Masters Running

Race Reports for June 3 & 4 weekend (Read 27 times)

Mariposai

Good luck to this weekend's racers!

May you race well and come back here to give us your race report 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

It was a warm evening for the Hospital Hill 5k in Kansas City Friday night. I was not acclimated to it but the race went okay. My time was 21:20 and I won the 55-59 age group. One of my last races in that age group.  This is now 183 consecutive months with a race.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It was a warm evening for the Hospital Hill 5k in Kansas City Friday night. I was not acclimated to it but the race went okay. My time was 21:20 and I won the 55-59 age group. One of my last races in that age group.  This is now 183 consecutive months with a race.

You must have a pretty amazing collection of shirts/medal/assorted other swag!!  Oh, nice work on AG win, too.   Just what I need--more fast 60 YOs.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Signed up sort of last minute for a local 10K the other day. the weather was looking cooler than it normally has been for this race which is almost all in the sun and nothing was going on at home, so figured I might as well. 

Gold Dust Run 5K/10K at Del Rio Winery, Gold Hill, OR

10K:  1:01:23

but I probably won't get an official time because the timing stuff wasn't working today. They did take pics of the first handful of runners coming in for the 5K and 10K races (which wasn't me), but other than that, I guess it was more of an untimed "fun run". But the RD did say if we wore garmin's to send in our garmin times to him and he'd at least be able to figure out placements for the runner of year points. 
          that was a bit disappointing because I felt I did okay out there today and looking at the other runners in the 10K, I only saw a couple I recognized in my AG and they were behind me. 

Lots of highschoolers, just coming off T&F season usually show up for this race, so here's a pic of 4 running beasts from our HS. The dark haired guy to the right of me, is like my 2nd son. his name is David also and he hangs out at our house alot, goes camping with us, calls me mom. 

Image may contain: 3 people, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature

Tammy

Good job on the last minute race, Tammy. Bummer that the timing stuff didn't work though.Do they give awards and prizes? They should give out wine bottles. So are those rows of grapevines in your picture?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

they did give award to the top finishers in each race, but were not prepared to do "old skool" stopwatch timing to later figure out AG placements.

It's all good though. it was a fun day and had some good peruvian food for the racers afterwards. And free wine, but I didn't partake any of that. 
              Yes, this is the vineyard and those are all the young grapevine rows back there. they are just starting to set their bunches of grapes but are about the size of pinhead right now.

Tammy

Mariposai

I signed up for the Cork City Marathon after the Easy Pacer and I accepted the Twocat's invitation to join them on their Ireland trip adventure.  As you can imagine, this trip was a ton of fun. Every day we visited historic places and drove to see stunning views of the amazing Irish landscape. Ohh twocat and I did have fun cooking for the crew a few nights during the trip.

Training for the race proofed to be challenging because of a series of illness (flu, asthma) I experienced two months prior to the race, so I went into the race with minimal training. My goal for the race was to run a steady pace and finish it in under 4:30.

The course was a little hilly, but very picturesque. The race was well organized and I really enjoyed the local folks coming out to cheer the runners. At the start line I lined up with the 4:30 pacer group, which ended up being all Irish runners and their jokes and chats kept me entertained most of the way.

We all know that you get out of the race what you put into the training, I did not do as many long runs or speed work during this training cycle, so I am very pleased with the even effort an my 4:33 finish time.

Twocat, Chris (a friend of the twocats) and I before the race

Marathon medal #41

The Easy Pacer ran the half marathon was was very, very pleased with his finish time.

The happy finishers Twocat, Mrs twocat, Chris, me, the Easy Pacer

Attaching a marathon with a vacation with friends is the way to go! We had a terrific time and came back home with great memories  that we will always cherish.

What next for my butterfly wings? Chase that sub 4:30, of course Smile.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Impressive racing!

Spinach---183 consecutive months of racing? That's as amazing as your fast finish! Bravo.

TammyinGP---at least you had your garmin on. Congrats on your unofficial AG placement.

Mariposai---what an epic race you had. Congrats on getting close to your goal despite the training setbacks. I am sure you will get that sub4:30 soon.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Great race report Mariposai! What a bunch of great looking guys you got to hang around with!  Having not put anything up myself, I guess that puts me into the race report slacker group. So here goes . . . I finished in somewhat over 2 hours. Yes, I tried to break the 2 hour marathon barrier but, alas, came up short. Plan B was to break the 3 hour barrier. Hmm, no luck there either. Plan C . . . just lie about my time that is the ticket! Problem is people can look it up . . . what to do, what to do? Okay here it is I finished in 3:42:42. I like to go for those repeating time numbers and hit my goal!  Not bad though for a fairly hilly course after a week of boot camp touring. I tell you all that touring really takes it out of you! Day in and day out. We were so busy dinners were routinely way after my normal bedtime. Bummer having such a good time that eating ends up so late. I just know this will get me a lot of sympathy. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

Nothing better then great races with good friends - in whatever country they happen in - continue having fun and writing reports!

Marathon Maniac #957

Spinach – congrats on 1st AG in your 5K!

Tammy – Bummer about the timing issue. Looks like a lovely day and location though.

Ireland racers – well done, and thank you for sharing your pictures with us, here and on FB – what an adventure!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Spinach, you are incredibly fast and have great endurance to have that 183 month racing streak. Well done!

Tammy, the scenery looks beautiful! Congrats on the run, whatever the finish.

Mariposai and Twocat, and Mrs. Twocat and Easy Pacer, your races were all great but I bet the whole package of the trip, visiting, sight seeing, etc is what really made it great. Nice job on an international racing trip!