Masters Running

Monday, 2.6.17 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
    Marj (5 to the beach with drawbridges cooperating)
    Holly (6 recovery miles in 33F degrees)
    Twocat (time on the elliptical while DW lunches in the city)
    Catwhoorg (16.5 with no marathon in sight)
    Rochrunner (6 around the lake with a friend dictating the run/walk pace and a ketchup with Perchcreek)
    Tramps (13 miles on the rail trail in prep for upcoming half)
    C-R (7 mile Groundhog race with club friends in 45F sunny temps)
    Mike (6 pre-church miles in prep for The Game)
    Spacityrunner (easy 5K in unpredicted weather on tired legs)
    TW (40 min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw)
    Dave (Tallahassee Half with lots of hillage for a PW [only by 2 min], but still a good ‘reward’ race)
    Evanflein (7.1 during the game, with a return of heel pain)
    Mariposai (12 miles before the nasty weather got worse)

Marj, thanks for the ketchup about Aamos. I hope she heals up and comes back soon. She is clearly missed.

Good job of volunteering at the Frosty Five, Holly. Sorry about the spilled water, but everything else seems to have gone well. Sorry also about DD’s unintended feeding of Daisy. I also hope it’ll pass…

Twocat, I opted not to call at Jay o’clock to make sure you were awake on time this morning. You’re welcome.

Rochrunner, it’s good to have a race to target, and Back To The Beach sounds like a good one, even if hilly. Nice photo of not your twin.

I hope you got some good new running kicks for the kiddo, C-R.

Yea, I don’t think I’m ready for back surgery, TW. Best wishes to Pickles’ sis.

Good return to racing in Tallahassee, Dave!

I got 3 of the 4 nuts off the bolts so I could change the skids on my snowblower before tomorrow's stahm. Of course, the 4th would not come off, no matter what I did or which tools I used. I finally gave up, but today I'm going to try to just cut it off. That little devil...

When I went to sleep last night (not really into The Game), the Pats were way behind. So I sure was surprised to find out this morning that they won in OT. There'll be a lot of folks in New England getting to work a little late today.

We're going to hear the Postmodern Jukebox at the Portsmouth Music Hall tonight, so I may be tempted to sleep in a bit tomorrow.

4.9 easy miles this morning in 28F temps with lotsa wind from the SW. Looks like snow tomorrow, changing to sleet and then rain. Won't that be fun?

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Yes, that was quite the finish to the Super Bowl. Gotta hand it to the Patriots. They can always figure out how to win. Thanks for the weekend recap Jay, and sorry to hear about your stubborn snow blower bolts. And - the upcoming storm!

DH and I spent the weekend in Chicago. We drove down to Milwaukee, then took Amtrak into Chicago and Uber'd everywhere that wasn't within walking distance. A lot more relaxing than getting stuck in rush hour traffic! There were some great exhibits at the Field Museum. We also went to the art museum, walked up and down the "Miracle Mile" and went to a Second City show.  We had such a hard time finding some good restaurants for dinner each evening

Back to reality this morning, feeling the guilt of all the great food and cocktails consumed over the weekend. 5.2 miles in 18° and my heel is "on ice" before I head back to work in a little bit. Hey Erika - when you figure out what's wrong with your heel, tell me if it's the same as what's going on with mine. I thought a weekend off would help.  Not so much...

Tramps

Nice running, pool running, and volunteering yesterday.  Well done, folks.

Dave--nice job on what sounds like a tough half.

Erika--hope the heel's feeling better today.

Jay--I've seen/heard some of PMJ's videos online.  Interesting stuff.  Enjoy.

Jlynne--that sounds like a wonderful weekend.

Superbowl was quite a ride.

• Commercials?  Meh.
        • Madonna circa 1990's and the over-caffeinated dancers?  Meh.
        • Brady and the Pats?  From awful to awesome.  They'll never top this one.

How many times will coaches invoke this game when trying to get a team to rally?

EZ 6 on tired legs.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

How many times will coaches invoke this game when trying to get a team to rally?

No doubt!

Well, Daisy has survived her latest eating escapade, thankfully, although she peed on the sofa yesterday, and I nearly killed her for that!

Erika - have you seen that Phoenix is getting temps in the 70's and 80's?  That will be quite an adjustment....

No run for me today, just swimming, 44 times across the pool (1100 yards).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Hey all.

Nice recap Jay. I'm assuming you soaked that nut in WD40? A trick I use for nuts is to use copious amounts of petroleum jelly on the threads prior to assembly. Makes a water tight seal and easier to remove.

Jlynne - love Chicago museums. Envious.

Holly - we watched the Dory movie so all I can say is Just Keep Swimming. .......

4.5 recovery miles today.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

Hi All!

No running for me today. Did 8 on Saturday and 2 yesterday. it'll be dark by the time i get home tonight.

Superbowl didn't end as I would have liked, but it was an exciting game to watch for sure (well for those that like watching football I suppose).

got some depressing news over the weekend from my mom: my maternal grandmother (94), who recently fell and had to have hip replacement surgery is going to be kept in nursing home a bit longer for rehab. She still lives independently, so I know this is for the best though. Takes longer to heal at 94!  (I'll be going back to MN in July to see her).

Then we got the news that my paternal grandmother (step grandma, 84 yrs old) has leukemia. I don't know much about leukemia but I guess at her age, there is nothing to be done about it. just live with it.

Then my mom told me that my dad (70) has a mass on his bladder and a nodule on his lung, going for more testing this week to determine what it is. His dad died of bladder cancer, so needless to say, he's concerned and worried.

DH gets results back tomorrow from a biospy of part of his scalp that they sliced off a few weeks ago. Hoping that his medical news will be good and it was nothing to be concerned about.

gotta get back to work! Later friends!

Tammy

...howdy......

storms pushing thru, 50s and windy

30-min HH on GreenWay

couldn't

get in the pool due to thunder, so will try tomorrow

............good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

not just football but sounds like a weekend

we could have done without.

<<<(tammy's dad-and-grandmothers)>>>>

However, I guess misery loves company

as the Seattle Seahawks are no longer

alone in having made the stupidest pass

play call in the history of football, thereby

costing Superbowl XLIX to whom else

but the team whose name we don't say

but wish we could be.

Five-to-six inches of snow have pretty much

closed down Seattle for the day. Excellent

x-training in making two Frosty-the-Snowmans

for the yard, even having neighbors stopping

to snap photos.  Bald eagles are almost

nuisances up in GS land but sure looked

regal and proud on a snowy limb

overlooking the lake this morning.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tammy, sorry to hear of all those medical issues in your loved ones.  Hoping for the best.

Snow day today!

Tet - we got 8 inches out here!

Did some toboganning down our little hill.  My teenagers came out.  Funny, all the kids came out who live on this cul-de-sac, some I didn't know existed.  My son asked, "how did all these kids know about our hill".  I said, "they live here!".  Not like when I was a kid, and everyone knew everyone else, and the kids would play outside all day long in the summer, and roam freely.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

3 miles along the beach road this morning followed by a short swim in our rooftop pool after lunch and a hot tub. I think  I could grow accustomed to this lifestyle ☀️😎. On Wednesday we head to Miami for another week in the sun.

{{{Tammy and family}}}  Dang, girl, that's a load of news for the weekend . . . . PS - Mike's avatar pic has bright yellow in it and I keep thinking I'm reading his posts when I'm reading yours.  Saw "DH gets results back tomorrow . . ." and my brain went, "DH - Wha???"

Jay - Just bang on it over and over.  That should do the trick. 

JLynne - Your weekend sounds fun.

Had a very wet trail run at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park Saturday and had to climb over two significant blow downs, going out and coming back.  The legs were not impressed on the return.  The ground is so wet, and with fierce winds, trees are going down left and right.  Yesterday there was another big tree that went down across the roadway to the state park.  Thankfully, it's north of the park headquarters and you can still get to the majority of the trails.  BTW - Enke, I saw your doppleganger out there.  I swear, she could've passed for your twin.

On the drive up to the run, there was a large herd of elk on the side of the road, and at park headquarters, three big bulls were munching away not 20 feet from the car.  They couldn't have cared less about us . . . .so long as we stay in the car. 

Well, I went and signed up for my first 100-miler, Mountain Lakes 100  I've been doing a lot of butt-clenching ever since I hit the "Send" button this morning . . . .

Have a great week, friends ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
                          Marj (5 to the beach with drawbridges cooperating)
                          Holly (6 recovery miles in 33F degrees)
                          Twocat (time on the elliptical while DW lunches in the city)
                          Catwhoorg (16.5 with no marathon in sight)
                          Rochrunner (6 around the lake with a friend dictating the run/walk pace and a ketchup with Perchcreek)
                          Tramps (13 miles on the rail trail in prep for upcoming half)
                          C-R (7 mile Groundhog race with club friends in 45F sunny temps)
                          Mike (6 pre-church miles in prep for The Game)
                          Spacityrunner (easy 5K in unpredicted weather on tired legs)
                          TW (40 min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw)
                          Dave (Tallahassee Half with lots of hillage for a PW [only by 2 min], but still a good ‘reward’ race)
                          Evanflein (7.1 during the game, with a return of heel pain)
                          Mariposai (12 miles before the nasty weather got worse)

And...coastwalker (8.1 Tour De CulDeSacs, still achy back miles)

Wow, Tammy--that is a lot to be dealing with all at one time.  I hope all will turn out okay.

I did a speed workout, tonight...it stunk!  5 x 1000's with 400 recovery between each...they all stunk!  I could give you all the excuses I came up with because, believe me, I was telling myself all the reasons I was stinking, but I will spare you all because every one of those dang excuses just stink!  Anyway--with warm up and cool down, I did 8 stinkin' miles.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

catwhoorg

Labrat

6 at lunchtime in a light rain, then doubled after work with 6.5 in the damp, but with no active rain.

Next few days I am going to struggle to get workouts in (hence the double today).

Tomorrow/Wednesday regional meeting all day including a working lunch. As it involves sales it starts late and ends late (I mean 8am  start? Half the fricken day is gone by then)

Thursday the baby has his 4 month check-up, then we drive to Parris Island.

Friday my nephew graduates basic training and is officially a marine. Then we drive home.

I think Thursday morning (before the docs) is my next solid window. Everything else is iffy.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

flats

turtle runner eximious

Why is it I feel fine all day long, but when I get to the gym I feel 'off'. I had some form of heartburn as I drove to the gym. I get to the gym and I honestly thought about skipping my run. I started off slow, but the heartburn didn't go away until I finished my run. I am glad I didn't throw in the towel, it ended up being a great run.

10k for me.

Michael

evanflein

Tammy, that's a LOT to deal with all at once. Hope your dad is ok, that's a bad cycle to repeat. Leukemia at her age? I think the treatment would possibly be worse than the illness....

Catwhoorg, anyone who says the day is half gone at 8 am has me scratching my head. That would have your day starting before the previous midnight? 

Mike, they can't all be good runs. But still, you got out there and did it. But I'd also bet most of us would've been delighted with your stinky run.

I was watching the temperatures today and it seemed like it got warmer than expected and the sun was shining. But I got bogged down in some work stuff and didn't get out till after 4 pm. Our sunset is just before 5, so didn't have much time before it got dark (and colder!). Got in 5.4 miles that felt pretty good, but I was surprised later to see how slow they were. Oh well, call it an "easy" pace run at a little harder than easy effort.