Masters Running

2/18 Weds Hump Day Daily - Where You Guys Been.... (Read 530 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Smile When I person picks up a hot piece of food...why is their mouth the first place they put it Smile Been SUPER BUSY at work and have not had the time to post and read at RA at all. At work early again this morning trying to get caught up, or at least hold my own right now....called my techs at 4:30 am and told them to get their butts here also because we have sooo much to get done. LOL, funny to listen to people when they first wake up, but they are all here and thanked me for the wake up call....time is money, and you don't make much money in bed unless you are a "Hooker" Big grin 7 miles - 55:25 - 7:55 ave pace progression run for me last night....Started at 9:00 pace, and last mile was 6:58 pace, whew on that one right now Funny thing last night when I was about a mile from home on my run. It was almost dark out and I saw something running towards me from my left and thought it was a HUGE dog (about scared me to death). Nope, it was a deer running right at me, and I had to duck down as the darn thing jumped right over the top of me. I stopped and so did the deer, and we both just stood there staring at each other like "what just happened here" then we both went on our separate ways...very scary, but cool moment too. Need to get at it, but wanted to add... Cool I got a pay raise yesterday as the owner recognized my hard work and the extra hours I put in on my own, when it is not mandatory. I also have another story about how I am helping this single mother of two out, that really touched my heart. (and hers too big time)..will tell more about it later, but is really cool and brought tears to my eyes many times thinking about it. Shortly, lets just say I am giving this young gal a free paint job on her car, because she is ashamed when she drops her kiddoes off at school because of all the paint is peeling off her car ...I can take care of THAT problem. And I have my paint company donating the paint, and all my guys are going to pitch in and donate their time to strip her car down, and re-paint it...clear coat and all....luv it Smile Smile Smile Have a Greta Day Everyone!!! TimmiBo SGGTK, and Tampster too

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Congrats on the raise, Tim, and the deer jumping over you is something else. Pretty cool, but scary. I always go into tempo runs doubtful, but most of the time I get through it just fine. Today I kept lying telling myself how easy it is, that I could run like this all day. Ha! 7 mi tempo: pace(HR) 7:26(164 - 82% mhr) splits pace(HR): 7:29(155), 7:28(164), 7:28(162), 7:27(167),7:19(165),7:25(165),7:29(170). With 2 mile warmup and 3 mile cooldown, overall was 12.1 miles, 1:36:03, 7:56/mi, AHR 157 (78% mhr)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I hate auto repair shops. (I'm sure Tim's is the exception, but I have had no luck.) I took my car in for some service last week. Other than dropping a ton of money they fixed everything that was agreed to. So, I get in my car Monday morning to come to work. I hop on the expressway and as soon as I got over 75 miles per hour, this ungodly bong, bong, bong started up. What the ... ? Confused I slow down a little to listen and look for any serious indicator lights. No bad warning lights - that's good. I slow down to 71 mph and the bong, bong, bong stops. I speed up a little and it comes back on. Slow down, it goes off. Dang. I didn't even know my car had a Speed Gong! Somehow the mechanic activated it. So I speed up to 74 mph (just below where it bongs) and set the cruise control. Nothing. Won't turn on. So now I have a very obnoxious bonging and no easy way to avoid it. I drive to work (slowly) as cars speed by me. I get to work, unhook my safety belt before turning off the car ... no warning tone for that. I turn off the car - the lights are still on - no warning tone for that either. Grrrr. Did I mention I hate repair shops? Angry Anway, on a more positive note, I swam laps this morning and things went much better than last week. Almost felt sorta comfortable. I'm not sure of the lap length but it's probably 25 meters/yards per. I swam 40 lengths total for what is probably 1000 meters/yards. I alternated one length freestyle, and 1 length breast stroke. I alternated the sides where I breath on the freestyle lengths. I have never been able to breath on the right side, but got it feeling okay this morning. Not as natural as on the left side, but I didn't drown either. Better. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, Bill, I see that I'm not the only one ranting lately...Big grin These guys might be able to help you http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=2100834 I was giving myself the option to run or not run this morning and since it's raining out I stayed in bed. Good runs to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Byll--Slow down to 75??? Shocked Boy, you'd fit right in around Boston.!! And in response to Ribs question of yesterday--on April 12th, I was only about a month away from getting married. Which probably means that I wasn't doing much and my DW to be (still is Big grin ) was going bonkers.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Good to see your post this morning Tim! That deer story is pretty cool! This morning I gave intervals a try. I think only I could screw up the easy Garmin set up .... I played around with it last night and set it to 5 1/4 mile intervals with .15 mile breaks inbetween. Long story short, I didn't press the right buttons but managed a one mile warm up, 5 intervals and a one mile cool down - total of 4 miles. The only times I know are these: Interval 1 0.25 Mi 2:07 171 Interval 2 0.25 Mi 2:06 171 Interval 3 0.25 Mi 2:04 176 Interval 4 0.25 Mi 2:12 171 Interval 5 0.25 Mi 2:10 173 The last 2 I didn't get started right away at the beep so they were slightly slower. Last night I did the stability ball ab workout and the upper body workout then 3 miles on the treadmill. Jlynne - shoot me an email about that stability ball DVD: mkaiser at harborfront dot com Happy hump day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good morning Masters ! Nice run last night. Just a quick 6.5. Dropped the hammer on the last mile, that will be my hard work out for the week. Everything else will be super easy. It was a pool day. Took that easy too. Opened with an easy 800, then did some drills between wall hugging sets. Tongue
                  Stumpy, my digital speedometer shows 3 mph high. (Really it does. I've checked it.) Speedy Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, all! Tim - good to see you at the top of the list again! Bet the deer went back and told all his/her friends about the silly human. Amy - glad to hear that Frank survived the chocolate incident. dg - very sad - makes me think I should make an appointment with my physician........ I slept in until nearly 7:00 this morning - heavenly! No run today - just some core and upper body weight work for lunch today. Good runs, all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Timbo – watch out for low-flying deer! Actually, that has become a joke between DS and me ever since that story of a car hitting a deer and the deer knocking down a passing jogger....Big grin Congrats on the raise, my fren. You’ve earned it. Aamos – poor Frank! Glad he’s okay. (rant on) Tomorrow I have a tempo/MP run planned, and wouldn’t you know it? The forecast is for low 20's, rain/snow showers and high winds. Again. Drat! Stoopid wind always seems to be getting in the way of my planned speedier days. I hate the wind. Grr.... Angry (rant off) 6 easy-paced miles on the TM this morning. In shorts. And my new running bra. No wind. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Good morning. April 12 1980 i don't remember, but 1980 was my first Boston marathon. Disaster that year; I was severely anemic and did not know it. I redeemed myself the following year. I think 1980 ( or 81?) was the Rosie Ruiz year too. I got my first shot on Friday. No sedation; I drove home. Left leg was tingly but it never got numb so I could drive. I ran an easy hour on Saturday. Back was pretty sore and I could not tell if other symptoms different. Sunday and Monday i just skiied and snowshoed , decided not to fight the schedule. Kkids had ski training early. Yesterday was crazy at work; no run but I did get in 65 minutes on the elliptical and some arm weights. I got out again this morning for 6.5. Felt reasonably strong. Still some pain in my butt but some improvement I think. Too early to tell. The doc said the first couple of days would likely be worse then I would see some gradual improvement, might take a couple of weeks to tell much. Next shot in 4 weeks. Good running Tim. Glad you and the deer worked things out. I had have had similar expereinces with elk. They give you the once over and go back to their business. I once had a stare down of sorts with a bobcat while walking near the edge of a very suburban but newly developed neighborhood in Virginia at night. Cat was across a street. We stared at one another a bit. I guess the bobcat got bored or concluded I was too big to eat; it turned and ran under a fence. There was an uncofrtable moment though... Good runs to all.
                          Stumpy, my digital speedometer shows 3 mph high. (Really it does. I've checked it.) Speedy Bill
                          When Bill sees the big speed monitor on the side of the road he doesn't slow down, he tries to set the high score. (blantantly stolen from comedian Gary Gulman)

King of PhotoShop

I don't like to take days off unless I have to, but today one was forced on me. Set out to run 7 and as soon as I stepped on the dirt path and ran about 50 yards I knew it wasn't going to work. Huffing and puffing, slow and fatigued. I jogged one lap (1.1 miles) and called it a day. i guess I need the rest. Yes lame, 1980 was the Rosie Ruiz year. I lived in NY then and on the drive home WBZ kept us all informed. By the time we got to Connecticut they had dq'd her. The legitimate female OA winner was Jacqueline Gareau from Canada. Spareribs
                              Handymom, congrats on your longest run since Aug. Teresa, congrats to your son and his team for doing so well in the state track meet. Tammy and dg, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of friends. fatozzig, it's good that you are well enough to be back at work. Twocat, I don't know whether your news from the neurologist is good or bad but at least you have some sort of plan. Bike, congrats on the well deserved raise. Nice long runs for mariposai, Peter, craneium (longest since last summer), and enke. Good job on the speedwork for breger, Holly, jdmom, and hopeful. Today should have been a running day but I've got some sort of "bug" - sort of flu like symptoms. Night before last, I had trouble sleeping as my stomach was feeling bad. Yesterday morning, instead of my non running day brisk 4 mile walk, I just did 2 easy miles. Yesterday, I hardly ate anything. I slept ok last night but my innards didn't feel right when I got up. As part of my morning exercises, I jog in place for 3 minutes and, during that time, my stomach and intestines felt better. That made me feel gutsy (in rereading this, I guess that's an unintended pun) so I got on the new TM that was delivered yesterday and walked 2 miles at a 15 minute pace. When I was done, I was wiped out and still feel real weak. I resent not feeling well and hope I'm recovered enough to show up for the 5K race I planned for Saturday. Sorry to whine so much. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                              dg.

SR... I hope all is well. rest & relax a bit. Tom, you of all people are allowed to whine. I've been playing with that stomach thing for about a week now, don't really have any helpful suggestions though. It just keeps surprising me. Get better! Cool that you got a new TM. I was jogging in place too yesterday! I didn't know anyone else did that... I don't usually, but just felt like I had to. Sue, that's what I was thinking too. I'm terrible about going to the doctor. Nice you slept in... I did too. well, till 4:40. But it was supposed to be a gym day. I decided a rest day might not hurt. (thanks Holly). I'm going to have core for dinner. Wink. A speed bong?? Aamos, I'm glad Frank is ok too! I know what you mean about their learning curve. Sadie is that way about skunks.