Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 3.18.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (8.1 EZ SW Florida miles)
    Holly (6.5 EZ miles in breezy 34° temps)
    Tomwhite (40 min pool run, nb, cf, ris, paw)
    Anzlo (15 run/walk miles at 11:15 pace, some with DW)
    Tet (St. Pat’s Dash)
    Mike (10 miles, pre-car-cleaning)
    Pfriese (9.5 afternoon miles)
    Stumpy (3.1 round-the-lake miles in 30° temps)

Good reset run, KSA. I’m also (finally) over my cough, but still feel like I need a bit more time getting my strength back.

Good focused run, Anzlo. You and DW are like the rest of us: some do too much cross-training, and some do too little.

Sounds like a good Irish dinner, Pfriese.

Sorry about losing your kitty, Stumpy. They find a way into us, don’t they?

It is an amazing circle, isn’t it, Fatozzig? Sorry about the local man in the logging accident.

I’m glad your Dad is out of rehab, Steve, but sorry the challenges continue for you and your sister. Keep up the good work  - do what you can.

Tet, I've almost fallen asleep at some presentations, but never at a meeting, and never while I was speaking!

I almost gave in to the bed magnet this morning. But I had to get up to feed the cat, so I just kept going, and before I knew it, I was out the door. 7.22 pre-dawn RW miles in 12° temps with a breeze that I didn't need. Not good weather for going slow and EZ, so I didn't.

DW and I are going to breakfast to meet a friend's high school son. He has a drone, and I want to either hire him, or to ask him for some advice on buying/flying a drone. We have what is becoming a major tidal flooding problem in town along our salt marsh, and, as part of the Conservation Commission, I want to start photo-documenting it from the air. Should be interesting...

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Keep us posted on the drone situation.  That’s interesting.

Stumpy-  sorry about your kitty.  Losing our animal family members is so hard.

Continuing with the reset-  4.4 miles very slow and low HR.  Well, HR was well in the range of low until the last mile when it got warmer out.

Stayed up late watching basketball.  My husband’s undergrad alma mater, Texas Tech, pulled it out.  I’m doing really well in the Swamp/RA pool.  I picked Tennessee to win over Loyola, but there was no beating Sister Jean.  We’re always glad to see Tennessee lose (as Vandy fans), but I do like their coach and it was a tough loss.   Michigan stayed alive in my bracket on a buzzer beater after I went to sleep.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

My DH's alma mater (AZ Wildcats) got knocked out pretty early on by, of all things, the Buffalo Bulls (?). So he has no more dog in this fight and doesn't care. Sort of sad, really, as he looks forward to it for months.

Stumpy, so sorry about your kitty. I know all too well that empty quiet house feeling.

SteveP, you're doing a good thing, although I'm sure it feels like it's not worth it sometimes. It is. Does your dad have a regular caretaker, someone to check in on him regularly?

That's a good use of a drone, Jay.

Sick leave is an interesting thing. If you don't give it, employees tend to come to work sick and make everyone sick. If you give sick leave and incent employees not to use it (i.e., give it a cash value), they will again come to work sick. What the employer wants is to balance an incentive to use it wisely, so employees have it when they need it to help prevent the spread of communicable diseases, but have enough controls on it so employees don't call in sick for trivial things. Not always an easy balance and a lot depends on your workforce and industry. We get 12 days a year, unlimited accrual but no cash value at termination. Our employees are all over the map in how it's used/treated.

I thought I posted yesterday. So I ran again yesterday, on the treadmill because of all the new slippery snow we have. Looking for a hill workout, I checked out the Golf Course setting on my treadmill which I'd never used before (I've had this thing almost ten years, too). Turns out it's a good little hill workout. Did it just at the basic setting using 6.5 mph for the speed, and it took about 13 minutes and went 1.41 miles. So, did that twice, and walked a mile before and after with inclines up to 8 and 9%. Good little workout, and I have a little over 7 miles for the week!

Pool running today.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post.  26.2 mile jaunt, mostly on a rails to trails course.  Started ok...sort of.  Ended poorly.  3:37:03 gun time; 3:36:35.99 on the chip.  1:42:54 at the half.  I'll try and write something up at some point for the race thread.  Meanwhile, I need to write a spin profile and prepare for Mass.  Going to interesting to see if I can get up and down the stairs to lector (we've been having services in the base theater while the chapel is having some work done).

Have a great day everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Falconfixer - Wow - that's a pretty excellent time!  And even more so since you signed up at the last minute - well done!

{{{Stumpy}}}  It's so hard to say goodbye to our furry friends.

Jay - 12 degrees?  In March?  That is just not nice...

25 degrees when I started out today and 44 when I finished.  I had to swing by the house at the halfway point to lose a few layers.

19.05 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Another 3.1 jaunt around the lake this morning.  As I commented to DW on the way out the door--"more like January than March".  about 18F at the beginning and up to 20 at the end.  Finally broke freezing as I type.  Faster (relatively) than yesterday, so that was a little surprise, considering the nice breeze that I thought we weren't supposed to have.

We splurged yesterday and bought DW a DSLR camera so she can photograph her beaded jewelry to try and sell on line.  Quite a large step up from phones and previous point and shoot cameras .  Just a little more complex than my SLR of 40+ years ago.  we've already made it to the point of downloading over Bluetooth--now we just have to get the pretty pictures.  also got a telephoto lens to go with it, so hoping for much better pictures up in Maine.

Falcon--yes, pretty impressive for last minute selection.  Well done (even without a report)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

..oh,

are they playing Basketball this week??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5Uhh1djNo

=====================

...60s and mild...

.....66-min HH 3-4s on soccer fields

..................Good Running to Ya......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Dusted off the bike and snuck in a 16-mile ride.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I ran 3.15 at the park this morning.

Marshall University in my new hometown won it's first ever NCAA tournament game and play WVU tonight in the second round. Kind of ironic because WVU keeps refusing to schedule Marshall during the regular season even though most people in the state want them to play.  Either way, a WV team is going to the Sweet 16 this year. Unfortunately, I'll be in bed before the game starts.

We got back last night from a trip to Navarre Beach Florida. The last 2 years we have spent our grandkids' spring break where they live in Tallahassee, but this year we rented a 3-bedroom condo on the beach. We got there last Saturday. My 2 granddaughters (Annabelle 9, Riley 3) came with their father on Sunday, and my daughter got there on Wednesday.

It was a very good trip with many trips to the beach and pool and a lot of good memories. Even though the first few days were pretty cool (upper 50s & low 60s) we still spent plenty of time playing in the sand and waves.

I ran a little bit the first couple mornings, but then I decided to use the mornings for coffee, reading, and relaxing until the kids got up.

TammyinGP

just  a short 4.7 miles on the home trails with the dogs. DH and DS are having fun at the Nascar race today and I was glad the weather cooperated with them because earlier in the week it looked a bit cold with off and on rain.

low mileage week for me with only 17.9 miles.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Gotta love today’s Mercer Island Half Marathon I’ve been doing off-and-on since 1990 whenever I’ve been around, especially because it runs by where we’re staying so DW can bring out some hot green tea.  Unfortunately, it’s in the middle of a half-mile ascent at mile 11.5 and, somehow, to the delight of others in the mix, she seems to delights in exhorting me to “run faster,” “you’re too slow,” . . . . ..   <<<(ed note: he secretly likes it too)>>>

Made for a nice day, especially with Michigan and Gonzaga on the way to S-16.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Wow, Falcon, I'll say that's a good time. Nicely done and I hope you can maneuver the stairs ok.

Tammy, you've been doing long runs longer than that recently! A step back week is a good idea though, so good for you.

Nice race with a green tea break, Tet! And yes, I'm sure you love it. Sorry we missed you last week but we were pretty wrapped up with my dad. I think you guys would get along really well though.

Nice long run, Holly! For a bit I forgot what you were training for. Then remembered.  One of these years, maybe next year, right Mariposai?

20 laps of pool running today (1 hour, 6 minutes), then four laps of my lazy swimming I like to do. I get to run tomorrow!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

tet--your DW is cool.

Great job, today, Falcon!

Was this your first ride of the year, Tramps?

I went 8 miles, today.  It was supposed to be easy...as was yesterday and the day before...but none of them felt very easy.  I hope my legs come back for tomorrow's "strength" run.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Nice race refreshment, Tet!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

About 5 miles at the McKay Tract this morning.  I saw "about" because for some reason my Garmin lost all its charge in 2 days.  Maybe because it was in the garage and it was cold?

SteveP - It can be a hard balance in helping elderly parents and them not feeling like they're being treated like children or being taken advantage of.  Hang in there.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people come to work hacking and coughing and sick.  And then there are those who stay home if they have a hangnail. 

Holly - This area is a big cattle-ranching area.  The family of my previous boss is one of the largest ranchers in the area.  It would be impossible to keep all the pregnant females close at hand.  When calving begins, they'll go out and start checking for babies and make sure they're being taken care of.  If not, they'll pull the babies out of the field and hand-rear them until they're old enough to return.

Image may contain: grass, sky, outdoor and nature

We took Wilson to the vet Friday for a check up.  Holy cow, he did NOT like that!  Thankfully, he doesn't need to go back for another year.  We might want to drug him next time.  It was also hinted that he may want to lose a pound or two . . . 

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance