Masters Running

Weight, kale is food, too.... (Read 326 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, I'm happy to say that the pound I picked up last week is now gone, and I'm back to my previous unhappy-but-not-completely-uncomfortable weight of 116.5.  112 is my happy weight, where my pants don't shoot buttons across the room when I sneeze.  108 is my ideal, but prolly not going to happen unless I get some terrible illness.  Which I don't want.  There ARE some limits to what I will do to be thin.

Anyway, my chickpea soup turned out really delish, and even the kale recipe was a keeper (although the kids, after their obligatory bite of each, gave the thumbs down - they are so not open to new flavors).  Here's the kale recipe if anyone is interested.

Quick Kale with Bacon and Onions

One serving of this hearty side offers more than your day's need of vitamin K, which helps promote strong bones.

Yield:  6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup and 1 lemon wedge)

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    10 cup chopped kale, divided
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
    6 lemon wedges

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until onion is tender and begins to brown. Add 5 cups kale, 1/4 cup broth, salt, and peppers to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 4 minutes. Add remaining 5 cups kale and remaining 1/4 cup broth to pan. Cover and cook 16 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve with lemon wedges.

CALORIES 75 (36% from fat); FAT 3g (sat 0.6g,mono 1.5g,poly 0.5g); IRON 1.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 2mg; CALCIUM 110mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10.2g; SODIUM 213mg; PROTEIN 3.8g; FIBER 2.1g

I admit that, instead of using olive oil, I simply cooked two slices of bacon in the pot, and used that oil

to saute my onions in.  And you have to cook it the full length, or the kale tastes bitter.  But when it was done it was quite good, and bacony.  Okay, maybe the bacon takes away a little from the health of it, but it was only 2 slices for the entire head of kale, so not so bad.

GOALS FOR NEXT WEEK:  Lose one more lb and make the new butternut squash soup recipe.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

I made kale chips a few wks back (just olive oil and salt and roast in oven til crispy like a potato chip). Both DH and DS gave it a thumbs down also.

I've lost a couple more lbs over the past 10 days or so. I don't keep real close tabs on it, but since using fitday and being more aware of just how much nibbling and snacking I do, I've stopped some of that which seems to have helped. I'm now at a number I haven't seen for probably 11 yrs. I'm happy to have lost some weight during this marathon training cycle, since that's usually not the norm. and at about 5-6 lbs less than I was for Seattle last year, I think I'll feel better this time around also.

Tammy

Dave59

I made kale chips a few wks back (just olive oil and salt and roast in oven til crispy like a potato chip). Both DH and DS gave it a thumbs down also.

Try batter and deep fried.  Maybe that will make the kale taste better. 

evanflein

My DH and kids don't like Kale. They say it tastes like dirt. I'm not sure even bacon could help it, but who knows. But I really dislike bacon even though my kids crave it. Oh well. I disguise kale in things I'd normally put chopped spinach in: spaghetti sauce, lasagna, soups, some pasta dishes... It doesn't always go undetected, but I'm pretty sure they can't avoid all of it so some of it gets ingested by default. Gotta be sneaky at our house.

Oh, I bought some kale and swiss chard starts the other day. Heh. I don't give up easily.

I'm bouncing around all week between 139 and 141. Lots of late dinners and crazy schedules this week... I'm hoping once high school soccer is done and some big projects at work wrap up, that life will settle down at least a little bit.

MTA: meant to say ^5 to Tammy! Good job, and it'll be interesting to hear how you think this affects your Newport run. Although I gotta say, your training for this one has been great!

SteveP

well done Tammy.

. My last Dr told me to get down to 180...I went to a new office earlier this week. This Dr. told me to get down to 170.....Like hell....She repeatedly said, "You're in very good shape........for your age"....I'm on a new allergy med...One of the side affects is a reduced appetite. 201 lbs

SteveP

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

a little stomach bug on Thursday, and I saw 186 for the first time in a long time.  But I also managed to resist SOME of the pizza at friday's Lunch and learn.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.