Masters Running

Saturday Daily, 12.22.12 (Read 333 times)

Mariposai

Greetings from Quiindy, Paraguay!This is my first post since I arrive here. Internet connection is a luxury in this rural town.

Being in my hometown in December is giving me the opportunity not only to enjoy being with my family, but at the same time to have the chance to enjoy a second summer. We are exepiencing record temperature around here, which is kind of nice if you don´t plan to run in it.

Many of you may remember me running a solo marathon in my hometown last time I was here, well I did it again this time around and once again I came in first and fricken last as well Clown.

I am very happy to have finished my second Marathon Quiindy (a non sactioned marathon) today running through communities in my hometown where I have never ran before. 26.2 miles in 5:29 on hilly route and very hot and humid weather. Of course I came in first , and I had the awesome feeling of cutting the ribbon at the finish line and I have pictures to proof it too. This marathon took me over the 2000 miler mark today!

It was around 80F plus high humidity during the last 10 miles of my run. I almost gave up, but the support I received from my DH, my sisters and nices and nephews kept me going. The kids took turn to run with me one street block at the time until the finish. I also was able put into practice all the wisdom I received from Spareribs and Twocat when I ran with them the Boston marathon this year when the heat was also record high.

My family had a ribbon and ballons for me at the finish line!

Cheers to all!

Mariposai.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tamy, nice picture.  Twocat, good luck as you continue with the orthopedist.  evan and rhoon, it sure is cold where you are.  rhoon, I'm one who would not have considered camping in those temps but I did enjoy the pictures of your hike.  Jay, I'm glad to hear you're better.  tomw, it's always good when one of us old guys shows up a kid.  C-R, great job in your 5K on an icy course.

Nice long runs for Mike, opie, Tramps, and maine.

This morning, the icy roads and winds sent me to the TM in the basement.  It was 8 miles at a 10:54 pace.  I'd never make it in AK with evan and rhoon.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Mariposai, congrats on your 1st place marathon today!  Can't wait to see the pictures!   Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family in Paraguay.

10 hilly miles around the neighborhood today wearing screw shoes -  the first 4 with my best furry running buddies, then back out for another 6.  The mountain trails are too snowy to run so I'm stuck with the local dirt roads till spring now.   Not so bad, really - gorgeous divide views from my  neighborhood, and virtually no traffic.  And I can still run trails down in town when I do lunchtime runs.

Time to go clean the house  - my sister is coming tomorrow!  When we were kids, we made a pact that we wouldn't have to clean our houses when we went to visit each other when we were grown up ... but I do anyway, because I like having a clean house once in a while!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

That really was a nice run, Posie.  It's really cool you had such great support along the way, too.

Well, I am very disappointed in myself.  I never felt good enough for my run, today.  I let one stupid night out ruin a whole dang day.

But, the guy I was out with for most of the night is a somebody I work with...he's like 3rd in command...in a company with 10 people.  But, still, he's very good at what he does.  He feels exactly the same way about this company that I do and he confided in me, last night, that he is planning to leave and start his own business...and he wants me to come along with him.  I wouldn't normally be interested in taking such a risk, but I am so miserable there that I think I'm going to.  But, as miserable as I am there, I feel really bad for the company because it is really going to hurt the owners...both professionaly and personaly.  Anyway--he told me not to tell anybody, but I had to tell somebody and you guys are the only people I can trust...I cam trust you...can't I?

Okay--that's it--gotta go lie down, again...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nancy - nice finale for more than 2,000 miles in a your Boston Marathon year.

Will you have time to do it again next  year before you come back'/

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Bushrat Runner

Posai, that's awesome. I would love to run that with you...logistics might be a bit over the top, but it would be a wonderful time. Then you could still get first but not last!

I ran today, up and down the basketball court again. Wow am I sore still from Thursday, I actually suspect that I'll be less sore this time around, feels as if the second run might have loosened up some of the tight whiny muscles from last time.

The frozen chickens are making noise about trying the aborted campout again, so we might be going for it in the next couple days. Never know.

Bushrat Runner

Erika, just remembered you asked about booties for Choco. When he is raring around he doesn't seem to do too bad even down to -20, but when his paws haven't been trimmed he gets iceballs between his toes, so sometimes he starts chewing the ice out. We usually put booties on him when we are going out in these temps for a long time, like a long run, but I forgot the other day to dig them out. He is a standard poodle.

Marathon Maniac #957

I am very happy to have finished my second Marathon Quiindy (a non sactioned marathon) today running through communities in my hometown where I have never ran before. 26.2 miles in 5:29 on hilly route and very hot and humid weather. Of course I came in first , and I had the awesome feeling of cutting the ribbon at the finish line and I have pictures to proof it too. This marathon took me over the 2000 miler mark today!

My family had a ribbon and ballons for me at the finish line!

Well done!

Erika - wine, cheese, kitchen gadgets - my kind of gifts..Smile

Mike - glad your furnace issue was so easily resolved.

13 miles for me on Saturday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika, just remembered you asked about booties for Choco. When he is raring around he doesn't seem to do too bad even down to -20, but when his paws haven't been trimmed he gets iceballs between his toes, so sometimes he starts chewing the ice out. We usually put booties on him when we are going out in these temps for a long time, like a long run, but I forgot the other day to dig them out. He is a standard poodle.

Troy, whew, I'm glad I'm not up there in the winters anymore or you'd probably have me running around barefoot too. Actually, probably except when it is a sharp cutting ice, wolves run around all winter in extreme cold without any adverse effects so dogs, even a standard poodle, probably develop the same kind of tough paws too.  Have you ever compared Choco's padding to the malemutes and huskies up there, or wolves if anyone brings one in?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)