Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 5.19.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (4.1 miles)

Tramps (EZ 5 miles with aches in heat)

Deeze (1600m swim, 10 min. pool running)

Fatozzig (1 morning hour of core/ST)

Tet (5 miles under cloud cover)

Pfriese (14 warm, windy, humid morning miles)

Spacityrunner (2.5 hot and humid evening miles)

Marj (hazy, hot, and humid morning bike miles)

Evanflein (5.8 EZ afternoon miles in near IRC)

Twocat (13 quick Nashville morning miles)

Mike (4/10 mile with 2 running buddies)

Tramps, I also would have thought the 'bicycle' exercises are better for the bod, but my bod says otherwise (being the contrarian that it is). I hope you come up with a solution for the knee issue.

Tammy, I tried to find that story about the Oregon community again, but failed. I'll keep looking.

I hope you had a good time with little Maria yesterday, Deeze.

Sorry about being a house prisoner, Rochrunner. But it must be nice to see progress on your construction projects. I hope you get out today, and that the pollen isn't too bad.

I'm glad you are staying cozy by the woodstove in your snowstorm, Wildchild - unbelievable!

Congrats on 'moving up the schedule' for your cortisone shot, Fatozzig. I hope TomWhite's solution works on your ants, and that you take it easy working with the Hub this weekend.

I hope yesterday's storms skipped you, Pfriese.

You guessed right, Marj and Evanflein.

Welcome home, Twocat.

I'm glad you are continuing to have fun with your new running buddies, Mike.

We (conservation commission) went to the zoning board meeting last night to try to convince them to NOT grant variances from our wetlands ordinances for a specific project. We got a partial victory, and we're OK with that.

I'm not a light sleeper, but I was woken up several times last night by the sound of wind gusts roaring by the house. It was calm this morning, and I got dressed to head out. But then I decided I really needed some more sleep for today, so I got undressed and went back to bed for a while. So it goes.

Best of luck to this weekend's racers:

05/20 spinach - Wag Walk and Run 5k , Eden Prairie MN

05/20 pfriese - Run 4 Air 5K, Mustang OK

05/20 SubDood Superior Spring Trail Race 25k, Lutsen, MN (Superior Hiking Trail)

05/21 rochrunner - Back to the Beach Trail 10K, Stony Creek, MI

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good luck racers!

3.1 miles this morning.  That's it for today.   Looks like possible bad weather for my son's half ironman on Sunday in Chatt.   Thunderstorms.  He thinks the swim will be canceled and it will just be bike/run.  We'll see.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Just popping in from my self-imposed exile to wish Jay the best birthday! And welcome to a new AG

I saw that Amy had a post on FB. Even if it was short, it's great to know she's still around!

Add me to the list of runners (if you want to call what I've been doing lately running) this weekend. The Cellcom marathon offered a new category this year: the half marathon as a relay. So DS#2 (who has not trained one stitch) and I are running together. At least it won't be brutally hot and humid like it's been in past years. Forecast for rain all day tomorrow and cool and windy on Sunday. I was just remembering how much fun it was the year that Amy, Erika, Holly and Starr were all here....

9 days of school left!

Dave59

Happy birthday Jay. New age groups almost make getting old fun.

Hey there Jlynne. Facebook popped a memory thingy of me getting on the ferry to cross Lake Michigan so I knew it was Cellcom time.  The memories of 2 of my worst half marathons are finally becoming blurred and don't seem so bad.  It only took 5 years or so.   Too bad my daughter moved to Chicago because I'd like to try it again someday,

Fatozzig - Go ahead with the landscaping help but I recommend not spending 2 hours shoveling gravel into the back of a dump truck. It took me 6 days to recover from that.

It's been in the upper 80's to 90 here. I stopped at the gym on the way home from work and it was the warmest I can remember it ever being inside there,  Since I joined late last fall I guess it makes sense it was the warmest.

This morning I ran 4 at the local park.

We have a new CIO at the company.  I reported directly to the old CIO before he left, but I'll be 2 layers down from the new guy.  I got shuffled around a bit.  I looked him up on LinkedIn and one comment was, "James is the General Patton of IT."  That doesn't sound very good to me.   Found some interesting stuff when I googled him.   (Just remember folks. No privacy in this world any more.)

pfriese

7 miles done just before T-storms moved in this mroning.

Paul

Tramps

Happy birthday, Jay.

A bloody 7 miler today.  Yesterday during my run an old worn running sock split and the shoe rubbed the spot raw enough to break the skin (just above the heel and below the Achilles, at the top of the shoe).  No big deal; I put some moleskin on this morning and headed out.  A few miles in, the moleskin had worked its way loose and my sock was a bright red bloody mess.  Didn't really hurt, just looked liked I'd been shot.  Then as I sweat more and more on this hot run, my shirt got heavy and abrasive.  Before I knew it my nipples had been rubbed raw and my pristine white shirt now had two bright bloody patches streaking down the front. Geez!  You'd have sworn I just came out of a battle. With all the stops to adjust shoes, etc, it was more of a  fiasco than a run. 

TGIF.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday Jay!!

no running for me today. Going on a long run with a friend tomorrow morning, bright and early (ok, 8 a.m. is bright and early on the weekend!) to get in  a long run before it gets too warm.  Marathon training starts for her this week for the Rogue Run in mid Sept.  She typically does a long run of 8-10 right now anyways, so she's already ahead of the game. I figure if I keep going on long runs with her, I might inadvertently be in marathon shape myself. 

Tammy

...Happy B'Day jay//........we all chipped in and got you a little something......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uR2cNaqdE&index=2&list=PL4EE3BD1E35E2E69D

eta-

[[[[jylnne]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

dg.

another quick flyby to say Hi Jeanne!!!!

& (with a corresponding # of exclamation points so that I'm not all tilty)  Happy bday Jay!!!!

crazy day, just 2.33 miles this morning because I had to.

...ok, quick hit

NPR Back Pain info

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/05/19/528516985/poll-doctors-are-still-prescribing-lots-of-opioids-for-low-back-pain

(need I add I'm still on Disabled List??)

and

a REALLY good IT band stretch at 1:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbyJlxY79Is

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy birthday jay.

Bike - 10 dry miles under cloud cover thinning so much more than yesterday to reveal my-and-bike shadow a couple of times in Seattle’s annual Bike-to-Everywhere Day (nee Bike-to-Work Day).

Starbucks Station - the high-pressure processed, cold-pressed, Evolution brand, watermelon/lemon blend drink at the Starbucks stop was better than the coffee. Another aid-stop in front of The Bikery I’ve ridden/run/walked by hundreds, if not thousands, of times over the years along Hiawatha Street revealed it wasn’t the bike shop I used to assume but a do-it-yourself, freebie volunteer bike repair workshop station for anybody to use.

Snow – my sister from where amy used to work/run in SD reported two inches of snow of their lawn this morning. As a lifelong skier, I wouldn’t mind one bit a warm wood stove in a cabin somewhere after a couple hours of xc ski touring.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

ps jeanne - gotta love kids who go racing without any concept of training. Not that I would know that that’s how it happened to me but, next thing you know, he’ll start thinking he can run marathons, triathlons, ultras, etc. too without much, if any, either too.

pps rka -  it was out in the middle of Tokyo Bay back in '85 when a thunderstorm send out rescue boats to get us and send us on to the bike/run sine swim time.  I guess I can google but I wonder if lightning strike swimmers too.  I sure got to shore in our metal skiff fast once with DS and DD when our hair started standing on end and shortly thereafter thunder/lightening ensued. whew.

ppps - tramps - don't waste all the blood on a regular run.

Go find a trail race somewhere.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Biked around 20 miles today including bike to work and errands.  then we tried a new restaurant on the water which was lovely, although we got lost getting there.

too warm for may - last night lightening, thunder around midnight. woke up, closed windows and went back to sleep.

have a great w/e and good luck to all racers!

marj

Happy birthday coastwalker! A new AG is a wonderful thing! So many people I know freak out over hitting an age ending in 0 or 5. Great thing about racing is that it is a cause for joy!

My final day of conference week! Hot dog! In another 15 minutes I will finally walk into the front door of my house. Best of all I do not have to attend any paper presentations for 10 days. Hay, better than nothing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

Happy Birthday Jay-remember, age is just a number- and a wonderful number when you enter a new AG.

While Marj was cycling all over I ran a slow, hot 2.7 miles around the local reservoir. My reward was a delicious lunch that Marj alluded to.

A new documentary started today at the local art film theater, "Obit"- about The NY Times obituary writers. I'm an avid obit reader-as a former shrink it feeds my curiosity about people's lives, celebs and non celebs alike. One short note this morning described how one local man reluctantly spent his winters in Florida when he would rather have skied from his other home in northern N.H. That really says it all⛄️

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Jay!

Tramps - ouch!

TomWhite - I can't believe I fell for that AGAIN! 

My in-laws are visiting from Wyoming, so not much time to chat, but I did get out for 10 miles this morning along the river, and about 15 minutes of weights afterward.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."