Masters Running

Sunday Aug. 8 Daily (Read 464 times)

Renee the dog

Hi Masters/Boomers!

Renee and I just got back from an unscheduled 2 miler -- she just wanted to go and I said, "Why not?"  I'm scheduled for some Yassos on the beach tonight just after the tide turns.

Gosh, when there's no breeze out there, 72F and 100%H feels a bit sticky, but still fabulous!  I'm really glad Renee convinced me to go out.

Have a great one!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

The unexpected runs are the best and your's certainly ranked right up there Nono. 

My legs were simply dead, period.   That along with warmth, humidity, and heavy wind made for a very miserable 4 miles.   I wanted more, but it just wasn't in me.    The enjoyable part was when the rains came.  I could hear it before I could feel it and it felt wonderful!   Now for some much need marathon house cleaning.

Happy Sunday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Not much in my legs either, Mary. I cut my planned hilly LR short....almost by half. Just didn't have the legs today....they've been pretty sluggish all week.  My knees and quads are telling me it's probably time for new kicks...I'm up over 400 miles in my current shoes.

Any-hoo: 9.5 hilly miles, 1:33, something like that. Let's try a link to the elevation profile:

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/2nhm8mx.jpg[/IMG]

Hmmpph. Never works for me. Is it firefox? Or EBKAC (Error between keyboard and chair) Smile

Walt

Maniac 505

Not much in my legs either, Mary. I cut my planned hilly LR short....almost by half. Just didn't have the legs today....they've been pretty sluggish all week.  My knees and quads are telling me it's probably time for new kicks...I'm up over 400 miles in my current shoes.

Any-hoo: 9.5 hilly miles, 1:33, something like that. Let's try a link to the elevation profile:

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/2nhm8mx.jpg[/IMG]

Hmmpph. Never works for me. Is it firefox? Or EBKAC (Error between keyboard and chair) Smile

Walt

Walt:

don't know why it didn't work for you,  Here is your elevation looks like a tough run 

15 miles scheduled for me later this morning.  weather is looking pretty good,  60 and slightly rainy.

(Walt's elevation below. )

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Walt that's quite the climb!

3 recovery miles in 27:10 (9:03, AHR 138) making the first 40 mile week since March!

Afterwards I walked Tory and Sadie and DD's dog Kai.  Three 60+ lb dogs worked out just fine until they all were interested in another dog on the opposite siide of teh road.  They dragged me clear across the road until I could finally halt thier progress.  The other dog's owner (who we pass daily) said "the third dog really made a difference!".  They walked fine after that.

Then I ran into my neighbor finnishing up his run. He is running Leadville 100 in two weeks. This summer has been terrible for training and he is a bit concerned. But he has finished WS100, Wastach, and many others so he'll be ok.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

dg.

Perch that's great.    Everything still in working order?

Thanks Dave.  Sounds like very nice running weather.... when is your next race?  I think you posted it, but I can't remember.   Hope you have a nice run.

Walt that was still really good, esp. with knees & quads barking at you....  i'm embarrassed when I look at your elevation thing...  ... I added some hillier areas  to mine too, (and that was part of my excuse!)  which I don't usually do, but now.   well.  ;p,      I think if you take off the IMG part it will post.

Mary at least you got out there!   good for you.   (now I need to tell myself that! ;-) )   

Nono that sounds like so much fun.   You mentioned something about a plan or lack of the other day.  What are you doing right now?  I'm missing too much reading to keep track.  (that & that pesky memory thing....)

I'll join the didn't quite have it crowd, although it was almost better than I expected, I was up for a long time in the middle of the night again, & it's about the 3rd night so how stupid was that?   Started late,    I did have high hopes for the weather.. forecast had been only about 80% H (though they are always wrong about that), but then last night it looked like Tstorms, which I don't run in.   Was so bummed.   Well the H was 100%, but no storms!   I'll take it.  & only 65 to start.  It actually felt pretty nice, must have been the breeze.   I"m about ready to stomp on this polar, will call customer service next week.  I can not get it to calibrate right.  I wonder if they can fix it so that I always remember to hit continue after a stop, & then look to see if it worked!     I planned 16, hoped for 17, but with this toe I do have to play it by ear a bit.   My best guess is a little under 15, I stopped because my left knee & shin wouldn't stop hurting, think I was compensating.   It's ok I guess, because I did add baby hills & explored new areas which was so much fun.  Adding a lot of different kinds of footing too.   The best thing was that I joined up with 2 guys about half way through, one I know & one I didn't, & they were great.  One has run a million marathons, & one was training for an ultra.  lots of good experience & tips, very thoughtful, & lots of fun.   Plus they had watermelon!  Wish there was a good way to carry that while running!     pretty wiped out right now. 

still haven't showered so off I go!   I only saw the end of yesterday's daily..... welcome back Holly!!     enke is running well Big grinBig grin    Dave ran too I think, have to look back & see that.   & Erika & Francesca are amazing. 

I guess its a day for dead legs.

12 miles in 1:56:53 for a  9:45 ish pace. This was one of those days that you have to trick yourself to finish. At mile 3 still not loosened up I'll bail at 7. AT 7 decide to try and at least make 10 At 10 take a walk break with lots of water and decide to carry on for 12 At  10.5 wishing I had stopped at 10.   I did finish it up but the last couple were not pretty.

My quads were screaming all day today and that is unusual for me. Then I rememberd those hills on Tuesday. My quads did not bother me up to today but that is all I can come up with.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

8 hilly miles group run, legs felt a little heavy for me too. Humidity was back today

WTG Renee! 

Mary these tough runs make the good ones that much better   

Walt I had new shoes today, Brooks Ravenna's to replace my Infiniti's with 420 miles, could really feel the difference & it was all good. Still saving the Infiniti's for a rainy day.      

dg hope them pains are very temporary   

Enjoy!  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

That was an Excellent HM time for any course.  But spectaular for that course Erika.  Salud!

I finished off my Cutback week with a tough 12.5 mile run in 82° and 80% humidity.  9:20 pace with 1 or 2 miles near the end at tempo, but all the others easy.  42 miles for the week.  Breathing was easy, legs were fine, but the ole body was overheated and dripping.

I really need to figure out how to cool myself off.  Going off to scour the Internet for cooling techniques/clothing/etc. etc.  Any ideas are welcome.  I wilt in this stuff even of MLR's.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

16.3 miles for me this morning, with miles 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 at (8:44, 8:17, 8:12, 8:12, 8:41) and the miles in between at 10:XX, although I had to take some walk breaks near the end, when I completely ran out of steam, but I was okay with that.  I had already done my workout and the rest was just a little extra calorie burning.  65 degrees at the start felt lovely, although it didn’t last long before it warmed up.  Still, better than ice. 

I’m still not caught up on the daily, but will try to get there tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Thanks Byll and Deb! I'm happy with how that turned out. Also using that as my long run of the week (14.5 total with warm up and c/d). So today will be just 8 and I hope my legs haven't been paying attention to all the "dead leg" comments in here today!

Nice run, Holly! How's your foot? 

Byll, sorry I can't help you on the staying cool stuff. I sweat like a horse in 60° temps, so would die in what you run in most days.

...I tried hopeful's RunHungOver Technique.....

.....I thought I was gonna DIE......

..........then I was afraid I WASN'T.....

this may not work well for me.

==========

got Pickles on a plane to Ireland,

1-went for a 30min run

2-bought beer

3-bought REAL Bread (not the kind that's GOOD for you)

4-bought a box of Cheezits (low-fat)

5-was looking at cigars, but remembered I don't smoke.

6-running buddy and DW are feeding me at least twice during her trip

ok,

I'm ready for the next 10-days

..............good running guys..............if any of you can help Post Bail lemme know....

no reason.

=======

........ps.....dg//.......Good Thinking to .just Play your Toe by Ear

if

it doesn't like the mileage,

it has WAYS of letting you know...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Maniac 505

back from my 15 miler,  nothing out of the ordinary.  DG,  My next marathon is in 2 weeks. It starts in the middle of the Nevada desert near area 51.   A full moon weekend,  the race starts at midnight.

Tom,  If you need an attorney,  I can give you a couple of referals

Dave

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You guys make me feel a LITTLE better about my dead legs (and genreal dead body) today.  5 miles at a little slower than HM pace.  Trouble is, my HM pace sucks .  Hope it was just the effects of not eating much the day before.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

back from my 15 miler,  nothing out of the ordinary.  DG,  My next marathon is in 2 weeks. It starts in the middle of the Nevada desert near area 51.   A full moon weekend,  the race starts at midnight.

Tom,  If you need an attorney,  I can give you a couple of referals

Dave

How cool Dave starting at midnight! At the Ragnar a couple of weeks ago I had a long night leg, 11.4m with the almost full moon...enjoyed that a lot despite the fact I was totally lonely and alone in the middle of cow stinky fields..take away these last couple of details, I 'd love to do a proper night race one of these days!!

I wasn't planning on running today but went with my friend and girls to watch a local 5K race with lots of fast kids running (,in fact one of my DD friends won the womens div with a 17 something ...at age 16...).so we did a little 20 min jog after the race...actually not exactly a jog for me since I was keeping up with my usual speedy running buddy. Amazing, the legs felt great,...good because I still need them for my next running excursion on Sunday.

Now at work,.. have a great Sunday Masters!!!!

Francesca