Masters Running

Monday, 2.13.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s excellent workouts:
    Twocat (1 hr. on the elliptical)
    C-R (4 recovery miles in the questionable Newtons)
    Mariposai (skiing and swimming in Red Mountain, Canada)
    Holly (3 recover miles following Saturday’s 16.4 mile long run with February gnats)
    Steve (10.3 miles in Gulf air with steaming shoulders)
    BerthaSlayer (16 hard miles with no rain but name-calling puddles)
    Tet (‘mute with goslings along the lakeside shoreline)
    Catwhoorg (13.2 mile without the kids)
    Fatozzig (painful walk with the Hub [not his fault] at the Acarta Marsh wastewater treatment plant)
    Tramps (15 EZ pace but not EZ miles in 50F temps)
    Marj (swimming and walking and no running)
    Spacityrunner (3.2 knarly trail miles, including a big ass hill on a stunning summer day)
    Evanflein (pool running PR for 1 hr and 6 [yep, count ‘em] minutes, including 18 minutes with jumping, splashing boys)
    Spinach (3rd place in a 10K on Saturday!)
    Stumpy (3.75 miles in the snow with reasonable footing)
    Enke (short run with the back back to normal, in 49F, sunny, windless weather)
    Mike (6 miles to top off a 48-mi. week)

I haven’t tried this, but here (http://bestrecipebox.com/recipes/cauliflower-fried-rice/) is a recipe for cauliflower fried rice.

I’m glad you’re having a good time north of the border, Mariposai. Good of you to spend pool time with your non-skiing friend.

Hardly fuddy-duddies, Holly, not with all you do!

Tough loss for the GD’s basketball team, Mike. You would think the coach would be more careful, especially in the finals.

There were a lot more people at the sports expo than I expected yesterday afternoon, what with it snowing and all. But it was a good crowd, and even Bill Rodgers was there to speak to the crowd (and to sell his book). We had a lot of people stop by our table to learn about our road race series, so it was good to have been there.

No workout yet today: As best I can tell so far, we got at least 8-9” of new snow last night, and it’s pretty dang windy out there. So I figured I’d wait till later for my workout so I can see better where I am going. The snow is done, but the winds are supposed to stay in the 25 mph range all day. So I expect the snow I am about to go out to clear off the driveway and walks will be blowing back about 5 minutes after I’m done.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Spinach--Wow. Speedy 10k!  Congrats on the placement.

Mike--Coaching error?  Bummer for the kids.

No snow here but plenty of howling wind.  I thought the wind chill would be worse than it was and I was overdressed for a 5 miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

The weather here today was beautiful for my 2 mile recovery run.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Henrun

Another 3 miles of walking and jogging as our southern vacation winds down. It was interrupted briefly while a bridge raised to let a boat pass through. I don't know if it's the climate that makes people so friendly here. As I finished I was passed by a gentleman in his 60's (I guess) who was proud of his mile pace. We talked briefly. He is a Brazilian who has a condo here and is off to Aspen next week for skiing. Maybe it's the wealth that brings out that friendliness.

evanflein

Could be, Henry, or the stage in life? Combination of the two where life isn't such a daily struggle? Have fun, the FB pics are wonderful.

Lori, Wow! Very nice view.

Tramps and Jay, I don't know, that wind would keep me inside.

Not sure what I'll do today, other than a pool run at lunch. Oh, well besides going to work, of course. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

{{{Steve's dad}}}

Catwhoorg - separating the DW so she doesn't get the kids sick - usually it's the other way around...

Mike - how frustrating!

BerthaS - nice picture!

No run for me today, just swimming, 44 times across the pool (1100 yards).

Two weeks until March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice pic!

Your Nor-Easterners, hang in there.

East of by about 4 hrs, there are issues with the Oroville dam.  Almost 200,000 people had to evacuate in the last 36 hrs.  The main spillway has significant damage due to the amount of water that has had to be released, and they had to stop using the emergency spillway because it was on the verge of collapse.  First time in the history of the dam that the emergency spillway was used.  Guess now they know it's not good for emergencies.   NorCal is expected to get more rain for a week beginning Wednesday.  I'm guessing the dam powers that be are sweating bullets.  Praying nothing happens and all are safe.

It's official - I can barely sit.  I feel like someone is sticking a red hot knife in my butt in a very specific location.  I've been icing and ibu-ing but getting no relief.  I won't be working out this week in an effort to get things to calm down before the race this weekend.  We'll see how it goes, but I'm not going to push things and I may just end up being a happy volunteer. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

no running for me today which is a shame because it's pretty nice out. but legs a little sore and I'm busy today anyways so just can't find the time to squeeze in a run.

Tammy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Usual 6 at lunchtime.

Legs never really warmed up, so the whole run felt like the first mile usually does.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

C-R

Nice pic Bertha. Don't look like Cuba to me. ;-)

Dang jay. That's some weather.

That's tough Mike. Personal story. I've coached my kids sports for years. I'm a soccer guy so that one I know but I coached my DD volleyball team when she was in 5th grade. Just rec. But I goofed not knowing the rules and they lost a game. Still bothers me to this day.

Sorry Leslie. Get better.

Holly - swimming when our weather in these parts is soooo nice. Now that's discipline. Well done.

Enjoy the last days of vaca hen and marj

Nice little 5 miler at lunch. Getting healthier. Feels good.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

Please, no cauliflower talk here.   My wife is doing a low carb thing and everyday it seems like there is something made with cauliflower.  I don't like it all that much so I just do my own thing.  Cauliflower is not a good substitute for mashed potatoes. And that's just a fact, jack.

I'm still in post race drift mode.  No workout today.  I had a physical this morning but the lab didn't send the blood test results to the doctor so it was kind of a waste of time. The main reason for the visit was to see if the change in my cholesterol medicine was having the desired effect.

Since the blood test was part of (an invasive) workplace screening it wasn't associated with my doctor's offices.  They assured me they would fax the results to my doctor on Friday of last week. The doctor seemed frustrated with me for not following up and making sure the results were sent. I still can't find anyone who can get me the results so I guess it wouldn't have mattered what I tried to do.

When I was filling out the (invasive) health survey I was sorely tempted to answer all the questions on anxiety, stress, and depression with the most extreme choices to see what they would do.  Now I wish I would have done that so I could mess with them for not following through on what they promised to me.

SteveP

No workout yet today: As best I can tell so far, we got at least 8-9” of new snow last night, and it’s pretty dang windy out there. So I figured I’d wait till later for my workout so I can see better where I am going. The snow is done, but the winds are supposed to stay in the 25 mph range all day. So I expect the snow I am about to go out to clear off the driveway and walks will be blowing back about 5 minutes after I’m done.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

You're making me the opposite of homesick.

Henrun, it may be the nonverbal signs. I've done a share of wandering around. Saturday I saw my first In a series of painted rocks at a waterfront park. Then a few others from between there and the next park over. Total strangers were talking about them and we've pointed them out to each other. Yesterday at yet a third park, people were talking about the rocks and we exchanged location information. Last night at the downtown park, little kids (under supervision) ran up to show me the rocks they had found. All of the kids told me about what was on the rock or where they found them. A group of teenagers were hiding painted rocks. I'm 55 and don't recall seeing that kind of community energy.

In this day and age, who lets young kids approach a middle age guy? Yet there were at least a dozen squealers showing off the treasures and discussing them.

Today was back to normal. A few casual greetings in passing.

The dam problems are scary, Leslie.

Dave59, your frustration is understandable.

I did a four mile hike in a new park. I started down a trail then turned back because it was too tough to navigate. I kept tripping in the underbrush. There were plenty of cacti to fall into and a fair quantity of mosquitoes. Lots of pictures and videos to send the grandchildren. DW called saying a package from a woman was on her desk addressed to me.

After she was convinced to open it, the tone changed. It was filled with chocolate from a New Port Richey chocolatier. Some oceanside designs for the entire tribe. It's our first Valentines Day apart since we met.

I'm working on a poem. What rhymes with "carpet " and "Gulf of Mexico "?

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

great "emergency" spillway.

I watched the video you posted too and hope

that there isn't any reason for a follow-up video.

When I was filling out the (invasive) health survey I was sorely tempted to answer all the questions on anxiety, stress, and depression with the most extreme choices to see what they would do. 

I will do it for you when I submit the intake form for a new doctor.

I'm seeing in two weeks. It's four pages long and I'm so sure no one

will look at it that I'm going to submit a cover page with my questions.

They don't even ask for a release for records from my prior,

now retired, physician.

Steve - if it's for St. V's day, try "rug" instead of "carpet."

This morning's slightly-less-than-full moon in the west was losing

out to the blue sky from the bright rays of the long-lost sun

rising in the east.  Brought out not only two more robins

along the edge of the soccer field, but more than a half

dozen more a little further along.

32o starting in the shade went up to mid-forties in the sun.

High fifties or maybe ben 60o by this afternoon so maybe

another five mile return is going to be warranted.  We'll. see.

. . . . ........ . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

The weather here today was beautiful for my 2 mile recovery run.

You were over in Windsor? What were you doing there? Did you cross over to Detroit?

Yep folks, that was our weather today in the Motown region. So after being inside most of the day doing taxes for people, I got home in time to do something I can't even remember doing before: going for a run in the late afternoon. I'm used to running when the sun is barely over the horizon and wasn't ready for it being way up there in the sky. That and the 44F breeze-free temperature let me know that I was seriously overdressed! I could easily have run in shorts, although at the risk of creeping everyone out with my snowy-white winter ghost-legs.

4 miles at a slightly 10+ pace and home in time for a shower and dinner (in a few minutes).

A good end to the day!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

You were over in Windsor? What were you doing there? Did you cross over to Detroit?

Yep folks, that was our weather today in the Motown region. So after being inside most of the day doing taxes for people, I got home in time to do something I can't even remember doing before: going for a run in the late afternoon. I'm used to running when the sun is barely over the horizon and wasn't ready for it being way up there in the sky. That and the 44F breeze-free temperature let me know that I was seriously overdressed! I could easily have run in shorts, although at the risk of creeping everyone out with my snowy-white winter ghost-legs.

4 miles at a slightly 10+ pace and home in time for a shower and dinner (in a few minutes).

A good end to the day!

Rochrunner I live in Windsor. Smile  The riverfront is one of my favourite places to run other than on Bertha (a 2 minute drive from the Ambassador Bridge)

I am glad we didn't get the snow that the rest of Canada got.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**