Masters Running

40s, 50s, 60s+ On the Run - w/e 05/08 (Read 659 times)

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." (Judy Garland)

Hey Peeps - Sort of a rest day today.  It was another yard work day, but The Hub was involved, and it wasn't as labor intensive as last weekend. . . . . although I did dig all the weeds out of the gutter along the sidewalk.  One of these days I'm going to bring in a small bobcat or something to dig all the dirt and rocks out so that I can then have someone pour a nice even seam of cement.  Fill in all the deep holes, etc.

Off to bed soon.  Nite -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey folks.

Mtn....the 72 year old grandmother Ernestine is quite inspiring.  And she's pretty hot!

Les..........LMD and I spent most of the day doing yardwork also.  The neighbor girl climb up on the fence and peered ovr yesterday.  She said, "Your backyard is starting to look good."  We've got areas where the grass doesn't grow good......so we've got that going for us.  Good luck with your projects.

Jim.....your running seems like it's coming along nicely.  You've got some consistent long runs going on.  Nice.

Joe...are you getting any of those torrential rains? 

No runs yet for me, but I'm kinda ichin' to get out there today....or maybe tomorrow.  I'm eyeing a half marathon at the end of May. 

Hey Jewels.

Carol.....still swimming?

Hey Stumpy.

Evryothrday caught fish all day long yesterday.  Later in the evening just before dark, LMD and I laid out on the back porch and watched the clouds float around until it started to sprinkle on us.  We're loving these warmer months.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Ev - The back porch time sounds nice.  It was gorgeous here yesterday.  After The Hub went in to take a shower, I flopped down on the back deck and communed with the sun and the cats for about another hour.  For once, the wind had died down and it was so relaxing.

Unlike today - - - It's been like a tornado since I walked in this a.m.  I'm getting more used to the fact that my new boss is a very smart high achiever whose brain is constantly running at 98 miles an hour (mine, oh, about 50 miles an hour), but sometimes it drives me crazy.  Thankfully, she's in court the rest of the day.

Well, it was one of those mornings where I knew I needed to get up, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open.  And every time I went back to sleep, I'd dream.  My goal is to workout when I get home tonight.  I know that part of the problem is the Ambien I'm taking (otherwise, I absolutely do not sleep).  I used to be able to cut or break the pills in half, but they keep changing the size and shape, and this batch - the pills are really small.  *sigh* I sure will be happen when all this female peri-whatever crap is over so I can reclaim my life.  (And I can hear the other women laughing their butts off over that one. )

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Kids

Just a gentle rain today but after mid 80's and higher over the weekend, it feels fine.

I would normally have been running the NJ Marathon which was yesterday, and am glad I didn't. It was a real cooker and many DNF's because of it. Sweated it out with some push mower miles yesterday. Only aftermath from my trail race seems to be something itchy on my knees and shins. Eek!

Only aftermath from my trail race seems to be something itchy on my knees and shins. Eek!

Oooh.  Shoulda told you to wash up with Tecnu after your run.  Your clothes, shoes, everything.  The Hub gets poison oak really, really bad, so orders to him after my run were to not touch any of my clothes or my shoes.

The Tecnu will still help with the itching, etc.  You can usually find it at a CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc.

Don't scratch!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - glad you at least got a good workout out of that run - yikes! So many DNFs!!! It sounds more like one of those muddy-buddy obstacle-course type events than a trail run.

Cindy - that lady is SOMETHING! 80 miles a week! Makes me feel guilty for not cross-training more ever.

Jim - guess you have to take what you can get for now with running...think of all that other crazy cross-training you do. 

Ev - sounds like you're getting pretty much back to normal - a HM at the end of the month sounds like a reasonable plan. Hope the knee continues to settle down.

Hi to the rest of youse.

Nice HM in Visalia, the area is famous for it's 100-year-old oak trees, and for this statue

The original plaster came from the world's fair in San Francisco, and later was replaced with this bronze. The photo does not give it justice, and doesn't convey how HUGE it is! Very cool.. and moving.

Got in another trail run with my friends - they live near the Yosemite south entrance so we got to run in the park along Wawona creek up to some rapids. Nice way to wrap up the weekend.

Arla

Ex runner

Another gorgeous day here in OK.  Got in a nice 6er.  Felt very good.

Arla, I like the statue.  Reminds me of the Trail of Tears statue that is here in OK.  I'll have to find a pic and post it.  Looks very similar.  Nice runs.....at Yosemite none the less.  I see your inching back up your mileage.

Joe...hope you don't have the poison ivy/oak. 

Les, hope you get that workout in.   Workout in......that just sounds funny.

Arla mentioned the muddy buddy.  We're having one of those (or at least a take off of one of those) here in my hometown.  Sometime in June.  It's a two person team.  One person rides a bike while the othr one runs.  They do an obstacle then switch the bike and run.  That happens several times, then it ends with a crawl through mud.  I've got to find a partner with a bike.

MTA.....here's a link to the Trail of Tears statue.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/nalilo/5302325/

Wait a minute......I think it's the same one.  This one looks like maybe the plaster one.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Arla - A run in Yosemite sounds wonderful!

The "Trail of Tears" statue is very famous.  Ev, have you ever been to the Cowboy Hall of Fame there OKC?  Went once when I was a kid.  From what I remember, it was a very neat place.

Get a workout in - very funny.  I did, though!  30 min of stationary biking and at least 45 min of strength/core.

The Muddy Buddy events - Karen and I looked at one of those a couple of years ago in SF.  Don't know why we never did it.

There was another killer obstacle course event that my coach sent us a link to.  It looked freaking hard, but I was like, "Okay, okay.  Very hard but doable."  That is until I read that you had to crawl through a 400 ft tunnel.  Nope.  Nada.  Ain't gonna happen.  No, no, no, no, no, no, no.  And just in case you are misunderstanding me - No Freaking Way!! 

. . . . . I don't do tight, enclosed spaces.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

There was another killer obstacle course event that my coach sent us a link to.  It looked freaking hard, but I was like, "Okay, okay.  Very hard but doable."  That is until I read that you had to crawl through a 400 ft tunnel.  Nope.  Nada.  Ain't gonna happen.  No, no, no, no, no, no, no.  And just in case you are misunderstanding me - No Freaking Way!! 

. . . . . I don't do tight, enclosed spaces.

yup sounds like an Igloo Ed hike 'cept at race pace.

http://www.rmnpforums.com/forums/topic/17327-a-swarming-day-for-granny/page__hl__swarming

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

The "Trail of Tears" statue is very famous.  Ev, have you ever been to the Cowboy Hall of Fame there OKC?  Went once when I was a kid.  From what I remember, it was a very neat place. 

Yes, I've been there a few time.  Last time was about 12 years ago when evryothrday was a youngin'.

Jim......great experiences in RMNP!  Loved the photos.  Back at OSU I took a rock climbing class.  One weekend we went speluncking through the wild caves around Alabaster Caverns....bout a 30 minute drive from my house.  We had expert guides and went through some tunnel type sections where you pretty much had to be flat on your belly for awhile......then opened up into a big room.  No way would I have done that without an expert that new where and what he/she was doing.  From reading about Igloo Ed.....he's an expert.

Very cool pics, Jim.  I can go into caves, etc., so long as I can stand up, move around, someone's with me.  But a tight squeeze area, crawling on the belly, not seeing a light at the end - I think I would need Valium.

Last night got in a solid 30 min of cycling while maintaining the HR between 140 and 150, for the most  part, followed by about 45 min of core/strength training.  I'm using my BOSU more, even when lifting free weights, to get a good core workout the entire time and not just when I'm concentrating on that muscle group.

Surprisingly, I had a nice 5.5-mile run this a.m.  Usually my legs are really tired after an evening workout and I just don't feel as sproinky, but I felt great this morning.  Kept an average 9:35 pace, and never felt lead-legged, even on the inclines.

On a sad note, after 20 years of unconditional loving companionship, we had to put our old guy, Fatso, to sleep this morning.  Had extensive dental issues - along with other physical problems - and The Hub and I agreed that enough was enough.  They would have had to do tooth extractions, etc., and I just couldn't see putting him through all that, or if he would even survive the anesthesia.  I felt bad because I couldn't go back to the vet with TH.  I know this just killed him.  Fats has been his bed and couch buddy for a very long time.  Couldn't have asked for a more loving friend.  I'll miss our fireplace times and dancing.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Oh SHOOT Leslie! I'm so sorry!!  {{{R.I.P. Fatso}}}

Awesome day up in RMNP Jim! Love the bare feet in the creek! ~ amazing that just a short time ago, all of you were in winter gear....

Yup Arla, I'm definitely feeling like a slacker!!

...speaking of slackers....WTG Ev & LMD!! - the cloud watching, I meant!

We too have been doing a bit of yard work...even sectioned off (chicken wire & T-bars) a little area & tilled it up...will be my 1st attempt at a garden in MANY years!  last time was just feeding the local deer....this time it may become toddler entertainment.... hoping I can distract them with a combination of a turtle sandbox & pumpkins on the other side of the yard! & did have one scarey moment when Grandpa left the side gate standing open resulting in me getting to meet another of my lovely neighbors (who'd captured the two escaped toddlers) & a coupla deputies who were checking to make sure that all was okay...

Warm & Windy! here... mid 70's, gust'sover 50mph....got a wildfire up in Conifer today - 340 homes evacuated! must be heading towards Summer!  Mairead & I got a lazy 2.5 in before it got too warm & windy. 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

did have one scarey moment when Grandpa left the side gate standing open resulting in me getting to meet another of my lovely neighbors (who'd captured the two escaped toddlers) & a coupla deputies who were checking to make sure that all was okay...

Thanks, Cindy.

Me thinks that maybe the gate should become spring loaded so that it automatically closes now.  Not the best way to get to your neighbors or the local law enforcement.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie, so sorry.

flatland mountaineer

Sorry to hear about Fats Leslie......

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III