Masters Running

WEEKLY RUNNING & X-TRAINING w/e 04/18 (Read 732 times)

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes (Buddha)

We have some folks heading to Boston this week.  Good luck!

Erika - 35.5 miles run, 1.35 mile walk, token elliptical and weights (and a PR!!I)

Evryday - 15 miles running

Dutchie -61.3 km running, 26 km biking, lower body - 2x, upper body - 2x, abs - 2x

Shadowrunner - 25.8 miles running, 3hrs free weights, 670 push-ups, 1.25 hrs. core excercises.

Stumpy - 6.75 miles running, yoga,

Nono - 7 miles running, 20 min yoga, 20 min slideboard/stretch.

pfriese - 51.7 miles running, 686 pushups

Eliza - 2.1 miles running, yoga, and lots of pain free walking

fatozzig - 57 miles running

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

It's an easy week for me, thankfully.

Mon - Rest

Tues - 3 miles walk/jog ---------------------------- 2.75 miles (Had to use the bathroom so had to cut it short)

Wed - Rest

Thurs - 30-45 min strength ----------------------- Slept

Fri - Rest ----------------------------------------------- 5 miles

Sat - Rest

Sun - (my schedule doesn't go this far . . . )

Totals: 7.75 miles.  I think this is quite possibly the lowest mileage I've had in a very long time, with the exception of when I had surgery.  Next week, it starts all over again.

My race report is on a separate thread in this forum, if you're interested.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie, you are awesome, and you certainly earned every moment of those rest days!

Monday - ran 2.2 miles; have now run more miles in April than in all of February  Smile

Tuesday - stretch and rest

Wednesday - stomach a little wonky, so rested again; can't wait to run tomorrow and this weekend

Thursday - ran 2.1 miles; I think all of my insides must be pollen-covered after being outside even for such a short time; it's wicked out there

Friday - fell asleep so deeply that it felt like I passed out after school, so no time to run before family dinner this evening, bringing new meaning to "rest day"

Saturday - volunteered at an Open House at the Life-Saving Station then hung out at the bay for a while; cool wind must have gotten to me - passed out on the bed again (not face-down this time) from 5 'til almost 10, so no running again  Sad

Sunday - ran 4 miles with NO PAIN during or after;  I am astounded

Ran 8.3; stretching; unanticipated face-down napping

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Dutchie42

Thanks Leslie for starting us up again. Where's your race report? I tried to follow you but didn't know your bib # or last name.

Mon: 30LB, 30min UB and abs

Done! Skipped the recovery run I do on Monday's though my legs were fine.

My R-hip problem returned last Friday. But today it got so bad I can't even walk without it hurting. With the 16hr Roparun team training this weekend I booked an emergency appointment with my PT. Turns out it’s not my hip, but one of my gluteus muscles that attaches to the hip bone. In other words... it’s my butt! I’m in for some very painful deep tissue massage treatments 3xweek, sigh. And he immediately told me off for skipping my monthly maintenance treatment since October. Yeah yeah, it’s all my own fault... Anyways, after the relay we'll see how to go from there, depending on how my butt's been behaving during and after the relay

Tue: 7K TM hills + lots of stretching my butt

No running. Butt was sore after yesterday's PT appt. and hip still painful. Had to step off the TM after only 5 min. 

Wed: 5.5K easy + PushUps&Abs + lots of stretching my butt + PT app.

PT told me yesterday (Wed) the relay run this weekend is OUT. He wants me to run 10K easy today. If that doesn't aggrevate the problem I can run an other 10K on Friday. I have my next appt. Friday afternoon. Then we'll discuss what to do with my long run on Sunday. Already have 3 more appts. for next week. But the way the relay works, run a kilometer, sit in a van for 3 kilometers when you cool down and muscles start stiffening up, then repeat is the worst thing I could do right now. Arghhhhh. I'm sooooo disappointed. I was really looking forward to this 16hr relay. 

Thu: 12.5K easy + lots of stretching my butt

Test run, as advised by my PT, 8.8 kilometers.
          It seemed to go well. Hip was a little painful at first, but as I warmed up the pain subsided and the hip was just noticeable.
          However, with 3 kilometers left to go, I decided to speed up for 5 trees (100 meters mabye?) and slow down again for 5 trees and repeat a couple of times. After about 8 times, as I was speeding up there was a sudden stabbing painat the top of my hip where that butt muscle attaches to the hip bone, that made me cry out and stop. As I slowly started running again, the hip was definitely pretty painful, though it got a bit better by the end of my run. Guess I shouldn't have tried to do a teeny weeny bit of speed work, sigh.
          Just walked about 2 kilometers to the vet and back with Spike and Spook for Spooky's annual check up and the hip wasn't feeling as bad as this morning. Guess what, Spooky lost weight and she's now under doctor's orders to eat more Wink 

Fri: 45min UB + 30min Plyo w/o + abs + PT app.

Nothing to report. Overslept. Had my PT appt. Am allowed to run 60 easy min tomorrow. And if it doesn't aggrevate my hip, 15K on Sunday or 90min. whichever comes first. 

Things were going crazy at work. Our parent company has decided on some changes. My boss was informed on Mon afternoon, I was informed first thing Tue morning and the whole management team was informed Tue afternoon. From the second I was told, things went in overdrive. So much to do, organise, people to call, arrangements to make. It was a roller coaster till Friday afternoon when the press release came out. Impact on myself: my boss is transfered somewhere else and I get a new boss. I know this guy from chatting on the phone. Always a lot of fun. But there's a big difference between chatting on the phone and actually working with someone. My boss is leaving in 6 weeks, which is when the new guy is meant to start.

Sat: 5.5K doggie run, then off to the relay in Belgium (we start at 3PM)

Someone on another forum reminded me that I have CWX stabilix compression capri's for running and that those are great for supporting the butt/hip area. I've found them tucked away in a drawer and will be using them religiously. In case you are wondering why I have them and don't wear 'm...... these are compression tights.... they compress..... they make me pee a kazillion times....
          In case any of you get butt problems, cows head (yoga pose) is a great butt stretch. Why have I been skipping that one the last couple of months? 

Sun: finish the relay (predicted finish is 7AM), drive home and recover

15K long run went better than expected. Like Sat, it hurt at the beginning of the run, but then the hip just became noticeable. Lots of stretching afterwards.

Total running mileage:35.15 kilometers

Total biking mileage:0

UB: 1x

LB:1x

Abs:1x

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Beginner all over again

Hello, Everyone, mind if I join All'ya'all ?

I'm training for my First Marathon mid-2011. So you'll see a lot of boring slow basebuilding from me

Mon1:05   (15-35-15)    HR<145

Tue -   .0:30 mins Walk  HR 89

Wed -  1:00  WU/RW/CD HR<135

Thur ---Day off

Fri  ---   1:00   (15-30-15)  HR<135

PLAN REMAINING

Sat  ---   Day Off

Sun--    1:00   (15-30-15)   same  ole

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A bit slow starting the week.  How come you're goofing off this week, Leslie?

Monday - Yoga.  Basketball instead--1-1/2 hours for 1st time in over a year and a hlf

Tuesday - 3 miles.  Recover from BB.

Wednesday - x-training.  3.1 miles

Thursday - 3+ miles and strength.  rest day due to total loss of will power this morning

Friday - rest.  3.2 miles

Saturday - x-training (pump).  5K on a whim

Sunday - 6+ miles.  1.25 on the TM and 2 on the elliptical.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Hi Frances! Welcome and post often!

Dutchie, it's amazing how much the butt muscles affect hips and legs. And a lot of those butt problems are from lower back issues! A year ago I was sure I was suffering arthritis in my hip, but it turned out to be sciatic nerve problems which brought me down hard at Boston. This year, I've been keeping up the cross training and core work and (*knock*knock*) no problems whatsoever in that area!

Last week before Boston! I've got so much to get done before I leave on Thursday evening it's mind-boggling. And I'm leaving so early to give my lower back plenty of time to recover from the trip. Plane seats are awful!!

Monday: 31 minutes elliptical (3.7 miles), .5 mile walk, 10 minutes of abs/core/stretching

Tuesday: 5 mile tempo run (7:54 avg pace), .33 mile walk

Wednesday: 6.4 miles of hills, .36 mile walk

Thursday: 5 miles run (8:00 avg), .5 mile walk

Friday: (travel/rest day)

Saturday: 3.1 miles with WRFB and PDR (9:05), Boston Expo afterwards!

Sunday: 2.3 miles easy, then another visit to the Expo and brunch with rtravers and a bunch of other KR and RA peeps!

Totals: 21.8 miles run, 1.7 miles walked (plus many more not recorded), 3.7 miles elliptical and some weights/abs

I'm not taking my computer with me, so unless I can find a hotel computer to update my stuff, it'll be done next week! Decided I didn't want to leave it home. I'm hooked. 

pfriese

Thanks Leslie

M - 0 miles running, 102 pushups

T - 8 miles running, 103 pushups

W - 8 miles running, 104 pushups

Th - 0 miles running, 105 pushups

F - 0 miles running, 106 pushups

Sa - 5K race (new PR of 21:22), 2.5 miles wu/cd run, 107 pushups

Su - 13.5 miles running, 108 pushups

Total - 35.1 miles running, 735 pushups

Paul

Congrats Leslie!  And thanks for this thread.

Welcome, Frances

Monday............rest..................rest

Tuesday..........6miles............6miles

Wedsday........6miles.............6miles

Thursday........rest..................rest

Friday..............6miles.............no run

Saturday.........rest..................no run

Sunday...........6miles.............6miles

Total....18miles

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

I swear I posted here...crap the dementia must be starting! I bet I never hit the "post" button!

Hi Frances!

So, this week, I'm not going to share my plan, just report what happened.  I seem to jinx myself by actually thinking that if I have a plan, it'll work out. (ha! hope springs eternal).

Actual
                       M  Ran 2 mi on treadmill
                       T  Ran 3 mi with Renee while pushing kids in double stroller
                       W  25 min yoga
                       T  10 min slideboard, 10 min stretch
                       F rest (from what?)
                       S  ran 3 mi
                       S  ran 6 mi

Totals: Running 14 miles, 25 min yoga, 10 min stretch.  WTH?  This is even a workout?  I'm losing it!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Thanks Leslie.  Late posting for me.  Been real lazy this week due to all day meetings and post race fatigue.

• Mon - no core work-out; PM hour of UB free-weights
                        • Tue - AM 15 min core workout: 120 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, mild stretching.  Followed by 4.1 mile easy run.
                        • Wed - slept in so skipped core work-out again  Did 6X400 m intervals with 1600 warm-up and cool down.  total about 4.8 miles.
                        • Thurs: Triple header hopefully today:  AM 15 min core workout: 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, 2 sets of pull-ups, mild stretching.  PM: 50 min UB/LB free-weights early afternoon , 3.57 mile easy {shirtless - } run after work. 71F @ 7:53 pace 
                        • Fri:  AM 15 min core workout: 150 push-ups, 3 sets of abds, 3 sets of pull-ups, mild stretching.
                        • Sat  AM 15 min core workout: 130 push-ups, 3 sets of abds,  mild stretching,some light UB dumbells [curls, shoulders, triceps};  Long run 10.9 miles @ 8:29 pace.
                        • Sun:  Easy run in afternoon, 4.8 miles.

total mileage 28.1 miles, 750 push-ups, hour of core; 1:50 free weights.  definitely an off week. 

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Hi, Frances and welcome!  I think I remember you from the newbies board?  I'm training for my first marathon, too.  I have this fantasy that it might be at Hartford in October, but it might end up beings in 2011 as well.  Do you have a particular one in mind?

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Dutchie42

Welcome Frances. You might think base building is boring, but you'll be grateful you did once you start building mileage for your marathon.

I may run my 2nd one this October. I have a 10miler and 30K planned for Sept. Marathon would be 3 weeks after the 30K.

Come on Eliz, let's train for a fall marathon together

Erika: good luck in Boston! You go go go girl

Dutchie
                            Run the day, or the day runs you.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

So, this week, I'm not going to share my plan, just report what happened.  I seem to jinx myself by actually thinking that if I have a plan, it'll work out. (ha! hope springs eternal).

I think we have something in common.    So I try to limit planning to same day.  Anything over 12 hrs and the jinx sets in. 

Welcome Frances.  Sorry for the belated welcome but been a bit tardy this week with posts here.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Beginner all over again

Hi, Frances and welcome!  I think I remember you from the newbies board?  I'm training for my first marathon, too.  I have this fantasy that it might be at Hartford in October, but it might end up beings in 2011 as well.  Do you have a particular one in mind?

Eliz 

Hi Eliz, Yes, I thought that was You (from the Newbies board)

Congrats on training for your first marathon.

Mainly, I am going to just Keep on Training, and when my Performance seems ready for a marathon, then I'll take a peek at the Race Calendar and see which marathon is coming up, and do That One. It doesn't much matter to me which one to do.  I guess I'm more interested in being able to run one, than actually running one. :-)

I do think I need the entire year.  All those Marathon Training Plans seem to ramp up the Long Runs twice as quickly as my legs can tolerate them.

I was reading the boston Thread this morning wondering, How Do All Those People Qualify ?!?!???

Amazing.

I'd like to BQ one day

I don't even want to go to Boston or run Boston ~wink~ but I'd like to qualify.

For now though

I've yet to do a LR over 12 miles

For now and until Christmas, it's just Lower Effort runs, 3 times a week

I'm still wondering how to get a 4th day running in without overdo-ing the legs........