Masters Running

40+ on the run w/e 1/18 (Read 459 times)

jfa

What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail? ~ Robert Schuller Hi All! A new week and a new MARATHONER!! WTG Arla!!!! My sincerest Congratulations on your race!!!! Less sincere is my congratulations on your mean green football team Cry

Thanks for getting us started, Joe. Good quote WOO HOO, ARLA!! Anybody know her time?? Ev - Thanks for pace info. I was looking at it on my desktop here at home, which is all wigged out since the changes here. When I look at things on my laptop, I see the pace, but not on the desktop. I don't have any of the emoticons or formatting buttons. Strange. On my desktop at work, I have to put my password in twice before it'll accept it, and that actually happened today with my laptop for the first time. Confused

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yes, way to go Arla! Joe, I'm sorry about the way the game turned out. And about your crud....I hope you get to feeling better. Yes, I think I know Arla's time. But I'm going to let her fill us in on all the details. I will say...I'm impressed! Smile Does the forum have a different look today? Something seems different. 15 miles for me this morning. I took it pretty slow but still the last 3 6 9 miles were a struggle. As I was plodding along the trail, along came mrsday. I had left her at home and about mile 6 she joined me. We did the usual opposite routes....she finished with about 8 miles. I think that's her longest to date. The weather was gorgeous today. When I started out it was about 40F and probably about 50 or so when I finished up.....and no wind. IRC I'd say....but aren't they all?! MTA....I'm missing mtnchick.....anyone heard from her?
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

4 easy miles half double track trail and half gravel road around our home section (a 1 mile x 1 mile square). I wanted to do more but decided a cutback week for my AT was in order. I have no idea what else to do for it.Confused All my other parts were just getting warmed up and ready for more!! Joe sorry bout the crud and the Giants. Hope its not what Lynda has, she is almost ready to run again. Eagles have Correl Buckhalter a former Husker RB, didn't watch so don't know if he was a force or not. Leslie that was a pretty crappy story!! Wink Us runners aren't squeamish about bodily functions. Wow Ev great long run. Gorgeous day here also just about 10 deg cooler than your start finish numbers. Congrats to Mrs Day on her run. Gotta run (drive) to Ogallala for some groceries. laters Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning, Folks ~ Jim - Don't know what to tell you about the old AT, but I know Timbo on the daily can definitely sympathize with you. Undecided Ev - Nice long run! And I think it's great that you and your wife are able to run together. For that matter, all of you who have spouses that run with you. Very nice, indeed. And not a peep from Cindy in so long. I, too, miss her posts. Hope everything is okay. I was suppose to do 3 miles plus strength/core training this morning. However, I was still eye balling the clock at 12:00 a.m., even though I'd gone to bed at 9:00. I could not see me functioning well for anything with only 4 1/2 hours of sleep, so I decided on the 3 only. I figured I go home and to my strength training tonight, but at 6:00 p.m. our time, Sean Hannity will be airing his interview of soon-to-be former president Bush, and I want to watch that. Unfortunately, I missed his last live press conference this morning, but Fox aired a few tidbits afterward, and now I want to see if it's on the web. It sounds like the press conference was very interesting, and I'll bet the interview is even better. Have a great day, friends! Cool

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks- back to work with a bit of sniffles and a little run down, but the worst of my crud is hopefully behind me. Also behind me is this year's football season. Eli saved his worst game of the year ( I can handle wind better than him) and the play calling was awful. Oh well, there's always next year Black eye Ev- 23 miles for you and the Misses, Great job!! Good run for Jim. And you too Leslie, despite lack of sleep. I'll third the motion on missing Cindy. Hoping to get out this evening for a run. Severe cold temps coming later this week. Looking forward to hearing from Arla! Good day all!

Good afternoon everyone.... Not much to report as the weekend pretty much consisted of housework, washing my car and watching a little bit of football. Today was back to work and I have double classes on Mon. and Wed. starting at 4:30-8:45 so my workout days will most likely consist of Tues/Thur/Fri during the week and hopefully getting in some LR's again real soon on the weekends. That's the plan! My sister had a really nice 8 miler last Thursday and even though she wanted to be further along in her training she told me today that she is definately doing the HM. I'm still up in the air with it. I'm going to go for a 5 miler tomorrow. If the knee feels good then maybe a 7 miler the following week and then a 9 miler the next week.That is all I will have time for. The race is Feb. 8th. Of course some shorter runs will be thrown in there as well. That crud seems to be hitting alot of folks, stay healthy you all! Great runs to everyone......Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                  Crud, BE GONE WITH YE! Angry (Personally, I've been wearing a nice little necklace of garlic. Also handy in keeping those pesky vampire varmits away.)

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Ah ,good to get out again. Tonight was a brisk 8 miler @ 9:14 in 25" , windless,and a big bright moon over the fields.

Hi guys, just time for another "drive by", but hello to all! Where is the Arla report? Jewels, we're in a similar predicament. I talked to a friend a while back about doing the Cowtown 1/2, and she was sort of non-commital. Now she's all for it, and my base...well...is wobbly at best. Have I mentioned that she is a natural athlete, former junior olympian runner, and black belt in karate? So I ran 5 today at not stellar pace (11:13) but felt OK, and plan on adding 1 mile to each week's long run. Should put me at 10 or 11 prior to the race (2/28). So I'm counting on you to blaze the trail Smile, and none of the crud visiting either of us! Leslie, where'd you get that garlic necklace?...may need to get one Smile.
                      Progress Trumps Pefection
                        Hey gang. Joe, nice 8. Jim...keep the AT under control jewels...good luck gettin back out there. fatozzig...I love garlic. Hows the strength training going? Carol...nice 5er. Good luck working up to that half. I've always wanted to do the Cowtown and/or the White Rock...maybe some day. The long runs are eatin' my lunch. I'm gettin' though 'em ok, but then niggly pains return the next day in the right shin and now the left IT? I'm going to take a page from my soapbox speech and rest for awhile. I'm looking at 1-2 weeks of no running. I'll use this opportunity to get back to the gym for some weight and core work which is badly needed.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        saltyd

Hi Everyone, So I typed a message and apparently didn't hit post , and realized it, but it was too late, and it isn't showing my post. So here I go again. Sorry if it double posts. After being MIA for quite a while, I'm back and hoping to stay in touch and in the loop better. Work has kept me busier than before, and life has kept me pretty busy also. We had lay offs here back in December which kept eveyone nervous. I made it through the lay offs, and am keeping my fingers crossed that we don't have any more and the economy starts looking better. The holidays were nice with family and friends to share them with. I am still serving Grand Jury Duty, but only have 1 more month to go. It has been very informative, and our grand jury has actually been a fun group. I am just now working getting my miles and stamina back. The surgery (bladder suspension) has made working out much more pleasurable. I've signed up for the 10k at the Napa Valley trail run at the end of March. This afternoon I'm going to go work on my hills a little to hopefuilly be better prepared for the continuous uphill climb in March. I hope this finds everyone well, and hope to keep in better touch. Salty
                          Saltyd Life isn’t about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

flatland mountaineer

Did a few sets of weights this morning, not sore after anymore so kicked it up a notch. Will continue the cutback run week, maybe back it off a little more. I am punting on the PS half due to non-fitness issues mentioned earlier. Welcome back Salty! Carol sounds like you are on track with your half training. Jewels hope the ol knee holds up. Input prices are starting to crack, dang sure better as all our grain markets were limit down yesterday!! Angry

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Joe - Nice evening run, and yes, that moon has been beautiful, hasn't it? I love running in the dark, quiet hours of the a.m. It's much easier to get into my own little world. Jim - Hope the cut back helps with the AT. Ev - Didn't end up doing my strength training last night (surprise, surprise), but will hit it again tomorrow. Personally, I think whole body strength training has made a real big difference in my running. Carol - So you're gonna do the half? Good for you! Salty - Nice to see you again. Hope you can get back to us more often. Had a nice 5.25 miles this a.m. with 6 steep hill repeats in the middle. I've decided to start doing my hill repeats at The Hill right by my house. It's steeper than the one I've been using, and I think that will definitely help. It's sort of split into two sections - sort of - so my goal is to one day make it all the way to the top without stopping. I had to run back up the long hill I ran down to get to the hill for my hill repeats, so I counted the climb back up the hill I initially ran down as one of my repeats. Did you follow that??? Wink All in all, had an average pace of 10:27. My nurse practitioner left a message yesterday saying my CT scan came back fine. Confused Don't know what that means, but will find out tomorrow at the dr appt. Shout out to everyone else. And I'm assuming Arla flew back yesterday or today from Florida, so hoping we get her race report by the end of the week!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey 40's..... Joe, glad the crud worked its way out of you and you got back out there. Enjoy that "brisk" air, I hear it is going to be down right cold for alot of folks this week. We are even suppose to get some low 40's on Thursday. Jim, way to go on the weight sessions you've been getting in. Today was the first day I wasn't sore from my 3 days last week. I pretty much know now what I can and shouldn't do at the gym. I'm leaving all of the ab machines alone. I tend to use my back and arms to "help" compensate for my weak abs and then my back gets a little kink in it. So.......good ole fashioned crunches on a mat for now. Leslie, nice run you had there. That hill by your house sounds like a doozy. You are one strong lady. How's the ankle? Also, was it the same ankle you sprained years ago? So nice to hear from you Salty. Please post often, we love hearing about everyone's runs. The Napa Valley 10k trail run sounds like a blast. Good luck..... Evryday, you have been getting in some great runs. Take that week off and you'll be right back at it in no time. Carol, ya I hear ya on trying to add a mile here and there. Good luck with your mileage, your race is just a couple of weeks after mine. Kind of depressing for me thinking about my race but my knee is feeling alot better so I have to be happy about that! Light leg workout and abs today followed by a 3 mile run.......Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee