Masters Running

Help me find a half in New England (Read 251 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all.

I’ve known for a while that I won’t be able to run in the Westfield half that I had originally planned next weekend.  It’s very difficult to squeeze a 12 week training schedule into 11 weeks as it is and losing 2 weeks due to sore foot and shin makes it even worse.  I’d like to have my first major race to not be a likely death march when the longest run I’ve managed is only about 6 miles.  So I’m resetting the training schedule and am looking at a half sometime in June.  I’ve found a few around New England and would appreciate any feedback that you folks can offer.  Any other suggestions that aren’t listed would also be welcomed.  I would prefer not to go too much more than a couple of hours from Boston (which I think is the case with this list)

Old Sandwich Road race—Plymouth, MA  6-6-10

Iron Horse—Simsbury, CT  6-6-10

Worcester—Worcester, MA  6-13-10

Rail Trail—Augusta, ME  6-26-10

13.1 Boston—Canton, MA  6-27-10

Thanks in advance for any information or recommendations.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey Kevin---Sorry I won't see on 3/28 in Westfield, but maybe next year?

My vote is for the Iron Horse half-marathon (also have a 10k and 5k). Good course, nice folks, and well done. It can be hot then, but you'll risk that for any you mentioned. 

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Can't help much, since the only one of those halfs that I have done is the Simsbury one.  CNYrunner nailed the description exactly.  The PBJ family enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was really hot the year I ran it.
        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

thanks for the info guys. I'll look a little further into the Iron Horse. 

Karen, I sure hope to be able to do the Westfield one of these years.  My BIL is one of the corporate sponsors and they gave me a really nice tech shirt last year--so I need to run it at least once so I can wear it legitimately

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey Kevin---Westfield is just down the road from me, so I am sure we'll see each other there one of these years. Wear that shirt with pride---good race advertising (although I like the race's low key environment and small size). I'll probably do the Memorial Day half-marathon in the Berkshires (start and finish at Tanglewood).

http://www.memorialdaymarathon.com/index.html

If so, then no half at Iron Horse, but maybe the 10k there. Have to survive April 19 first.

Karin