Masters Running

Carrollton 10K - Carrollton, MI (Read 213 times)

Short story: 57:17 9:14/mi 19/35 OA 2/2 AG (60-64) This is my seventh year for being at this series of races. They have a 5K, 10K, 20K, and marathon. This is a small race. This year there were 57 in the 5K, 35 in the 10K, 23 in the 20K and 76 in the marathon.I have done all except the 5K. The course is an out and back 5K which is repeated as many times as it takes for your particular race. It's sort of neat to keep seeing the same faces over and over, especially if you do the 20K or marathon. The 20K and marathon start at 6:00 and the 5K and 10K at 8:15. Shortly after arriving, I wandered over to the starting line/turn around and saw Mallory. She had come with her boyfriend, Mike, who was doing the 20K. She was going to do the 10K, her first race at that distance. We were able to see Mike, Terry, and Brian make the turn to start their third and final loop in the 20K. While watching, Mark showed up and he would be doing the 10K. I got to say a few words to Craig, the race director, and his wife Joan. In addition to starting the races, Craig had already done the 20K himself and been all over the course making sure things were in order and encouraging the volunteers and racers. He was also planning on doing the 5K. Angie and her son, Josh, showed up and would also be in the 10K. Shirley introduced me to her son, Johnathon. They were doing the 5K. I also saw Leonard who has finally gotten out of my age group since his last birthday. We got to see Mike, Terry, and Brian finish the 20K All too soon, it was time to stop visiting and get to the starting line. My hamstring has been pretty good lately but I still felt I shouldn't push too hard. I felt that a little slower than my 8K two weeks ago (9:03 pace) would be in order. I was concerned that during the last couple months of reduced miles that my stamina has decreased. I checked my GPS after a few hundred yards and realized I had, as usual, started a bit fast and cut back a little. As I did my two laps, my average pace, according to my GPS got up to a high around 9:15 and dropped in the last couple of miles so it read 9:06 at the finish. I knew the official would be slower as I would have run more than the official distance since I don't cut all the corners. Mr. Garmin says I covered 6.29 miles. I got to wave at my friends during my two laps and see 5K walkers and runners, 10K runners, the remnants of the 20K runners, and the marathoners all on the course at the same time. There were probably half a dozen marathon maniacs in their distinctive shirts. At the half way turn around, Terry, Mike, and Brian were there for encouragement. Shortly after the turn around at the halfway of the second lap, I met Mallory who was accompanied by Terry who had jumped in to run the last lap with her. Mike and Brian were at the finish and I joined them to see Mallory, Terry, and Brian finish. We waited around for the awards for the 5K, 10K, and 20K before going our separate ways. Everyone had a good time. I was impressed and inspired by the 70 year old man who did the 5K walk with oxygen tubes in his nose and a small oxygen tank on his back. After getting home, I checked my GPS for my mile splits which were 9:03, 9:16, 9:12, 9:15, 9:06, 8:59, and a pace of 8:22 for the last .29 mile. Thanks for reading. TomS
    Dave59

Good to hear your hamstring is holding up. I love that event. I've done the 20k and used the marathon as long training run one year (stopping a couple laps short of the marathon). And my favorite year was when I worked as a volunteer. I handed out water and ice near the start line so I got to see the same people 8 times. Craig is a great guy and the money goes to a good cause.

This sounds like a lot of fun, Tom! Glad your hammie behaved itself. Nice race and very nice race report. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

DickyG

Top effort, Tom...very smart not to push it after recent injury. Also noted that your pace actually dropped during the last couple miles. Looks like you set your goals intelligently and then achieved them. Next year you'll move up to my age group...and you can beat my butt all day. Great race. DickyG
          evanflein

Wow... so how many laps of that 5k course do you run for the marathon? 8 and a half? hmmm not sure what I'd think of that! Good race and good pacing for taking care of that hamstring... I know what you mean about losing the endurance though. Seems like it took a couple weeks to come back from being sick a few days! Amazing how some people just say they can't do something like a 5k, then you see someone with the oxygen tank doing it. People are amazing, ya know? Thanks for posting, Tom!
              Hey Tom glad to see a little thing like a Hammy isn't keeping you from your summer race schedule. Like all your RRs I get the feeling it was more about the camaraderie than the race anyway. 70 year old carrying oxygen Confused On the other hand ,I could probably could benefit from a shot of oxygen every mile or so too Wink Hope to see you at a race again before the years end. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

King of PhotoShop

Decent pace for coming off an injury Tom. I imagine you are pretty safely on the mend now. Well done. Spareribs
                Dave59

Wow... so how many laps of that 5k course do you run for the marathon? 8 and a half? hmmm not sure what I'd think of that!
                  (Stepping in for Tom) The marathoners run a 2k out and back, and then 8 times on the 5k (which is also an out and back). So you actually find yourself passing some spots 18 times! It sounds terrible, but some people bring their own coolers of drinks and make their own person refreshment spot. A lot of the marathoners are 50 state people who run it because of the timing. Most Michigan marathons are spring or fall (which is when many marathons seem to be). The year I volunteered I met people from all over the country.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tom--now I know why you like the small races--you like to know at least a quarter of all the racers that are entered Wink glad your hammy is holding up and you were able to run a satisfying race. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Tom, Your RRs are about the entire event, not simply the run. I love that. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

coastwalker

Hi Tom, So, another social event with a race thrown in, eh? You ran well, especially with the concern for your hamstring, and put together some nice and consistent splits with a good pick-up toward the end. Well done!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Glad you're getting back in shape and ran a respectable 10K time. Are you going to be ready for 10 miles in a few weeks? Sounds like a number of RA runners might be there.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

selb3

Well done Tom. You certainly are on the mend. Dave
                            huskydon

Tom, Sounds like a fun race, very cool that there are many who run each year. Good race results for you, I admire your even splits. Thanks for the report! huskydon