Masters Running

Weds 1/28 Snowy Runs and Such (Read 674 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

We just got our biggest snow storm of the season here in Central Indiana, about 10 inches right now with the wind causing huge drifts. I ran my car right off into the ditch because I couldn't see where the road really was, but someone from work plowing the dealership came and pulled me out...so much for getting to work early to get caught up Roll eyes As I told Holly last night....please please please tell me a set back with my foot / AT does NOT take me back to square one. I went to the Y last night to do my planned 1 mile walk - 2 mile run - 1 mile walk. ...workout fine and no pain. Then I noticed a Gal friend I had not seen for years on a elliptical machine and thought I would try the machine and talk to her a few minutes. Since I had never used this machine before, she showed me how, but actually I never turned it on, but rather just easily went through the motions as if it were on. I noticed my AT being stretched and pulled, but I thought this may be a good thing.....................NOT. Got off the machine with the same heel pain as when I started this ordeal way back in the Fall, and was limping aound Angry Angry Angry. And, I have been doing so well and being patient with my foot as you all know. Oh well, my foot is sore this morning pushing off, but not as bad as I thought it would be, so hopefully a few days off and I will be back to being pain free runng again...........this injury and recovering from injuries really suck. Elliptical machine and AT..........................NOT A FREAKING GOOD IDEA, so I found out. Was this true with others who had AT, trying to use this evil machine???? Happy running everyone, and hope everyone has a greta Hump Day. Also, BiG Hugs to Sue with her loss. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. one thing for sure.. injuries are frustrating and recovery ebbs and flows. I really doubt you could possibly be back to square one. No snow here. 15 miles of hills in the dark dense foggy drizzle. 2:08:39 (8:35 pace, AHR 151). It was like running blind folded on a treadmill. Could only see the white pavement stripe up to 5 feet ahead. It must have been hilly cause I could feel the effort changes. Pretty wierd run. 42F shorts, tee, gloves, cap and Tikka headlamp.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Ellipticals are Evil Tim. Avoid them ... Nice run Steve. I run in a bunch of fog here during certain times of the year. This morning's plan was to run 10 miles easy having just run a race last Sunday. So easy is how I ran it. But happily, I found myself running MP for miles 4 to the end. Average pace 8:42. Average HR 144. Everything felt okay, though the legs barked a little the last several miles - just to remind me I raced recently. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Good Morning ! Tim Glad that snow stayed low and missed us here in Iowa ! It's still the same weather forecast everyday........Unseasonably Cold. Given that I'm in Iowa and it's January.......thats freaken cold ! Every morning.......-3 to 3 degs......Brrrrrr So today I blew off my swim and stayed snuggled nice and warm with DW. Last night.........2 miles easy.....8:40 then 5 x 1k at 5 k pace. (400m recovery) My pace was a tad slower than what I had hoped (6:50 actual, 6:35 goal) and the last 1k came a little hard but the 2 mile cool down felt really good. Combine that with the 2 easy miles I did yesterday morning for a total of 10.25 Happy Runnings!

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, Tim, take is slow. You will heal. Steve, nice running...I had the same weird run this morning also. I found out that my headlamp is basically useless in heavy fog/mist conditions. I couldn't see anything further than about 20 feet. To make matters more annoying, my earphone kept popping out of my left ear. I changed hats this morning and apparently the beanie helps keep the earphones in better. 10.20 miles of hills @ 9:04 pace...a nice run in spite of all the annoyances Smile

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

{{{Tim}}} No advise here - but like Steve said, you are probably not back to square one - at least we sure hope not! Those wimmin are trouble for you I tell ya!! Evil grin Nice run this morning Steve. But shorts? Really?? Brinkley and I managed to get up and out for 4 miles this morning. It was snowing quite hard and it was a heat wave of 12° already at 5:15 a.m. We were both just covered in white by the time we got home. At one point we stopped just so I could clear Brinkley's face off a little bit with my mittens. 10:14 avg. pace - 162 avg. HR I wore my headlamp correctly too so we could actually see where we were going this time. Tongue Then, down on the floor for 300 various crunches. I had to at least try to burn off some of the fresh perch we ate last night. It's like eating popcorn - just can't seem to stop popping more in my mouth. This weeks weigh in is not going to be pretty. Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Renee the dog

We had snow into the evening last night and overnight it turned to rain. by 1 p.m. it is supposed to be 56 and still raining, so I figure best to be wet with less clothes on...I'm waiting 'till 1. Had my first runningahead dream last night. I was still working in NYC, and had to leave a message for Perch that I'd be back. We were going somewhere to race later... Good runs/rests to all.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Prince of Fatness

We had snow into the evening last night and overnight it turned to rain. by 1 p.m. it is supposed to be 56 and still raining
                  The weather differences we have are amazing considering how small our state is. 4 inches of snow were on the ground when I left for work at 5:30 this morning. We might change over to rain this afternoon. I switched today's run to yesterday so today I get to stay in and do yoga when I get home, then go out and clear the driveway.

Not at it at all. 

Marathon Maniac #3309

{{{Tim}}} Those wimmin are trouble for you I tell ya!! Evil grin
                    Mary...I think you are right Angry. But a lot of it I bring on myself.....like last night, and then my treadmill blunder Roll eyes Nice runs already this morning Smile TBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim - I agree with Perch. Yesterday’s snowfall turned into freezing rain overnight, and when I looked out the window at 5am, I could see the neighbor’s lights reflecting, mirror-like, off the smooth sheet of ice that covered our street. We live on a hill, and I was worried about how I could navigate the turn halfway down without plowing into the parked cars, but fortunately my boss called early and said not to come in to work. (This has only happened twice in 7 years.) DH took the day off as well, and if course school was cancelled. This has since turned back into snow and we have 3” of snow on top of the ice layer and still falling. Lovely to look at, but not ideal running conditions. So, even though this was scheduled to be a short recovery run, what with the extra time on my hands I ran a little longer on the TM, watching Finding Neverland. I love Johnny Depp. CNYrunner – you were so right to cancel your travel plans. This area is barely travelable right now, and I expect you’re getting it worse where you are. Hopefully this will clear out before you get here in two weeks. 10.3 easy-paced miles (10:00) on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Wow, nice run Holly. At the gym this morn, fizzy lifting session, followed by 40 minutes on the eclectical, and then a minimally attended spin cycle. Snow city around here.

#artbydmcbride

Tim, if the treadmill can't get you, the elliptical hasn't got a chance. Take it easy on the stretching for now. 4 miles at the track last night. I have all these weird new twinges in my legs!! Tongue And the weather is getting too hot again!!

Runners run

lamerunner

Good morning! Hang in there Tim... the elliptical has worked well for me but perhaps not for AT issues. 65 minutes or so on the Spin bike this morning. Worked hard. I did another trail run on Saturday. My DD had a ski race at Loon Mtn in Lincon, NH, near some hiking and ski trails. I bought some Yak traks and ran about 6.5 miles on the Lincon Woods trail, just out to the Pemi Wilderness boundary and back. It was slow going even with the Yak traks, as the trail is only minimally groomed by USFS snow machines and hiker/skiier traffic, but I stayed upright and got a run in, and it was fun. They would work better for more groomed trails or snowy roads I think. I did another very short run on Monday ( 4 miles ) with a bit more sciatic pain. Too soon after Saturday I guess, plus there was a lot of driving on the weekend, then 80 minutes on the elliptical. Yesterday was rest, felt tired and my schedule was a mess. More snow today! Kids are not getting much schooling this winter. I get my first shot on Feb 13 so I am hoping to get out more, assuming it works.
                            Mariposai

Visited the TM today. 8 miles total 6x1000m each in 5:05 with 1' rest in between them babies... I have been waiting for this day for over 3 months........ yes indeed......patience leads to victory... where is my belly dancer holly? I sure hope timbo is not thinking that wimmin in RA are trouble makers.......Surprised

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Shorts weather here today too. I was planning on 6 very easy TM miles today, but when I got to the gym the gym owner conscripted me into running outsdie with him. He is a few years younger than I and a 2:40 marathoner so even though I requested an easy pace, we wound up running 7 miles at 7:20 - 7:30 pace. Easy schmeasy for him, but not so easy for me. I did get in a weight session as well. Tim, I agree with Perch and Holly. I doubt you are back to square one. Just take it easy for a few days and let it heal. And stay off the elliptical - no matter how many pretty wimmin there are over there! We had a lot of fog here this morning too, but it is pretty much gone now. Must be very odd running in the fog and the dark. It's a good think you guys didn't get hit by a car. I'm happy to accept snow from anyone who wants to send it our way. If only it worked that way. Okay, there is the fizzy lifting going on again. I continue to be stumped as to what this involves. PBJ come back and tell us!!

Once a runner . . .