Masters Running

POLICE! - Monday, 5/10/22 (Read 41 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The last time I was stopped was a patrol car wondering what I was doing running away from something or something on the streets of Anchorage in 1978 in the 4am sunshine.

Unlike Seattle, the island enforces vagrancy laws so no tents and filth when I go running in the nearby parks. Taking advantage of the earlier-and-earlier dawn, when I was getting out of the car at 5:45am for a two mile circuit of the rabbit park I like, a patrol car entered the otherwise empty 60-car lot and pulled in and up to "make sure I knew the park was closed until 6am" but, I guess,after they confirmed since I was just there at such an ungodly hour for a run and nothing else. I was told, Good morning. Have a nice run."

Leslie - can you do another police transcript?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow, tet!  Way to start the day!  And thanks for starting our thread.

5.3 breezy miles. 60 degrees or so and the humidity is creeping back.  Got it done.

Another week!  Get it all done, Masters!    Love the flannel(ish) shorts, Steve.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Glad you weren't arrested Tet. They may have thought you were out running around looking for some shoes.

Why do so many cities allow tent cities? They are unsafe, unhealthy, and I thought, illegal.

Planet Fitness this morning for a half hour of pushing weights around. Then a haircut.

Coincidentally, I have 2 pair of shorts arriving today from Road Runner Sports. Just normal ones though. I didn't think to order flannel ones. Steve's post was too late as I already ordered.

I haven't bought shorts in a long time. Running shorts that I like are one thing I can never find in any local stores and ordering on-line is always a guess to how they really will be.  I like pockets in my shorts and that limits my running short choices.

Good Morning, Friends -

Tet - Send over the taping and I'll see what I can do. 

Dave - We also have zilch in the way of running shorts that I  like, so it's always a crap shoot when buying.  For some reason, most companies these days think all women who run are around 100 lbs and love having theirs shorts ride up the cracks of their butts.

I slept great last night - way better than I did the last two nights.  I've been reading "A House in the Sky" by Amanda Lindhout and Sara Corbett and wanted to finish it.  It chronicles Amanda's kidnapping by militants from the Hizbul Islam fundamentalist group in Southern Somalia in 2008 (?) and being held hostage for 460 days.  Excellent book, very well written, and just draws you in from the first page.

Now I'm "The Liar's Club" by Mary Karr.  The preface alone grabbed me. so I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Since I slept so well, I decided to sleep in.  I'll get in a workout after work.  The pain in the foot isn't completely gone, but it's definitely better.  I'm going to start wearing the boot again when I'm just sitting around in the evenings to try and work on stretching out the foot more.  I sure hope all this works this time.

It's Monday.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Thanks for the start, tet.

I've been reading here but have fallen behind on commenting. I do need to acknowledge Murray's pics this weekend.   I'd like to make a reservation for a visit and boat excursion, please.

We had three days of plain lousy weather: relentlessly dark, rainy, chilly. Yuck. I focused on getting some work done, prepping for a trip (below), and watching some (sometimes surprising!) hockey. Today, though, it's gorgeous again and the greenery has exploded into full-blown summer-like leafing. The work crews are finally taking away the downed trees from January's nasty storm that made the road we live on one-lane in places. I had to improvise a 5-mile back-and-forth route to avoid all the machinery this morning..

We're heading out for a long road trip over the next few weeks...NC, SC, GA, TN, VA. Some family, much backpacking, mostly offline. No fighting while I'm away.

Be safe. Be kind.

No workouts to report due to the continued disruptions in my usual, comfortable schedule since January (infection, surgery, recovery, moving MIL, lousy weather, etc.). At least we're now having actual Spring weather and my first regular Tuesday ride with the guys should be tomorrow. So herein some random stuff I've been saving up.

Dave, not to worry. As soon as I'm named King of the World, my first act will be to outlaw leaf blowers! (At least that's better than Shakespeare, who wanted to start by killing all the lawyers!)

Mariposai, I've been meaning to tell you that I often get comments when I wear my 2020 Omak Orchards HM/10K shirt (mostly to ask "where in the heck is Omak?"). It also happens to be the last race that I entered as a runner, so meaningful for me too.

For those of you traveling, I'm here to tell you that no matter what you pay for your hotel room, unless you're staying a week or more, good luck getting any housekeeping. We spent 3 nights at $250/night with no services, and I just heard that a CNBC reporter stayed at a $800/night downtown hotel for 5 days and they never cleaned her room! We were able to grab clean towels from a cart, but made our own beds each day.

Tet, another book recommendation for you that I'm reading right now is John McPhee's Coming Into the Country, written in the mid-1970s about various adventures in Alaska. McPhee is an excellent non-fiction writer and I got the book just based on my experience with his books. This was one of his most popular, and probably describes an Alaska that no longer exists for the most part.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MurrayM

Thanks for the start, tet.

I've been reading here but have fallen behind on commenting. I do need to acknowledge Murray's pics this weekend.   I'd like to make a reservation for a visit and boat excursion, please.

Thanks. Pretty sure 95% of being a nature photographer is actually getting out into nature with your camera 

If anybody from here actually makes it to Kitimat (kind of an out of the way place) there just might be a boating day trip involved, weather depending. Maybe even a valley bottom trail run or day romp up a mountain.

Rest day today...taking Badger out for a day trip to Kildala Arm to see if sedge grasses are jumping up and if grizzlies are munching on them.

Leslie- that sounds like some definite progress with your foot! Good.

For women, I really think Oiselle makes good shorts and the reviews are pretty honest about body types/ride up etc.  I tend to like the tight/bike-style shorts with pockets these days since I can put my music player, key or whatever in them without the stuff flopping around or pulling the shorts down.  I wear the Oiselle short Roga shorts (not the regular length) as swim suit bottoms sometimes.  Rabbit also has good shorts for women, in my opinion.   Athleta, too, for sure.  For men I would peruse RoadRunnerSports or New Balance.

an amazing likeness

...I like pockets in my shorts and that limits my running short choices.

Dave -- I stumbled on the Brooks Sherpa shorts and have really enjoyed the discovery. Good (well thought out) pockets, might be worth a look-see.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Dave59

Dave -- I stumbled on the Brooks Sherpa shorts and have really enjoyed the discovery. Good (well thought out) pockets, might be worth a look-see.

Those are what I ordered (the 7" version). Good to hear you like them. I ordered them through RoadRunner Sports. I'm waiting for them to show up.

mta - Website says the expected delivery is today, but when I clicked on the tracking details it shows that the shorts arrived in Rochester NY today.  I don't expect they will make from there to WV today. 

I like women's shorts that have at least a 7" inseam, are roomy in the legs, don't ride up between the thighs, and have deep pockets on the sides. Years ago, I got two pairs of such shorts through REI that I love.  I baby them because they stopped making them.  Tammy turned me on to some that are comparable, but off the top of my head, I can't remember the brand.  With trail running, I need the pockets for stuffing extra food, etc.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

I was wondering if those shorts ever worked for you Leslie.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RS2PZJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two pairs and love them. but I know all shorts fit women differently, so what works for one, might not for another. But I like the longer length, the waistband is comfortable, and the pockets are pretty roomy to put things in. 

I am off work today, so heading out for a run a bit later. Only got in one 6 mile run (last Tuesday) last week, so really need to get back to it and get that momentum going again. with my 30K race this past Sat cancelled, it became much too easy to just bag any running over the wknd since it was nothing but a wet mess all weekend. We even had rain/snow mix yesterday off and on.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - those shorts look nice, but as a 5'1" woman, some of those longer shorts go down to my knees.  Like others have said, I have had a difficult time finding a pair that I like well.

Dave - DH used to mow the lawn at 7:00-7:30am on weekend mornings.  A couple of weeks ago, when he mowed for the first time, he did it at 8:00am on a Sunday morning.  A neighbor who lives two doors down and is FB friend with DH, commented on FB that "one of his neighbors was out at 8:00am mowing the lawn!"  So this week he waited until 9:00am, which was good, because DD was up by then and offered to do it for him!  That left us enough energy to spend a couple of hours trimming all the honeysuckle that seems to be growing through the backyard fence.

On that note, does anyone know how to get rid of honeysuckle?  It is an invasive species here, and is taking over, being terribly hard to kill.  Since we let our dogs in the backyard, I don't want to be spreading poison along the fenceline.

So, I did not get chosen for any of  the 3 jobs I have interviewed for.  I have another interview set for Wednesday, but it doesn't really look like a position I would want. Still, I will check it out.

I spent about 3 hours this morning jumping through the many and confusing hoops that have to be done on 3 different websites for Ohio Unemployment.  With all my computer experience, I still find them very confusing, and had to spend another 30 minutes trying to get through by phone to figure out where to go to schedule the "one-on-one" that is due the 11th.  I was finally able to schedule a "9:30 Initial Phone Call with Aisha" which is states that it is scheduled for 11:00am for an hour.  So, I guess I will just be by my phone from 9:30 to noon.  Then 1pm is my interview downtown.

2.2 miles for me today briskly walking up and down our big hill.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Hi Masters,

Glad you didn't get arrested, Tet, although if you did, I'm sure it would have been a fascinating experience for you, and especially for the police.

I guess today's theme is shorts, so I'll try to keep this short.

I'm sorry that you are having such problems with the OU system, Holly, Imagine how frustrating it is for anyone without your skills and knowledge?

DW had an in-person check-in with her arm surgeon in Boston this morning, and he said that everything looks good, and is progressing nicely. She is finally cleared to start PT, which she is going to jump on right away. When she got back home, she and I went for a walk, which was nice, especially on a slightly-cool, sunny day. We went 1.8 miles, and my head wanted to do more, but my body said (as others here have also said to me) "don't be stoopid!" So we called it a day, and I'm glad we did.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good to hear about your wife's arm, Jay!

Holly-  I had to laugh.  I, too, am good with computers and websites and also had to call Unemployment because the site was so impossible!