Masters Running

Cruise Intervals Question (Read 391 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I’m checking out this plan from Runner’s World called The Ultimate Marathon Training Plan (I'm thinking of putting together a hybrid of the Advanced and Intermediate plans) and I ran across something I don’t understand. On some days the plans call for something like this: 4 X 1, 200 C or this: 2 X 1, 200 C or this: 3 X 1 mile C or this: 4 X 1 mile C Where C is Cruise Intervals, with the following explanation: "Cruise Intervals (C): For 11-minute MGP, run 9:56 (1 mile), 7:49 (1,200); for 10-minute MGP, run 9:02 and 6:47; for 9-minute MGP, run 8:07 and 6:06. Recovery is half the distance of the repetition." I had thought that cruise intervals were excellarating up to a brisk pace, say HMRP, and keeping that up for 5 minutes, then decellerating for a few minutes, then back up there for another 5 minutes at HMRP. Anyone able to clarify this for me, at least as far as what the above workouts mean?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, Forgive me for giving you more of an opinion rather than an interpretation of the RW workout you asked for, but I think you could benefit greatly by just doing the miles at HM pace. It’s simpler, and from my experience one of the most effective workouts I’ve ever done. However, I recommend taking only a quarter mile recovery jog, or even as little as half that much recovery. You have the mileage base to handle it. Also, I think you could eventually work up to 5-6 reps. Remember you’d be doing them at your HM pace, not somebody else’s, so it’s not as hard of a workout as it might sound. In fact, most people find it easy enough that they end up doing them too fast, which I do not agree with. That’s it…at least my answer was somewhat related to what you asked. Btw, I can’t believe you are making this post after the Boston experience. You are hard core! Shocked
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Holly, I probably won't answer your question well either, but I second what Jim is saying. I see more improvement in my own running and that of others when you do this as Jim suggests. If you build the intervals up over time and consistently hit the mark at your HM pace, the marathon results will show it. Too many will blast all their interval workouts at full out pace and that doesn't work as well for marathon training. It's something different if you were training for a 10k, but for the marathon, nothing beats time on your feet and the ability to sustain a comfortable hard pace over long periods of time. So how's that for avoiding the cruise definition? .02 Karin
          Holly, I've been looking over the Runner's World plans and I think I know what they are saying to do.
          "Cruise Intervals (C): For 11-minute MGP, run 9:56 (1 mile), 7:49 (1,200); for 10-minute MGP, run 9:02 and 6:47; for 9-minute MGP, run 8:07 and 6:06. Recovery is half the distance of the repetition."
          Translated: Let's assume your Marathon Goal Pace (MGP) is for a 9:00 min/mile pace. If the day's plan calls for Cruise Intervals of 1 mile in length, run them in a time of 8:07 and recover at an easy pace for a time of 4:03. Similarly, if the day's plan calls for 1,200 meter Cruise Intervals, run them in a time of 6:06 and recover at an easy pace for a time of 3:03. If it was me using this plan, I'd convert those 1,200 meter times to an equivalent pace and follow that pace. It'll be very similar if not the same, as the pace for the 1 mile Cruisers. Whew! Complicated nomenclature. What I would stronly suggest is you follow what Jim and CNY have said. They are two of the finer runners we have around here. They know of what they speak. Cruise Intervals should be run at your HM pace (the slow end of tempo). Many people make the mistake of running tempos and Cruise Intervals too fast. Run them at the right pace with sufficient (but not excessive) recovery and you'll see your stamina and endurance improve greatly. Hope this helps! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

HermosaBoy

Or just do tempo runs... Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, I get it now. I was reading it as 4 x 1 and then 200C When it was saying 4 x 1200 C Duh. Thanks gang, for the input and advice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

.. Btw, I can’t believe you are making this post after the Boston experience. You are hard core! Shocked
                Holly; this might not have come across the way intended it. I should have inserted "so soon" following "this post". I thought you might at least take a little breather first. Anyway, translation is "I'm Impressed!" I was worried you might get discouraged but obviously that ain't happenin.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marathon Maniac #957

Jim - I'm not jumping immediately back into marathon training, but I was thinking that I would probably do the Air Force Marathon again, which is September 20, and so I would start a 16-week plan at the end of May or early June, so I'm browsing plan ideas for that now. Also, on the flight back from Boston, I was talking to another Dayton runner who used the Ultimate Marathon Plan to get a 3:20-ish and really liked it, so that's why I've been looking at that one.