Masters Running

Cheyenne Mountain 50k Race Report (Read 27 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy's and Paul's RRs prompted me to write one for my race also!

The Cheyenne Mountain Trail Race offered three distances: 10k, 25k, and 50k.   There were 94 finishers in the 10k, 69 in the 25k, and only 34 in the 50k.   The course is sort of a figure 8, with two different loops for the 25k.  The 50k just does this twice. Each loop goes partway up the mountain and back down to the start/finish area.

I went with four friends; 3 were running the 25k and two of us did the 50k.  We rented an Airbnb in Colorado Springs for 2 nights and had a fun girls weekend.  Here's a picture of us at the start, with Cheyenne Mountain behind us.

The race was in Cheyenne Mountain State Park.  Fun fact:  Cheyenne Mountain is also the home of NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense Command) , in an underground chamber inside the mountain, built during the cold war.

As you can see from the picture, the weather was gorgeous.  In the 40s at the start, but I ditched my jacket in the first mile or two.  Highs were in the 60s by the afternoon.

Since the 25k and 50k started together, all of us ran together at the start, close to the back of the pack.  There were some speedy folks in this race, and we're all older and slower.   The three 25k runners got ahead of me and Eve by the end of the first loop, but we didn't try to keep up.  They all finished their race in around 3 hours, +/- 10 minutes.  Eve and I finished our first 25k in about 3:15, and our friends cheered us on as we started lap 2.

We stayed together for part of the next loop, but Eve got ahead of me and we ran on our own after that, and I hardly saw anyone except when I came back through the start/finish area on my way to the final loop.  I definitely walked more on the second half, but I felt fine and was enjoying being out on the trails.

I finished in 7:14, and was 2nd in my AG (out of 2) and 32 of 34 finishers.  I was also the oldest finisher in the 50k!  And I wasn't DFL.  A nice way to start the racing season!

The aid station food wasn't great - just snack foods like M&Ms and peanut butter pretzels, and PB&J sandwiches.  No pickles or boiled potatoes like Tammy's race.   But it was a small, cheap, low key race, and there were 3 aid stations that we passed a total of  11 times because of the looped nature of the course, so that was a plus.  The finish line had pasta salad, which was excellent. No beer, but I brought my own.  Here's me and Eve after the finish.

Thanks for reading!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MurrayM

Sounds like a great trip and a great run. Especially appreciate the blue sky photos with smiling, happy people 

I still have dreams of going 50K...thanks for the inspiration!

Tramps

Congrats!  Great start to the season, indeed!  An excellent race and wonderful report with beautiful pics. Loved it.

All those smiling faces; you must be doing something right.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

your weather sounds just like mine was - 40's the start, mid 60's by finish. perfect running conditions imo!

boo on your aid station food! a 50K definitely needs more than that!

The day, the race and a girlfriends weekend sounds epic though! Congratulations on your finish time!

Tammy

Great 50K so early in the season, Carolyn! Sounds like everything went OK except aid station food and having to BYOB -- what's up with that? Is it weird at all to think of what's going on inside that mountain while you're running near it?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

LOVE the pictures! What perfect weather you had! And yeah... makes you wonder what's in that mountain. Nice job, Wildchild! Sorry about the crummy food but maybe that's just life with a small event? You did greta!

Dave59

Nice running Wild. What a beautiful place to live and run.

Neat about NORAD! Looks like you had great weather and a fun group out to run with and for support. Well done!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Great race & report Carolyn. This looks like a race that I'd like to run sometime. Actually any race on Colorado trails I'd like to run. I'm really glad you wrote this up.

Paul

Mike E

MM #5615

Awesome report, wild!  Congratulations!

Joe618

Carolyn, that's excellent.   Great pix...for this flatlander, I can only dream of such beauty!!   The race sounds well laid out, even if the food wasn't the best.   Great job persevering through all four loops...who cares how fast you are??   You ran 50K in the beautiful mountains and didn't get in the way of NORAD radar!!! 

Thanks!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Awesome report and pictures!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Congratulations on another 50K!  Sure looks nice there and I am glad you thought ahead and brought your own beer.  Well deserved!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."