Masters Running

Friday, 3.11.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice 9er on new trails, RCG. I'm also unhappy about changing to DST and going back into the early morning darkness for almost 2 more months.

Nice run with speedwork, Slo.

Great cartoon, Aamos. I could use some more coffee too.

You don't need excuses for taking some time off, Stumpy. Rest and recover.

I wish those student's rules existed when I was in school, TwoCat. Congrats on the warm-weather, happy legs run!

I'm sorry about all the rain, Ribs, but I'm glad that you and The Saint were still able to get in 4+.

I'm glad you had a good dinner with your friends, Leslie. Yes - you have to find more things to celebrate together.

How do closed fists help your pool running, TW? We tell newbie racewalkers to keep their hands loose because the energy used to keep hands tightly clenched is wasted energy.

There's nothing wrong with sleeping in when you need it, Enke, and apparently you do. Enjoy the daffies!

It sounds like you had a great Thursday, LaT!

Thanks for the stop-by, Mike. Nice 14er.

Deeze, it is great that Steven is making real progress (no, I wouldn't want to go on the ventilator diet), and that you are running again. I hope you both keep up the good work.

I'm sorry your virus is keeping you down, Mariposai, but how good that yoga is working for you.

I decided yesterday that I would not workout this morning. My reasons were that I felt sluggish during yesterday's workout; at this point, I am ready for Sunday's race or I won't be; and we were expecting heavy rains this morning. But I also had an awful night's sleep last night, and so appreciated being able to lolly-gag on the couch for a while this morning. Maybe I can catch a quick 15-min. nap when I go home for lunch...

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Deez, that is incredibly scary stuff. I'm glad to hear that he continues to improve. Here's to a quick recovery!

A very easy 9.5 miles this am.

I'm not looking forward to the DST change either. These last few weeks I've been watching glorious sunrises over the river...now it will be back to always dark for awhile.

...mornin' guys..........

''How do closed fists help your pool running, TW? We tell newbie racewalkers to keep their hands loose because the energy used to keep hands tightly clenched is wasted energy.''

open hands make it easier to push the water,

since

my whole work-out plan ( like carrying handweights walking)

is to make the work-out harder

anything that decreases buoyancy does that

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I also felt sluggish this morning, but did make it out for 3.9 miles in a light drizzle.  Just a few kinks to work out in the legs.

Then I made an attempt to get on line and register for Beach to Beacon 10K in Maine.  Got excited becasue i got so far as being able to fill in the application, but when i hit pay, it was full.  4000 spots gone in 4 minutes.   Decided against doing the lottery for $50.

My guess on the closed fists is that it makes it harder due to less surface area and therefore a better workout?

ETA:  Guess I guessed well.  Morning, TW.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Such good news, Denise.  He'll get his strength back--is that like Spaulding?  And yay to you for getting out for a bit.  Take care of yourself, now.  You're a greta mom.  Say, given that you've been thinking about this topic in general, what's your take on the pneumonia vaccine?

Get better, Mari.

I love a good nap mid day.  sigh, altho I did get to bed at a decent hour last night.

Realized in my new routines here in SW FL that now it is a Sox spring training game that seems to get me "officially" excited for Boston.  Just being around the accents and seeing shirts with Dedham, Fitchburg, etc. on them, along with the adverts along the field I recognize (including one for Northeastern ) and singing Sweet Caroline with the Nation......yup, I'm ready.

Be careful with DST--evidently, heart attacks and strokes increase significantly in the Monday and Tuesday following.  We're getting up to go to Sarasota Sunday morning, yikes!

Ran last night after sitting all afternoon, saw the sunset, then greeted it this am at Lakes Park again.    Farmers' Market setting up this am; nice seeing all the fresh veggies and fruits.

grins,

A

For Tag and anyone else with a canine sense of humor (from Rhymes with Orange):

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

Morning everyone. Busy in here already.

Did a little catching up and so happy to hear Steven is on his way to recovery.

Interesting factoid about closed fists in the pool. Fluid dynamics was always one of my favorite classes. Thanks for reminding me about that.

Well on a personal note, I have shut down running for this week and next in hopes I can get my knee better. Glad I can live vicariously through the exploits in here.

Have a great day all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Well on a personal note, I have shut down running for this week and next in hopes I can get my knee better. Glad I can live vicariously through the exploits in here.

Me too, Norm.  Hang in there!  The last time I thought it felt better and I tried a run, I had to walk the last mile home because it was sore again.  So I think I'll be smarter this time and wait till there's no pain before I run again.  If 2 weeks isn't enough, I guess it'll be time to see a doctor.

Good news, though: we're about to take off on another road trip in our Sprinter van.  We've been finishing up a few van projects to make it more liveable, and we're almost done.  No real plans where we're going - generally south and west.  Utah, Arizona, So. Cal, New Mexico.

Happy Friday, and Happy Trails!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Deez - SO happy to hear Steven is doing better!  Rehab facilities aren't a whole lot of fun, but they will definitely ensure he gets his strength back.

Aamos - Heart attacks and strokes increase the two days after DST??  Weird.

{{{Healing Thoughts}}} to everyone dealing with injuries, aches, and pains.

I did about 30 min of core/ST this a.m.  We're supposed to get a huge storm coming in this weekend, so tomorrow's trail run should be interesting.  I use the term "trail loosely" for tomorrow as we will be running the McKay - a well-groomed logging road.  But there are two places where it floods really easy, and with the amount of rain we're supposed to be getting between today and tomorrow morning, the question will be whether the first flooded spot is running to high to safely get through.  We'll see.

Last week our pastors, Matt and Heidi, attended a conference in SoCal where Photographer Jeremy Cowart was a guest speaker.  Yesterday, Matt posted a video Jeremy has on his FB page that tells his story of overcoming great odds as a child and young adult, becoming a world-renowned photographer, and taking his gift and working to make a change in the world.  Whether your a Christian or not, his story is incredible and powerful, and I would encourage you to take the 25 mins to watch it.

Jeremy Cowart (from February 16)

Have a great weekend, friends.  And fleet feet to our racers ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

C-R and Wildchild, butterfly hugs to you both as you recover from your injury. Good move to let the body rest.

Aamos, love the cartoon.

Slo-Hand, I am with you about the DST. It is hard to find motivation to get out there in the dark. Great job with  your run today.

No running yet, still not feeling 100% . Off to nap again.

Jay, good luck on your race on Sunday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Coupla o' funnies to share.

{{{Posie!}}}

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Liked the dog comic from Aamos and Leslie's Injured Runner one!

Glad to hear your son is on the mend, Deez!

I did not run today, BUT I did bike ALL the way into work, about 12 HILLY miles.  Only took me 1 hour today, not sure why....maybe I hit all the traffic lights just right?  Normally it is 1 hour and 15 minutes.  I will probably BBB home...just to save time.  However, if it is not raining - might be a nice ride home too!

Plan to do a long run tomorrow - long meaning perhaps 6 miles.  MBE can walk Remi while I do this.  MBE and I hit the 9 month mark yesterday - he is so awesome!  He will be coming down to Oregon for the pre and post relay festivities, so some peps here will get to meet him.  Assuming we don't break up before then (not likely!)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five-mile morning walkamute through the cherry blossoms
                          before this morning’s sun turns to weekend rain. 

Liked the dog comic from Aamos and Leslie's Injured Runner one!

.. . .   He will be coming down to Oregon for the pre and post relay festivities:

Me too.
                          However, does Oregon count Portland?
                          KIDS FLYING

When I was six, my parents loaded me on a PanAm DC-3 for a then six hour flight with stops to visit GPs Down Below, or “Outside,” as the lower 48 were called in those days and DD was on JAL for ten hours on her own to Japan when she was eight years old so why can’t GS come down here for zoo, aquarium, dinosaur exhibit, Big Wheel, Space Needle, etc. instead of being confined up there only to the nearby swimming pool, ice-skating on the lake or rink, skiing, field house fun, karate, cub scout camp out this weekend at the old rock lakeside CCC cabin we used to too, walking the dogs on local trails, etc.  oh.   
                          Speaking of flying, you know you were in Erika/Rhoon-land,

even if a little bit to the SE and SW, respectively,

when you think to hear what you thought

to think they were saying

BOARDING
                          “Good morning ladies and gentlemen and welcome to this morning’s flight boarding in about ten minutes. We’ve got a full load and with some moderate turbulence expected (Ed note: extreme turbulence), please take time to visit the rest rooms at this time to minimize on board movement. Thank you.”  For some reason, there was some audible gaffawing. 
                          LANDING
                          “In light of the current turbulence (Ed note: extreme), we won’t be able to do a cabin check and will be on the honor system to make sure your seat belts are fastened and seat backs raised.  Thank you.”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Right On The Button fatozzig//...........Easy with those Ouchies Guys.........

===========

50s and drizzling today

50-min at the City Park Lake with trekking poles

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Real quick--Heart attack/stroke link to DST

Wrote a short-short story if you are trying to get to sleep early.....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Have I mentioned that I love reading your blog?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.