Masters Running

Ask Spareribs---On Injuries (Read 446 times)

King of PhotoShop

I don't post all the "Ask Spareribs" columns that I write for my club newsletter, but I thought you might enjoy this one because it deals with a subject familiar to us all. Do any of you see yourselves in here? Dear Spareribs: I’ve seldom had injuries, but this past week I’m bothered by a sharp pain in the back of my right upper leg where it joins the hip. It has shortened my stride considerably and is painful during and after my runs. I’m thinking of going to a sports medicine doctor. What do you think? Ken M. in Flower Mound Dear Ken: Call a doctor? Are you kidding me? What kind of runner are you? Real runners don’t go to the doctor before first implementing the “90-day Injured Runner Rule.” This rule states that as soon as a big injury asserts itself you must spend the first 90 days doing stupid and useless things. Only after you have gone through that process may you even think of calling a doctor. Now here’s what you do for the next 90 days: 1. For the first 30 days, continue to run on the injury hoping it will go away, but tell all your friends, even those who don’t run, all about the injury, then tell them again. On an 8-miler at the Club, tell the group you are running with every detail, how it hurts, where it hurts, when it hurts, that sort of thing. Ask them if they’ve had this injury, how it was diagnosed and what they did about it. If any of them suggest going to the doctor, stop talking to them and find someone else. At the 4-mile turnaround, you will certainly be with a different group (duh!) and you must go through it again. Leave no one out! Back at the Clubhouse, look for others you haven’t talked to about your injury and tell them. You’ll be amazed to find that people are dying to hear about your injury and have great advice. I know when I go to the Club I am always hoping someone will come up to me and talk about his injury. I’ve gotten speeding tickets on my way to the Club because I love it so much. 2. For the next 30 days go on the internet to learn about your injury, but don’t stop running! (If you were to stop running you might heal and then you would look foolish.) So mess around on the internet with all your injured friends. You can always spot them. They used to complain of having a sore butt. Now they have a subluxation of the anterior psoas bursa of the Fallopian Tube. While you’re on the internet, order some gadgets, supplements and ointments. For example, the Stick, one of the most important healing devices used in the New Testament, will almost immediately heal torn muscles or fractured femurs. And remember, you don’t just apply Bio-Freeze, you wear it! Slather it on liberally until dogs in other towns bark at night. There’s a woman in our Club who can empty the Clubhouse with one application. 3. Stretch for 30 days. If you have never stretched before then it must be how you got injured, so stretch with wild abandon, especially the sorest part of the muscle. For your injury Ken, you know you can’t extend that leg out in front of you right? That’s because the sore area of the muscle is too tight and won’t allow you to RUN! Attack that muscle with a series of violent stretches. Likewise, make sure to go to a massage therapist who uses the point of his elbow on the sore area. Find out which of the local massagers are best at making people cry and use only them. If after this the injury hasn’t healed, then I suppose you may call the doctor, but it’s generally a bad idea. Good luck anyway. Spareribs
    TammyinGP

"subluxation of the anterior psoas bursa of the Fallopian Tube." hey! I had that once, but didn't tell anyone about it. I thought they'd make fun of me. Great column Ribs - I love it when you post these!

Tammy

Henrun

Ribs, LOL. Even running doctors don't go to doctors until their injury manifests itself after, say, a marathon. Of course, I speak from personal experience. Once I saw a doctor I stopped getting hugs on the running sitesSad. Keep up the 'good' advice.Clowning around.
          Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Ribs, you really had me going for awhile there. I then thought about it for an hour or so and I think I have found some flaws in your theory that lead me to believe this may be tongue in cheek. The evidence: Runners seldom if ever get injured. Oh sure there might be a tweak or sharp pain here or there, but that is not an injury. That is why they aren't going to the doctor. If it is diagnosed by a professional then it is an injury, otherwise I am just overcoming adversity. "injured runners" tell everyone about their "injury". Again, false. I have never heard anyone complain, nor seen anyone post about these so called injuries. I don't know what kind of bed wetters you hang out with, but nobody ever complains about the weather, their garmin, their spouse not helping around the house, much less about a phantom injury. They look up information about their symptoms on the internet. Nice try. I googled running noninjuries with inconvenient pain and do you know what I came up with? Zilch. But the true giveaway...subluxation of the anterior psoas bursa of the Fallopian Tube. Everyone knows that you can only sublux the posterior psoas bursa of the Fallopian Tube. Please keep your eyes on this man, There is no telling what he will try to get us with next.

#artbydmcbride

Thank you soo much Craneium! I was slightly suspicious, but until you spelled out the clear discrepancies...well!.....Big grin Cool ((Craneium's occasional running non-injury)))

Runners run

I just about spit coffee all over my screen. My boss' came wandering out of their offices wondering what the hell I was snorting at.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Me too, Leslie... This is rich. My cubby neighbors all think I've lost it... Thanks, Ribs (and Craneium!), what a riot. Big grin
                  Tramps

That's quite a lulu there. Smile Speaking of Lulu...have you ever thought of collecting these into a little "Ask Spareribs" volume? It would make a great gift.

Be safe. Be kind.

LOL Smile Keep this around! Send it to Runners World, or such. Love it! Woods Lady, aka MaEcono.

Marathon Maniac #957

Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I'm retiring. With Craneium around, how is a guy going to get any laughs? That post was excellent. You know, when I posted my April miles, I was astonished at how many people posted fewer miles because of injuries. If you go back and look at the April miles post here and on KR you will see the same thing. Incidentally, much of this material that you guys think is funny, comes directly from things that people post here. A few years ago there was a guy who was injured back in the CR days. Each day he would be on the forum with a new idea for his injury. I posted once that his best bet was simply to go see a sport medicine doc. He replied that it wasn't covered by his insurance! This went on and on and he never got better. I swore he was doing it just to upset me! Spareribs
                            Cool

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

"older but not dead yet"

Your sarcasm, sorry to say, carries a heavy dosage of truth with it. Are we hesitant to admit that the addictive nature of running (for some of us) expresses itself in both psychologically self-deprecating behavior, Ex. "I feel lesser of a person if I can't run." "I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if I can't workout?" and/or physiologically negative behavior like running through pain, refusal to acknowledge pain or using drugs which can mask pain. Back in the 70's and 80's, books were published about "positive addiction" - running being one of them. But sad to say, over the years, this addiction is still an addiction. A behavior that describes an obsession, compulsion or excessive psychological dependence that usually interferes with our normal functioning. I'm relatively new to this forum and I've seen way too many injuries and unhealthy states of health that either reflects our "maturity" or lack thereof? Smile Maybe some of us are seeking a renaissance of youth gone by, or some of us haven't done any or slightly any cross-training that allows us to protect our musculoskeletal systems, or we have genetic weaknesses that we insist on working through. Whatever happened to temperance and moderation in all things? Don't ask me. I don't know. I used to be in this very same place I'm writing about. This is just a reflection from a newcomer who likes his new friends and wishes only the best for them. Live long, prosper and run til you drop! Smile Alex (quite possibly another old curmudgeon?)
                              Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
                                I would buy the Ask Spareribs collection, it would make for great reading.