Masters Running

Wild Rogue Relay and other race reports (6-15-17) (Read 29 times)

Mariposai

Good luck intrepid racers!!!

Was lucky to be able to post this exchange time picture from the Wild Rogue Relay Smile

06/16-17 TammyinGP - Wild Rogue Relay, Southern Oregon

06/16-17 pfriese - Wild Rogue Relay, Southern Oregon

06/16-17 Opie - Wild Rogue Relay, Southern Oregon

06/17 evanflein - Midnight Sun Run 10k

06/17  wildchild - Bighorn 32 mile, Dayton Wyoming

The Wild Rogue Relay is on it's way right now.

Have fun RA family crew!!! Take lots of pictures and come back here to give us a report.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

I just thought I'd come in and let you all know that HermosaBoy won his age group at Grandma's Marathon, yesterday, in 2:51:32.  Of course, he was shooting for a sub 2:43 so he's not as impressed as we are.

HermosaBoy

I just thought I'd come in and let you all know that HermosaBoy won his age group at Grandma's Marathon, yesterday, in 2:51:32.  Of course, he was shooting for a sub 2:43 so he's not as impressed as we are.

Thanks for noticing Mike.

I am not going to complain about my race.  It was a big course PR, but the heat/humidity kept me from running to where my fitness level is currently.

Time to recover and figure out what my next marathon will be.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

evanflein

Yep, saw this on Facebook, an excellent result! It seems that Grandma's is always hot and humid, though. Is that a more recent years' development? Sort of like Bayshore in MI, I don't think it used to be described as a hot marathon, but that's certainly been the recent reports.

My 10k last night went pretty well, considering. I'm certainly slower than I used to be, and there are a lot of younger FAST women in the field so my overall placement is dropping year over year. But 47:50 (gun time) still won my age group by about a minute, so there is that. Chip time was 47:36 and I had said I'd be thrilled with anything under 48:00, so there you go. Felt pretty good throughout, never had the GI issues I've had in some years, and the fatigue in my quads that prompted several walk breaks last year never happened. I felt good enough afterwards I wondered if I should've pushed it more, but nah, I'm happy with this result.

I ran Grandma's several years ago and we had great weather. A week or so later the poor people were hit with torrential rains and the place flooded. Anyway, just popped in to congratulate the RA Wild Rogue Relay team! But now that I know about HeromsaBoy race, congratulations to him too!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

The year I ran Grandma's was great weather too (for running, not so much for spectating, I'm sure they were cold!).  Congrats Hermosaboy and Erika on your races!

The WRR was so much fun and if no one minds, I'll start a separate RR thread for that so all of us that ran it can pop in throughout the week and add their commentary, photos, or whatever else they'd like.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to the WRR team, and to Hermosaboy!

I had an epic and fun weekend in Wyoming at the Bighorn Wild and Scenic Trail Run 32 mile race!  I carpooled up with 4 other women, who were all doing the 52 mile race, and we also had about 10 more friends from Colorado that we met up there.  4 others were running the 32 mile race with me, and one was doing the 100 mile race - the rest were in the 52 miler.

It rained all  night on Friday (which was especially tough for the 100 milers, who were out running all night!)  It turned the course into a mudfest - slippery and pretty much unrunnable.  The 52 milers started at 5 am in the cold rain, in the dark.   By the time the 32 mile race started, at 8 am, it was still cold and raining, but at least it wasn't dark...

The first 14 miles were pretty tough - it was so muddy you couldn't get any traction.  But at least it stopped raining within the first hour, and the sun came out a couple of hours later.  After that, things dried out a bit, and the second half was pretty runnable.  I finished in 7:46,  which is more than an hour slower than the last time I ran the 32 miler back in 2013, but given the conditions, I was happy with my finish.  I was 4th of 16 in my AG.   I'll be in a new AG in 3 weeks, and I would have won that AG by over an hour!

My 52 miler friends didn't fare as well - all but one of them got pulled at the 18.5 mile aid station by missing the 5 hour cutoff.  You'd think 5 hours would be plenty to run 18.5 miles, all downhill, but it was so slick and muddy that they had a pretty epic time of it.  My 100 miler friend got pulled at mile 85 for missing a cutoff.  But all 5 of us running the 32 mile option finished - we were lucky that we picked this distance this year!

Here are a few pictures, taken by my friends:

At the 32 mile start - that's me on the left.  My friends are all smiling, but I was shivering too much to smile!

The uphill start - the road was too slick to walk uphill, so everyone was in the grass at the sides.  I felt bad about causing erosion by not walking on the path, but I couldn't get any traction at all in the mud!

The wildflowers were as amazing as ever - I think the Bighorn is the prettiest race I've ever done, which is why I keep going back!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

TammyinGP

Congrats on finishing that Carolyn! A local friend was there for the 100 miler and her brief write-up also described it as a mucky, slick, mudfest. She had to drop at 47 due to the conditions.   I wonder how many 100 mile finishers there were compared to how many started?

Tammy

I'll be in a new AG in 3 weeks, and I would have won that AG by over an hour!

The wildflowers were as amazing as ever - I think the Bighorn is the prettiest race I've ever done, which is why I keep going back!

Yeah to you all for finishing this race. Congrats on 4th place, Carolyn.  Ugh to the mud ran and cold but those flowers are beautiful.. New age groups are sometimes a good thing!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, wild!  The coolest thing is hearing about all the friends you've made in the last few years.  Very cool.

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice job, wild!  The coolest thing is hearing about all the friends you've made in the last few years.  Very cool.

My ultra friends are a very bad influence on me!  They're trying to talk me into registering for a 50 mile race in September in Steamboat Springs, CO....

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

My ultra friends are a very bad influence on me!  They're trying to talk me into registering for a 50 mile race in September in Steamboat Springs, CO....

So...you're running a 50 mile race in September in Steamboat Springs, huh?

wildchild

Carolyn

So...you're running a 50 mile race in September in Steamboat Springs, huh?

Ha ha, Mike... yeah, I might be!  So you're being a bad influence too!  Are you in? 

Tramps

Excellent race in tough conditions, Rob.  Congrats on the hardware.

Erika, winning your AG by a minute is nothing to minimize.  Nice!

Wow, that does sound "epic," Carolyn.  Congrats on finishing.  That race looks beautiful. I can see why you'd want to keep coming back.

Be safe. Be kind.

Congratulations to all - and great pictures! You guys never stop amazing me running in really tough conditions.