Masters Running

Mondaily, 6.11.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    C-R (run with friends in a thunderstorm, and with a calf tweak)
    Holly (I0 miles in tmps in the low 70s and painting cross-training)
    RunnerKSA (3.2 miles in heavy humidity)
    Tomwhite (65 min of cycling hills + 30 min on the elliptical)
    Dave59 (6 min core workout + 4.1 morning miles on rolling hills in H&H)
    Quickadder (7.5 morning trail miles in H&H and a thunderstorm and new shoes)
    Stumpy (4.01 miles, breaking the “3” cycle)
    Pfriese (11.2 muggy morning miles)
    Falconfixer (22 morning bike miles with coffee stop)
    Mariposai (4 running miles + 14 bike miles)
    Evanflein (12.4 miles with tailwind and spitting rain on the way back)

Would you all quit passing thunderstorms around??

Take care of that calf before it becomes a real issue, Norm.

Money is money, Fatozzig, and it all adds up, regardless of where it comes from. How’d you make out with the popcorn?

Pfriese - sometimes my monthly total is less than what you did last week!

Watching a replay of Saturday's Belmont Stakes and Justify's Triple Crown victory reminded me of one of the most jaw-dropping races I ever saw, which was when Secretariat won the Belmont by 30-something lengths.

I worked at the 5K racewallking championships yesterday, and the level of the competition was amazing. The winner of the men’s race finished in 21:36, and the woman’s winner finished in 22:22. She was going for a national record, but there was no one even close to push her, and she didn’t quite make it. A Canadian racer set a Canadian M55 AG record in 25:24. 4 men were DQ’d for serious rule infractions. No women were DQ’d. I know you think I’m a dork, but I don’t often get to see racewalkers of this caliber up close, and it was pretty cool.

Speaking of speed, I don't know where mine has gone, but I sure don't feel like I have any lately. I tried to push this morning's 6.2 mile RW workout, and there was no get up and go to be had. I've clearly got some work to do.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Speed is hard to hold onto as we age, unfortunately.    Paul- incredible mileage!

Late night baseball game, although we left before the 9th inning.  It started 2 hours late due to a weather delay (lightening 8 miles away) which forced many of the spectators into the practice gym in the basketball arena.  The cool thing about that was that we got to see our new 5 star freshmen hanging around.  I got some pictures, but no selfies.   They got taken out of there pretty quickly as soon as the coaches figured out there was a crowd of people in there.  Don't want to risk any twisted ankles or anything.

Anyway, I just can't do late nights.  The game ended in a heartbreaking way for Vanderbilt, so there will be no trip to the World Series.  I'm exhausted.

3 miles to start the day and now getting all the animals squared away before heading to the office.  2.1 treadmill miles after work.  5.1 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Some great racing over the weekend...AG wins for both Mike and Carolyn!  Congrats.

And crazy mileage from Paul!

5 in drizzling rain this morning.

Washington DC is still grinning ear-to-ear as the endless Caps party snakes its way through town. Players are popping up in random places with the Cup in tow and taking pictures with fans. That includes a Georgetown water fountain where Ovechkin got props from a pretty good swimmer.

They're athletes, though, so they know the importance of staying hydrated.

The parade is Tuesday. THAT should be interesting.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Seems like hockey players are mostly down to earth regular people. That is one more thing that makes hockey enjoyable for me.

I did my core workout and 4 miles again.

It's our 35th anniversary today. We don't do gifts, but I picked up a card, flowers, and Jelly Belly candy to show I didn't forget. Hallmark cards are the worst. Who talks like that? It took a while to find one that I was comfortable with. I didn't see any cards for 35 years so I considered getting 25 year and 10 year cards but then changed my mind and stayed with one normal card.  (I wonder if Wild does anything special on anniversaries that are prime numbers?)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yeah, and I love the tradition that each player on the winning team get to have the Cup for a day to do whatever with it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...my thanks to Falconfixer, WD-40-ing the brakes wouldn't be good

I'm just trying to keep things from rusting

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

I think these celebrations typically take place behind closed doors. But this time, the Caps have taken it very public; literally walking around on the street, dropping in unannounced to restaurants and bars.  And now with smartphones and social media everywhere it's a bit of a "Where's Waldo?" kind of game to track the Cup through the city each day.  I don't know if its sustainable (I suspect some NHL folks are having anxiety attacks) but it's pretty epic. 

ETA: I messed up my children's cartoon metaphor.  More like, "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?"

And the endless memes have me LOL.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

I didn't post over the weekend but got in 3 on saturday and 7 yesterday. Today is our last "cool" day of the week, then it heats up to upper 80's and 90's. So I'll enjoy the coolness (70's) that I like so much and probably get in a run at some point this evening.

Tammy

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Cool would be nice.  6 miles today at 75 degrees and all the humidity.

Bill Wagnon / stl

Henrun

Cool day here. Did 2.2 miles along the upper Charles River.

Enjoy the parade Tramps. We had fun at the Bruins parade. I remember hoisting a Stanley Cup replica.

Last  night we attended a free outdoor concert by the Poynter Sisters at Copley Square (just beyond the marathon finish line). A packed audience although there was little advance publicity.

wildchild

Carolyn

5.5 miles on the dirt neighborhood roads.  Feeling antsy heading into taper week for the Bighorn 32 mile trail race on Saturday!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

It's our 35th anniversary today. We don't do gifts, but I picked up a card, flowers, and Jelly Belly candy to show I didn't forget. Hallmark cards are the worst. Who talks like that?

I keep looking for a card that says, "Hey!  I'm still here, aren't I?"     Happy Anniversary!

No run for me today, but a light weights and core workout.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

35 years. That's awesome. Congrats.

Love the Stanley Cup celebrations. Hockey players seem more grounded than some of our other sports. Well except running.

Got on the treadmill for 1.5 really slow miles to see if my massage work was helping. Seems like it. Nice and easy right.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, got up early enough for a 3.5 mile run.  My "across the breezeway" neighbor (and fellow group commander) was coming out at the same time so we ran together.  Wasn't quick, but I also didn't wear a knee brace.  Another 2 miles after work....dodging raindrops and lightning (actually been caught in worse).

Coastwalker, those are some impressive times!

Dave59, Happy Anniversary!

Question for the group.  A friend and former co-worker of mine has undergone an amazing transformation the last few years.  He has lost a lot of weight and become a runner.  Lately he's having what he thinks is an IT band issue.  He knows he is inflexible and should stretch more.  Pain is on the outside of the left knee.  No certain amount of running causes the pain.  Sometimes 1 mile into the run, sometimes 3.  When it happens he stops running, walks, and the pain stops almost instantly.  He's had runs where the pain never comes.  He's tried stretching, resting, ice etc.  Seems to come and go.  His friends recommend stretching (not sure which).  I've been lucky wrt the ITB, so I have nothing to offer.  Wondering if anyone has alternative treatment(s) or even an alternative theory on the source of the pain.  Thanks.

Have a great night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I wish I could help you falc (is okay to call you, "falc") but I don't even know how to treat my own injuries, most of the time.  I usually just keep running and hope they go away.

No run, today, but I did lift some weights for about 34 minutes.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!