Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 1.7.18 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    Tramps (strength & stretching work)
    Jlynne (5.9 morning TM miles at the Y + 20 min of leg & core work)
    Twocat (7.5 TM miles)
    Pfriese (8 morning river trail miles with the running group in 27° temps)
    Analogkid (14.2 East End Park mile sin 35° calm weather)
    Catwhoorg (11 TM miles)
    RunnerKSA (7.1 late morning miles in 22° temps)
    Tet (3 rainy morning bus stop miles + 400 parking garage stairs + 300 stairs going home)
    Bioguy (5 TM miles at a club)
    Enke (3 lovely drizzly miles in 46° temps)
    Mariposai (1 running mile with no knee bark)
    Wildchild (6 dirt road neighborhood miles in high 30s temps)
    Fatozzig (30 min of core/ST, with crawling)
    Tammy (12 miles in sunny, mid-40s weather)
    Spacityrunner (.41 cedar creek trail miles in sunny, 40° weather)
    Surly Bill (5.2 miles in good weather)
    Evanflein (6.6 hilly neighborhood miles in sunny 12° weather)
    Falconfixer (6.2 miles in pre/post-work runs)
    Quickadder (Wild Azalea Trail 27-Mi. Ultra - 12th OA in 5:35:15)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

''...every mile is a gift. I would count every one of those miles in my log Smile.'''

..............just  wanted to add an Amen to mari's post.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

If it wasn't Steve Agbaba over KFAR, then I've never been to Fairbanks. In 1964, I bought a then-highest-end-of-the-line Zenith Transoceanic radio specifically ot listen to his nightly broadcasts of the Fairbanks Goldpanners minor league baseball team (think Tom Seaver, Dave Winfield, Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi) during eleven months of long days and nights at a fisheries research camp a little over 100 miles to the north on the Yukon River.  In the fifties, he had broadcast our little league games a little southeast of erikaland.

I've decided Tet is the most interesting man in the world.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

I've decided Tet is the most interesting man in the world.

Nobody else is even close!

Misplaced runner...

4.5 very easy cover-the-watch miles.  Sunday is enjoy-the-run day.  First week of 2018 is a 45 mile week - hope to keep the mojo flowin'!

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

Dave59

Rest day for me.

I didn't make it in here yesterday but I did run. 6 miles on the gym treadmill.

0° this morning, I have been letting the water drip at night during this cold weather, but the previous owners seemed to have done a good job with insulation and wrapping the pipes, so I decided to try not letting the water run.  I found out that at 0°, the pipes will freeze.   The hot water was frozen this morning. The cold water was ok, probably because of my procrastination on fixing a toilet that runs every few minutes.

I opened the door to the attic and cranked up the heat in the house and garage. A few minutes ago, the water started running again. So far there doesn't seem to be any damage from being frozen but I'm not 100% there isn't something wrong where I can't see it. I don't hear any water running so there is nothing else I can do but wait and see if anything happens.

By Thursday it is supposed to be 60° here.

evanflein

Building houses in other parts of the country just isn't anything like building houses here, apparently. Ours are built to withstand weeks of very cold (as in -20 is a warm day) weather and I wouldn't even think of freezing pipes until we're in -40 temps for an extended period of time. Our "weak spot" is where the well line comes into the house in the garage, and we have a heat tape we plug in if it's going to be cold for awhile. That's about it.

Tet, Steve Agbaba died years ago. I remember him on the radio (KFAR am radio) when I was a kid. He was one of those guys who always seemed like an old fart. I'm sure he had white hair and big black glasses as a kid.   And yes, get that thing on your cheek checked out.

Falcon, the part of your story that got me was "after dark" and I had to think, how dark does it get in late July? Not very, really... Must've been a "relative dark" compared to earlier, right? And yeah, some stations seem to have an "anything goes" approach to reporting.

Quickadder, well done on the ultra! Wow, I missed that you had that coming up.

Nothing yet for me. Just sitting here with the cat drinking coffee and thought I'd pop in to say hi.

Mike E

MM #5615

Just sitting here with the cat drinking coffee and thought I'd pop in to say hi.

I've never heard of a cat drinking coffee.

37 degrees by the time I got out there.  Started out with my husband from the parking lot at the path but after a mile we went different ways and different distances.  4.3 miles for me  for a 39.2 mile week  and 48 km in the Strava/Lulu challenge.  Apparently there is quite an uproar since some folks (this is worldwide) are logging cyle miles as run miles and averaging over 20 miles a day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Just sitting here with the cat drinking coffee

The visual on this made me laugh...

I have been taking DD driving for about 30 minutes each day this week (or rather, she has been taking me driving).  While it can be somewhat hair-raising at times, it has also been kind of a bonding time.  These days we are rarely alone together like this, and we are actually having conversations, laughing together, all her sassy eye-rolling teen persona dropped.  Pretty nice.

Today is the last day of the deep freeze here, at least for a while.  I wimped out and ran on the TM because I just didn't feel like putting on so many layers.

5.2 miles total.

Back at it tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Nobody else is even close!

Absolutely.

Ran a 20k race this morning and won! Well there were only 6 other morons out there in 11 degrees and 20 mph winds. Happy with my time but yowza. Go figure now its 31.

Building your own home is impressive.

Dropped DD off at school for semester 2. We have a game plan and process. If she sticks with it, she will get where she wants to go. Fingers crossed but I will be a polite pest from afar.

Off to some chores. Still warming up.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

pfriese

Another 8 miles for me today on a very windy morning with an almost balmy 50o temperature. The wind is to shift back to the north later today bringing colder weather for the next few days.

Paul

Congratulations on the win, Norm!   Once you get the award home, no one knows how many people were there!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Morning folks - great runs yesterday!!

Great job Quickadder!!

Body Pump class followed by 2.2 miles on the treadmill. I haven't run outside since my fall Christmas Day and plan on waiting for a day above 20 to venture out.

Lost a friend early this morning to cancer - so sad. Funny thing is yesterday was the 13th annual Ladies Luncheon she has been organizing with friends from when our kids were in elementary school together. I had to work, but the group that went took a picture together and sent it to her husband and family who were at her bedside. She's had a really rough couple of weeks, but it was almost as tho she waited until after the ladies luncheon to pass on. She left us at 2:30 this morning. #cancersucks

denise

bioguy

Denise- sorry for your loss.

I got in 10 today; DW and I walked to dog this morning and it was 10 degrees. Came home, graded a while, then went for a run at 1:30 and it was 19 degrees. Was very comfortable at that temp.

Tailwinds!