Masters Running

Saturday 08-09 rise and shine - it's another weekend - and the sun is shining! (Read 432 times)

Hey the weekend is here again and I get to start another day off. I'm up early enough during the week but at 4:30 in the morning I'm getting ready for work. On the weekends I find many of you must be sleeping in a bit longer...hmmm not a bad idea me thinks sometimes! Wink Anyway the sun is shining as it rises this morning, which is something we haven't seen in the Northeast much of late and it looks like we have only a threat of showers late both today and tomorrow before another stretch of wet weather hits us Sunday night thru mid-week...UHHH! Angry I'm headed out shortly for a nice easy run of 8 +/- miles. Good runs all.

The Jogger

Morning Maine and gang. You must go to bed very early? Went out for a 10 miler with the lively woody, you should see him now, ha. Just as we were entering the woods, I heard a bird like whistle and I said to woody, they're not very good at their bird impressions, thinking there were some troops on a weekend exercise. Low and behold, I looked up to see a beautiful Red Kite hovering above the trees making the whistling noise. Wow, it was really a nice sight. So we headed up the hilly trail for a nice run. The bottom to top was 725 feet not counting the up and downs, so it was quite a hilly one. Anyway: 10 m 01:48:39 @ 10:52 pace AHR 149 69% Good Runs All & have a great weekend. Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Roy.. nice woodsy woody run! It was wonderful here this morning! 60F and only 75% humidity. All that energy that usually goes to sweating, went to the legs! My GA effort was quite a bit faster. 2 miles with Tory at 8:21 (even he was faster Smile) Then 6 mi at 7:41 AHR 160. Overall 8 mi in 1:02:53 (7:51 pace, AHR 156) with strides thrown in. Good luck racers!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

Out for 5 mi total in 48 min flat. Renee ran with me the last 2 mi. We came back soaked as we did some sprinkler hunting. Not a peaceful run as my mind is a-jumble after a domestic dispute with the husband that just doesn't seem to want to end. It came out of nowhere, and we just can't seem to settle ourselves and I just want to fight with him. Confused I need another 5 miles out there, but time doesn't allow today.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice hilly 10 Roy...and the boss woody.... As always Steve, great run with a fast pace. Cool here this morning too - 56 degrees and no or low humidity, Hey Steve, did you get the Email I sent you through your profile...I asked you a few questions. No run yet for me as the temps are cool enough, I don't have to rush out the door to beat the heat. Thought a lot last night about with what is wrong lately with my running - whether it shoes, tiredness, over-training (which I don't see how as much as I have cut back), injury, the heat, too many days of running in a row, ect. I will add something my doctor and good friend said yesterday. He asked if I have had any super big efforts were I didn't rest enough afterwards? I then thought....the past 2 out of 4 Sat long runs I have bonked bad in the H&H and was dehydrated bad. And pushed on sometimes 2 to 4 miles just to get home, and it really really hurt. He said he thinks that is why I am feeling like I am right now because I pushed myself waaaaay beyond my limits, and that doesn't mean too fast or too long...but just kept going when I should have stopped. He explained it like racing a very hard race, then getting up the next day and and doing the samething or harder because that may have been the planned workout if there were no race the day before. He said I probably have not let my body heal up and recover latley, and taking it "VERY" easy for a week should do the trick. I am still confused about my shoe situation though. I felt some of my problems started with my new shoes about a month ago...but now I have new and a different Brand and Model that don't feel right either??? Think I will run in my older shoes easy this morning and see how I feel, and wear my newest shoes tomorrow to campare. I think for a while I am going to pretend I am not training for a Marathon, but rather go back to where I was, and just run what ever I felt like...which was still good training. Boy, rambling this morning....I am a real big talker when it comes to something I am passionate about, and know you all understand, when other folk don't. Thanks to all of you for being my running buds...and much more!!! Well, out for a ???? run and looking forward to it. Have a good day and runs all. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Nono – DH and I have had a couple days like that, too. Sad Tim – sounds like a good plan. Biked down to the river, parked the bike and ran 8 minutes running/2 minutes walking segments for 1:36, then more bike riding (50 minutes biking total). 8.7 miles biking 8.07 miles run/walk (ave pace run/walk combined 11:57) I was happy that I could run this far, but it felt like the right time to stop. Although I only felt some mild achyness in the groin injury area, I felt a multitude of other mysterious pains, and the one that really was annoying was on the outside of that leg, running down from the hip. Probably something I’ve tweaked a little with my x-training. Either that or I’m just getting old. Wink Off to soccer practice to meet my new team. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Overall 8 mi in 1:02:53 (7:51 pace, AHR 156) with strides thrown in.
                Perch I think we were on the same run this morning, (in a virtual sense). Wink My run was 8.21 miles - 1st couple miles as a warmup with the final 6.2 at a nice steady mp 7:38 ish. Total time - 1:14:19 (7:50). Now I'm off to see if I can get some yard work done while the weather is good. Holly that looks like a pretty nice workout overall for you and a smart call to call it good after that 8 + miles, better safe than sorry. Big grin
                DickyG

Looks like I'm by my lonesome this week-end...Queen Pam & some of her girlfriends are spending the week-end at the lake...it's just me & Billy Bob (see avatar). Twocat: What is it with these Garmins? I'll admit I've never run with anything anything other than my old Casio stopwatch and I've thought about upgrading...but you guys are scaring me with these horror stories...too bad your race isn't 6.76482 miles...I also have the world record at that distance. Lame: Not only a great 20-miler, but actually knowing an Olympian. Only one I ever met was a swimmer named Janet Evans who #1 son dated a few times. Mari: 20 miles for you too?...jeez.. Roy: Nice 10-miler..you always seem to enjoy your runs...good for you. Perch: That's a fast workout, my man. Tim: Very interesting conversation with your doctor about pushing body too far...and your idea about pretending you're not training for a marathon actually makes a lot of sense. Holly: Good for you...seems like you're rounding into condition...and doing it the right way. Picking up on something that's bothering Tim lately...shoes...it's been my experience that as soon as you find a model you're happy with, the manufacturer discontinues it 5 minutes later. In the past few years, this has happened to me with the New Balance 831 and the Asics Gel-Flash..I have about 450 miles on my current pair and one pair left in the box...then I'm back searching for something that doesn't make my feet hurt. Ran 4 miles at the track this morning...9:25 pace and ran the entire distance. Last mile was 8:55 so I'm slowly gaining on some type of competitive form. Golf this afternoon and tomorrow..have a great week-end everyone. DickyG
                    {{{{{{{{nono}}}}}}}} DickyG-I don't know how you get so many miles out of your shoes,mine are done after 300... It's raining here in the PNW...We really needed it though,my lawn is brown...going out with the running club for a short jaunt followed by breakfast...then another long run tomorrow... Great Runs out there this morning!!!
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                    Dave59

Accomplished my goal for one last long run before the Crim 10-miler in 2 weeks. I started out poorly because I didn't get up when I wanted, then made the mistake of turning on TV where I watched the end of the women's soccer game between the USA and Japan. And then the news came on about the attack on the American tourist in China. Finally I headed out the door grumbling that I should be more than halfway done by now. I did my favorite 6 mile loop, stopped at home to use the bathroom and refill the water bottle, and then I did the same loop in reverse for a change of scenery. Smile Excellent run for me: 60:10 - first loop 02:33 - bathroom break 58:11 - second loop Until the last 3 quarters of a mile I was feeling really good on that second loop. It was great outside (58° and low humidity) and instead of getting hot and miserable I was able to push the pace and get in a good leg thrashing. Too often my heart and lungs give out before my kegs, but today they did the bulk of the work.

The Jogger

DickyG, I try to enjoy them and like you I enjoy my golf. talking shoes, my trail shoes have 696 miles on them. I just can't be bothered to go to my running shop to get new one's. I must order some online! Roy
                          5.3 for me on this glorious Tennessee morning where the temps were in low 60's. That's the longest run of the summer for me. Nono, hope things get better for you. DickyG, I'm w/ you on the garmin thing, but only cuz I can't afford one and even if I could, don't think I wanna post my times Blush I have lots of fun w/ the map tool and assume that it gives pretty accurate mileage.

King of PhotoShop

Dave, good run with a negative split, but I must ask, was that a Freudian slip? My heart and lungs always give out before my kegs. Tim, you're tired. It's not the shoes. You got good advice from your doctor. Nono, hope it gets patched up. Slept greta last night, got up at 7, ate cereal and blueberries for breakfast and left the house with my Garmin and my cell phone and walked 2 miles. This was a big deal for me as I walked one good-sized hill and it's hot out, so I actually did quite a bit of good work. Now for the couch and much Olympics. Spareribs
                              Yeah! For the great weather today. Beautiful 55F & sunny with humidity down. Cool Perfect for a 10 miler, 1st 6.2 w/DW in 1:02:40 then 3.8 more with 3 loops around the neighborhood for a total of 1:40:50 (10:05). Been about a month since one that long, all systems checked out OK. Also wore some new shoes, Brooks Infiniti, so far all good. My old NB 858 have 327 miles, I'll keep wearing them on easy 5 milers once per week about 6 more weeks for 350 miles. Nono good luck working things out. Timbo sounds like you got some great advice. Holly that mysterious pain sounds like one I've been having for 3 years. MRI taken and Doc said my hip flexers are too thick and cause friction with the IT band. Sad Dicky good luck on the golf course.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Race day morning.... I feel like carp. Just want to go back to bed... Nothing I can pinpoint, I just don't want to get up and go. Sad It's not raining (...yet), but we are in a misty fog up here on the hill. Race is held down on the flats so should be clear. I did nothing yesterday but some light housework, errands and shopping. Kept telling myself I'd go for 4 EZ on the treadmill (it rained steady all day), but that never happened. Ate too much. Drank too much. I felt so awful and bloated when I went to bed. Ugh. Spent the night "unhydrating" if you know what I mean. Down two pounds this morning (that's a good thing, has been high), but just tired and bleh feeling. So, I need a kick in the pants! Got up, had my coffee and pre-race routine raisin bagel with PB. Checking here for motivation. Steve, I don't think a 1:40 is in the cards. My PR is 1:45, so anything better than that would be grand. But I'm not feeling it. (funny how I feel like I'm letting you down more than me??) Holly, yeah! And yeah for stopping when it felt like enough. Not a strong skill set for either of us, glad to hear you're using yours. Timbo, I think your friend/dr (which?) is onto something. Doing 10 miles when the last two are a critical struggle isn't like doing an ez 10... then you get up and do the same or worse the next day. As for the shoes, I'm with you on that one. I hate "new and improved." Nono, if there were anyway we could get together and hug, bitch and commiserate, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I've been dealing with those sort of struggles for the last two years or so. You've got the added stress of all the things your family is dealing with so you really need to be good to yourself. Good thing you've got Renee and can get out for some runs and "you" time. I know what you mean though about those next 5 miles...