Masters Running

RA Masters Triathlon RR's for 2017 (Read 19 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

If I can do a triathlon as such a lousy swimmer,

mediocre cyclist and slow runner, so can you.

Don't be proud. Have fun.

I’d been doing one-or-more annual triathlons of various distances ever since 1978 when a local doctor fell under the influence of the Sports Illustrated account of the first Ironman Hawaii and brought an abbreviated version to a chilly lake in Anchorage, Alaska.  However, I'd been putting it off for this year until a rare, day-before entry option for a nearby, super-sprint triathlon right here in Seattle with the shortest possible designated swim length of 1/4 mile in any of the standard distances* came to my attention at the last minute on the last day.to provide an unexpected opportunity to see if I could still combine my (a) extremely poor, once-a-year, DQ-level swimming and backstroking, (b) mediocre cycling on remnant muscle memory from skiing days, and (c) slow running all my life into a single event. Though I’ve been a slow-but-steady runner all my life, the joy of being able to run 26.2 miles that you had doubts about being able to do in the first place pales in comparison to the thrill of surviving an open-water lake or seaside swim before adding on cycling and running in the same event.

Getting Lost

Being so slow, I’ve been lost in marathons and many ultras over the years but never, ever lost or even a little off-course in the always well-marked triathlon courses with (a) careful monitoring by paddle boarders along buoy lines between huge orange buoys in the swim, (b) volunteers and police ensuring safe highway riding, high speed descent and otherwise dangerous intersections and (c) running when so tired after the first two. However, I made up for not ever getting lost before this time by (a) being so far behind in the initial swim that I swam off to the wrong shore, (b) taking a wrong first turn right away on the bike going almost a mile down the wrong road, and (c) inadvertently adding two extra kilometers to the 5K super-sprint run by continuing on down the Olympic-distance 10K course instead.  Fortunately, there are no time cutoffs to worry about in these kinds of smaller triathlons so being ever slower than normal didn't matter..

LEG

DISTANCE

TIME

PACE

OA

SEX

AG

SWIM

0.25 mi

0:19:43

70’/min

220/223

99/100

2/2

BIKE

14.0 mi

1:07:30

12.4mph

207/223

98/100

2/2

RUN

0:47:55

15:25m/m

218/223

99/100

2/2

TOTAL

-

2:16:28

-

216/223

99/100

2/2

Competitive Transitions

Although the last-minute entry resulted a bike rack assignment far on the edge of the transition area instead of right down the fast in-and-out straight line through the middle that would have ensured another high or top overall transition ranking, (a) swimming sine a wetsuit to have to struggle out of in the T-1 swim-to-bike transition and (b) being able to continue on barefoot to the bike and run without having to take time to put-on/change shoes, socks that some still cling to. tie/untie shoelaces, etc. was still competitive enough to have me vowing for a more timely sign-up and better transition placement next year.  Maybe I’ll even do some training, . . . but I doubt it.

T-1/T-2

TIME

OA

SEX

AG

T-1

0:00:45

6/223

4/100

1/2

T-2

0:00:33

20/223

10/.100

1/2

T-1/T-2

0:01:18

5/223

5/100      

1/2

ps - thanks to Dr. Jay Caldwell for 40 years of triathlons

from super-sprint to IM’s.

Standard Triathlon Distances

Event

swim

Bike

run

Super-Sprint

0.25 mi

12-14 mi

Sprint

0.5 mi

12-14 mi

Olympic (Int'l)

1.0 mi

25 mi

Half Iron (70.3)

1.2 mi

56 mi

13.1 mi

Ironman

2.4 mi

112 mi

26.2 mi           

<audio><source id="qs-slideshow-audioPlayer-player-mp3Source" type="audio/mpeg"></source> </audio>

Back to Gallery

See more

See less

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - you are just awesome.....  Well done, and kudos for getting more racing for your buck by adding some extra distance!  I have considered trying a sprint tri, but still worry about my ability to swim.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks for bringing this back to the top, Holly.

tet--you really are amazing to me.  I wish I didn't feel like I had to be at a certain level to do these things and just go out and have fun.  If I wasn't so afraid that I'd drown, maybe I would.

Congratulations on your 2nd place age group win!

Great report Tet!!

denise

Hey Tet - just fabulous that you did this. I love your T-times! Doesn't it hurt to bike barefooted?

I have checked out a few local tris online, even one up in MikeE's town. That one is for first timer's only. Whattda say, Mike? They offer training and even an experienced triathlete to go the whole way with you. Hmmmmm,,,,,,   That would mean I wouldn't be able to start with the Siouxperman next May as my first.

Thanks for sharing.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich