Masters Running

How do you know (Read 258 times)

coastwalker

...when age is slowing you down, and what do you do about it?

A little history: I'd been a runner since the late 80's, until nasty bunions forced me to stop running and start walking about 4-5 years ago. After surgery, I stayed with walking, and started racewalking. My times improved as my technique improved, as one would expect of someone at almost any age. But I seem to have plateaued of late.

I've had a goal time of 32 minutes for a 5K, and came within a few seconds of that goal at the end of May. Since then, I've raced 2 more 5Ks, and missed my goal by about 25 and 40 seconds in each.  So naturally, (or perhaps, unnaturally) I wonder if, at age 61, I've gone as fast as I can go. How do I know if it is just a matter of training harder (or perhaps smarter, in my case...), or that no matter what I do, these legs just won't move any faster than they do now?

I know I'm an old fart, and had I kept on running, would surely accept the fact that my best times are long behind me. But since I'm fairly new to racewalking, how do I know where the performance up-curve that comes from training and technique improvements meets the performance down-curve that inevitably comes with aging? I suppose the reasonable answer is to stay focused on that goal until I reach it, or I can truly deduce that it is beyond my reach.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not complaining, and I'm not the least bit upset or bitter about getting older and slower.  But I wonder how one knows when they are tilting at windmills, rather than chasing attainable goals?

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jay,

I don't know the answer.  I wonder much the same at times.  But I believe the journey is what's important.  Keep training and enjoying what you're doing.  You'll likely get the goal, but if not, your life will have been enriched by the journey itself.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

This isn't your answer but it made me think of a question I asked a very long time ago.

I think I was about 10 or 11 maybe......That would have made my Mom around 32 - 33. I asked her..."When do you feel like your grown up?"

She answered......."when I get there I'll let you know?"

That answer never made sense to me at the time but boy can I relate to it today !

When you break your 25 - 40 secs down to a percentage the difference is actually quite minimal and could easily be explained away by distance, hills, traffic etc.

I know race walking is fairly  technical and technique orientented and wouldn't be suprised if it takes 3 - 5 years to reach that plateau. Once there I'm not sure what stimulus would be required to move forward though.

Henrun

Jay, I don't think your best times are behind you.  I've gotten a couple of PR's at 64 with no speed training after 10 years of running.  It's hard to know if I'm faster or the weather/race conditions were ideal.

Race walking is more technical then my running (go out and do it) and as SLO said there may be a learning curve.  Are you making your time for 2 miles if so it may be a matter of training for 4 miles, so the 5K will come easier.  Or try to find a flatter 5K as there are mega hills in NH

We're going to be racing the 8/15 in Lamprey - can you do that also?

Good luck!  Marj

Jay, I don't have an answer but, at age 65 have had the same questions.  I consider my best year the year I was 62, about my 7th year of running.  I hope to keep running for the health benefits and keep going to races for the social aspect.  If I have a good race, it's a bonus.  Keep up the good work and I hope you get some more PRs.

TomS

coastwalker

Bill, I absolutely agree that the journey counts for as much, if not more than races.  I love my racewalking, and would be out almost every morning, even if I had clear evidence that I was slowing down. For one thing, my DW would force me out, 'cause I'd be miserable if I didn't get my workouts!

Slo - Did your mom ever say when/if she grew up? I'm sure I'll get there some day too! I know there are plenty of ways to explain the relatively small times by which I've missed my goal in different races. But I really don't like making excuses - I've either done it or I haven't.

Marj, Most of my weekday walks are at least 5 miles, so I've got decent endurance. I just haven't been able to keep my stride rate as high as it needs to be to get my time down. I always feel like I get sloppy in races when I'm trying to maximize my turnover rate, and that sloppiness does me in. We have two relatives getting married over the weekend of Aug. 15, so I'll be running between weddings instead of walking in races. Do you have any other races planned in this neck of the woods?

Tom, I think you have a very healthy approach to all this, and it is clear that you enjoy yourself at all the races you run, almost regardless of your finishing time. I like that!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...jay//.......good thread......

.......with increasing problems from old injuries, for me The Training IS the point.......

speed and racing only mean ''more injury''......

.so I guess, like the Old BackPacker Motto ''Hike Your Own Hike''

mine has become ''Run Your Own Run''

......as long as you're enjoying it,

you're doing it right.......

....................Wishing You Good Work-Outs.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Well, I just started less than a year ago, am loving setting goals and attaining them.  Since I started clear at the bottom, I had nowhere to go but up.   That having been said, I think part of the answer may be in the training.  I think using all the smart training you can come up with pays dividends at any age, but it is even more important if you have many years under your belt.  For instance, I have thought that if I get injured, I will not heal as fast a a much younger person, so it is more important to follow the rules of good health.  I have been looking sideways a little at race walking, swimming, and walking itself as a possibility for myself.  In the mean time, I read and discuss all the tips I can find, and try to be consistant in my training schedule.  I set goals that I think are possible, and love it when I get there, but am not adverse to changing them.  That is all the jems of knowledge that this ol' wannabe can think of for now.     Woods lady