Masters Running

I think it’s Friday 5-18-18 (Read 35 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Early because I had to be at the plant for a start up at 5:30 this morning.  Of course it’s now 7:15 and I THINK we’re getting close.

Congrats 🎉 to bioguy and daughter.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Good luck wrapping up, Stumpy.

...Congratulations bioguy//............you will now get Free Medical Advice for the rest of your Life......

and

not all of it asked for

I had a similar thought before I read this.  Congrats to both you and your daughter, Bioguy!

Yesterday's ride got rained out and it's still raining out there today.  Fortunately, it's perfectly okay to run in the rain, so I did.  5 miles.

Sigh.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning guys and all to follow. Tramps - from your cartoon post, I'm assuming the hockey game didn't end the way you were hoping it would? I didn't stay up late enough to see the end. Sorry.

Another congrats to David. That's a nice chunk of money to start off his college career. That young man will go places

A beautiful morning here. 49° blue skies and not much wind. I managed 4.91 miles at just over a 14 minute mile. I have great respect for Jay, who can do these in 10 or 11 minutes. I thought I was booking it, bud I'd be standing still compared to Jay!

Question:

Has anyone heard of/tried cryotherapy? My DIL's mother swears by it. I've heard folks get relief from tendinitis, arthritis and spinal stenosis. I'm not sure if this is quackery or there are truly some benefits to this. I'm also not sure I could spend 3 minutes in a tank of beyond cold temps! If someone has tried this, I'd be really interested to hear what you thought.

Can't run the Cellcom this year, but I volunteered to do traffic control for the 5k tomorrow and work the food tent on Sunday after the race. The weather doesn't look too promising for Sunday.

Have a great Friday everyone, and happy birthday Jay!!

coastwalker

Mornin' Stumpy, Tramps, Jlynne and everyone else.

Good luck with the start-up, Stumpy.

Thursday’s workouts:
          Dave59 (2 TM miles at the gym [2nd at 9:00 pace] + weights work)
          Holly (5.5 morning miles in 62° temps)
          Tomwhite (40 min on the bike in single gear with hills)
          Fatozzig (5 morning miles in foggy/drizzly)
          RunnerKSA (2.25 non-Fitbit walk on hills and sand)
          Mike (7 miles)
          Falconfixer (EZ, rainy 3 miles)
          Jlynne (1 hr on the elliptical + 15 min on the rowing machine + 25 min of weights)
          C-R (3.17 mi. race)
          Tammy (3.2 post-work miles)
          Evanflein (5.3 EZ evening miles on tired legs in mid-50s temps)

Lots of rain running going on around here - Twocat won't be happy!

Dave - most of us are slowing down, and most of us keep working at it. And it’s still good stuff.

Holly = slug (so not true!).

How’d the kids do on the AP exam, Enke?

Fatozzig, most of us (me) tend to forget about the value/importance of easy workouts and push too hard too much of the time and wonder how in the world we got an overuse injury.

Driving on the left with the driver’s seat on the left would leave me dizzy too, KSA.

Congrats to your daughter, and to you too, Bioguy!

Congrats on your presidency, C-R.

Congrats again to David, Tammy, for his hard-earned scholarship successes.

7.0 RW miles on tired legs this morning in 57° humid, windy weather, and with a sore right foot from the 4X8 sheet of pegboard I dropped on it last evening, but happy to be in a new AG.

Big grins and tailwinds to everyone racing this weekend!

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Happy Birthday JAY!

Awesome 7.0 race walk miles -

Happy Birthday and congratulations on the presidency Norm.  Good luck!

I can’t get too mad at the FitBit for missing the flights of stairs since I got a ton of flights driving the Jeep on the hills.

1.5 mile hilly walk with my husband this morning.  This is our last day here.  Ready to ship son back to Philadelphia.  He is in a very stressful business lawsuit and is pretty unbearable (not unusual for him).  A week with him is too much time.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

Up and out at 6:45 a.m. to beat the heat of the day (but the humidity was brutal at 95%) 3.1 miles of up and down and around the neighborhood. A couple of bunnies hopped out of the tall grasses and crossed the road in front of me...but that was it for exciting wildlife adventures this morning.

Trails Rock!

Dave59

A humid 8 miles this morning. Started out doing a run/walk type of thing but I couldn't keep up with the running part. So I switched to a heart rate run. Once my heart rate hit a certain level (145) I would walk until it went back down to a certain level (125).  That caused a very slow pace but it means finishing while still standing and it leaves me feeling good at the end instead of being sick all day.

There is no science or reason for the numbers I picked other than a vague desire to keep my average heart rate in the mid 130's.

TammyinGP

I wonder how much medical advice though Bioguy will need from his ob/gyn daughter?? 

short day in the office. Closing up shop at 11:00 and the boss is making us all go and have fun and drink beer. It's bowling day! 

Tammy

Happy Birthday, Jay and nice 70 x .1 mile run.  New age groups are fantastic!

Erika – chilly mid-50’s temps, eh? Just remember it’s still about a 90 swing from your January!  It has been a cold spring until this week.  Leslie, we have the sun held hostage now in MN and are keeping it!

Bioguy - congrats to Sarah on her degree and future in Wisconsin. I'm anxious to read that poem also.

Leslie - I don't like cats because they make me sneeze, but Mr Mr is gorgeous.  Does he shed everywhere?

I am working until noon then off to the Cities to spoil take care of the grandchildren while they celebrate their anniversary.  Maybe we will have time to go online to book a few camping weekends (or else we will end up in the Wal-Mart parking lot somewhere). We could always go to Olson Park here in town, right on my running route, close to our boats, garden and nice comfy bed.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

bioguy

I wonder how much medical advice though Bioguy will need from his ob/gyn daughter?? 

short day in the office. Closing up shop at 11:00 and the boss is making us all go and have fun and drink beer. It's bowling day! 

Hopefully none!

bioguy

I wanted to post the text of the part of the commence speaker's address to the audience. Dr. Freeman Hrabowski is the President of UMBS, University of Maryland Baltimore County. He is a quite gifted speaker, but I was really struck by a poem he read that was written by a 20 year -old student who passed away suddenly in a dorm room on the campus.

"I value life because I realize that too many people waste it. I smile because I realize that too many people cry. I laugh because I know too many people take things too seriously. I lead because too many people have been led astray. I teach because so many people are ignorant. I speak because people need to listen. I listen because so many people have been ignored. I have fun because too many people are always busy. I live for a purpose, because too many people have died for no purpose. I love because too many people show hate. I keep trying because too many people give up. I appreciate what I have because so many people take it for granted. Life is beautiful."

Jamie Heard

Anyway- very rainy an wet here; hopefully I'll get out for a bit.

Happy Birthday, Jay!!

That's beautiful, Bioguy.  And congrats re your daughter.

Starr - He does shed, but not as much as Chico, our orange/white cat, probably because we brush him on a daily basis or his fur gets really matted.  Chico, on the other hand, is like an explosion of fur 24/7.  I haven't found anything that works at grooming off his excess.

Nothing today.  Have a 11+ mile trail run planned tomorrow on a new trail with some new running buddies.  Should be fun.

And speaking of Saturday plans - the associate I work with tried to talk me into working tomorrow.  Nope! I have plans.  He was fairly "crestfallen."  Apparently, he didn't believe me when I told him (numerous times) that I won't work like we did 2 yrs ago and work weekends, unless it's absolutely necessary.  Saturdays are for running, Sundays are for The Hub.  End of discussion.

And with that, I should get some work done. Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy New AG-birthday, Jay, . . . and thanks for reminding me me too. yippee

happy to be in a new AG. 

Tammy - you've got David winning the right kind of 10K's, that's for sure.

KSA/Holly/etc. - why doesn't anyone ever go somewhere I've at least heard of.

KSA - any pictures?

bioguy - very moving Jamie Heard self-eulogy.

Kind of reminded me of those days too.

However, trying to revise to nowadays 50 years later turned out to be too depressing. .

8-mile bike - after missing last year because of errant innards that were still months away from being correctly diagnosed, the annual May Bike-to-Work Day became Bike-to-Everywhere Day this year.  However, the Starbucks Headquarters way station was still able to provide my annual cup of warm milk strongly flavored with coffee and sugar and, at the next one, Back-Alley Cycles got some errant gearing enough back in place too that it's got me thinking about adding to this summer's repertoire a couple more short, mini-triathlons that I've been reduced to doing one a year of ever since retiring in 2005 from the longer IM's that were starting to require some serious training I'm not willing to do.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

. . .  cup of warm milk strongly flavored with coffee and sugar . . .

Have you been talking to The Hub about my coffee??

Have you ever had one of those cases or projects that, no matter what, you seem to just continually muck it up . . .and over and over and over??  I just want this one to go away.  Nothing's gone right since the beginning, through no fault of the client . . .

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance