Masters Running

Chilly Sunday, 1.8.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice start to the Fudgicle Series and your associated runs to get to 10.1 yesterday, Deez. I hope the Ladies Luncheon (sounds so formal) was fun.

Good 8 miles on the TM and indoor track, Jlynne. DW's birthday is also Jan. 13 - popular day! We're likely heading for a weekend in Portland (ME) to celebrate.

Funny story, Mike. I hope the wedding was good. Did you decide which marathon to do?

Good 3.74 miler in chilly weather with the running club, Spacity, and congrats on the almond win!

Good 8 mile pull from the bag, BerthaSlayer!

So, Flats, how far did you get on 800 calories?

Good 5er on the TM, Holly. Are you doing 20 today or next week?

Nice 6er in the snow, at any speed, Paul.

Nice 10er on the McKay, Leslie. I hope the sprint from the falling branch didn't set your hammy back.

Nice 6.6 on the TM, Catwhoorg.

Thanks for the non-race report, Tammy. Sorry about the points loss, but remember that it's only a game.

Good job of still streaking, Enke, even if your mileage was short. The Robotics thingy must be a blast for the kids.

Thanks for volunteering at the wrestling tournament, C-R. How'd you do on the TM?

That's a challenging challenge, Starr! Good job in the pool and on the bike, even if it wore you out. I'm glad you had a lazy afternoon.

Twocat, watching movies in front of a roaring fire sounds like a better plan anyway, regardless of the road conditions.

Good 11-miler Mariposai. I'm friends with a woman who runs a homeless shelter here, and they don't so much have the 'wet-dry' issues as they have overcrowding issues. Some nights, they've had mattresses on the floor so folks would have a warm place to sleep. It's never easy, and so a big THANK YOU for working so hard to make it work.

Great photos of your adventure, Steve. Sure does look cold!

I did another 1.5 miles on the indoor track yesterday, after my morning outdoor walk, and then hit the indoor farmer's market and TJs (which was very crowded because we had snow in the forecast!). When I got home at a little after noon, there were well over a dozen kids playing pond hockey or just having fun skating on the pond across the street - Buying that pond was one of the best investments our conservation commission has made.

5.3 walking miles on snow-covered roads (we got about 3" last night) in 9F temps and a WC somewhere around 0. Now that I'm back, and after I finish my coffee, I'll head out for a quick snowblower workout, and then come in for another cuppa joe and some breakfast. DW and I would love to go snow shoeing today, but 3" won't cut it. Maybe we'll go for a stroll around the pond. And later today we'll also have our fireplace going...

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Good morning.

I managed 3.3 miles today on my tm and it will just have to be good enough. My hip has been acting up the past month (sciatica from work) and it was speaking to me today in an angry tone.  Since I return to work tomorrow I figure I better let it have it's way today and cut my run short.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Wow -- I stay away a few days and feel so far behind this group that I won't even try to catch up! Now my theory is that everyone's back due to New Year's Resolutions. This is always the worst month at the gym as well with a lot of newbie signups. One nice thing: this year my Medigap plan will pay half of my gym membership rate at selected places, including the Y (which is not convenient) and Planet Fitness, which is where I regularly go. So instead of $10/month (already a bargain, IMO) it's now only $5.

It's darned cold here this weekend, but once again the snowy weather has slid on by to the south. If this continues, it will be the third winter in a row with fairly low snow accumulation, or at least no big snowstorms.

Starr - Michael Pollan would love your diet. One of his maxims is "Never eat anything that your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food." Of course, that might have to be changed to "great-grandmother" or earlier for the younger generations. In any case, my DW and I try to go that route as much as possible, but are not fanatics about it (did they have pizza in my grandmother's day?).

Catching up on workouts, Friday I did 4 miles on the TM at home. Today I was hoping to run out at my club's monthly run, but it was something like 12F with a -10F real-feel. I'm tired of numb fingers and toes in those conditions, so went to Planet Fitness and did 4 miles on the TM there. Was that wimping out? I dunno -- just getting too old to want to suffer, I guess. I'll leave that to Jay...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Yowsa, Tammy, that’s a lot of snow.

Mike—funny parent tale.

Nice race + , Deez

Spacity—that does sound like a nice run; and a bag of almonds, too!

Leslie—big snapping branches…or whole trees coming down…definitely get your attention! Been there, done that.

Mari—that is tough work.  Good of you to volunteer.

Starr—interesting plan.  Eating simply always sounds like a good approach. Good luck with it.

Steve—always love the pup pics.  Seems like he’s having a ball.

Jay—pond hockey!  Cool.

Bertha—ouch; hope the hip improves.

Doug—yeah, it’s those resolutionistas.  Oh wait…that’s me. ;o)

We got about three inches of snow yesterday, our first of the season. It was packed down on the roads today and a little icy in places.  Not bad, but enough slipperiness so that my gimpy knee was not happy.  I had planned 12 but was aching by about mile 8, ran/walked a couple miles, and called it a day after 10.  About 15F with the winds whipping up a storm by then too, so I was kind of glad to wrap it up.  Reminded me of how hardy some of you are who regularly deal with real winter weather.  (In contrast, this was the first time I’ve had to wear running pants this season…and we’re back in the 60s by Wednesday!)  Also reminded me that I need to make some new screw shoes, since I tossed out my old pair that was falling apart.

We’ve had quite a few coyotes this year.  They howl at night sometimes and, during the summer when our bedroom windows are open, they can be loud enough to wake us up.  Every now and then we see one during the day trotting across the back yard heading in or out of the woods.  Yesterday, after the snow, I just happen to spot one coming across the yard and I dashed to the bedroom to watch him come right by that window—just 4 or 5 feet away.  What a beautiful animal.  He looked very healthy with that fluffy, grey, wolf-like appearance.  I was thinking about him again today on my run because the dirt road in the woods I was on was covered in tracks that--along with the usual deer tracks--I suspect were coyote tracks, though they look a lot like dog tracks.  Very cool.  The woods in the snow were gorgeous.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

20 miles for me today - it wasn't pretty but I got the distance in. The first 5 miles were outside in 6(feels like 1) degrees, but my face was frozen and the bike path is not plowed and is too icy, so I did the last 15 on the TM watching Man on Fire, and part of The Equalizer. Love that Denzel....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

I realize I keep forgetting to come back after my run to post. So I'm always playing catch up. 9.2 miles on the TM yesterday with 5 x .5 mile repeats at 8:00 pace. Did three .1 mile "sprints" or "striders" at 7:30 pace in the last full mile just to speed things up a bit. It seems like I can't do the longer treadmill runs like I used to. The repetitive stride (no terrain variations) leads to various aches and a stiff back.

Doug, that is cheap. Our Planet Fitness is $25 per month and DH has had that membership for years, but he rarely goes. Makes no sense to me. He can take a guest for free so we used to go together before we had the rec center membership on campus. (yes, we have both)

Tramps, not sure I'd recognize the difference if they weren't side-by-side. I've seen wolves in Denali National Park, but nowhere else.

I also was wondering how many miles 800 calories got you. Hope flats comes back and reports in!

Only eat what my grandmother would recognize? I think that's stupid. My grandmother loved making rich apple and peach pies, topped with huge scoops of vanilla ice cream, and big beef roasts with potatoes and gravy, and waffles dripping with butter and maple syrup, etc. Not exactly a healthy meal plan. She wouldn't recognize Thai food, or Indian, or any of those other things I love. Frankly, I think the best diet advice is: "Eat Real Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants." There, 'nuff said.

Mariposai, that's good work you do for your community. The problem of homelessness is terrible and the resources to address the problem are stretched thin. It's largely a "hidden" problem here, especially in the winter, but our rescue shelters are always full.

Holly, good for you for getting that done. I just don't know that I could do 15 on the treadmill, but that's what the plan might be. It was supposed to warm up a bit today, to a high of -9° but I heard something about windchill that didn't sound good. The bike path got plowed yesterday though, so it's tempting to think of an outdoor run. I'll keep the TM as "Plan B" though cuz I'm really not all that tough. 

..was 8-degrees

when we got up

your work-outs are Impressive,

but today

The Sign Up Ahead reads: Welcome To Wimpville

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

but today

The Sign Up Ahead reads: Welcome To Wimpville

+1

I'm with you today, Tom. 3.5 miles on the treadmill at the Y. Not feeling the love today. I went bowling with the grandboys yesterday and just found out one was up all night tossing his cookies. No wonder I'm feeling carpy today. On the couch, under a blanket right now. I see a nap in my future....

coastwalker we have a local farmer's market here too on Saturdays. I was wondering if it would get cancelled yesterday given the snow. They held it. I cannot imagine very many people attended. The roads were horrendous. They even had to close I-91 (which is a bit "north," of here but really east and a tiny bit north) in both directions due to multiple car pileups.  Odd that the farmer's market was open since the local grocery store closed for the day.

Tramps we have coyotes in my area too. I so wish they would take down deer rather than just small rodent sized critters.

Totally frozen out today. But the roads are clear. Nevertheless, lacking evanflein's fortitude for cold weather running, I decided to do 8 miles on the TM. I now have the IQ of a large armadillo but a warm armadillo.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Afternoon all. Got a little over 4 miles with friends on our favorite trails. It was cold but really pretty in the afternoon.

More wrestling stuff today. It was a grade school tournament. Those kids sure work hard. Gives me a kick in the pants to not sit still. Fun to see.

Love a good bargain roch.

Nice run Holly. Way to grit it out and I've only had one Denzel movie I didn't enjoy (the one where he was the airline pilot - forgot the title) but the rest have been excellent.

Thanks for reminding me Jay. We have a winter farmers market on Saturday close to the house. Need to go there more often.

We have more coyotes in our city lately. Lots more construction so they are roaming. Only saw deer on our trail run today.

That calorie run sounds fun. Another option to keep things interesting.

Off to Mass.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

15 miles on the TM?  That's stamina!

Shorty and I don't eat much processed food, unless you count canned veggies.  He was on a cold cereal kick for quite awhile, but has vetoed that from his diet for now.  Not sure I'd survive the "no dairy" thing since almost all my breakfasts consist of fruit, yogurt, and almonds.

When we did our Idaho, Montana, Eastern Oregon trip in October, we saw a wolf outside the Blackfeet Reservation in MT.  Stunning animal.  Have also had the opportunity to see a few coyotes in our travels.

6 slow miles this a.m. in not too bad conditions until about the last mile or so when it became a steady rain with some wind.  I tell, coming back from very little running for almost a month sucks!

The Hub is roasting a 10-lb pork butt and our house smells wonderful.   Then I have two cookie sheets full of tomatillos, peppers, onion, and garlic to roast.  Once it cools, I puree, then freeze it.  It's a wonderful addition to Mexican dishes or anything you to give a little "pop," too.  The Hub added some to some split pea soup he made this past week - DEE-Lish!

That's about it on this end.  Going over to a fellow runner's house this evening to see if I can be successful giving their cat a pill so they can go on a trip in a couple of weeks.  If I can't do it, I'm gonna recommend they hire someone from the vet's office to do it.  We used to have to do that when one of our old kitties had to have subcutaneous fluids.  Hopefully this cat doesn't try to tear me up.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good luck "pilling" that cat Leslie!

Holly - you're amazing - 20 miler like that.

I did 4.5 miles on the treadmill - it's about 41 F and raining, but just too much rain and WIND, you know?  I'm back on pace for a 100 mile month, if I only average about 3.3 miles per day.  This was day 8 of the streak...maybe that is kind of obvious!  Just feeling a little tight in one calf but nothing else really so I think I can do this.  I believe I may have lost a pound or two since Christmas, but I refuse to get on the scale until I am sure I am several pounds lighter!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

The wedding was nice.  The problem was that it was a 2 1/2 hour drive one way.  We would have stayed in the hotel but I had an obligation at church this morning, so we left the reception a little early and got home a little late.  But, we're both glad we went.  The neighbor boy seems to have gotten a pretty nice girl and we know she got a very nice guy.

I still haven't decided what marathon to do.  Thanks for the suggestion, C-R, but I've already done Indiana.  It will be nice when I'm done with the 50 states so I can do whatever marathon I want.

We still had all of our Christmas decorations up and we have both been dreading taking everything down.  When Debbie left to do the grocery shopping, today, she asked me to pull out all the boxes and she would just take things down a little bit at a time during the week.  I decided to surprise her by quickly taking down one of the trees and putting all of it's ornaments away before she got home.  Well, that backfired on me because that just inspired Debbie and, while I did my run, she took down the rest of the decorations including the decorations off the 2nd tree...which meant, instead of relaxing after my run, I had to take down and box up that 2nd tree and then lug all the boxes of decorations back under the crawl space.  But--it's all done, now...and I'm having a margarita.

I did 8 miles on the treadmill.  Like Posie--this is the longest run for me since Portland.

Okay--gotta go.  Is the weekend really over?  See ya!

Mariposai

Totally frozen out today. But the roads are clear. Nevertheless, lacking evanflein's fortitude for cold weather running, I decided to do 8 miles on the TM. I now have the IQ of a large armadillo but a warm armadillo.

You crack me up.

Holly, way to get your 20 miler in! You are one tough runner.

Enkie, what a great challenge you have. 100 miles in January. You go for it, girlfriend. You can do it!!!

Lori, great pictures yesterday!!!

Rochrunner, way to go with that Medigap deal of paying part of your gym membership!

Tramps, nice call in making your run shorter than plan. The wind part sounds brutal.

Jlynne, take care of yourself. The crud is going around.

Yes, FLATS, were are you??? We want to know many miles 800 calories got you Smile.

Well, it is snowing hard here. Lovely, actually. Did run 5 miles then did some snow snowshoeing. A good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm in southern AZ, and it's warm! Today I ran 13 miles on the dirt roads near camp in shorts and singlet! Saw lots of ducks, some loons, and two egrets.

When we were in Joshua Tree Natl Park last week, a healthy looking coyote kept hanging out across the street From our campsite, waiting to try to get the dog food that was out. Drove my dogs nuts.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.