Masters Running

"Welcome to December!" Daily 12.1.12 (Read 346 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

We went to the official town tree lighting ceremony with a neighbor last night. It was very Norman Rockwell-ish: Lots of town people mingling in Santa hats; roasted chestnuts over here, hot cider over there; carolers and horse-drawn wagon rides; and then the countdown that ended with the lighting of a beautiful tree in the town center gazebo. What a wonderful evening!

I'm heading out this morning for a racewalking training session at a small (12 laps/mile) indoor track. I'll get there an hour early so I can get my workout in before the trainees come. After the session, I'll meet up with DW so we can head north a few miles for the first indoor farmer's market of the season (with a side trip to Trader Joe's), and then we have to hurry back for the town's Christmas parade. It's a mixed up kind'a day, but it's all good stuff.

Have a greta day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that sounds like a lovely event!  There was a tree-lighting in a nearby town last night that I was tempted to go to, but DH and I opted to stay home and watch a movie instead.  Man on a Ledge, btw, pretty good, but then I love Sam Worthington.

No run yet, just finished my coffee after sleeping in very late (for me). I'll head out in a bit for a few and check back in later.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Up and out early for 6 miles this morning.  Just waiting for the little kid to wake up so we can go out to breakfast.  She'd be mad if we left without her.

No running for me. I wake up Friday afternoon,work all night,then stay up Saturday all day. So Saturday is my day off.

Have a good weekend people.

Slo

10.1 easy miles. I ran it on a familiar out and back route that is starting to grow a little old so I ran it in reverse today.

DW leaves shortly for Milwaukee. DD and I will get our Christmas shopping for her done today.

Hope everyone has a greta weekend.

...Tennesse HS Football PlayOff's in town today.......

we will run thru 6-PlayOff Games in 48-hours......at.11-3-7PM

it

is Amazing.......also impossible to go out to Eat.

=======

.........28min poolrun

FlareUp in progress,

poolrunning usually helps

today it didn't

..........Pickles wants to goto a Movie, and then Shopping

this ain't gonna be pretty.

....................good running guys...............Enjoy the Gift.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tap, tap, tap, waiting for it to get light out, so that I don't have to run in the dark with my headlamp.  Would be a nice change ya know?  It is after 7 and still dark...     and raining....

Then I'll pack and head to the cabin with a friend.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good morning all!

11.6 miles in light snow with Iron J. Fun run and probably about 8:30 pace---slower at the end as the roads got a bit slippery. 

Heading off to Open Studios soon ---all gifts will be from local artisans or homemade this year. 

lamerunner, I was in Wolfeboro, but will be in touch soon about Manchester and Durham travel. We could meet up and run together and/or go find coastwalker!

Good Luck TW, or maybe I should be saying that to Pickles?

Marathon Maniac #957

Snow?  ouch!  45 degrees for my run this morning felt like a gift.....

6.6 easy-paced miles in the unseasonably warm December morning.   "Monkey leg" is mostly healed up, just a little stiffness remaining.  Now the only reminders are two black toenails and one that fell off.   Joking

DD's first basketball game is this afternoon.  With the age range of 3rd, 4th and 5th graders, and DD is a 5th grader, I think she will enjoy being the "big kid" even though she is not very tall.  I know a couple of the other players on the team, and I suspect her team will have a great season.  Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jeff F

Free Beer

Nice easy 5 miler this morning; temp about 40ish.  Unseasonably warm for central Illinois. So much so I am playing golf this afternoon...another bonus round.

Neighborhood white elephant party tonight, so I have no idea what I will do tomorrow.  I was thinking I may get the bike out and do a 20 miler...haven't been on it since September.

Later

Good morning!

Just back from a very easy 9 miles.  We ran part of this along the route a half mile trail race we're running in January, so that was fun.   And it rained here yesterday and last night, so the trail was wet and muddy.  Even more fun!

Today, we are putting up our Christmas decorations... My 7 year old is excited.   I'll be excited tonight, when it's done. Smile

King of PhotoShop

Well, I won my AG today at this 3-mile trail run in my town, but it was just awful!  25:45 or something like that, 8:35 a mile.  I knew I was going into it on tired legs after 3 40-mile weeks and no days off and every minute was very hard.  Up and down short hills, very soft surfaces, down a set of stone steps, then running through a stream on stones, stuff like that. I felt like I was running like the Roadrunner, with the feet going, but I just wasn't moving.  I suck at running trails.

OTOH, I achieved my goal of getting good quality work in, and on a soft surface where I wouldn't be likely to get hurt.  My RP won the women's Masters with a 21:28 (7:09's).  And here is what was fun: the trophies were compasses!  Kind of a neat idea.

Met a guy today who knew who I was but I didn't know him.  He told me he lurks on RA and has the handle "Huff and Puff" so it was fun to meet an RA buddy today.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Beautiful sunny day around here as well. It is about 50F now yummie weather for a run.

Congrats to Spareribs on his age win. Did your RP's shoes get all wet and messy? She is one speedy girl!

Enkephalin, enjoy your weekend at the cabin.

Craneium, cool, way too cool picture of you and your student in kilts. Great seeing you around here, btw.

Jay, enjoy our Christmas parade. Ours is next week and my Fit4Life Community Coalition decided at the last minute to organize a  2 miler "Jingle Bell Jog" prior to the parade. It should be fun.

Holly, I am glad to see that you are feeling better.

Well, it is not going to get any warmer today, unless I decided to do a TM run, so off to trot I go.

See you all later.

BTW, where is Troy?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Look at that! Spareribs the trail runner! Who'da thunk it? Good job on the AG win, and I love the compasses!

I hope all you folks with that crazy warm weather are enjoying yourselves. You damn well better NOT be treadmill running when it's so nice like that! We had one of the coldest Novembers in the records (I think 4th or 5th coldest?) and it's not getting any better. -31° in town right now, and something like -15° here which is about the coldest it's been this winter. We'll be losing our "inversion effect" this weekend so it's gonna get colder up here in the hills. Drat.

I'll do something on the treadmill later. When I get really tired of it and start to fall into that "I hate the TM" funk, I think of how fortunate I am that I have this tool that helps me get some sort of mileage when the temps are so icky. 

Gotta get in here early before we're on page 4!

Tramps

Koko

R.I.P. Koko

We had to put down our 16-year old dog this morning (shown above a few years ago). Koko was rambunctious in her youth (we used to refer to “moments of goodness” ), scary smart (too smart sometimes), and a mellow sweetheart in her older years (she developed a funny technique where she’d gently put her head against your leg and then start leaning into you with increasing pressure until she got petted).  She was my DW’s dog from the start (when she brought the stinky, days-old puppy home in a shoe box from the dump; a stray) but she long ago wormed her way into my daily routine and my affections (she always sat to watch me stretch outside after a run and then began wagging, knowing she’d get petted). She had a good life with lots of attention, good care, plenty of room outside to run and explore, and many, many naps stretched out on the grass in the sunshine (I was sometimes envious).

This was no surprise given her age and erratic health recently.  But things took a quick turn for the worse overnight and we brought her into the vet first thing this morning, knowing what the likely outcome would be.  The procedure was quick and quiet.  Afterwards we brought her back home and buried her in the back yard next to her buddy/nemesis, Billie, who died last year.  During one of her runs on a cold winter morning, DW found Billie shivering and abandoned.  The dog clearly had been abused and it took a couple of months for her to stop cowering when we approached and learn that she’d be petted, not hit.  Usually, Billie was funny and endlessly enthusiastic but she was always a little neurotic, too.  She and Koko were constant companions—Koko serious, Billie silly—but sometimes Billie would be mean to Koko for no reason. 

Billie

We’re left with a 16 year old cat, Taylor (another stray), who has health issues of her own but is still enjoying the good life, sleeping on my desk as I type this.

Needless to say, I didn’t get my planned long run in this morning but I did manage to squeeze in an 8-miler before it was time to go to the vet’s.  Knowing I wouldn’t be able to run long, I threw in a few MP-pace miles towards the end.

Be safe. Be kind.