Masters Running

Thurs. Dec. 31 - Say goodbye to 2009 runs, rests and goals achieved? (Read 455 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

I don't think I am going to race tomorrow.  My neighbor is not doing it now, and it is a bit of a drive just to go by myself.   Just not as fun.   I am going to go get my shirt this morning though and I can still decide tomorrow morning once I see what the weather is doing.   Lake Effect snow is supposed to start tonight and it is going to be quite cold and windy too.  

DH and I  are sharing a porterhouse steak tonight along with crab legs.   Then we are going to visit two parties and possibly stay awake until midnight!  

Now to to see if my legs have 6 miles left in them to finish off the year.   It is a heat wave today - 35 degrees!

Happy last day of 2009!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hi Mary, and everyone else. I am still not running  I still am having trouble pushing off with my foot. I have also been super busy with family so an extra week of rest probably will not do me any harm. I must have a SF because it only hurts when I push off with it. Mostly been biking for exercise. I am being careful so that I can get started at my marathon schedule on time. January 25th gives me three more weeks to ease back in. I may have to give up the speed work as I feel that probably was the cause of my current problem. Its the only thing I added in the last few months. I was just starting to like them too.  Oh well, slow and steady has always worked for me in the past.

Up early to get to the gym before everyone wakes up. I am really enjoying having my kids and their kids at home for awhile.

Catch up later

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mary,

Sounds like a good way to end the year (and a race would be a good way to start twenty-ten). 

By the way, I'm on the committee to call the new year twenty-ten, not two thousand and ten.  It's a word efficiency of 50 to 75%, depending on whether or not you hyphenate.  Just think of all the savings!  Anyone else care to join?

The gym was quiet this morning.  Did some fizzy lifting, half hour stepperfication, then 8 miles in the cardio cinema.  The movie was Insomnia.  That really ends the year on a downer...

Our New Year's eve tradition is to watch the Three Stooges.  Nyuk nyuk nyuk.  We have a small get together at our friend's house.  Then at midnight, everyone goes outside and runs around the house a few times.  At least it's safer than what I used to do when I was in my twenties.  I've been to Times Square to watch the ball (or apple) drop five times.  Now that is scary.

Be safe everyone.

2009 is about done and "Twenty-Ten" is about to begin (I'm with you PBJ!).  I hope it brings everyone much happiness, health, and good cheer.

6.2 miles with fartlek work - 10 x 1 minute at 5K pace, 1 minute recovery between each.  Felt good to run a bit quicker.  I got a few of them down to 7 minute miles.  1,900.00000000000 miles for the year.

Bill

ETA:  Aamos, you are welcome to stay at our place if you and your DH come down for the Miami Marathon.  We're about 70 to 90 minutes north of South Beach, and you may prefer to stay where the Action is.  But you are more than welcome!  Send me an email at breger1 at bellsouth dot net if you'd like to discuss it.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Happy New Year Everyone,   Off my regular dayshift today but working 6pm-2am tonite (so ya'll behave).

4 inch fresh snow this morning, which was not predicted, so surprise.  Well I did my cross training (shoveling) in my 2,000 sq. ft. driveway.

Off to the gym later.

Enjoying the bowl games so far, some exciting finishes.  Wyoming-Fresno, Wisconsin-Miami, Idaho-BG.

Nebraska vs. Arizonia was a big deal around here because of the coaches being local boys & the families were close even before they were born.

Amy & Bill  I just learned that the Cleveland Orchestra will be in Miami for about a month & it covers the marathon weekend.  They are the 3rd rated orchestra in the world.  Vienna & Berlin rank 1& 2.  I don't know how you feel about the orchestra music but you should get out to see them, they are simply amazing.  I know a trumpet player & he is going to the half while he's there. 

Doing a "hangover classic" tomorrow 11am it is a time prediction race along with a regular race.  No fee with t-shirts & dozens of prizes, a local carpet guy who is a runner sponsors it.  Covered dish brunch follows usually about 150 runners. Friday is my rest day so I will predict a very slow time & do it just for the social aspect.   

Be Safe & Enjoy

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Renee the dog

rasmussenmp,  Happy Anniversary!  And, yes, any tips you have for the Shamrock would help both dg and me!  I've read that the woods part in the 20s can be a drag, but it would seem like we'd get relief from the weather there, wouldn't we?  I also don't mind no crowd support, so that might not be the worst part of the course for me...Time will tell... As for the OD, yeah, that weekend is traditionally the worst weather weekend around here.  Which is probably why we run a marathon on it -- what else ya gonna do?   I'm not so concerned about this one. 

I am so glad I made the commitment with $$ yesterday, as I'm getting incredibly fired up about both events! Not that it got me out in the rain this morning to run -- ha ha -- Tet is beginning to rub off on me.   Actually, I did a lot of domestic crap getting ready for our friends who arrive later this afternoon.  Since they all run, they won't care (much) if I'm just getting showered when they arrive.  As long as the beer is cold and the food is out.! 

Anyway, later today I plan to run 6 or 7 miles with Renee.  Going to get a massage first.  Ahhhhhhhh!  

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Prince of Fatness

I'm not a regular poster in the daily thread but I thought I would pop in and wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Happy New Year.  And be safe tonight.

Not at it at all. 

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm back from my 6 mile run - 10:44 pace and finishing off the year with 1000 miles on the dot.    Big grin    There was more fresh snow out there than I thought, and it is the wet stuff that keeps packing up in the yaktrax.  I might still run the race tomorrow.   I'll see what the weather is like and also ask DH if he'll drive me there.

Sounds like we'll have a new maniac early into twenty-ten!   Go NoNo!!!

Take it easy there Hallar.  

Where's Jlynne this morning?   

Enjoy the day!

~Mary

~unknown

I'd considered doing 10 again today at GA pace, but when I woke up I realized how tired my legs were, so opted for a recovery run.  Good thing as there's 2" of snow on the roads.

5.1 miles, 47:12, 9:20/mi, AHR 144 (70% MHR)

I hear the baby, so I guess it's ok to start the snow blower.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mary,

Thanks for starting up the thread. Happy New Year to everyone. Looking forward to a much better year ahead, 2009 was a tough one...

Celebrating tonight with my lady friend of over 6 months (she is a doll) by going for a snowshoe later tonight (it's supposed to snow, so even better). Love to snowshoe with snow coming down). After our snowshoe we will be cooking together with a couple of glasses of red wine (of course!!!) 

The menu for the curious:

Steak au Poivre in Cognac Sauce (this one is spectacular)

Shrimp from the Devil Priest (Mario Battali recipe)

Bok choy in a mushroom coulis

Citrus asparagus

Chocolate Fondue (with a ton of fresh fruit) with mulled wine

Guess we better snowshoe quite a bit....

Looking forward to posting running posts this coming year.

Off in two days on a 3 day solo snowshoe trip to Temagami. Hoping to find inspiration to write that book I have always wanted to write....

Best

Tallrunner, aka Frank aka Francois

Recent Best times: None recently

Mariposai

I hereby pronounce twocat as the 2009 king of patience. Wishing you a twenty ten filled with many running miles.

(ohh btw, please tell me that you ran at least 1/4 of a mile on that gorgeous Ozzie beach or I will have to fatten up my wings so I can fly to your house to kill you)

Lou, Give that baby Nate a hug from his virtual tia Posie Smile

Hallar, taking it easy now will allow you to start that marathon training come January 25th.

MrPhinNJ, thanks for stopping by here once in a while. 

Nonoruns, I like your definition to housekeeping: doing domestic crap 

It is so great to see Rusmussenmp in here. Happy to see that you and RunerWife will be in Newport too.

Holly, it is easy to run MP in the snow when that MP is not as fast as your pace. Be careful out there.

Great to see Econo around here. Have fun with your son. What an experience for a young boy.

4 easy recovery miles  this morning giving me 185 miles for the month and 2,117.4  miles for the year. If I have the time I may go back out this afternoon after work to round up that number  Smile.

2009 was a great running year for my wings, but greatest was the joy of meeting  my RA friends in person, a few of you for the first time.

What is your New Year's eve plan? 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tall - if I start driving right now, I think I can make it in time for dinner!    I'll bring my snow shoes too ....

GeezLouis - Mari - 2,117 miles!   Wow!!!

Okay, I am leaving now ..... really .....

~Mary

~unknown

I'll take turns driving Mary....come pick me up on your way to Tallrunner's! Yum.

Happy New Year folks!

Last run of 2009 in the bank----7 miles under cloudy skies at 7:30 am---light snow falling now

Here's hoping twenty-ten is full of joy, healed injuries, and great days for all

Slo

I hereby pronounce twocat as the 2009 king of patience. Wishing you a twenty ten filled with many running miles.

Boy do I 2nd that !

Just in from my garage. A decent core and chest workout followed by 45 mins in the stationary trainer.

Tons of errands to run. Still haven't decided what's for dinner tonight. Whatever it is it won't come close to Tall's.

Take care....and Happy New Year wished to all.

Cheers !

I Can Go The Distance

Happy New Years's Eve Masters Runners,

Just got back from running an easy 7 mi in 1:07:42 (9:41/mi) . That gives me 2400 for the year and 9,238.4 all-time. I should be well over 11,000 by the end of twenty-ten! Starting out twenty-ten with a 15 mi run tomorrow.

Happy New Year Everyone

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano