Masters Running

Sat Jan 19th Masters Runs (Read 428 times)

No shorts for me today. Wind chill is at 12, so with colder temps coming tomorrow I took a page (or is it disc) out of Holly's book and did my long run today. 12 miles, matching the wind chill. this is my longest run ever.
    PJH

I posted this over on the CR 50+ thread, but thought some of you may have had some experience with this. I went on the DL last Monday with an achilles tendon injury. It seized up quite badly after my run. I've been nursing it this week with some physio and rest. So ... went out to test the healing progress this morning. Sports therapist direction was to walk 15 mins at a good pace and if everything felt fine, move into a slow jog for maybe 5-6mi at most. At first sign of tightness, I was to back off. The walk went fine. I began to feel a little tightness after 2.5 mi so called it quits. Got some more physio, including acupuncture, as the lower leg was noticeably sore/tender. Looks like I'll be on the shelf for some time yet. What's your experience been with achilles tendon injuries? I'm trying to manage my expectations. I'm anxious to resume training for Boston, but want to be extra cautious at the same time. How long should I expect to be off? When I do resume running, how fast should I expect to get back to current mileage (before the injury)which was about 50 mpw? Any comments/advice would be appreciated. We're now 3 months out from Boston. You can well imagine that this is just the pits! PJ
      bap

Morning Sunny, 33 degrees with a light wind. Shorts and t-shirt again. I ran 7 miles with the 10 minute per mile crew then picked it up for a solo final 4. Unfortunately by Garmin's battery was not charged but the overall pace was 9:11 Good runs everyone!

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

jules2

PJH, been there, done it. One thing I've found works is a road bike inner tube doubled up and looped over my knee and the ball of my foot as it puts just the right tension on the tendon and I can read or watch the TV. Was going mountain biking today but the weather report predicted heavy rain so went shopping. When I came back there was a strange orange ball in the sky, surely the forecasts weren't wrong? Quick banana and dragged the Dwarf and her bike into the car and set off for Rutland Water. Had a really good run took it easy at first but towards the end cranked it up. Only a few drops of rain and a bit of mud but did a 16 mile lap in 2.05 so quite happy with that. Much as I love running on my own on long runs its much more fun with a "support bike" plus we had the bonus of overtaking several cyclists. Rutland Water is an interesting run as its a lap so there are no bail outs. Tomorrow the annual cycling club dinner with "cross toasting", but thats another story.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I ran a rushed 4 miles on the treadmill, between golf and a haircut. A nice easy 12 scheduled for tomorrow. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

munchkn883

Decided to at least walk on the treadmill this afternoon. Only walked about 3 miles, but some of them I did with an 8 incline. Feel better since getting this done....no quilt! TomWhite -- MrMunch isn't even walking at this point so if he does participate at Knoxville, I think it will be to walk the 5K. Still working on him. Looking forward to Knoxville.
                10k Race for me today in 48:29 3rd place in my ag in 12 degrees and 25mph winds. I posted a seperate RR Lots of pretty long runs here today a couple 20s and some double digits. Good job everyone. I officially start my marathon training schedule this week and am excited to get into it. I actually will take a back week this first week as my schedule starts me off with less miles then I have been running. I needed a back week anyway. Stay warm everyone and be careful out there if its as cold where you are that it will be here tomorrow. Below zero tonight. Brrr. All except Erika and in her case I hope it warms up to my cold temps.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING that could entice me into a bathtub of cold water. Brrrrrr. Now the warm shower sounded good. We also missed the snow in Virginia that they had forecast. However we also missed the rain and that allowed me to get in a 38 degree run of 3.14 miles. Happy birthday to Mr. Munchie. It won't be long before Knoxville is back upon us all. Where did that year go? I dodged a basketball trip for this weekend and am trying to do some extra work. The problem is I have too many games to watch on TV. I watch one and TIVO another and so the weekend goes along.
                  Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Tomwhite – I was just thinking about you on my run this morning, and how much I miss reading your posts. Cranium – congrats on your longest run yet! {{{PJH}}} I have no help or advice, except to say I’m hoping the best for you. Last spring, when training for a March marathon, I cut back to 3 runs/week for several weeks with tendinitis (patellar) and it didn’t seem to hurt my training. You have time yet for a couple of cut-back weeks. Good luck with it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Cheers to the brave souls who went out for a run today. As for me...I slept in, had a great breakfast in bed provided by DH, started packing and then went downstairs for a fun eze 6mile run. Cranium...congrats on your longest run ever. Be proud of yourself. PJH- no advice here either, but just to be patient and nurse that injury until all is well. Vista- ice baths are fun...you just have to use your imagination to make it "pleasant". Off to more packing. My DH said that for the way I am packing it looks like I will be gone for a year and not only a month. Half of my suitcase right now is full of running stuff. Roll eyes

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Great 20-milers, Holly and Perchcreek. Nice 16 miles, Jules. Congratulations on your longest run ever, Craneium. My workout: CARDIO: 3 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 8:59 pace CALISTHENICS: Stretching, 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 bench dips, hip exercises STRENGTH: 30 lat pulldowns, 30 dumbell curls each arm, 30 squats, 30 leg curls, 100 wrist curls with light barbell Dark Horse
                        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                        spacityrunner

Well, finally my day of fun is done... Big grin It started at 9 a.m. with a nice 6.5ish in 1:30 ish for a avg 14ish m/m in 37ishF, overcast. First mile was slow as it was over a wooden bridge and it was icy, so walked it. Part of the trail coming back has a very steep grade. My cranky ankle/foot really hurt when I tried to run on the grade. But there was nowhere to go, except into the oncoming "traffic" and run on the out side of the trail...not sure what is the proper thing to do here. Splits: 15:23, 13:47, 12:52, 12:54, 13:34, (steep grade) 14:51, and 13:02 for the last .43. Then of course, off to swim for 35 min, and then do my own version of a tri (whirlpool, cold plunge, steam room). I could not sit in a bathtub (like Holly, props you you gal) but I love going into the cold plunge pool and standing for 5-10 min. PJ: I am recovering from both AT and PF and I feel for ya. I am not a fast runner, nor in very good shape, but I have been down and out for 9 months. I suspect yours won't be that long. But rest it. Walk only...as long as there is no pain. Don't push it. Walk, walk, walk. Try some pool running if at all possible. Did I say rest it already? Rest it, rest it, rest it. Ok, and listen to your physio (as long as you trust them). I really enjoy reading of everyone's runs today...

Trails Rock!

Thanks for the kind responses to my half marathon race report. Steve, I'm belatedly adding my best wishes to you and your family. CNY, losing your bags at the airport is a bummer. I hope they turn up. Holly, I'm glad to hear it went well with your daughter at work. Happy birthday to mrmunch. PJH, sorry to hear about your achilles problem. I've had that twice. The first time I got over it in a couple of weeks but the second time it was closer to three months. Apparently, there can be a large amount of difference in the degree of the damage. During recovery, I walked a lot and rode the exercise bike. As far as coming back, I'd periodically try an easy run and quit when it started to hurt. I stretch my AT with the stairstep method (toes on step and drop heels to stretch AT). Since the last, more serious, episode, I have increased the amount of time in the down position. Good luck. Nice long runs for dtoce (with speedwork), barefoot rick (barefoot in the cold and snow), PDR, Twocat, Enkephalin, perch, Holly, and Craneium (longest ever). This morning, I did a 5K race (report to follow) in about the same conditions as hallar (not surprising since he's only about 50 miles away. After I got home, I headed for the TM in the basement for another 5 at 1% and 6.5mph (9:13 pace). Our roads were much worse than at the race I went to. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                            BTY

No shorts for me today. Wind chill is at 12, so with colder temps coming tomorrow I took a page (or is it disc) out of Holly's book and did my long run today. 12 miles, matching the wind chill. this is my longest run ever.
                              WTG Craneium! Today was supposed to be a rest day for me, or cross training, perhaps; but I finished the first coat of paint on the laundry room and realized it was almost 40F outside and it would make a nice break while I waited to paint the second coat. 5 miles in 47:00. (9:24's) Over 20 miles for the week. yahoooo! bty

Manchild

Looks like the day for Long Runs!!! Big grin Craneium- Way to go, dawg!!! Perch and Holly- nice 20 milers! and Jules on your 16, congrats. I headed out with my running partner at 10 to twelve and knocked out 12 miles, slowly (1:58) but I'm pleased. MV 20 Miler in one month and I'm still gonna try for it but I have to keep upping my LRs! Cloudy and cold conditions with varable wind from all directions. The run I had mapped out was basically half asphalt and have soft trails/dirt roads. Have a great evening, People! Chris