Masters Running

Saturday July 10 Master Slogfests (and other Runs) (Read 454 times)

I had a real slogfest this morning.  15.25 miles at 9:12 pace.  Never had any energy though i managed a few a MP in the  middle.  Really glad this one is done!  A warm one for sure.

Everyone have a great day and a great weekend.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Nice run Bill !

My training for this next Marathon has been sucking terribly......I did get 7.3 in this am and hoping for a nice long run tomorrow. I would love to be able to get at least 2.5 hrs in.

Unless things change on the home front I'll be working all weekend. I missed out on a 5k this am and tonight there's a moonlight 4 miler that hosts one heck of a party afterwards but we won't be making that either. I know I've got a sub 20 5k in me...... someday I'll have to opportunity to let it loose!

Enjoy your weekend !

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice job "sticking" it out ByllBig grin

Your time will come Slo and all those other runner's will be wondering where "that" guy came from!

I was debating this morning on a long run today or tomorrow.   After I got out there, decided it would be tomorrow.  So I gave it all I had to get through my 4 miles.     Yesterday we had 18 tons of crushed concrete delivered and 30 yards of fill sand.   The fill sand is already used, and I had to get home to order 90 more yards!!!   This patio / pond idea of mine is getting outta control!!       It'll sure be nice when it is done though.

Happy Saturday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I look my best blurry!

I feel bad but all I can do is add a quick note.  Our WiFi here is terrible!!! Everytime I type a long e-mail/msg it I get knocked off and it was a waste of time.  So I will just say "Hello y'all!" and I will catch up when I get back to civilization.  I do have some great pics I will share later!  8 miles this am.  Love the beach but my calves are killing me!  Gotta go ice my legs!

More later PROMISE!  

Kristen

Dave59

Bill - Good way to kick off the day.  15.25 in the heat.  Throw down an early challenge for everyone else to aim for,.

Hopeful - Way too much work.

A homecare nurse came to visit me yesterday.  I thought it was to change my bandage and check the foot.  It was that, but much more.  I got a series of lectures for not keeping off my foot enough, for going back to work too soon, for an improper diet, for not taking my pain medicines enough, etc.  Somewhere in that 3-hour visit I did learn some good stuff about how the body heals itself.  I will do my best to follow everything she told me.

The highlight of my day will be taking a shower.   I haven't had one since Monday.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

The highlight of my day will be taking a shower.   I haven't had one since Monday.

Dave:  Take care of that foot and be smart and give it time to heal. Also  I don't really know you that well but I am sure I speak for everyone by saying Thank you! - for the shower.  Take care.

Morning everyone,

Despite oversleeping today managed to get out and do 10.9 miles in 78F and high humidity on the D&R towpath.  Overcast today so no sun but still shorts were pretty much soaked after 15 mins of running.  Last mile or so the rain started and it felt great.  Especially after the high temps and humidity we have had here in the NE.  After run I just stood there and let it rain. 

Have a great weekend.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

5 easy miles this morning, then worked traffic control for a small 5k.

Bill that's one tough training run.

Slo pick a race, prime for it, then let it loose  you can do it! 

Mary are you having a private beach with that pond

Dave I think maybe the RA ladies may have sent that nurse. 

Off to umpire

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

..luckily Bee Swarming Season is a few weeks off.........

..........ReelMowing Experiment  with Orthotics today,

hopefully

with same results

as last week

==>>I can still walk afterwards.......

.................................good running guys...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

I was debating this morning on a long run today or tomorrow.   After I got out there, decided it would be tomorrow.  So I gave it all I had to get through my 4 miles.   

Mary, Ditto! While Marj drove up to N.H. to spend quality time with the grandkids I "ran" the slowest 4 miles I've ever done-could have walked faster. This humidity is getting to me. Tomorrow 'promises' to be better-so may be able to get a longer (and faster) run in.

Stay cool all!.

Way to gut it out Bill and Slo - and everyone else running though the heat. I had a very muggy, but not quite as hot 14 miles this morning at 8:38 pace on the Battle Road Trail in Lexington/Concord. Even the dead British soldiers were sweating. Some speedier stretches in the middle. Slowed down at the end as the trails went uphill. Those last 2-3 miles were a little rough. Was running by myself but came upon one of my running club buddies who was walking back during a 6 mile out and back. She started running with me so we kept each other company for the last couple miles.

Grabbed me a an iced coffee from Peets and dove in the pool when I got home. Ahhhhhhh. Even though the water temp is 90, it still felt pretty good.

Mile 1    9:13                                        

Mile 2    8:37                                        

Mile 3    8:40                                        

Mile 4    8:41                                        

Mile 5    8:24                                        

Mile 6    8:37                                        

Mile 7    8:42                                        

Mile 8    8:20                                        

Mile 9    8:10                                        

Mile 10 8:33                                        

Mile 11 8:49                                        

Mile 12 8:59                                        

Mile 13 8:36                                        

Mile 14 8:51

King of PhotoShop

Very well done Bill!

Dave, the best  investment you can make in recuperation is to follow the guidance of your health care providers to the letter.  Get well soon.

The difficulty with complaining about the humidity I have found is that after you do it for a few days you tend to run out of superlatives. "Oh was it humid today!" you write.  Then the next day it's humid again, so you have to post, "Today was even worse than yesterday.  I can't believe how humid it is!"  And then you go on from there, eventually running out of ways to describe it, or having the others who read your posts simply say, "What a wimp.  All he does is complain about the humidity."

I had to laugh at this when I went out this morning. We had a hammering rain storm last night and the front has still not moved on, so the air was pretty still.  I got out of my air conditioned car and immediately my sunglasses fogged up!  It was laughable, really.  I got 5 in, just to do 40 for the week, in 99% humidity.  Runners were shaking their heads at each other as they passed by.  Kind of neat.  Feel sorry for anyone racing down here today.  Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Joe.. I bet that rain felt great!

Kristen.. nice workout running in the sand!

Byll.. sounds like you are heat acclimated!

Ribs.. here's one...

I knew it was going to be tough when I could feel my feet squishing in my shoes from the sweat after only 4 miles!

75° and 72°Dew Point (93% humidity) at 5 am!  Planned on 13 but cut it back to 10.1 miles of big steep hills (300 ft).  That humdity wiped me out!

1:38:55 (9:46 pace, way slower during the half mile up the 6.5% grade (oxygen please!). 

....And then I watched Le Tour de France as they hit the foothills of the Alps. Nice to watch others suffer while still sweating from a run  

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Another fun concert and dinner with friends last night.  I love listening to music outdoors in the summer time...

Mary – I am amazed that you were able to go on and do all that yard work yesterday after having a couple margaritas…I think I would have had to take a nap instead…

Spareribs – you know how I feel about the cold and ice….you’ll never hear me complain about the heat….and besides, all that profuse sweating is probably good for my complexion….

What with my (presumed) hamstring tendon knee pain off and on this week, I took the day off running, and after some thought decided to take tomorrow and the next day off, too.  I thought about cycling, but straining to bike up my hill home is something I think that would aggravate the tender spot, rather than resting it. 

I hate to give up my LR, but 2 years ago I lost most of the summer’s running due to a tendon problem and I don’t want that to happen this year.  If I had listened to the doctor back then, and taken a month off immediately, I probably wouldn’t have taken so long to heal.  Like Nobby reminded me, it’s better to under-train than over-train, and a few days or a week off won’t kill me.  I might try some pool running tomorrow, using DD's swim noodle to keep afloat.

So, this morning I languished in bed to an unheard-of hour – 7:00! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Jlynne, you asked for help with PF yesterday. I know several here have suffered from it, but the worst case (and best recovery) was Perchcreek. Steve, you ought to send a note to Jlynne about how you recovered from yours.

Sorry to hear about the heat and humidity and the lack of superlative adjectives to fully describe the situation. We had nice hot weather all week (upper 70's and 80's) and I loved it. What I didn't love was having to work inside most of the week! Glad it was a short week though. Don't think I could've handled a full 5 days. So, today dawned bright, sunny and warm (already 70 at 9 a.m.), but it's clouding over and might rain this afternoon, and tomorrow morning. Figures. That's how our summer has gone... beautiful during the work week, cloudy and rainy on the weekends. I need to rearrange my work schedule apparently.

Love that picture, Holly. I think I took that one... what a fun weekend that was. When the Seattle RnR came around this year I thought about that weekend and how it will be hard to top that. We'll figure out a way though. I think next year we need to do another big party marathon. Any ideas??

And yes, Holly... there are other ways to burn calories besides abusing your already tender knee/hamstring/tendon, whatever it is. I hope you try biking, but that can be a problem too if you hit too many hills.

I didn't post at all yesterday, and just skimmed the Friday daily. I did run a little at lunchtime, delivering DS1's stuff around campus and got in about 3 miles, mostly easy and some hilly trails. Then last night I was sitting out in the driveway (we don't have a deck or patio), enjoying the sunshine and a glass of wine with the paper, when DH comes home on his motorcycle and parked it very close to my chair. Later I got up and headed into the house, and brushed my leg against the exhaust pipe which was still screamin' hot. Yep, got a nice half-dollar sized sear out of that and it's sore and weeping, a real mess. Bleh. 

The nice thing about this week? I got that longer run in on Tuesday, and ran a little yesterday so already have almost 29 miles for the week. I'll run some today, and try to go long(ish) tomorrow when it's a little cooler.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Jlynne, you asked for help with PF yesterday. I know several here have suffered from it, but the worst case (and best recovery) was Perchcreek. Steve, you ought to send a note to Jlynne about how you recovered from yours.

Already did:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum/Post/de936fe85b064e828957354a4216fdb7#focus

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova