Masters Running

Wednesday Nov. 18 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 413 times)

Today's run was an 8 mile run with a fartlek workout toward the end of it.

8 miles at a confortable 9:15 pace.

5 x 2 minutes at 10K pace (7:40), 1 minute jog recovery.

7:39, 7:39, 7:42, 7:36, and 7:37 for the fast parts.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning Bill and the rest of the gang!

I am so out of touch with the list, and I have so much reading to catch up on.  Work has been crazy with no let up in sight.   The reunion was great - we stayed on the LSU campus, and there was a great running/biking trail around the University Lakes next to the hotel.  I'll post pictures one of these days when I get caught up.   I ate way too much - glad we were only there for a few days or I'd be a blimp. 

Easy run on the treadmilly for me this morning - it was a great day for running outside, but after three hard running days in a row, I was ready for an easy run.  7 miles @ 10:11 and 148 AHR. 

Hope little Will is doing well and that no new injuries have cropped up.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Just heard a piece on the local NPR station about the Philly Marathon and thought of Tramps.  I'm thrilled that it's still so warm, but then again, my long run is only 5 miles this week and I'll be doing that next to the ocean.  I'll continue to hope for an unanticipated cold front to move in on Saturday afternoon on Tramps' behalf.

Jlynne - thanks for the Will update.  So glad to hear he's doing well and that you're getting to spend time with him.

Leslie - "ring water out of my shirt" & "kinda fun" in the same paragraph reminds me that we all are a little crazy, but it is fun, isn't it?  Smile

PDR -  your description of BeerDog barking and acting like a moron reminded me of a few of my 7th & 8th graders . . . .

Home this morning as we go in today at 1:00 and then have conferences until 8:30 tonight, then back to school tomorrow morning.  Even the kids don't get why they have a random day off in the middle of the week.  Got mounds and mounds of laundry done this morning, though, and I'm heading out for a rare treat - a mid-week, daylight run in my PA neighborhood.  And I'll be wearing a skirt and short-sleeved shirt in mid-November.  Very kewl.

Saw on my iGoogle homepage that it's the anniversary of the premier of "Steamboat Willie," so I guess it's sorta Mickey Mouse's birthday.  I remember being at WDW about 10 years ago and ducking in to the movie theater on Main Street to get a break from the heat.  Steamboat Willie was playing and two little boys, about 4 & 5, who only spoke Italian were watching it and laughing hysterically - that totally free and uncontrolled belly laugh that we seem to outgrow much too soon.  It was fun to share a classic with them.

Good Wednesday, all,

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Tramps

Morning' all. 

After Jlynne's post yesterday, I'll never hear "boy howdy" the same again.

Carolyn, I'll take your snow offer.

I've got a mid-week rest day scheduled.  You gotta love taper time.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

PDR – our little Daisy got out Saturday as well, slipping in between our neighbor’s legs when she came to the door to pick up her son, DD’s playmate.  Daisy immediately made a beeline for the large lot across the street, kicking her heels up with glee as she dived into the thickets, flushing out rabbits and other critters.  It took the 4 of us 20 minutes to catch her by flushing her out and dive-catching her.  She was completely unrepentant. 

Tramps – for years I've had a different version ($hit howdy!), which is sort of a composite of Leslie’s and Jlynne”s.  

6 recovery-paced miles today in 48° and light rain. 

Ortho appointment for DS this afternoon, and this time I’m taking DD for a consult, as recommended by our dentist at her last cleaning.  She’s only 7, which seems kind of young, but with 8 permanent teeth in and obvious overcrowding already, it’s apparently not too early to form a plan of action.  I’m secretly hoping the orthodontist will say, “Bring her back in 2 years,” so we can get DS’s braces paid for before we have to start on hers.  That kitchen tile job I’ve wanted since we moved in keeps getting moved back....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just back from a most pleasant 3.5 miles under bright sunshine with a light breeze.  Such a treat to run in daylight this time of year.

More on Mickey - as I was doing my cool-down walk, I realized that I was wearing big white shoes, black shorts, and oversized white gloves!  No bow tie or big ears, though.  

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly, DS14 is getting his braces off two weeks from tomorrow, and I had to take in DD11 for a consult last month.  She has some permanent teeth coming in at a crazy angle, and the two baby teeth below them aren't coming out.  So this afternoon I take her in to have those extracted.  Not usually a big deal, but because of the kids' mild bleeding disorder, I had to go buy medicine that cost over $300!!  Sigh.  We're spending money like it's water.  Like you, I'm hoping we don't have to start her in on braces for at least a little longer!

My friend and I ran 4 miles this morning.  I'm feeling better when I run now, but still taking walk breaks.  I'm very glad it didn't feel like I was running through sludge!

dg.

good morning!

That was a nice run Byll!   I did fartleks too, but didn't time or track them.

Hi Sue!   I'm glad you're back.   And glad you had a good time.  ... I'm way behind too. 

Holly... did she say "Tiny bunny yummy!"?   Smile     Good luck today.   I think 7 is awfully young too.  

Eliz nice you got in a weekday day run.    You made me smile with your description of the little boys enjoying steamboat willie...     

Sending out IRC vibes for you this weekend Tramps. 

Still have to (want to) read monday & tuesday threads, have caught little pieces...  

Jeanne, thanks!      So cool you got to watch Baby Will!   I think he'll keep everyone on their toes for a while.

Aamos...I had to laugh at your post.   I was going to be a closet worrier about Nono's hip... but no longer!  Nono, we can worry if we want to.   :-)    I'm really excited for you too.

Tim I noticed you posted later yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.   Hoping you are still all in one piece!

My foot pod decided to work today, no idea why but yippee.   40ish, & windy heading east.   I still haven't settled quite what I'm doing.   I ended up with 5.23 miles, 9:43 average pace, (2 very short but untimed stops)  7:57 max.  7 fartleks.  Miles were 10:11, 9:48, 9:38, & 9:34.   My paces are getting a little better, but it's kind of like I haven't caught up to it yet.  I don't know quite what that means   but ... it doesn't feel like I'm running fast, even for me, but it's harder. 

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

50° F

IRC

12 miles out to Jamestown Island and back again.  Mostly domestic (Virginia plates), one US Government plate, and one Connecticut plate.

Thanks for everyone who played my game last time.

(Eliz, your PA plate counts, it was you, right?)

Happy Wednesday!

Tramps, go for a walk or spin.  Don't just sit there.  Taper?  Schmaper.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

TammyinGP

last night was Tuesday Track Night, so Laura and I ran 7 miles in 1:04:33.

Tammy

dg.

Hey Tammy, was it dry? 

Hi Rose!    I would have played but I thought I had to match one.   and I didn't.   Ok,  new version.   I'll start looking for VA plates.  & hope I see one before March.  ;-)    You are running a lot!!!    What is your plan?

Tim, just read your post.  phew.  Smile

tomwhite... thank you.     that helps more than I can say.    maybe you already know that.  Smile.   and...  okok, I know. 

TammyinGP

yep, it was dry out and not that bad temp wise either. Laura wore shorts and she was okay once we ran a few laps. Although she doesn't have long running pants anyways, but it was probably low 40's. I, of course, being the weeny that I am, wore running pants, two shirts, gloves and even a fleece headband so my ears stayed covered. I hate cold ears. I figure if I'm excessively sweating then I'm probably burning more calories, or maybe just losing an extra 1/2 lb in sweat weight.

Tammy

WOW, another day in the 60s here.  Perfect little RAL, now up to listen to closings in a colleague's case.

Still smiling over Eliz's Mickey Mouse get up this am.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Eliz - Loved description of the boys watching Steamboat Willie. Really made me .

It's beautiful here today, but I ran this morning. 10 road miles with striders every 10 min, completed in about 1:38, with some hills thrown in for good measure.  The quads felt really heavy for every single hill, which sucked.  Thought I was going to be overdressed, but the closer it got to the sun rising, the cooler it became, and I was happy to be wearing my winter attire and gloves.

If I stay on track with my training through Sunday, I'll have my first ever 50-mile week.  Hard to believe.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Boy howdy, what a nice day out there!  60° and sunny. I did 5 miles at lunch around the golf course. The paths are mostly snow-free but the grass is still snow covered, keeping the golfers away so I can run there.   I'd rather be on the dirt trails but they'll still be too snowy/muddy. But if these warm temps and sunshine keep up they'll be dry soon.

Holly, funny story about Daisy, although I'll bet it wasn't funny at the time. BAD DOG!  Speaking of bad dogs, Ladybug let herself into the house yesterday because I forgot to lock the patio door when I left in the morning, so when we got home late after DD's play rehearsal we found the door wide open, the house cold, and Ladybug lying on the couch wagging her tail.

Those orthodontist bills make me glad I only have one kid.

No license plate sightings on the golf course but I did see a muskrat in the creek!

Here's a picture of DD in costume - she's a fairy in A Midsummer Night's Dream. You're all invitedto come to the show this weekend! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.