Masters Running

Rotating pairs of shoes? (Read 342 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I don't go through shoes as quickly as most here do, so not a lot of experience on have multiple pairs in action at once. I've been using the Brooks GTS7's and when they got updated to the 8's I go two pair on clearance. right now, I've put just over 100 miles on the first of the two pairs. is there any benefit to rotating the two pairs, or should I just use up the first and then start on the second? keep in mind that it may take me over 6 months to kill a pair. any suggestions welcomed. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rotate them. I have 3 active pairs, with about 100 miles per apart - 50 on my newest, 150ish of the next pair, and 250ish on the oldest. At about 350 I retire that pair and buy a new one to replace it. On it goes. Studies have shown that 2 pairs rotated last longer than 3 pairs used consecutively. The midsoles compress when you run and grotating them give the midsoles a chance to re-expand. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Me

Ummm, that's exactly what I was going to say. Mike
        Tramps

Yup, rotate. I only do two pairs at a time and I'm good for 400 miles, so I start a new pair when the older pair hits 200. In the summer this let's each pair dry out thoroughly, too. Also, I save the newer pair for long runs and any speedwork to ensure maximum cushioning. I don't know if that's necessary but it works for me.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

I rotate through eight pairs right now. There is another reason in addition to the chance for the shoes to dry out and regain their shape. I use different brands of shoes: Brooks, Asics, Nike, Saucony because every brand of shoe has a different type of last. And running in different lasts alters the way your feet do work for you. The elimination of redundant work helps avoid injury. I buy all shoes by color, irrespective of the brand, so it makes it easy to buy many different brands. Spareribs

Renee the dog

I have found myself drawn to the Spareribs model for the same reasoning. I have about 4 pair going right now (well actually 3 with 1 on deck and simpering each day I don't pick it), plus I rotate in some short barefoot runs as well. Though I don't pick by color, I generally try to get the most obnoxious color that will not match anything I will ever wear. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Top 'O the World!

Sounds like you're encouraging more shoe purchases! My DH is gonnn LOVE that!! Evil grin Big grin seriously, I rotate 2-4...depending
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks, all. Looks like rotating wins in a landslide! Now I just need to figure out how to keep several pairs that look alike as separate couples. I'm thinking different color laces. I think I have a lot more miles (and shoes!)to go before I catch up with Spareribs Smile And I also think I'm a lot closer to Nono in fashion sense than 'Ribs, too. Big grin Kevin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I rotate usually and now retire them at 400 miles (still experimenting). Asics 2120, 2130... For some reason the 2130 wear down faster than than the 2120 based on tread wear. Time to dry in the summer is a good point by Tramps.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

... Now I just need to figure out how to keep several pairs that look alike as separate couples...
                      You could mark them with a permanent marker (I do that with socks.)

Marathon Maniac #957

You could mark them with a permanent marker (I do that with socks.)
                        That's what I do, if the shoes are the same color, I mark the date that I start wearing the shoe on the inside of both.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I keep my shoes lined up in the closet in the same order from oldest on the left to newest on the right. Retired shoes that I knock around in go on the right side of a pair of sandals. I'm kinda OCD about where the shoes get closeted. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Me. too. I have to have all my shoes in a neat pile in the corner by my dresser. Wink