Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 7/18 (Read 496 times)

jfa

Watch your thoughts, they become words.

Watch your words, they become actions.

Watch your actions, they become habits.

Watch your habits, they become your character.

Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.   ~ Frank Outlaw

Good Going at SOB Leslie! Even though it was not your best, running 31miles in one day is still a big accomplishment in my book! WTG!

First for me on Saturday morning, I bagged a 5 mile race I had signed up for. Awoke early that morning and glanced at the thermo- 91* at 6:30 am. Flipped on the accuweather and saw that the humidity was 70%. I'm thinking that thin cloud cover breaks and the sun comes out on the mostly unshaded course, I'm cooked. So I did a very sensible thing, I clicked the AC up another notch and went back to bed for a couple hours. Woke around projected finish time (40mins) to see temp was up to 96*.

I'm still going to wear the shirt as a reminder that  a) I'm not completely obsessed , and b) it's a nice shirt.

Anyway, I certainly won't make that a habit! 

20 on the mill today (92* outside).Watched the TDF and World Cup.

~ Good Week All ~

20 miles on the 'mill v. 31 miles on trails - I think it's a push.   Sounds like you made the right decision, Joseph.  96* with high humidity = recipe for disaster.

Besides sore quads and hips and a couple of blisters, I feel okay today.  Still peeved about yesterday's performance, but considering I really wanted to quit a couple of times, am glad I had the mental wherewithall to push through it.

Later, gators -

MTA - Thanks for correcting my error, Stumpy. I was a bit tired when I posted last night.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

20 min on the 'mill v. 31 miles on trails -

Somehow, Leslie, I don't think Joe knows how to do just 20 MINUTES on the TM.....  But I think if I had to pick I'd go for the 31 trail miles.  Not that there is much likelhood of either happening.

4 and a quarter for me up in Maine yesterday.  75 at 7:30 along with the lingering humidity, but I went back and checked--the best pace I've done on this route.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Top 'O the World!

G'marnin people!  Oh wait, I don't hafta talk like some of my runners/crew anymore

Good call Joe! & I think I'll not challenge you on your treadmill antics at this time, K?

Yay Leslie!!!  Woo-Hoo! ....reading stats this wknd - that seems to be a normal thing....You did just fine!!!

Good on ya, Kevin!  After all you've been through, an improving pace has got to feel just awesome!!

Dang Jim!! Doug told me you got some hail  

The Hardrock Hundred is an AMAZING event!! I'm still a bit tired (very little sleep is had by anyone once this thing starts!) but, I'm sure nothing like the runners are feeling this morning!!! I had a great time & learned lots. I recognized several names - btwn RA & other races I've worked/stalked but didn't, until the end, know what they looked like.  And met many more that I hope to see again! The HRH runs through the scenic (very craggy) San Juan Mtns of SW CO. I was at an aid station at approx 58 miles in, just before the most brutal climb of the "run". I tried taking pictures but the camera just doesn't give justice to the shear elevation gain!! (& I'm having trbl w/my browser letting me post any pics - will figure that out later)   It's a very limited (hard to get into)  field of 140 runners + pacers & crew, 13 aid stations & a 48 hr cutoff. Just hiking 1/2 mile of one of the trails was daunting enough! & I live here!  I'm still stunned at the thought of not only running 100 miles of it, but that they continued - many of them for 40+ hrs!!  & several of these nuts have done this many times! One was recognized at the awards for 16 YEARS!!   Truly, I was in awe of the lead runners, but inspired by the back of the packers! One woman, older, slightly stooped postured, not only finished in the time limit, but was honored for I think the 6th finish!

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/HardRockHundred%202010/?start=60

mta: I found this on Trail Runners abt one of the women running this wknd. ESPN was doing a film story of her..hopefully they'll edit out my butt shots of getting her food & stuff!!  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/sports/09ultra.html?_r=3

Heading into a mid 90's day here...I didn't get up early enough to run (other than the treadmill - which I may consider later) so, may do a post sundown short jaunt....I dunno, still gotta unload the car & wash up all the stuff.. 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hey Cindy - Your links aren't working.  Or is it just me.  Chris Gerber from the Ultra Thread did really well, and it was his first running of the race.  Glad you had such a good time.

I haven't had a chance to look back over much - Jim and Lynda got hit by hail??  Anyone have any other details?

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/HardRockHundred%202010/?start=60

mta: I found this on Trail Runners abt one of the women running this wknd. ESPN was doing a film story of her..hopefully they'll edit out my butt shots of getting her food & stuff!! http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/sports/09ultra.html?_r=3

Heading into a mid 90's day here...I didn't get up early enough to run (other than the treadmill - which I may consider later) so, may do a post sundown short jaunt....I dunno, still gotta unload the car & wash up all the stuff.. 

there was an extra http in front of each--let's see if getting rid of it helps?  It does--I'm excited--just can't give them the necessary time to look at at the moment.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Top 'O the World!

OOPS! Yup Kevin, thnx for fixing them!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Nice pics Cindy! That looks like some incredible terrain. I can't imagine what it takes to go 100miles over that stuff, but then again, 3 years ago I would not have imagined I could run as much as I am now. The cool RAer that put on the Muddy Marathon is hosting a trail run of 25k,50k,75k,and 100k in Aug. I'm thinking about the 50k .The thought of the day being 95* is scaring me away, but maybe......  

I was invited to fill in for an injured RAer and compete in a 92m relay race across NJ. River to Sea 15th from Milford to the beach in Manasquan. We're a team of 7 (5 gals and 2 guys) and will run 2 legs each, averaging 5-7 miles. It's on the 31st and it may be super duper hot. Sounds like fun though and it ends about 10 miles from home.

Hope your quads are better Leslie.

Stumpy- Some relief coming your way. Clouds and only 84* today finally got me outside again!

Hey Cindy - Great pics!  Thanks for sharing.

I read an article a few months ago in "Trail Runner" magazine about Diane Van Deren.  Her story is a really amazing one, isn't it?

Oh, Joe!!!  Getting just a leeetle bit closer to taking a bite outta the dark side.  Yee haw!!!

I didn't run tonight.  Too tired.  The quads feel better, but the hips are still a tad sore.

Got a really great email from Coach after my sort of whining  but not really whining about SOB.  He's a wonderful motivator and always makes me feel really a good about my accomplishments, no matter the outcome.  Will be talking with him Thursday about the next stages of my running life and what I'm thinking I want to do.

Well, I'm done with my side job, so it's time for the shower, PJs and waiting for the season premiere of "The Closer."

Later, dudes and dudettes ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hmmm 95* heat huh?.....FYI: the 79 runners of the 2010 Badwater started this am....

Fwding this from a friend:

Yes - my daughter Michelle Barton (bib #17) is in this insane race.  www.badwater.com

It is reputed to be the official world's toughest foot race (probably why she has wanted to do it for a few years now).

Badwater is the lowest place in the USA - 282 feet below sea level.  Death Valley is one of the hottest places in the USA.  Was already 102 degrees around 8 AM when she called me this morning on the way to her 10 AM start from the hotel in the nearby aptly named town of Furnace Creek.  Supposed to get up to 120 degrees today and be 119 degrees tomorrow.

Last year she was a pacer for the famous ultra runner Dean Karnazes and got in 92 miles of running with him in that insane heat, so she kind of knows what she is getting into (no pacers allowed until after mile 17 because it is run on the road with traffic.  She has 6 friends along to take turns pacing her and two vans for this support crew.  For safety during the night one of the vans her and her pacer closely with hazard lights flashing.  She promised me that all she wants to do is finish and earn her BADWATER buckle, which is only given to those who finish in under 48 hours.  Michelle is planning for a 30 to 35 hour time.  Runners are allowed 60 hours max.  I will be driving out to the Whitney Portal finish tomorrow.

The Badwater course covers three mountain ranges for a total of 13,000' of cumulative vertical ascent and 4,700' of cumulative descent.  Starts at -282' and finishes at 8,130' elevation at the Mount Whitney Portal.

As of a bit before 1 PM she was in 22nd place and 4th female (9 minutes behind the #1 female) at the 17 mile point (took her 2:55) where she can start using pacers.

Ongoing times and places are online at: http://dbase.adventurecorps.com/results.php?bw_eid=51&bwr=Go  

Next place and times will be given after runners complete mile 41.  Up to that point the course is fairly flat.  Then it goes up to 5,000' elevation in the next 15 miles.  Puke.  I don't even want to stand in that kind of heat, let alone walk or run. Michelle promised me that she is definitely not going to race this.  Plans to only walk during the heat of the day and trot easy during the night.  I bicycled 45 miles on July 4th and afterwards could not see biking three times that (135 miles) let alone run it.  IF she finishes (buckles) Badwater  I will officially proclaim her the healthiest ever Malewicki descendant in the last 5,000 years instead of just the last 2,000 years!

Sort of a on and off again live webcast can be viewed at: http://www.badwater.com/2010web/index.php

The also have a great 2010 PDF magazine that will give you a flavor for the event at: http://www.adventurecorps.com/downloads/bw/2010racemag.pdf

(Michelle is in picture #7 on page 35 with the rest of Dean Karnazes crew from last year.)

She has had a good year so far in her ultras (a 50K = 31 miles.  Each trail race has different elevation gains.)

March 20th - Oriflamme 50K  - 1st female, 4th overall & a female course record in 4:56

April 17th  - Leona Divide 50 miles - 1st female, 4th overall & a female course record in 7:19:04

May 1st - Wild Wild West 50K - Tied with Mark Mataysic for 1st overall in 4:41:53 & broke the 2004 female course record

May 15th - El Moro 50K -1st overall (she chicked all the guys!) & an overall course record in 3:58

June 6 - Shadow of the Giants 50K - 1st female , 2nd overall & female course record in 4:26:43

Other non-ultra races:

June 19th - Billy Goat Hill Climb half marathon - 1st place female a, 2nd overall in 1:40:36 & a female course record.

April 10th - Irvine Lake Mud Run - she also was 1st female at this wild & crazy run (only 3.8 miles).

flatland mountaineer

Quicky post, 4 this morn before it got hot. IRC but not for long as we will go from 60 to 100 by late aft.

Yes some hail on one of our prettiest fields, half the leaves lost but the charts say 10-20% damage. Will basically cover the deductable. NOt what we wanted but if this is the worst it will be a good summer.

Leslie you did yourself proud!! NOthing to beat yourself up over, huge accomplishment.

gotta run, harvest full swing now.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jim - Glad the damage wasn't any worse.  Keeping fingers crossed that's it for you guys this year.

Cindy - Thanks for sharing the info re your friend's daughter.  I think the Badwater people are just nuts!  My aunt and uncle live in the Mojave Desert, close to Death Valley.  They do the smart thing and leave every summer for the coast.

3.25 recovery miles this a.m.  Felt really good and like I could do more, but I "listened" to my schedule and went home.

Some kind of stomach virus appears to be going around at work.  I tell ya, the new job is a veritable petri dish of disease.  Two folks had pneumonia over the past month.  My mantra - Keep all fingers out of nose and mouth . . . and preferably in that order.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Howdy folks! 

Just wanted to pop in and say congrats to Leslie!  I haven't had a chance to read the whole story, but you finished that SOB, and that's what's important!  Most of the (non running) world may not undertand what a great accomplishment that is, but we do!

Great quote for the week Joe!  Work and other frustrations have led to some thoughts I definitley would not want to become words or part of my character, so time to reframe and focus on the good things, of which there are plenty.

Taking a rest day from structured exercise today.  First time in over 3 weeks, so guess I'm due Smile.

Work deadlines call, so a group shout out to everyone!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Howdy Doo Dee -

SRD for me.  Got so PO'd at Willie Will (aka Wilson), I kicked him out of the house at 3:30 this morning.  It's not as bad as it sounds - we leave our garage door cracked and there are a couple of cushy beds they can sleep on.  Plus, I don't remember doing it, but I turned on my danged alarm last night and it went off at 4:30.  Grrrrrr!  I ended up sleeping off and on until about 6:45 when a couple more cats came in and began insisting on getting breakfast.  One is large and plopped himself down on my bladder.  That'll get ya moving!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey Folks!

I think I'm pretty much done stalking the Badwater folks...still looks like the 75 yr old may be still out there somewhere but he still has a couple hrs to cutoff for his start time....& then I think they gave someone an "honorable mention" last year for finishing after the time cutoff....

Jamie Donaldson (Littleton) came in 1st female, 3rd QA in a new female course record of 26:16:12

Michelle had some troubles but, finished well within the time frame - just not what she was hoping for.

Colorado had 3 in the top 20!  Woo-Hoo!  might've had 4 but one of the guys running Hardrock last weekend (one of the strong leaders) said that he'd gotten into both & when it came down to 'brutal in the desert" or "brutal in the San Juans"  well..... nothing beats the mountains! hmmmm?

Speaking of petri dishes Leslie....whaddya think a house w/toddlers is!?!? ah yeah!  I thought I was having a bit of an over-tired meltdown - ya know, low grade headache, vague nausea....but hey, after a 72 hr "marathon" of driving 870 miles & then staying up pretty much all night serving coffee, soup & stuff to runners & crew, too much coffee myself, woodsmoke (yes, we had a fire) getting down to 35 overnights & up to shorts weather during the day, random hikes up the trail to get good shots, screaming my head off at the finish line & a couple random beers here & there...well!?! I thought it was just event hangover!  guess not...got home & nearly everybody, starting w/the toddlers has had it. No clue where they could've picked it up...they're such fastidiously clean little creatures!  

Cooling off to 88* now so, I think I'll head down to the pub run for a 4 miler & beers....gotta reset my "hangover!"