Masters Running

40's on the run..."If you start to feel good during an ultra, don't worry you will get over it." (Read 401 times)

Ultrachick

Hey Everyone! I see no one has gotten us started yet and since I've never started the thread before I'll do it. I chose the quote because I registered for the Iroquios Trail 100 last night. I've been training for this all year so now it's official-I've paid my money ($200) so unless I die then I'm going to NY Sept 20-21. Hopefully I finish so it's on $2/mile of fun! Speaking of fun, I ran a race today. The Bramble Scramble 30k-the course was long so I'm counting as 20.2m. It was at the trail center where I do the Tues night 5k so I've been running the course all summer which was to my benefit because to anyone new, the course was poorly marked. A lot of people got lost and may have run longer or shorter which is too bad because it could influence next year's turn out. I finished in 3:13, came in 2nd in my age group out 5 and 3 out 7 women. There was a 15k option as well and it was in the 80's today. The race didn't start until 10am so it was warm from the get go. Quite a few people dropped from the 30k to the 15k. But not me! Big grin I bought myself a new hydration pack-the Wink, from Ultimate Direction. So I had plenty to drink and eat along the way-it only took 2 hrs for my hamstring to loosen up enough to feel good. Trail side goodies that I carried included fruit punch gatorade, cola clif shots, vanilla Gu and a quick sip of coke between laps! I must have a rock gut since mixing all that together didn't bother me. I did a 5k yesterday in 34 minutes-I was running with one my summer trainees from work-she wanted me to stick with her. So the goal this week is to run at least 40 miles to reach 300 miles for the month which would be a PR! Hope you all had a fabulous weekend! Kelly
    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
      Thanks Kelly for starting us off! Love the quote, even though I'm not into Ultra's. I'll just substitute "run" for "ultra" Smile. Great race for you this weekend, and sounds like you're set for some PR mileage for the month. Way to go! I ran to a client's house yesterday morning (5 miles), and 4 miles into it realized I forgot one critical item....her house key. Fortunately, I had my cell phone and dear hubby bailed me out. He had planned to come and get me anyway since I wasn't planning to run 10. Question is, why did it occur to me at mile 4? Oh, and he bought 1/2 dozen donuts at Krispy Kreme while I was gone Evil grin. Two of them were my post run breakfast. Bad, bad hubby Tongue!
      Progress Trumps Pefection
        Hey Folks! I managed to get caught up on the posts from the weekend, and it looks like everyone's doing fairly well. Couple of tight hammies/butts, but hopefully that'll all work out. Those big foam rollers?? They work really well. As to stretches on your back with your foot up on the well. Just sit there with it stretched out comfortably for about 5 minutes then switch legs. Before you know it, you'll have your butt all the way up against the wall and that leg fully extended. It's much easier if you do it in a doorway so you have some place for your non-stretchign leg to be. This stretch completely curred my miserable, always tight and painful hammies. Nice to hear from you again, Arla. Congrats on showin' up the yungin' Big grin, and good luck with the school year. Kelly - Fingers crossed tightly for your 100 miler! If I was living near ya, darlin', I'd crew for you in a second. You're gonna do great! The Wink hydration pack - that's what I use on my long, long runs. Works nicely, although when I'm getting tired and cranky and hot it starts to fill like a frigging brick on my back and I want to through it at something . . . or someone. Managed to get in 3 pretty hungover miles yesterday (Sunday) morning on the dreadmill. Damm banquets anyway. Alcohol and fun should be outlawed at those things. I figure that half hour/3 miles pretty much saved my life and enabled me to drive almost all the way home. Had to pull over about 2 hours from home and have my friend drive the rest of the way, though. It's about a 6-hour drive. So got home around 5:00/5:30 and found out we (yes, we!) had to drive out to the airport half an hour away at 8:30 to pick up a friend coming home from LA. Me: I'm not going. Hub: Yes, you are. I want you to go with me, please. Me: Why? Hub: 'Cause I haven't seen you in four days. Me: I'm sleeping there and back. Hub: That's fair. So we finally got home about 9:45 p.m. and I was passed out within minutes. I'm sooooooo tired today! The conference went very well, learned lots of "stuff," and the workshop of which I am the leader for the next two years (Probate/Estate Planning) went off without a hitch. Was very pleased with that. A speaker from two years ago, a sergeatn with the Stockton Police Dept., came back and talked to us about gang activity and gang injunctions. Fascinating. Really very fascinating. I applaud anyone who can work in that atmosphere and keep their heads on straight. Okay - I've jabbered enough. You guys have a great week!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Cleaning Poem I asked the Lord to tell me Why my house is such a mess. He asked if I'd been 'computering', And I had to answer 'yes.' He told me to get off my fanny And tidy up the house. And so I started cleaning up... The smudges off my mouse. I wiped and shined the topside. That really did the trick... I was just admiring my work.. I didn't mean to 'click.' But click, I did, and oops I found A real absorbing site. That I got SO way into it. I was into it all night. (((sigh))) Nothing's changed except my mouse It's very, very shiny. I guess my house will stay a mess... While I sit here on my hiney. Thank you for being my friends!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I really should be working, but . . . . Find out what the Number 1 song was on the day you were born: http://www.joshhosler.biz/NumberOneInHistory/02/0223.htm Me: "These Boots Were Made for Walkin'" by Nancy Sinatra

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

(Sittin' on) the dock of the Bay Hey Leslie-since you're birthday is Feb 23 and mine is March 15-then we're both Pisces! What's everyone else's sign?
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

In 1814 we took a little trip (Battle of New Orleans Bday song). I did 6 miles Sunday around Lake Estes CO, and hiked another 5 today and did some class 3 scrambles. C Yas MTA Gemini

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

(Sittin' on) the dock of the Bay Hey Leslie-since you're birthday is Feb 23 and mine is March 15-then we're both Pisces! What's everyone else's sign?
                  I'll have to put you on my list, but don't expect a present. Big grin

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks for starting us, Kelly. It's always so inspiring to hear about your runs and races! Carol - we run partly so we can indulge in the occasional goodie. I went to a friend's house last night where he was trying out his new deep fryer....mmmm...chicken fingers and frieds. Then we had garlic-chicken pizza for a main course, all washed down with some Newcastle beer. *urp* Speaking of inspiration, our city is hosting its first marathon, it's being added to the annual HM. Catherine Switzer is going to be an invited speaker, while I won't be running the HM or M, I plan to get over to see her speak. Another heat wave in store for us, but the mornings are starting to feel nice and cool. After all the heat we've had, temps in the 60s feel downright chilly! Arla

Ex runner

Leslie, glad you had a good time at the conference. Thanks for the reminder re: the wall stretch. Did that last night and it was great....except one of my dogs must have thought I was injured. He would NOT stop licking me. R2, ahhhhh....mountain run. Sounds delightful! Arla, glad things are cooling off for you. That deep fryer sounds dangerous (in a good way) Big grin I hear you on the occasional indulgences...gotta enjoy life Cool My song is the same as Leslie's, "These Boots Were Made for Walkin'" by Nancy Sinatra. I kinda like that one. Sign is Gemini. 4 miles this morning...did the first 3 as a progression run (10:34, 10:05, 9:37), and the last mile was hills. My subdivision is called Woodland Hills, so they are kinda hard to avoid.
                      Progress Trumps Pefection
                        Mornin' Sunshines - Someone either beat the crap out of me unbeknownst to me while I was showering - it could happen! - or I twisted wrong (don't ask, no one's business). Anyway, really tweaked the lower right side of my back, sort of in the kidney area. Then I slept on our worn out mattress. Tried to get up this morning, and holy kidney shot, Batman! Let's just say I didn't run, ride, lift weights, or anything. Just moved around like a 100-year old lady trying to work the kink out. It still hurts, but it's subsiding. Should be better by the end of the day (keeping fingers crossed). Arla - Glad the temps are starting to cool down some. You guys do get awfully hot there. That's why I like the mountains above you. Big grin Carol - Keep up with the wall stretch. It will do wonders for you. As far as the dog licking . . . can't help ya there. Our cat, Wilson, has that irritating habit when he gets all lovey. Blush I think he was denied as a young child and is now compensating. At least that's my analysis of the whole thing. Hey, maybe I could become a pet psychologist! And Gemini? When's your bday? So I figure I actually have to get some work done today . . . at some point . . . . Later!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

saltyd

Hi All, Well I made it through my surgery without complications. The only pain I've really had was from getting my legs stretched a little further than I would prefer. Other than that, I'm just being a slug at home for a couple weeks. I wish I could begin running again, to see if the surgery worked, but that's not allowed for a few mroe weeks. I cans tart walking/hiking next week or the following. It would also be nice to get to run right now too, since the evenings we've been "cooling" down to the 80's with the monsoons that we've been getting. We had a real windy and rainy one pass through last night. Kelly - Congrats on signing up for the Ultra. If I lived out there, I'd come out and crew or cheer you on. Salty
                          Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

jfa

Howdy Everyone , Libra here.... "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin was the cool song back then though I don't know that I have ever heard it before. Thanks for starting us off Kelly. Good luck with both your changes at work as well as your 100 mile race! That sounds VERY challenging. Is that on the Adirondack Trail? Carol- blame the DH, isn't that always the way with you Ladies?! Roll eyes Good going on those hills! Leslie- glad your trip went well and you got home ok .I like the poem ,and we are certainly turning into a society of mouse pushers! Jim- must be a nice place to run up there .How far of a drive is that? Arla- hope those cooler temps stay with you for a while.Why won't you run that race if it's so close to home? Salty- Happy your surgery went went.Rest up and you'll be as good as new in no time. Rest day for me yesterday after an 18 miler on Sunday morning. Cooler temps are prevailing for us as well. Have a good one.....

Joe - You've never heard "Mack the Knife"!!! Shocked Dude - You're missing out: Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear And it shows them pearly white Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe And he keeps it … ah … out of sight. Ya know when that shark bites, with his teeth, babe Scarlet billows start to spread Fancy gloves, though, wears old MacHeath, babe So there’s nevah, nevah a trace of red. Now on the sidewalk … uuh, huh … whoo … sunny mornin’ … uuh, huh Lies a body just oozin' life … eeek! And someone’s sneakin' ‘round the corner Could that someone be Mack the Knife? A-there's a tugboat … huh, huh, huh … down by the river don’tcha know Where a cement bag’s just a'droopin' on down Oh, that cement is just, it's there for the weight, dear Five'll get ya ten old Macky’s back in town. Now, d'ja hear ‘bout Louie Miller? He disappeared, babe After drawin' out all his hard-earned cash And now MacHeath spends just like a sailor Could it be our boy's done somethin' rash? Now … Jenny Diver … ho, ho … yeah … Sukey Tawdry Ooh … Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown Oh, the line forms on the right, babe Now that Macky’s back in town. Aah … I said Jenny Diver … whoa … Sukey Tawdry Look out to Miss Lotte Lenya and old Lucy Brown Yes, that line forms on the right, babe Now that Macky’s back in town … Look out … old Macky is back!! Bobby Darin's great. But then I love the oldies but goodies. Listened to Johnny Mathis this a.m. And, yes, I saw the movie, "Beyond the Sea" with Kevin Spacey. He did all the singing himself. He grew up a Bobby Darin fan, listening to his folks' records. Always wanted to make a movie about him.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Oh Yea Leslie , now that does ring a bell. I like that too. Those oldies bring back memories of beach vacations with my family when I was a kid. Radio playing oldies (weren't oldies then I guess) on a summer night.....