Masters Running

Monday 4/8/19 (Read 43 times)

SteveP

Fine Sunday Recap Joe618.

Coastwalker straps up the ankle for 8.7 daylight RW miles.Good luck taming the deers' appetite.

Joe618 clunks a 6 miler.

Bioguy pasts his Saturday marathon! Sweet. Sunday....he rides for 12!!!

RunnerKSA gets her 7.1 miler run done just before the rain. Well done on 35 years of wedded bliss.

Stumpy77 has a 2 mile run!!! Yes!!!

Rochrunner has a rest day while listing a self induced honey do list.

TwoCat has a recovery run.

Tom White storms the x-bike for 40 minutes.

AnneB has a drizzly flora and fauna 10k!!! Don't read that part Twocat.

HollyS came up short at the hotel. Her 4.2 miles had to wait until she got home.

Tramps has a picture perfect 38 mile ride.

Dnaff mixes yoga and coffee.

Spacityrunner emerges from the den and hits the trails!!!

Henrun celebrates 17 years with Mrrun with a late 2 miler after resting his vocal chords.

Dave59 plays with matches regarding fashion statements.

MikeE has 15.47 hard miles. I'm sad to hear about I Bleed Union Blue. dang.

Quickadder has a pair of 7.5 milers between storms last week.

Deez4boyz has a sunny 6.5 miles.

JLynne works all day at the candy store then calls it a rest day.

Surly Bill has a nice 7.5 milers. He plans on taking it easy for a local 12 hours run.

Falconfixer has a quick 5+.

Fatozzig's garage went to the dogs.

Mariposai has a soaring 12 miler outing.

Tetsujin209 has no Batman shirts. Man that was hard to write.

DW and I got a couple of mutts out to a campground for a 64F two miles.34.7 miles for the week. It's still closed for the season, but it was active with people getting the grounds spruced up. DW had Marley on the leash and kept saying she needed a drink. We had water in the truck and it's only two miles. I kept telling my wife that the dog lies. DW caved in and took Marley to the lake and she rolled around in the water....without taking a drink. DD#3 had a went dog just before guests came over for dinner.

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the recap/start, Steve. DD#3 must have been thrilled to get a wet Marley back just before company came yesterday.

Happy anniversaries to KSA and Marj/Henrun!! Keep up the good work on those marriages.

Nice work on the Salisbury Marathon, Bioguy!

Very sorry to hear the belated news about Dennis Ley's passing. Thanks for the photos, Holly.

Twocat, I also don't understand how that runner hit by a truck that ran a light could be at fault. There's no logic there.

This morning, I was fatigued from yesterday's workout and yard work, plus it is blustery and raining out there, and I don't want to start the week with a rule violation, so I stayed in and did about a half hour of stretching and core work.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Steve.

Twocat  That wasn't the result when my daughter was hit in the crosswalk last October while running.  The driver was ticketed and at fault and my daughter got an appropriate settlement from the driver's insurance company.   Unfortunately, I think that incident had more of an effect on my daughter than we all realized.  She hasn't been running much at all since then and isn't happy that she is so out of shape.  She's trying to work out 3 times a week (includes cycling and yoga).  Her job keeps her very busy and isn't 9 to 5.

3.5 treadmill miles this morning.  Pouring rain and will be that way all day.  Thunderstorms overnight scared the big dog and his panting kept me awake since 4.  Ugh.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Nice start, Steve.   The dog's view of a "drink" is quite different than ours!!

Karen, hope your DD can find a way to get into an exercise routine. 

The rest day may be just fine for you and your ankle, Jay.   Enjoy it.

Rest day here for me as I'm in taper mode this week.   It feels strange, frankly. 

All the best for your Monday!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Good morning folks. Thanks for the recap Steve. Nice run with the doggies, and nice mileage for the week!

"Rainy days and Mondays always get me down"  I hope you got a few extra zzz's anyway Jay. You too, KSA. And I forgot about your daughter. I'm sure when something like that happens, it's always in the back of your mind and getting back to running on the same route(s) makes you anxious.

Enjoy taper week Joe! How's that extended forecast looking?

6.42 miles in absolutely glorious weather this morning. 47° and no wind, plus a beautiful orange/pink sun coming up over the horizon. Finished with 20 minutes of weights and core.

DS#1 and DIL almost lost their little beagle Miles last week. They had an exterminator come over to spray for spiders and bugs and put down a few mice traps. Apparently Miles got into some poison and got really, really sick. It's been 5 days and he's just finally getting back to normal. He's such a sweet little dog, and those boys would be devastated if something happened to him. I'm glad he's pulling through this.

Another day at the candy store. Have a good one people!

TwoCat, I have seen the rule that you shouldn't start across if the light is counting down or blinking, although we've all done it. But one rule that almost all drivers violate is that (at least here in MI) you can't proceed thru a crosswalk if there is someone anywhere within the crosswalk. So even if you stop for a pedestrian and they have cleared your path and are on their way to the opposite curb, you have to wait until they actually reach the curb. Speaking of which, if you ever hear that I've been hit by a car, I can guarantee you which intersection it will have happened at. Even though I always wait for the Walk signal, I've had lots of close calls there, mainly with drivers turning "right on red" without making a stop and while looking to their left instead of where they're going!

Nothing today so far. We have a bike ride planned for the afternoon, but so far the predicted sun and high 60s have not made an appearance.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

anneb

Morning all. Thanks for recapping Steve.

I did an easy 4 around the (dark) neighborhood this morning. 54 degrees 5:35am! It's nice to be able to put on a shirt and shorts and just go run. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Karen, I hope K can get back into some regular routine if that's what she's after. I remember she was getting so speedy!

Nice marathon Bioguy, I missed that on Saturday. Hope you're enjoying recovery.

Have a good Monday everyone.

Anne

Joe618

"Rainy days and Mondays always get me down"  

Enjoy taper week Joe! How's that extended forecast looking?

The first Karen Carpenter sighting of the day...

Patriot's Day in Boston forecast is deteriorating and I'm hoping it bounces back.   Today, it projects temps in the low 40s with rain and a headwind of 10-12mph.   Almost identical to the conditions I ran in a week ago in the HM.   So, I'll hope it improves and plan for the wet/cold.  It will be what it will be!   More concerned for my family standing out in it than for me.   I'll be moving!

Glad you had such a beautiful run this morning!

Thanks for asking!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Singer who runs a smidge

I kept telling my wife that the dog lies.

Dusty also lies.  He stands at the door and whines to go out, and then when DH gets off the couch to let him out, he circles around the coffee table and gets up on the couch.  It always makes me laugh!

Yoga this morning, but no biking.  I had a carpool passenger, and didn't think she would appreciate riding in on my handlebars.  Plus I am not that coordinated.

I watched absolutely none of the games this weekend ... but living in Charlottesville, I certainly got a recap at church on Sunday!  I doubt I'll watch the game tonight either, but all my local FB friends will let me know what happened ....  I know of one teacher who is not giving homework tonight and won't cover anything of substance tomorrow, because she knows her kids will be useless tomorrow morning.  Luckily I live far enough out of town not to get caught up too much in either festivities or disappointments, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are fireworks in my neighborhood if we win.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Tramps

Sorry to hear about Dennis. (Do we know the cause?) He was a die-hard Columbus Blue Jackets hockey fan (thus the IBleedUnionBlue screen name) and I think even had season tickets. Just in his early 50s, I believe. Too young.

dnaff--yardwork is definitely cross-training. You can tell the next day.

Spa--glad you're able to get out for some air.  I bet there a thousand little things a day that you now appreciate more.

A belated happy anniversary to KSA. And to Marj and Henry. 17 years? You're just kids!  TriBee and I are looking at 36 years next month, depending how you date it.

Happy taper week, Joe.  Ignore all the phantom aches and put away the weather forecast until Friday.

Thought about Mari today, since there were butterflies fluttering everywhere on my run.

It felt more like early summer than spring today. Very warm and even a little humid for my 4-mile run. Heading to 80+F today.

Be safe. Be kind.

TwoCat, I have seen the rule that you shouldn't start across if the light is counting down or blinking, although we've all done it. But one rule that almost all drivers violate is that (at least here in MI) you can't proceed thru a crosswalk if there is someone anywhere within the crosswalk. So even if you stop for a pedestrian and they have cleared your path and are on their way to the opposite curb, you have to wait until they actually reach the curb.

This has always been my understanding of the law, as well.  Also, regarding of whether you're turning onto a one-way street, it is the driver's responsibility to look both left and right to ensure there are no pedestrians in the way OR a driver driving the wrong way on a one-way street.  Around here, bicyclists are notorious for riding wherever and however they want and on the sidewalks.

Humboldt County seems to have more than its fair share of crappy drivers, but if you're walking anywhere in the area where I work, you absolutely look both ways before stepping out into a green light or a crosswalk count down.  My heart goes out to the family of the deceased.  Guaranteed that's not the end of the story.

Hopes - Our cat, Wilson, is a seat stealer.  Your butt will barely be off the couch and he's slipped his fat butt into your place then looks at your like, "What?  I've been here all along!"

It's raining again today.  Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.  My butt has calmed down enough that I'm going to start working out again this evening.  I will be exercising a lot of caution when incorporating the PT exercises to try and ascertain exactly where the problem is.  But I gotta do something for exercise.  I feel like crap and my mood isn't any better.

The Hub and I came to a compromise regarding my/his trip north in July to the Portland area.  He will stay at Karen's while she and I are up on Mt. Hood at the race, then when we get back, he can go up and visit his sister for a couple of days then go stay with his buddies in St. Helens.  One of his friends has offered him a car, so I'll take him to St. Helens and keeps ours.  He doesn't even care if I go his reunion, so that's a plus!  That'll give him the freedom to hang out with whomever he wants for however long he wants and just enjoy himself.  We may rendezvous in Portland one day when Karen's working.  I told him that's fine, but he has to be wiling to do whatever I want to do, which will more than likely entail Goodwill shopping.   The down side is the Sunday we leave, I'll have to be up and out the door by about 4:00 a.m. to drive the hour north to St. Helens to pick him up. 

Okay - Time to start the day with gusto!!  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dnaff

Steve, another well done recap.  Thanks.

Yes, I should have counted yardwork as my workout.  I have the blisters to prove it.  On the other hand, the yoga afterwards really really felt great.  Nothing like the feeling of stretching out overworked muscles.

Re the discussion on traffic lights:  There is only one that gives me fits and it is 8 seconds long.  Yes, I've timed it because that makes me feel in control.  I have to cross 4 lanes of traffic in 8 seconds.   Impossible.  Especially if the dog is along and she is being stubborn.  Though maybe I should count it as speed work.

Volunteered at the animal shelter this morning, leaning toward a rest day for the remainder of the day.

Dave59

3 for me this morning. It was an argument with myself to do anything.

Many crosswalks around here start counting down the instant they change to green so I guess there isn't a law around here that you can't enter when it starts counting. Otherwise, you could never cross.

A haircutting place opened here recently and they mailed me a free coupon so I tried it out. It is called Sports Clips. After the haircut they wash your hair, put a hot towel on your face, give you a facial massage, and then when they bring you back to the main station they give your shoulders and upper back a massage. A little overkill for a haircut, but the cut was good and they are close to home so I'll go back.

pfriese

Good morning all.

I've been pretty busy & got a bit behind in here. I just got back from a getaway weekend to Colorado. While up there the weather was absolutely perfect & I got in a couple of nice runs. On Saturday I was running on the Highline Canal Trail near where we were staying. About 4 or 5 miles into my run. I see a familiar face running my direction. It was seemomgo (Lori) from the old Coolrunning Boomers forum. I had not seen her in probably 4 years. We ran together for a couple of miles & had a great "catching up" chat. Total run mileage on Saturday: 8.7 miles.

She recommended a place for me to run on Sunday. So, on Sunday in once again perfect weather, I ran the Waterton Canyon Trail up to its junction with the Colorado Trail. A nice gradual incline the whole way up made for a nice easy run back down to the car. A lot of runners out on the trail & I saw a bit of Colorado wildlife (mule deer, beaver, etc.) along with many folks fly fishing. Total mileage on Sunday: 12.5 miles.

Back in the flatlands this morning, I went for a 6 mile recovery run this morning to start of the week.

Paul

Mta: Joe618, I'm a compulsive pre-race weather watcher, too. But, you're guaranteed better weather for Boston than we had last year. I really don't have any tips or suggestion for your 1st Boston. However, be sure to pick up the official Adidas Boston Marathon poster (it's free). It'll have your name & bib number on it somewhere.It is one of my favorite souveneirs from Boston & I have mine from my 1st Boston Marathon framed in my man cave.

Marathon Maniac #957

Paul - nice pics!

No run for me today, I was feeling a bit blue and just didn't have the mojo.  However, I did about 40 minutes of weights, which I really need to start getting into again, so it wasn't a total loss.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."