Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily - 4'30'14 (Read 37 times)

Dave59

Somewhere in the country at this very second is another person typing up something to start the daily....

Everyone is pulling for Ribs today. Hoping for a good recovery and no further complications.

I ran 4.6 miles this morning.

I also changed my mind and decided to go run the Buffalo half mary.  I still don't want to train for it, and I won't, but I do want to visit family and see Mike in person.  So I'll go and Gallowalk the thing.  There is nothing wrong with me as long as I don't drink a couple liters of coffee and pop a decongestant on an empty stomach again.  And I am only doing the Maffetone low heart rate stuff because I had been feeling so worn out.  I feel fine now and one weekend off won't matter.  i also found out the power is going to be off at work on that weekend, so I don't have to work and couldn't if I wanted to.

Mike E

MM #5615

Cool!

Seriously?  It's 8:30 on the West Coast and I'm the second person to post?  Wow!

Thanks for getting us started, Dave.  And I think it's great you're going to run the half. 

Good Morning, Mike.

Carolyn - Remember - Hill work is speed work in disguise . . . . theoretically . . .

I stayed in bed in instead of getting up and running my miles.  Will do them after work today . . . when it's beautiful and warm!!!  We're suppose to hit the high 70's today.  In 2004, we hit an all time record high of 72 for April 30, so we'll see where we get today.   . . . . . Wait, I just checked the forecast and it says it's supposed to hit 80 today.    If it does, we'll have people passing out in the streets.  Me, I'll be doing a happy dance.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

i also found out the power is going to be off at work on that weekend, so I don't have to work and couldn't if I wanted to.

Excellent!

Leslie - I don't blame you one bit.

Hoping Ribs' complications are quick to heal.

5.4 miles for me this morning in a breezy 54 degrees.  My running continues to be extremely sluggish, but I really can't put my finger on why.  Sunday will be another super-slow marathon, I guess, but as long as I make it to the finish I can't complain.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

A friend of Ribs posted a "medical type" update on his FB page that Ribs asked me to share with the group:

I just spoke to Ribs. God that groggy voice is sexy. All is very well. 

A minor complication happened in surgery where the kidneys were shocked and not just not working as well as they need to be for him to go home. They are good kidneys, just tired 
            from surgery. 

He gets to go home as soon as his blood count is up and his urine is normal. All will happen but just takes some time. The docs won't send him home until they are working property.

That's the latest on Ribs. He doesn't want anyone to worry about him. Says he'll be fine and you all just know he's loving the attention from nurses. . . that is, if they are even still giving him any attention. . . .

Tammy

...ok,

even though Ribbs is still probably under anesthesia, no need to say ''Half-Mary''...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks so much, Tammy!  Really glad to know that.

tw, you make me wish there was a way we could all join in on a conference call, or just record a chorus of voices saying a sentence to Ribs using "Half-Mary" in it!

DAve, good news on using that down time at work, and you're spot on; you can walk it, and that's a darn sight more than most!  Looking forward to your report and photos of you and Mike.

Holly, maybe meeting twocat will give you a little extra energy.....or not.  Have a good time, however it goes.  And the Pig has to be a fun one to run, no?

Leslie, sounds like brilliant weather for you.  My former running buddies in South Dakota are posting photos of snow today.  It snowed there.  And it is sticking.  YIG!

Sayhey, the Sox won last night  AND I got to see it on the local TV station as they're playing Tampa, but it's at Fenway, and the weather is not so hot.  In fact, everyone looked downright cold last night.  The Tampa players especially looked chilled.  They're not used to playing in 40 degree weather .

Loved running with the running club here last night.  I was creaky to start, first mile just under 10 minutes.  If you had told me I would run several under 8 minutes by the end of our speed work session, I'd have bet against you.  And lost.  They really make me run faster.

And they weren't with me this am, so I did 9 slow ones.  Take away the first one, the last 8 were at 9:20.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Tall, it's great to hear from you.  Tammy, thanks for the ribs update.  I'm sending best wishes for the complications to "uncomplicate" ASAP.

Nice long runs for Mike (with speedy 2 mile sections) and wild.

This morning, the predicted rain didn't materialize, it was in the low 50s and there was some wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:09 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

I stayed in bed in instead of getting up and running my miles.  Will do them after work today . . . when it's beautiful and warm!!!  We're suppose to hit the high 70's today.  In 2004, we hit an all time record high of 72 for April 30, so we'll see where we get today.   . . . . . Wait, I just checked the forecast and it says it's supposed to hit 80 today.    If it does, we'll have people passing out in the streets.  Me, I'll be doing a happy dance.

I kind of like running in the wind, rain, sleet and snow. It makes me feel so ummmmm,,,,, Minnesotan. The effects of my rain dance are still lingering. How does that happy dance go?

Hi Tall! Long time no see 

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Good news about Ribs.  Thanks, Tammy.

It's 81 outside.  We NEVER, EVER see temps like that.  Went for a wonderful lunchtime walk, wishing I could stay out there all day.  But no fears, it'll still be beautiful when I go for my run around 4:30.

Incredible Weather Happy Dance! 

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

C-R

Happy Wednesday. Recovery run at lunch for me today with overcast skies. No snow though. THANKS FOR DAT.

I wish we had more hills here for some of that disguised speed work. But we have corn. Lots and lots of that.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

lamerunner

Good afternoon.  I am glad to hear Ribs is doing ok and hope his complications staighten out quickly!

As for weather, I think the NOrtheast is making Leslie's weather possible--- 43 degrees and rain in southern NH; probably sleet and snow up north. so enjoy the sunny 80!

I ran 6.5 miles this morning, around town.  I need new shoes; the current ones are 6 months old and starting to feel it.  I also went to yoga at lunch, got stretched out a bit. I am defintely no yogi, but it does seem to help to go on occasion-- probalby shoudl go more.

Happy Hump Day!

TammyinGP

Leslie, it's low 90's here today. We never see these temps in April!   while my DH, the heat lover, is absolutely loving this weather, all I can think of is how sorry I feel for David who has to run 3000m in the hottest part of the day today. I hope he's been hydrating all day in school.

Tammy

Glad to hear Ribs is doing okay. I can just see him with the nurses (the thought of Groucho Marx and Nurse Ratchett comes to mind )

Good on you Dave. Consider this a practice run for the next race you register for.

Holly - you'll do great. Sometimes the not-so-good training cycles turn into awesome races.

Leslie, Tammy, and the rest of you bragging about your warm sunny weather, could 'ya knock it off?! We're stuck in this continuous cycle of rainy gray days with temps not even reaching 50°. Got halfway through a 6 mile run and the skies opened up. Normally that would feel pretty good, but not when the wind is out of the north and it's 45°

Three days of 3:45 wakeups and I'm hanging in there, though the coffee pot has become my new best friend. Last night I sat down with a book at 8:00 PM and was promptly sleeping by 8:05.  As I crawled in bed at 8:30 - as it was still light outside - I could hear the neighbor kids playing in the back yard. I love being done with work by 11:00 AM. Sure hope the sleep thing gets regulated...

Jeanne - I'm savoring this weather because we rarely see this.  Don't worry, our summer will soon be here - days of foggy grayness as the interior heats up.  If we get sun, it'll be accompanied by very windy conditions.

Re going to be at 8:30 - I had to giggle at that, 'cause we're rarely up past 8:00/8:30.  The Hub usually crawls into bed around 7:00 to read for an hour or so, and I'm usually not far behind him.  Staying up 'til 9:00 is like freaking late

Tammy - Good luck to David in his race with the temps.  I love the heat, too.  Not the humidity, but the heat, which is why I love the desert.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance