Masters Running

Thursday, 12/10 - I'll kick it off today .... (Read 489 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Morning gang.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.   It is so warm and dry in our basement that I got to feeling sick to my stomach towards the end.   Was hoping for 4 miles, but the stomach said no.   But hey, 3 is better than what I've been doing!!  Big grin

Mom could not get the packing out yesterday.   Her BP was too high and they were afraid they could not control the bleeding if they took it out, so they sent her to her primary doctor to get that corrected.   Now tomorrow morning I take her for the 2nd attempt.   Her spirits are a little down yet, but she'll pull through this with our help.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hi Mary!  I hope your mother feels better shortly and that tomorrow goes well.

This morning I ran 10.15 miles.  30 miles already for this week.  (I've been forward-loading all the miles this week, because I don't know how the snowy weekend will go running-wise.)  The plan today was to alternate easy miles with Marathon Pace miles after the warmup.  Miles 3, 5, 7, and 9 were run at 8:33, 8:25, 8:22, and 8:27.  The MPs felt comfortable but the HR may have been a bit higher than I'd like.  But that's okay as it was pretty warm and humid out there.

I packed all my ski clothes just in case.  My carry on bag is bursting at the seams.  I'll rent gear up there if we do go skiing.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP was that a good or bad end to the day? 

breger1 have fun on your trip.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Morning, gang!!

{{{{{{{Mary and Mary's Mom}}}}}}}} - give your Mom a huge hug for me.

{{{{{{{Denise}}}}}}} - hope this is a better day for you!

Leslie - congratulations on the 50K PR - wonderful!! Wish the wind hadn't been a factor.

Bill - hope you get the opportunity to go skiing!

Twocat - I don't know how you do a 2 hour commute.  I'm not happy with my 30 minute commute.  I was spoiled in Michigan - living only 8 miles from work.

It's almost balmy here this morning (high 30's), but it's quite windy, and I wimped out with a treadmill run.  7 miles @ 10:14 and 152 AHR.   We're supposed to dip down into the teens tonight, so it will be another treadmill run tomorrow morning.  I skipped the weights yesterday (bad me), so I'll have to brave the winds at noon and go do a make up workout. 

Anybody finished with Christmas shopping??

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Larry—funny carpet delivery story yesterday.

Deez—hope today’s a better day for you.

Mary—hope your mother’s condition improves

My sympathies to all of you suffering from the snow and cold. 

5@8:09 for me today.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mary - good luck to your mom.

Sue - Please rephrase your question - anyone start Christmas shopping yet?

Anyways, 10 miles on the TM this morning.  This time it was the Good Housekeeping holiday issue with the cookie recipes.  Was the water dripping off me sweat or drool?  You be the judge.

Mary, same thing just happened to my Mom, except that she waiting to have her knee operated on.

Tramps-  I sent you an email about the table at your gmail address.

7.64 windy miles today, 1:07:37

Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Mary’s mom}}}

Breger – good move.

Sue – Usually I really am done by now, but I've been busier this year.  I’m done with all the far away relatives, everything shipped, and extended family (nieces here in town) but still haven’t finished with my own kids.  I’m hoping to finish next week with some after-work forays.  The stores just get too crazy close to Christmas.

Wildchild – no, DH had not fallen asleep on the couch, but had gone to bed early, assuming I guess that I would put the kids to bed when I got home, since I’ve been getting home somewhere between 8:50-9:20.  According to DS, on most nights when I’m gone, DH has been retiring early to the bedroom to watch UFC fighting.  

Jlynne – I think it is wonderful that you volunteer at a homeless shelter - you have a heart of gold! 

Leslie – if not the June 50K, there’s another one I want to try on August 21 http://www.fmfhome.com/gt50k/   You can stay at my house, the race is only 15 minutes away, we could run it together at whatever pace you want.   I’d love to have someone to run it with.  Tempted yet?  Anyone? 

{{{Deez4boyz}}} – very stressful, although I’m glad no one was hurt.

The power went off yesterday for a bit and I forgot to reset the alarm, so I woke up too late for a longer workout.  I did this on the TM:

1 mile WU

(5 minute slow-to-fast segments – 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 7:30)  x  4

(1 min. @ 7:30/1 min. @ 10:00)  x  5

plus CD made 5.5 miles

Tax training got out early last night, so I got home at 8:30 – time enough to do not only the obligatory yelling at the kids for the mess (DH in bed again), but also time to laugh until I had tears in my eyes with DS (I love his sense of humor), and to lay snuggling in the dark with DD as she asked me probing questions about genetics (ex-why do I have blue eyes and your eyes are green?) while I tried to formulate answers that a 7yo could understand.  Kids are kewl.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My fears about the crazy schedule this week seem to be playing out in a way I'd hoped they wouldn't.  I knew I'd be tired from a late concert one night and an even later rehearsal the next, but I'm exhausted.  I took today off from school to sleep in and hopefully get in a long run in the afternoon, but I slept until 11 (!!!!) and feel like one of my infamous cold/sinus infections might be coming on.  It's only 12:30 and I'm feeling like a nap is the only option at the moment.

Missing one long run in week 6 of a 26-week first-marathon plan in order to head off a cold won't set me too far back, will it?

(Thanks for listening to the subtly-disguised whine.)  Smile

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

TammyinGP

Hi everyone! Today is my Friday so trying to get a lot done. I realized today that I won't be working any more Fridays this year! YAY!

My son's 10th bday is tomorrow and we are doing a family dinner at the restaurant of his choosing tomorrow night, then he's having his bday party Saturday afternoon, and then we are throwing a Christmas party Saturday evening, so decided to take tomorrow off so I don't feel stressed and rushed with all the prep work. It'll be a busy few days, but all fun stuff, so I'm looking forward to it.

will hopefully get in a run at lunch time today. It's still very very cold here, but sunny, so no reason not to run outside I guess.

Tammy

Tardy congrats on the greta race, Leslie.  Hope you are able to take up Holly's offer--that would be fun!

Your poor mom, Mary,  That must be so uncomfortable for her.  Good luck today.

Just want to echo what Jlynne said yesterday, and add an "Amen."  Truly.

BQill--When do you get back?   I have a date in Clermont but am staying farther south and thought I'd be able to see you on my way to the Everglades.  Maybe next time!  Have a grand time in my old home wolverine state.

Sounds as if there is a fair bit of stress out there.  Hope you get the run in, Francesca and that everyone has some moments of peace and joy today.

Oh, we had the Annual Jingle Bell Run last night--my running club goes out at 6 pm and runs around town with bells and lights.  We do NOT sing songs, but try to bring some fesitivity to our community.  It was below zero, but we still had a good turnout, with dogs along, too.  5 miles for us, which is pretty good considering that D. and each had on 5 layers (mine were: coolmax, silk, windshirt, fleece and primaloft ).  It was hard to move, but once we got a push, the momentum carried us along.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Missing one long run in week 6 of a 26-week first-marathon plan in order to head off a cold won't set me too far back, will it?

(Thanks for listening to the subtly-disguised whine.)  Smile

Eliz

No, plus a bad cold will interfere lots longer.  Take care of your voice.  (Do you use a neti pot on your sinuses?)

You're always a treat to read.

Masters 2000 miles

Holly, Holly, Holly - Are tempting me more than you know.  I'll have to give this serious consideration.  However, Coach has the last word in what I will be allowed to do.  He already told me I wouldn't be doing anything until after summer, so maybe I'll have to put this on my list for the following years a "destination" run.  Hmmm . . . .

{{{Eliz}}} - Take care of yourself.  Sickness will do you in a whole heck of a lot more than missing a couple of runs.

{{{Mary's Mom}}}

Nono - Chico is about 70 miles from Redding.  Wanna come out and run Whiskeytown with us?  They offer a 50k, 30k, and an 8-miler.  Karen and Coach Bill both said it's LOTS of steep climbing and steep descending, so be prepared.  You can check out the profiles here.  Anybody else wanna come?

Well, I turned my alarm off at 4:30 in order to get up and do my cardio/strength/core - - - and The Hub woke me up at 7:00.  Guess I needed the sleep.  And oh boy did it ever feel good!  Will try to get home in time tonight to at least get the strength training done.

Re Christmas shopping - Thankfully, we don't have to do any.  Our Christmas was our trip in October and new bed, currently there are no kids in our immediate family, and we all decided years ago to call one another on Christmas instead of sending gifts.  Yea!  So the only gifts I need to buy is one for our association's toy drive and for my other office's Christmas party.  Easy peasy!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Holly, I just crack up to think how much you do what I do. "obligatory yelling at the kids" I love it. And when I come back from work trips, the boys tell me "Dad doesn't do anything when you're gone, mom. He just buys pizza for dinner and goes to bed." Yeah, tell me I couldn't figure that out when I got home and saw the place! The thing that I find disappointing is that they don't pick up the slack. I mean... they're 17 and 15 and should be able to SEE the mess... shouldn't they?

{{Denise}} so sorry about your stressful day, and adding to the stress of that other woman. You are such a sweet person though, I'm sure you made her feel a little better just by being you. Really. It doesn't take much to escalate a situation like that until it's downright uncivil. No need for that, right? Take care, get some rest and the storm will pass.

Steve, that pisses me off (and especially DH). Sometimes after a big snow, I'll struggle to get the car up the driveway (sometimes takes me 5 or 6 runs at it) and put away. Then I come upstairs, and find DS1, DS2 and assorted BFF's sitting around playing Tour of Duty on the Xbox. I about come unglued. Then I get "Geez mom, why are you so crabby?"

{{Mary's Mom}} that sounds just miserable. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Have fun, bursting at the seams Byll! Like Steve said... pack a sweater.

Got my car back last night (after just one day at the shop) and it is so nice to have it heating up properly and that damn check engine light is off. Finally! Can't believe how hard that was to diagnose and it was something with a turbo bypass valve or whatever. DH laughed when he saw "Hooter Valve" on the shop report. So now I have heat (yay!!) and no more turbo hesitation/surging. Amazing what almost $600 in repairs will do for an old car. Merry Christmas.

Got home way too late and tired to run, so made pancakes for dinner, and had some lovely zinfandel while reading magazines and went to bed early.

[ETA: Leslie, I like your approach to gifts... I think we're getting there. The kids each get to pick something they want plus they get a couple of surprises, DH and I get each other little stuff but we spend on house things, trips, bills, etc... immediate family gets consummables like wine, fancy mustard, sardines (my dad), chocolates, etc]

BQill--When do you get back?   I have a date in Clermont but am staying farther south and thought I'd be able to see you on my way to the Everglades.

Aamos, we're just going to the cold, snowy country for a long weekend.  I'll be back in town early next week.  When are you going to be in the neighborhood?

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong