Masters Running

12.24.15 The Night After The Night Before The Night Before Christmas (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Terribly sad news about LaT's husband, John. Yes, cancer sucks.

Looks like some good runs and other workouts yesterday by Stumpy, Slo, Deeze, Marj, Aamos, Spacityrunner, Leslie, Evanflein, TSelbes, Mike, and Mariposai in deep snow.

Good to see Milktruck popping in!

Sorry you're feeling bad from head to heel, Twocat. But there is a lot of rain in the forecast for the next few days, so I doubt you'd be running much anyway. Rules are rules...

On our travels on Tuesday, I was reminded how much I 'love' the stop-and-go traffic in NYC. Getting into and out of Brooklyn wasn't hard, it was just painfully slow. But we had a good visit with DW's 88 year-old aunt, so it was worth the effort. We stayed overnight with one of DW's sisters near where we used to live in NJ, and yesterday morning I went for a workout through our old neighborhoods from 18 years ago. It was in the 50s, and the fog was so thick that I couldn't see much at all. My headlamp barely cut through the fog, but I had it on more to be seen than to see. I still managed 8.75 good RW miles on the old streets. We drove to Long Island later in the day, and will be here till Saturday. It was 60F when I headed out this morning, which is just absurd for this time of the year in this part of the country (and nothing like Evanflein's forecast of -30 for tomorrow). The fog was here too, but not quite as thick as yesterday. I just couldn't get into a good rhythm no matter what I tried, so I called it a day after only about 3.5 miles. So it goes...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

moebo

Good morning!

Glad your trip is going well, Jay, despite the traffic and fog. Sorry your workout today didn't go too well--I'm betting your next one will be much better!

I just got back from my fastest run in quite some time--5 miles at an average 9:01 pace. I realize this is slow for many of you, but it's blazin' fast for me! I actually wasn't really trying to go faster than usual at first, but when I saw a couple pf sub-9:00 miles I couldn't help but try to make the whole run a quick one. Too bad my Garmin lost the signal right at the end (during my final sprint)--I suspect  it was enough to make the whole run average out to under 9:00 m/m, but I'll never know... 

I got to NH late in the day yesterday and will be spending the next week here with BF. My DS and DD are arriving later today, leaving on Saturday morning. I am looking forward to a quiet holiday tomorrow, with lots of eating and movie watching.

Merry Christmas!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

once again I have no run yet but I am going to plead recovery mode from the marathon.

I checked in here last evening to read the news about John. I still can't type his name without my eyes filling with tears so please forgive any typos. When Ralph qualified to run Boston, LaT and John graciously offered us a place to stay for the night before the race. They welcomed us despite hardly knowing us in real life.  John showed us his art and, although I understood little, Ralph was intrigued and fascinated.

Life is fragile and fleeting. And so I will honor John by living life to the fullest. I will honor LaT by following her example of unselfish giving. She is generous and thoughtful and I will be a better person if I can emulate her style.

I hope to report a run tomorrow.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sayhey! MM#130

Oh Rosie, you said it so well, and captured the essence LaT and John.

Looking forward to to dropping by later and see what's going on with you all.  Ten+ this am, with 3 RTs on the bridge, greeting the sunrise with running friends.

Have fun!  So grateful to have today off w/ DH.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

I haven't met Kirsten yet, and I'm sorry I'll never get to meet John, but they sound like lovely people.

I'm enjoying my time with DH and DD here in Mexico - lovely quiet family vacation.  We wish DD's fiancee could have joined us, but he's traveling in Israel now.  They've set their wedding date for next September, and we couldn't be happier for them.

Another H&H run yesterday, but I'm not complaining.  I can hit 2000 miles for the year if I just run 4 miles a day till New Year's eve - sounds pretty doable!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Christmas Eve, Gift!!!

It was a tradition in my MIL's family to see who could call one another first, and when the other person picked up the phone, you said, "Christmas Eve, Gift!"  Last Christmas was the first Christmas we didn't get that call, but Shorty and his sister are keeping the tradition alive with one another.

The weather this year across the country - what a switch-up, right?  It's supposed to get down to 29 degrees here tomorrow night.  Say what??  That will make for a very chilly run Saturday morning, and I know a portion of that will be through standing water since the McKay always floods with heavy rains.  But I actually have someone who is going to run with me, and I'm doing a bit of a happy dance!  I haven't had anyone to run with since Karen left, so we'll see how this goes.  I've never met her, but we're both members of the FB Humboldt Women Runners.  Lots of other members run with each other, but for whatever reason, it's never worked out for me to run with any of them.  When I ask if someone wants to join me on an LR, I'm always honest about my slow pace and until this time have never gotten any takes.  Don't know if that "scares" them off or what, but we'll see!

Today though - 6 predawn miles in about 40 degrees this morning.  I got a few minutes from the house and was thinking, "Wow.  That's some massive wind . . ." but the trees weren't blowing very much. . . and then it hit.  A big hail squall.  I tucked myself up against the wall of someone's house, and their gutter hung just far enough out I could get out of the worst of it.  Waited for it to end, scooted back to the house, put on my rain jacket . . . and then it rained for maybe 5 more minutes.   (Hey, Ribs - I tied the jacket around my waist . . . but eventually rolled it up and stuck in my back pocket of my vest.

I'm looking forward to the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at church tonight.

Merry Christmas, friends ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Christmas Eve, friends!

Our church offered a service last night, which was very nice, and that left me free today to begin (yes, begin) figuring out tomorrow's meal, going grocery shopping, and cleaning the house for company.  I am also supposed to put in a 5-hour workday remotely, but  I may spread that over the weekend, and will likely work more than that.  Unfortunately, the end of year work deluge on top of the regular end-of-month work deluge has me quite frantic.

I did hit Redbox to pick up The Man From U.N.C.L.E. for our family movie tonight.  FINALLY, an evening with both kids home at the same time.  They are certainly growing up fast.

Carlyn - enjoy Cancun!

Twocat - Hong Kong, wow, your travels amaze me.

Erika - We may pay for the warm weather with a bitter cold January and February, but those months are usually like that anyway, so I am fine with that.  I know that March is only 3 months away, so this year winter will likely feel very short - awesome!

7 miles for me this morning in a brisk and breezy 46 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all.

Yes, it's springtime in New england.  There was an article in the paper this morning about how all the cherry trees on Boston Common were blooming.  Even bees out and about .

3.1 miles around the lake in 50°.  This was my first third day in a row on this trianing plan and I was supposed to go slow.  But ended up at 9:10 average.  Must be the sneaky fast day, Moebo.   I won't complain.

Just opened the package from Amazon with the new skillet that DW wanted, only to find that it had been packed with no padding and a piece of the handle had broken off.    So we'll see how the return process works.  Annoying.

DD and friend are heading across Texas today intending to spend Christmas at the Grand Canyon.  A LOT of long, staight driving.  I gave her a $100 gift card that I got for filling in a survey for something or another that i deal with at work and told her that I would like her to spend it on Christmas breakfast wherever they end up and make sure to tip enough to use the whole thing.  Hope it works out.

Merry Christmas all!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

spacityrunner

Well said RCG..

Enjoy your vacay WildChild

Stumpy:  anytime I have had to return something to Amazon they have been stellar to work with.  I send them an email and I normally get a response in minutes.  Hope you have the same experience.

A beautiful sunny day here in the village:  68f and no wind.  Headed out to a little local trail with some great views and managed to pound out 3.3 miles in 40ish min.  Just stunning.  In a bit I will get in my kayak and enjoy my lake on such a beautiful and warm day.

Trails Rock!

BlazinCajun

Somebody say my name?

I realize this is slow for many of you, but it's blazin' fast for me!

Sorry to hear about John as well - will keep your family LaT in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Brought my youngest daughter to the track for her first repetition work out. Hard to believe the temperature was F° 78 the day before Christmas.

Six more days of running left - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Andrew

Andrew
                      ------------------
                      God, my Lord, is my strength;
                      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                      and enables me to go upon the heights.
                      Hb 3:19

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 6 on the treadmill while FaceTiming with Mikey and his twin girls.  One was dressed in a bumblebee costume and the other in a zebra costume....and they were fire-breathing!  They are so dang cute.

Okay--I gotta go.  Somehow, I have to wrap 4 presents for Debbie without her seeing me.  Oh, why do I wait until the last minute?  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

Moebo and Stumpy - I think that is pretty fast!

Spacityrunner - Kayaking in December - cool!

Jay - some days are like that.

Rosey - love seeing you here again!

Amy - how is YOUR weather?

Leslie - Hail - yikes!

Blazin - nice to see you!

Mike - just grab a roll of wrapping paper and tape and ostentatiously say that you will be in the other room and would like some privacy - she won't bother you. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

,,,just stopping in to let LT know she's in Our Prayers......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

LaTortuga my deepest sympathies. It has been a long tough road. May you and your family find peace.

Holly S. I am not really a big fan of traveling, despite the fact that I have to do quite a bit of it. It is way less fun if you are doing it alone and for business.

mrrun I have to admit, I typically end up tossing fennel fronds. But, they do work well in soups, stews and as part of a set of vegetables you set around a roast of some sort. As for thyme, the actual expert is probably Mariposai. She has occasionally coached me on their use. In any case, thyme goes really well with roast anything. Sprinkle on vegetables before roasting. Great with chicken. Take some stalks toss in the chicken cavity. Then take a few and insert under the skin. Include a another spice or two like rosemary and basil. After that roast as usual. Like fennel fronds, thyme also makes a great addition to soups and stews. Basically, anything hearty.

I did an hour on the elliptical today. Followed by some stretches for my Achilles and then iced it. Cold is still hanging on. I am beginning to think I am in for another week of hacking and coughing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I checked in here last evening to read the news about John. I still can't type his name without my eyes filling with tears so please forgive any typos. When Ralph qualified to run Boston, LaT and John graciously offered us a place to stay for the night before the race. They welcomed us despite hardly knowing us in real life.  John showed us his art and, although I understood little, Ralph was intrigued and fascinated.

Life is fragile and fleeting. And so I will honor John by living life to the fullest. I will honor LaT by following her example of unselfish giving. She is generous and thoughtful and I will be a better person if I can emulate her style.

That's really beautiful, rosie

Dear laT - so sorry about John’s passing  too. 
                                I still remember back to Christmas 1963 when the same thing happed to one of my parent’s friends and how broken-hearted and despondent they naturally were in the otherwise festive Christmas holiday season.  Somehow, I’ve thought of how sad they were during every Christmas I’ve been lucky enough to have been here ever since.  I know it will be the same about you, and John,  too from now on.  You are such a cheery presence herein for so many of us, your lively little ditties, swimming across Walden Pond (even if Thoreau didn’t), etc.  John was a lucky guy, and you too. God Bless you both.
                                ps - thank you erika.
                                It’s almost Christmas midnight over here in Japan now and, after a full day of meetings with the only Christmas memory seeming to be a quick photo with a couple of other staid businessmen in front of a large single-page-per-day calendar fixed on “25" on their conference room wall, I was kind of feeling sorry enough for myself I decided to forego the crowded trains or expensive taxi and walk dragging a 50-pound roller suitcase of materials the four-or-five miles to a hotel change on the other side of town. .
                                Christmas was all-but-forgotten until the two block or more long red brick building of Tokyo Station came into view bathed in rotating blue and red lazer lights plus a promenade of more than 100 trees wrapped in strings of white Christmas tree lights,, to say nothing of several outdoor vendors with Santa Clause hats, some college youths donned in them too in Tokyo Station.  It was all topped off by sushi with Several Santa Claus chefs too.
                                Merry Christmas to all

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)