Masters Running

Tuesday, June 24th Daily (Read 534 times)

Welcome.....Good morning!I managed an easy 3.7 miles last night in the cemetary where I often run. The good news at the cemetary is that they have "opened" up a new area. This is great news as it wil give me some new grave markers to read. I had felt that business there was dying and this just proves it. The sad part (besides the fact that people are dying to get there) is that this area is where the deer would come and graze, since it was never mowed. Now they are going to have to keep it mowed and the deer will have to find new horizons. At one point when I was doing my long run on Sunday on the local bike/running trail system, I came upon police with dogs. While I did not stop to find out what was going on, the reason ended up on the news. Apparently a man with a gun had robbed one of the walkers in that area. As one runner who was interviewed on the TV news said....."This thief better learn to run because he is not going to catch very many of us out here". Reportedly he was a large 300 pound man. If you want a laugh and a bit of a reflection on life as a boomer....here is the link to click on: http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-walt-babyboomers-blurb,0,1036393.blurb Have a great day. Enjoy your run. Joey
    Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks for getting us going, Vista. Tempo with hills today: 2.2 mi warm-up with Tory at 9:40 pace then 4.4 miles of moguls at 7:43 pace then 2 miles cooldown at 8:08 pace overall: 8.6 mi in 1:11:33 (8:19, AHR 153, max 169)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thanks Vista! I'll need a laugh when I get to work, so I'll save it until then. Out for 4 Brinkley-less miles this morning. My neighbor's house was dark this mornig too, so I was on my own. 9:56 Avg. Pace - 166 Avg. HR I'll get out today for new shoes - just couldn't get there yesterday. I also got my biopsy results yesterday and it is a Basal Cell which I suspected. Thanks for all the well wishes on my small PR yesterday! I will acheive my 26:59 or less next time!! Big grin Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The Jogger

Morning All Joey, that link was so funny, it must be dead easy to get into that grave yard if they're needing extra space, the gunman mmmm be careful there. Just back from a wedding in Ireland, DD looked after the house while we were gone, a big leap forward for her, for those that know her panic attack history. Had a nice run along the canal in county Kildare. Mrs Roy enjoyed the trip, the wedding was my nephew Barry and Leanne his bride. It was a bit of a grand affair with nearly 200 people I enjoyed the people watching bit of it as they all enjoyed the beverages in the evening Smile Bride & Groom Myself and Mrs Roy Oh 3 easy today Roy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all Smile Geez Joey...not even safe on a running / cycling trail. I think as fuel prices and everything else keeps going up, we are going to see more of this kind of thievery activity Angry. ....."This thief better learn to run because he is not going to catch very many of us out here". Reportedly he was a large 300 pound man" Problem with that is, it is hard to outrun a bullet. That video was hilarious Big grin Nice run Mary - happy shoe shopping today. Again Steve...sweet workout...you are and impressive runner dude. 10 easy paced miles last night at 8:58 pace - felt good and the weather was nice. Well, in a hurry and need to get my workday started. Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

King of PhotoShop

Congrats to the happy couple Roy, and may they have many years of wedded bliss. Great photos too. A planned day off for me today. I am not very good at geography, but just to give you an idea where I am, here you go. I am staying in a hotel in South Sioux City, NE, and I learned that I can run over the bridge that crosses the Missouri, into Iowa and there is a walkway where I can run for miles in either direction, so that is my plan for tomorrow and I am quite excited. In Pittsburgh I run along the Allegheny and go by PNC Park, Heinz Field and a bunch of other neat sites. It's fun to travel and run in new places. Mary, good that you got that diagnosis and now you can deal with it. Hope you are okay. Spareribs

Hill Runner

Good morning all, It was a liitle cooler this morning...66F...felt great. 10.17 miles of hills @ 8:58 pace followed by 1/2 mile cooldown walk and 10 minutes in the pool. Good running to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

The horizontal scroll bar will get a workout this morning with the width of those great pix! I slept in this morning (over 9 and 1/2 hours!) with the plan being to get in some track work tonight after work. Perhaps 6 to 8 half mile repeats at 5K pace (whatever that may be these days) with a couple of minutes jogging between each. But we'll see if this happens as Thunderstorms typically will wash out most evening runs this time of year. Resting HR is still worrisome high, but I am feeling generally more rested the last few days. 9 and 1/2 hours of sleep would do that you'd think! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Hello running friends! I've turned into a mover, packer, cleaner, landscaper, and a NON-RUNNER! Black eye Don't even peek at my log -- I'm so exhausted when I'm done my day, I pass out on the new house floor. TODAY IS MOVING DAY! So, I'm hoping that tonight, I return to my status as a regular boomer runner. Say a prayer.... Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Just an easy shake my legs out 6 miler this morning. The air was a very pleasant 61 and humidity was quite low. Beautiful sunrise along the erie canal today. Last day of school for the kids today, the teachers still have to work through thursday. Sometimes in the day to day world of teaching it is hard to see the impact that you might have on your students. Our 5th graders put together a memory book where kids list their favorite things from elementary school. I was struck by a couple of very quiet students that I always talk to put rarely get anything back stated that I was a person they would miss when they left our school. It showed me that children are being reached even when you might think they are not. Another thing I noticed was how many of them wanted to work at occupations their parents are in. I have always felt that parents are such huge role models for their children, again, even when you think you are not. I thought of how all of you running parents are being such great role models for your children. Enjoy your day and your responsibility.
                      Dave59

Rest day for me. This home fix-up is wearing me out. The dry wall guys come by every morning to "put on another coat" of something and wakes everyone up. Then I'm stuck with 2 grouchy daughters and 1 grouchy granddaughter. I asked how long this is going to go on and I have 2 more days to look forward to. Street construction right out front of the house is a mess too. I would love to catch a break and get one good, solid day of work done. (And I'm sure my employer would appreciate it too!) Enough whining. I'll try to fit in 10 minutes of work. Roll eyes

DickyG

Some great runs already this morning.. Vista: What a great start to today's thread...hmmmm...running in a cemetary. Did it ever occur to you that you might have a big fan club and not even know it? The treadmill cartoon is hilarious...forwarding it to my regular joke list. Perchcreek: Tough run, man...killer pace on the hills....are moguls easier to run than they are to ski? Did 4.1 miles on the hills today...as expected, my injured groin muscle and lack of conditioning took its toll and I did a fair amount of walking...ended up doing 40:16 (9:49 pace). Went to see doctor yesterday...he said it was absurd for me to be running in my condition...he's probably right.
                            Good morning Boomers. Another glorious morning for running here - 63F, light wind and blue skies. We're supposed to get more heat and humidity starting tomorrow so I guess I'll get a taste of what our other Boomers are running in. 7.5 miles in 1:10:05 this morning. Feeling a little pokey with a sore right hip that's been bugging me the last week or so. Vista - could I relate to the cartoon clip today! My DH got a good laugh as well. As my aunt used to say: "getting old is not for sissies!" Roy - great pictures. The bride and groom look so happy. So do you and Mrs. Roy! The bride's bouquet is beautiful. It looks like there's some unusual flowers in it. Mary - I was sorry to hear about your test results. What will be your plan of action? Please keep us posted - and we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. More nice runs by Perch, Tim and Peter. You all put in a lot of hill work and I know it pays huge dividends on race days. Nonoruns - good luck with the move, and don't think you're not getting a great workout by doing what you've been doing! Moving is so stressful - you might need a short run just to help get rid of some. Hope everything goes smoothly today. Cranium - you have a huge impact on your kids, and after reading some of your recent posts I know it's a very positive impact. It must make you feel like you're doing everything right when you read what the kids have to say about you. Keep up the good work. Dave - good luck with the construction project. Two more days and things will be back to normal. Too chatty today. Sorry! Good runs, everyone. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Roy – lovely pictures of the bride and groom and of you and your own bride. Mary – I had a basil cell removed from my back a few years ago, and it was really a very painless procedure. Breger – watch that RHR. You wouldn’t be sleeping 9.5 hours if you didn’t need it. Nonoruns – I feel your pain. Even after 6 weeks, it seems like every spare moment I get is spent on the multitude of new house projects, my least favorite being a recent one where I crouched like Spiderman in the overheated attic crawl space, balancing on ceiling beams where the roof comes down to 10” and digging through insulation to run speaker wire for the 4 surround-sound speakers DH hung in the living room. I still have scratches on my back from the shingle nails poking through the roof. Shocked 6.4 easy-paced miles for me today (ave 10:05) with 8 x 100m striders. I think I am finally feeling the hill up to my house becoming easier. I’m still not climbing it very fast (ave pace up it today was 10:25), but I feel stronger and my stride is stretching from a shuffle/stagger to more of a running stride. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Morning, Great video clip Vista, although I don't plan on singing those lyrics any time soon! Beautiful photos Roy and great smiling faces. Thanks. Big workout day for me that was supposed to be a double, but schedule is a bit mucked up with baseball. The thunderstorms that won't quit are forcing all the playoff and all-star games into the end of this week. The kiddo is on both teams, so that's the priority. Anyway....13.2 miles in 1:49:40 including 3x15 minutes at 7:20 pace with 3 minutes rest in between and then 1x10 minutes at 7:10 pace ---20 minutes warmup easy pace and the final 2.4 miles at easy pace for cool down. This workout is for pace focus, stamina building and includes hills. I prefer including hill work in a long workout to simulate race courses rather than doing hill repeats. It was overcast and 63F when I went out at 7:AM. I had 9 hours of sleep two nights ago and 8 hours last night----big difference in how I feel. I am tired, but hit the paces pretty well, 7:19, 7:20, 7:18 and then 7:08 for the last segment. I wore my Mother's Day present---a Garmin 405---and did my best to avoid its siren song to look at it obsessively. Mary, hope it's all okay...and I am glad you had that spot diagnosed. Dr J of the runing Js is a dermatapathologist (sp? that doesn't look right) and has a huge chunk of her arm missing thanks to basal cells. I'll hope for the best and they can just get rid of the spot with minimal invasive treatment. Speaking of the running Js...Perch you asked if there are pictures of them and I realize that I don't have a photo of all of us. In fact we joke that when we go out socially, we have to sit side by side since that's how we run. I'll work on getting a photo some day. Gotta scoot CNYrunner