Masters Running

Sunday Runs, Races, etc. (Read 358 times)

Morning all...

A early, easy 8 for me this morning, 1:11:21, before the H&H sets in.

I hope that you all have good days today.

Walt

digging in to last night's pizza

'Morning, guys.

5 miles at 9:53 pace with some effort.  No real knee pain, but maybe a little stiffness setting in after a few miles.  I'll see how the day goes before I plan my next move.

On tap for today: Yardwork, birthday cake baking (and then eating) for dear-old-dad's 92nd.  He was in the hospital last week on the actual day, but he's doing better and is back at the nursing home now.   Hopefully he'll be up to the treat.

Nice ultra Holly!!!  I'm really happy for you.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Walt, and everyone else. Nice running this morning for you....and yesterday! I also got out early to beat the H&H. 7 easy miles - 8:55 ave pace, for another 30 mile weekend...which I love those. I felt better than I thought I would, but tomorrow is when it will catch up to me, and will need a short recovery run. I need to find a different fuel belt, as I lost two more bottles yesterday as I don't hear them fall off....luckily I found a water fountain at 18 miles when I was extremley hot and needed something to drink badly. That water seemed to bring me back to life enough for me to make it home the final 5.5 miles. Hope everyone has a great day whether running, or whatever your plans are for the day. A BIG WTG To Holly and Tammy....you both are Rockstars!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

2 recovery miles for me (ave 10:54) before heading out for my 7:30-9:30 shift as field marshall at DS' last soccer game of the season.  We would have had one more game if they won, but they lost by 2 goals.  He isn't too disappointed, though, since that means we can go to the pool at noon.

Other than the expected stiffness, I feel pretty good today, although I do have that all-over fatigue that comes from having expended a lot of energy.  A good day to take it easy.  So I will. 

Good luck to anyone racing today!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Congratulations on your first ultra, holly!  What an achievement that is.

My run today was a struggle from the start -- not sure why, possibly heat and humidity, although neither was that bad (64-75° and 94-65%, start to finish on both stats).  I had a progression run on the plan, but opted to keep it slow and steady instead.

16.2 miles, 2:28:15, 9:10/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

Where is everybody today?

10 miles slow, 6 miles at MP, 2 miles slow. (that was hard, my legs just wanted to be lazy, but got it done). 18 total on this beautiful day.

Hurray to ultraHolly!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Today was my first PS wave run.  Before injury and heart stuff I was 7:30 for HMP and 8:00 for MP.  Now my MP is 9:05 and my HMP is 8:40.  I was a few seconds faster than those times but not on purpose.  My legs seem to remember old paces but my CV system hasn't yet adapted of course so for my first one I was all over the place. ("I got legs in old paces where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away...")

But the good news is that I did it, and now feel like I have a good training program in place that I can sustain, long run on Sunday with some quality, and a solid track workout on Wednesday.  It has taken me 9 months to get here but as long as I continue to see progress I am very happy with it.

13 total miles and the erratic paces were:

8:53 (MP, s.b. 9:05)

8:52 (MP)

8:56 (MP)

8:38 (HMP, s.b. 8:40)

8:27 (HMP)

Holly if you don't get those results today you will never hear the end of it from me.  And you better have won because I predicted it! 

I am just catching up a small amount here. 

bketm congratulations on your 20+ run the other day.  I am sticking to my low grade virus diagnosis.  It seemed like things dropped off and picked up too fast to just be mood induced.  But then again I am way out here and you are way out there so who knows?    Anyway good to see whatever was the problem not causing it any more.

Mariposai congratulations on pulling that winning lottery ticket!  I have been thinking of picking some numbers tonight, any suggestions? 

Yesterday my DW went off for a 10+ mile run with some of her friends from the running club.  I tell you they are going to get her to do what I never could; run a HM!  I am pretty psyched to think it my yet happen.  Today off she went for another 5 mile run which I figure means she is in pretty good shape to get to 13.1 pretty soon!

As for me . . . alas nothing so exciting.  I did 10 minutes on the elliptical yesterday and today along with 5 minutes of walking backwards on the TM.  How far off can that tunnel be?  Geez!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

PDR and dg, I hope those knees get better quickly.  Walt, nice 5K with 3rd in AG.  Holly, great job on your ultra.  I'm anxious for the RR.  Tammy, way to go on that half with enough more miles to make 20.  mariposai, congratulations on your acceptance for the ING NY marathon.  PDR, happy birthday to your dad.

Nice long runs for buehrle, bike (it sounds like you beat some of your demons - your marathon should go well), perch, fatozzig (with lots of hills), WRFB, and mariposai.

This morning, it was about 50° and there was a little breeze.  I got in 5 miles.  A few times during the run I glanced at my Garmin and saw the pace was under 9:30.  I thought that it would be nice if I could end up 1) with an overall pace less than 9:30 and 2) have every mile be less than 9:30.  During the last mile I tried to speed up just a little and at the end my time was about 46:30 for a 9:19 pace.  I was especially pleased when I checked my mile splits and found 9:23, 9:20, 9:23, 9:23, and 9:02. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

twocat, the light is just around the corner...jut hang in there my friend. I sooo excited about your wife's upcoming HM wow!!!!!!!! Number? what about 45812 ijij

Great going wiseone. That wave run looks terrific. Aren't wave runs the funnest way to fit in some quality into a LR?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nice running and racing in the past few days for many here...Holly and her awesome trail ultra, Tammy's rockin' 20, Walt and Slo_Hand speedy, miles, Tim's 20, Ribs is riding the waves again and doing well, perch is back and too much to name. I've been scarce, but plugging away. Ran 18.3 miles today including  a 21:55 5k---7:04 pace (ran 4 miles to a friend's house, we ran to the race together--2nd woman overall and first in my age group and then I ran home for a total of 18) Tired, but feeling fine. Off to super granny's apt. and then on the road for a week starting tomorrow.

Track meet on TV (Prefontaine classic) soon!

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly if you don't get those results today you will never hear the end of it from me.  And you better have won because I predicted it! 

Sorry to disappoint, but I was a mid-packer all the way....  Some impressive folks out there though.  The old course record was shattered by no less than 3 tough and fast wimmin....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Even a quick skim of the daily shows nice runs from lots of folks this weekend...Roch's 5K, Walt's race, Holly's 1st ultra, 20's for Tammy and Timmy, Leslie's 18+, Ribs' wave, CNY's 18/5K sandwich....etc.  Wow!  Some  impressive running.

For me, a 16.5 mile Hillypalooza tour.  Felt that one.

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP

I'm all dressed up with no place to go. A line of thunder storms reaching from WI accross lake Michgan and through my yard ticked me off. I let the dog out and went to put my windows up. He grabbed The Evil White Thing's  Angel's leash and ran to the truck with it an waited at the door. Poor guy.

SteveP

My heart is breaking today.

My newly grown DS (21 last Friday) left last night for L.A. starting an Internship tomorrow and he is freaked out.  No friends, no family, no girlfriend, doesn't know anyone and is basically scared and very nervous.  Homesick and missing a support structure.  (He's a follower much like his father.)  I'm hoping he can hang in there for a week or so as I'm sure everything will work itself out, but we'll see.

Keep him in your thoughts and prayers please.

Sad Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong