Masters Running

Monday 9/26/16 Runs and Maybe Not (Read 37 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Tet - kept on fishing for two hours with a fishing lure deep in your calf - you are tough!  (or a really avid fisherman)

Erika - we have a lot of apple orchards here, and we are at sea level, so I bet they would do fine at your house, too.

Just 1 mile on the TM for me this morning, plus about 30 minutes of weights and core.

My legs sure feel tired from yesterday's effort.  Shows how out of shape I am, but it's coming back, little by little.

Good luck as you venture forth into your Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning Holly and all to follow. Thanks for starting the daily Holly, though you need to improve your "recap skills".  You might want to talk to Jay about that

Tet - I hope that after all that pain and effort you caught lots of fish!

Speaking of apples, we have lots of orchards around this area. I went apple picking with my DS, DIL and the 3 boys Saturday. It's always an adventure to make sure they don't break every bone in their bodies when they climb up and down in the trees. Makes me incredibly nervous!

I'm excited for all of you who will be in Portland and wishing that I had made more effort to try to be there this year. With the Tough Mudder next Sunday and another half the weekend after that, I'll have all I can handle just to get through the next two weeks.

5 miles this morning in 54° and a brisk 15 mph wind out of the SW. I think my days of shorts and short-sleeved shirts are slowly coming to an end....

Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread and green beans on the menu today. Anyone want to make a reservation to eat with the kids?

Have a great Monday everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread and green beans on the menu today. Anyone want to make a reservation to eat with the kids?

That does sound good.  However, I brought a couple of slices of jalapeno cheese bread that I bought at a farmer's market on Saturday, along with some extra-sharp cheddar cheese slices, and I will make a toasted cheese sandwich at lunch, to have with some steamed broccoli.

No matter how many times I write it, I always misspell broccoli.  Thank goodness for spellcheck.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tet--for future reference  http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0601/p2231.html.  I've heard (but fortunately never had to use) that the string pull method works very effectively.

Still no running.  foot is still sore.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Just amused myself by trying to imagine the ratio of how many times Holly has written 'broccoli' compared to how many times my DH has done the same.  I think I will send him an email in a bit and ask him to estimate the total.

So sad about Jose Fernandez (the 24 year old Marlins pitcher who died this weekend in a boat crash).  We need more joyful people in the world.   I realize I'm still in some ways mourning Jodi, my former colleague and friend who died in July.  Every time I learn of a death that hits home for me, I default to thinking about her, and especially her mom.  She was 2x Jose's age, but still, too young.     And even though I am older than that, it's still hard working through loss, isn't it?

SO how long can I milk that "I'm in recovery mode" from a marathon?  Six and a half this am, and if running had a strollin' pace, I had it down.  Beautiful pink-red sunrise for us, and under 80.

Thanks for the good luck wish, Hols, and since it crossed my mind, let me give you the lyrics to Prince's Strollin, below.  Goes better with music, of course.  Not one of his biggest, but one of his more light-hearted songs.  Call it up and listen if you need to lighten your day.  Or better yet, follow the advice and play a little hooky at lunch.  ....get some ice cream.....

grins,

A

ps: Do not be surprised if Dustin Pedroia gets invited to be on "Dancing with the Stars."   You can google the video from Sunday if you've a mind to...

Close the shop, let's take a drive
            Take a break from nine to five
            It's so great to be alive, oh yeah
            We could rent some roller skates
            We could skate around the lake
            If we don't know how, we'll fake it, oh yeah

Strollin', strollin' we could have fun just strollin'
            Rockin', rollin', oh yeah

Let's forget about the time (time)
            Let's relax and ease our mind (mind)
            We deserve to just feel fine, oh yeah
            We could stroll the mezzanine (stroll)
            Buy some dirty magazine
            Laugh behind it while we're eatin' ice cream (ha ha ha ha)

See the man with the blue guitar
            Maybe one day he'll be a star
            Give him your ice cream and
            I'll give him the keys to my car
            There's so much hate goin' round
            Hard to not let it get you down
            Least we can do is make a joyful sound, oh yeah

Strollin', strollin'
            Oh, yeah, rockin', rollin' (we could have fun, we could have fun)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

no run for me today. busy work day and then perhaps DH and I will do something this evening, since it's our 17th anniversary. but it is the first night of the debates and we both want to watch that also.

only mildly sore today. I have another race this Saturday - a 10K near Ashland, which means I think I will FINALLY get to the running store in Ashland and buy some new shoes with the gift certif my relay team generously gave me. 

Erika - garden was okay this year. not great, but okay. hardly any green beans, but I did pull up all my garlic and onions yesterday which was ALOT. I got a decent amount of tomatos, peppers and planted fall lettuce a few weeks ago.

today should be our last hot day at 95 or so. We are in the season of bouncing barometers - hot for a few days, very chilly at night and then temp might drop 30-40 degrees in a matter of a couple days. By this coming weekend we should be in low 60's with some rain.

Tammy

..remind me

to stick a hook in my leg next time I go fishing,

at this point I'm Up for Suggestions

==============

ever notice sometimes ,,,,,,,,,,You Just Lose It??

today

I laced up (for the first time in 2-years)

and grabbed my 1-lb HandWeights

and

headed out

to ''The Hill of Terror''

where

I had my Most Embarrassing Running Experience

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/34-masters-club/69713-now-i-know-why-people-quit.html

it wasn't Fast,

it wasn't Pretty,

and

it wasn't Smart

and

I didn't Quit

............ put me down for a 20-min Out and Back

it was Emotionally Satisfying

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hi again!  We're at sea level too (sometimes, below it ) but we got oranges:

Image result for orange trees florida

I'll have to go back and catch up later.  Trying to eat, post, and get some work done all at the same time.  Geesh!

I ended up working all weekend - 5.5 hrs on Saturday and 8.5 hrs yesterday, and I still don't feel like I'm caught up.  BUT, I'm doing the best I can and will be able to leave in two weeks for a week-long vacation with The Hub without feeling bad.  . . .   Okay, let's face it.  I never feel bad when I take time off!  

Oh, I ran a total of 17 miles last week.  I know, I know!  The thought is exhausting, isn't it?!?

Have a great week ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

today

I laced up (for the first time in 2-years)

and grabbed my 1-lb HandWeights

and

headed out

to ''The Hill of Terror''

where

I had my Most Embarrassing Running Experience

http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/34-masters-club/69713-now-i-know-why-people-quit.html

it wasn't Fast,

it wasn't Pretty,

and

it wasn't Smart

and

I didn't Quit

First comment - good work tomwhite!!!

Second thought - wow we have all been together along time - it basically makes us Common Law

Holly - words that I cannot spell - broccoli, basically, prescription (pretty bad for a nurse), and surprise

Today was an epic bike ride to my Epic training class (hope Denise sees this), a 2 mile run, and will go to Aikido later on today. I love the mind, body, spirit connection, but am a complete klutz - luckily folks there are very patient. Like TW - it won't be pretty, smart, and I won't quit!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Sayhey! MM#130

Holy Hot Fudge Sundaes, how could I miss wishing a certain RAer Happy BIrthday???

Image result for batman and dog

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

First comment - good work tomwhite!!!

Second thought - wow we have all been together along time - it basically makes us Common Law

Wow, that was an interesting flashback.  Apparently, KickRunners is still going?  good ads to go with the comments   Lots of familiar names, even that Stumpy guy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

DH's response to how often he's had to spell broccoli: "??  Not very many, that's for sure.  And rather glad of it.  Don't like to eat it and not sure of its spelling."

10 miles today because yesterday was a 12 hour ride in the truck and I didn't get it done. I did a O/B so the first 5 were right into a heavy wind. The second five I got a nice push I guess. This was on tired legs Im not sure if it was from 24 hours of driving in 3 days or the nice 5 miler I did Saturday. I asked my son for a route and he sent me on a up and down trail that us flat landers are not used to. I think my last mile was over 10:30 ! I guess the Ozarks are real mountains. 😜 Nothing compared to some of you but something fun and different for me.

I see we are comparing apples to oranges now ?

Tomwhite,

sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Tet,

been there but it was in the webbing of my hand and with a northern pike attached to the daredevil. So ouch! And ......no just ouch.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

it wasn't Fast,

it wasn't Pretty,

and

it wasn't Smart

and

I didn't Quit

TW - that would probably describe most of my runs - well done!

LaT - add jalapeno and delicious and nauseous to my list.  Crazy, because I am actually incredibly good at English and usually spelling, but we all have those words that just foil us every time.

SteveP - Happy Birthday!  I would sing you a song, but I think Tag sings better.  How is he, btw?

Halllar - that is a lot of driving.  Like flying, driving far is exhausting, though I have never figured out why either of them should be, given that you spend most of your time sitting.