Masters Running

Fitness runner's Mercer Island Half Marathon (3/9/08) (Read 530 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

As a fitness runner who doesn’t run much in the winter unless there’s some overriding incentive such as this year’s Resolution Run (<>soundi, franci, arfalina)>>> and February Mariposai miles or last year’s Valentine Marathon (<>ultra-arf,)>>> with a possible first chance to do a barefoot ultra at the end of March, I’ve been looking forward to this year’s Mercer Island Half Marathon all winter long <>soundi, franci, enki>>> In particular, with only 19 miles of running since the Seattle Marathon in November, I wanted the MIH to replicate as much as possible having to run the last miles of an ulta when being too tired to run except for just wanting to try somehow to finish. Therefore, I did an early-morning nine mile walk/run out-and-back on part of the course and got to the starting line feelin’ just like an ultra halfway and wondering what in the world I was doin’ there thinking I could run another 13 miles. As I discovered last year when I redeemed missing the cutoff in several past years’ ultras, it’s okay to walk, and walk a lot, in ultras. Therefore, the MIH was going to be practice walking even when I really felt like still running. Though without wanting to, I had walked a lot too in last year's MIH after trying to run all the way on similar skimpy winter running and bonking at mile eight thereby getting lots of walking practice, albeit it way too late, for a 2:50:58 finish (27/27 AG) so walking on purpose this year would be a good comparison. Accordingly, as I had during the warm-up, I walked on all the uphills for the first half and ran the downhills before a reminder pep talk call with my fun-run coach to walk some of the complete miles that would be essential in any upcoming ultra. It turned out there wasn’t much difference between my running and walking (12m/m vs 15m/m) but I don’t know how it will be in a real ultra though. I’ll soon find out. I found out that it sure worked in this one though as the lack of mile markers in the last three miles thwarted my walk/run plans and I finished the final 5K in just under 33 minutes for the fastest pacing of the day. Even though it only moved me up one AG place from last year (25/26) and it was a pedestrian 2:38:31, for us fitness runners, these kinds of runs have nothing to do with what the clock says and everything to do with still bein’ able to do ‘em. private note to tammy - after losin’ three consecutive shirts-off-my back when every one of your 5K/10/Half-mary times beat mine last year, I’ll get the shirt off your back in our bet this time if your February “training” run in your half mary was more than thirty minutes faster than my MIH. However, I really didn’t expect to break 2:40 so I’ll give you credit for anything slower than 2:10 in yours, . . . but, if you were faster than 2:10 in a supposed training race, I might have to take your shoes off too!Smile Thanks to Soundi’s coach for the unsolicited race photo. I paint ‘em green for next week’s St. Pat’s Dash!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dear Tet - I'm so sorry we didn't hook up. I lost track of time and didn't know when you would be finishing up, but at least I got to talk to Soundie. Somehow I imagined that running downhill would be harder than uphill in bare feet, so I was surprised by your strategy. You could probably teach a lot of people proper form for downhill running, myself included because my quads are totally trashed today. Doing a 9 mile warm-up, well that is dedication to your ultra-ego!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Tet, well now it makes perfect sense why, when I saw you during my warm-up and what I thought was your one mile warm-up, you seemed to be all business. You had already run miles and miles more than I yesterday morn... I'm happy to read your walk/run strategy worked well for this winter ultra-prep run. Am disappointed I missed seeing you come in, especially as you were not far behind my friend T I was waiting for around the same time. Oh well, there will be another race, soon. The cropping makes this photo just right -- nice calves.
        Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Well done Tet! Runnig and walking , moving forward with a smile on your face the whole way to the finish line! I'll follow your example all the way to Carnation! Francesca
            Impressive running! wow.....You have such a wonderful spirit and true devotion to running with joy. Thanks for sharing the experience and for your inspiiring report. CNYrunner
              Impressive....indeed.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Great run Tet. Now stay away from my wimmin! See you in Seattle soon I hope. On my way there tomorrow. Spareribs
                evanflein

Ah, Tetsujin! I love to hear from you. Nice job on this one... but aren't the warmups usually not quite as long as the race? Leave it to you to do it your way... Hope to see you sometime soon!!
                    Tetsujin, well done! I like your barefoot picture and your GREENfoot picture. p.s. Okaasan says hello! She asks if you know about Momo-Taro.

GreenMan

Nicely done Tet. Thanks for the report jjj
                      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                        Well done! But if this is what "practice" for an ultra looks like then an ultra . . . ! Yikes! Shocked

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

Nice run there taperboy! looks like I've not only lost my shirt but now I've lost shoes as well. . . . I'll be hiding out in the hottub . . . Shocked

Tammy

Great Job Tet!!
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                            btb1490

Well done, sir.
                              Mariposai

.. for us fitness runners, these kinds of runs have nothing to do with what the clock says and everything to do with still bein’ able to do ‘em.
                                Beautiful statement Taper Boy. What a gift your have to look at running races for just the pure, wild joy of it and not to race against the clock. Reading your reports are always such a delight and an inspiration. Now are you sure you don't need some butterfly wings to help you on your St. Patrick's day race? Just wondering... Yes It seems like you are going to have a fun 2008 running year.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard