run, along the ocean. Ran it in 29 flat with Renee. In a running skirt and long sleeved shirt. And still managed a sweat. It was foggy and sunny and warm. Came back and had eggs and egg nog (my husband didn’t get the memo about sweating out the booze…he only heard sugar!). Tomorrow, I’m planning 10 and then I’ll finish up the year with 4 so I’ll have my 17 remaining for Dec. done. Tim, yes, you need a GF. Stop stalking sweaty women on treadmills. Or you’ll have more than your toes broken. Tongue

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Somehow I missed the 3 in a row 30 mile weeks for spareribs -- it's great watching your recovery! 1400 for Mary - way to go! For my long run today, as it was warm I had to run in shorts, but it turns out I got a touchup on my tattoo the other day and it needs to be kept out of the sun. I ended up covering it with two pieces of gauze, then two layers of black felt. I think it didn't see the sun as it was cloudy anyway. No rain other than a couple of drops, but it was quite windy. The run started at 61°F and finished at 64° (sorry, Erika). My sporttracks wind graph says it got up to 10mph but I think that doesn't account for gusts which were supposed to be up to 30mph. 17.1 miles, 2:31:26, 8:50/mi, AHR 147 Progression targets 5@9:30, 7@9:05, 5@8:40, actual pace(HR) 9:20(136), 8:54(146), 8:16(158).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

The Jogger

Tramps, hills become big hills with wind!!!!!
                              I think it's time for a recovery week. I did a very slow 15 miles, feeling sore and grumpy the whole way. What a waste of such unseasonably warm weather. It should have been fun to run without tights, jacket, hat gloves, etc. I guess Bill got all the energy today. Time for lunch and rest before tackling what's left of the day. Mary - congratulations on closing in on your 1400 mile goal.! I hope the tree damage isn't too difficult to repair. That sounds a little too exciting.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

King of PhotoShop

I never would have guessed Mary had a 1400 mile year. What a great accomplishment and what growth as a runner too. It has been fun watching you improve Mary. Bill, it just keeps getting better for you. The Saint and I arose early and ran at the lake today, a very hilly course. She did ten and I did eight. Other than that Turkey Trot 8-miler I ran on TG, today was my longest run since surgery. I felt very good. Football all day today. Spareribs